Make "evolve" button look different there is no room

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
There needs to be some visual indicator on the evolve screen that an alien does not have room to evolve. It is annoying to have to try multiple times as you move around trying to find a space to evolve. Someone could still click on "Evolve" if they really wanted, but would get the "you don't have room" message.

One implementation would be to show the "Evolve" button with a reddish "grey-out" background when there isn't enough room. As you move around and find a place with enough room, the button would go back to normal.

Comments

• subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    IMO it should work the other way around:

You choose your upgrades and when you close the evolve-menu (becouse of not enough room or another reason) all chosen upgrades are stored in your "shopping basket". When you recall the evolve-menu you'll see the lifeform and upgrades you chose last time you opened it, still ready to use or edit.
  • nilsnils Join Date: 2011-06-23 Member: 106039Members
    First. +1
    I like the idea, because it feel like a disturbing Bug now. And why dont use both, would be perfect. You when morphing makes no sense, And have a Shop.
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    I think it's better to not allow the menu to appear in the first place, unless there is room.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1865641:date=Aug 2 2011, 01:59 AM:name=Taxen0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Taxen0 @ Aug 2 2011, 01:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1865641"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it's better to not allow the menu to appear in the first place, unless there is room.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think thats the best solution, combined with that "error" sound when you press the evolve menu button
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1866033:date=Aug 3 2011, 05:54 AM:name=Schimmel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Schimmel @ Aug 3 2011, 05:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1866033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think thats the best solution, combined with that "error" sound when you press the evolve menu button<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That would be the quickest way to indicate not enough room/not on the ground, since evolving is already so time consuming. Adding as little time to the process as possible is vital to keeping things from becoming frustrating.