Lighting is too soft, also skulk and gorge abilities .

MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
I don't know if anyone has realised yet but lighting system appears to give any angled model surface a soft curved appearance, this looks ok and arguably good with some stuff but with others it takes something away from the style of a model, for instance with something you want to have defined angled edges, it ends up looking all soft and smooth, edge detail is lost and the look you want is gone.

Skulk wall walk should have the option to let go and detach using the crouch key, sometimes when you want to evolve in a certain confined space or corner you can't without a lot of messing around trying to find a good spot to change, this is because walk walk won't let you detach and sit on flat ground, it would also be useful to easily drop from high places without attaching to anything on the way down.

The gorge should be able to do more with structures, for instance with the crag he should be able to activate umbra, also maybe upgrade stuff using his own resources just by going up to them and using a quick menu or shortcut, a lot of the time a commander will be busy and manual stuff like umbra rarely gets used when its actually needed.

Comments

• Jason WhoreJason Whore Join Date: 2011-04-11 Member: 92514Members
    1 - rule 32
    2 - wtf? detaching works for me
    3 - if gorge could activate umbra no one could ever kill a gorge, it also would make alien comm the most lame and nooby thing in the game if he has nothing to do.
  • SewlekSewlek The programmer previously known as Schimmel Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16247Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1864562:date=Jul 29 2011, 07:49 AM:name=Jason ######)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jason ###### @ Jul 29 2011, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...
    3 - if gorge could activate umbra no one could ever kill a gorge, it also would make alien comm the most lame and nooby thing in the game if he has nothing to do.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

agree with you completely. only alien comms should be able to trigger chamber abilities. marine comm can participate in combat with med / ammo / catpack support and alien comm would not be required if the gorge could activate abilities (it would be better then to evolve to gorge, build the chambers at the front line and then trigger them as a gorge at the front lines, no comm required and you have additional bilebombs / heals)
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    Gorge activating umbra is just an idea, which i don't think is a bad one to be honest, how often does the commander use it, maybe when you have a good one but otherwise i rarely see it used, so i don't see the harm in the gorge using it.

As for the skulk i really think it would be a good idea to be able detach when you want with crouch, i don't have a problem coming off in general but it's when you want to evolve or drop off close to a wall that the problem appears.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864596:date=Jul 29 2011, 03:26 PM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Jul 29 2011, 03:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864596"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gorge activating umbra is just an idea, which i don't think is a bad one to be honest, how often does the commander use it, maybe when you have a good one but otherwise i rarely see it used, so i don't see the harm in the gorge using it.

As for the skulk i really think it would be a good idea to be able detach when you want with crouch, i don't have a problem coming off in general but it's when you want to evolve or <b>drop off close to a wall that the problem appears.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uhm, have you tried to keep your crouch button pressed until you've landed?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hmm, I think he wants a toggle option for detaching from walls. Press once to detatch/disable wallwalking, press again to enable wallwalking once more?
  • MagnetoMagneto Join Date: 2010-12-22 Member: 75856Members
    edited July 2011
    I could be wrong but at the moment it seems like you're still attached to the wall when you press crouch, at least from the point of view where the wall walking code is concerned, this seems to interfere with evolving when your close to a wall or in a confined space, i want crouch to disable the wall walk code when pressed and allow you to evolve more easily in those tricky places.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Haven't had a look at the code, but doesn't it also check for enough space around your egg evolve area?
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1864688:date=Jul 29 2011, 01:53 PM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Jul 29 2011, 01:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864688"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I could be wrong but at the moment it seems like you're still attached to the wall when you press crouch, at least from the point of view where the wall walking code is concerned, this seems to interfere with evolving when your close to a wall or in a confined space, i want crouch to disable the wall walk code when pressed and allow you to evolve more easily in those tricky places.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Holding Crouch turns wall-walking off entirely, making it impossible for you to stick to anything.

You can't evolve in a confined space because you need more room to evolve, has nothing to do with wall-walking.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1864559:date=Jul 29 2011, 11:35 AM:name=Magneto)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Magneto @ Jul 29 2011, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1864559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't know if anyone has realised yet but lighting system appears to give any angled model surface a soft curved appearance, this looks ok and arguably good with some stuff but with others it takes something away from the style of a model, for instance with something you want to have defined angled edges<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess it pretty much requires normal maps for hard edges. They should add support for smoothing groups, if its not in there.