Proposed changelog

AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
So, the whole idea of a beta is to try out stuff and make the game better/more fun. So instead of making many threads about each issue, lets propose a changelog.

The idea of this thread is that everybody can propose a changelog with as many items as he wants. I might actually update my post if i like ideas from other changelogs posted. I'm only going to use gameplay/balancing stuff, because of course everybody will put "optimization" in the changelog. I'm also going to choose one solution for each "problem", even if there might be alternatives that are also worth trying. I also try to make only items which are "easy" to implement, meaning, just tweaking some values (not like: add onos).

So let the fun begin :)

-Remove hit slowdown for everything except melee
-Cloack cysts 20 seconds after they finished building (needs scan to reveal)
-Increase bilebomb damage and splash radius
-Increase marine waepon costs to compensate picking them up
-Remove auto pickup if you already have a primary weapon (drop primary before picking up new one)
-Remove delay in fades primary attack (don't trigger hit with animation)
-Slightly increase lerk hp to addapt to closer combat style
-Slightly increase whip damage and range
-Revert change that makes alien com only use abilities of his hive
-Reduce grenade launcher bounciness

Comments

• TrueVeritasTrueVeritas Join Date: 2006-10-20 Member: 58082Members
    edited July 2011
    o General Marines o
    -Removed sentries from the game
    -Removed personal resources from the game on marines, commander can now put weapons into the armory
    -Medpacks and ammopacks (and catalyst packs in the future) now use team resources.
    -Removed power nodes and packs from the game, you can now build anywhere without worrying about whether it's powered or not (you must construct additional pylons!)
    -Added beacon back into the observatory. It costs 15 resources and will send all marines back to marine start.

o General Aliens o
    -Removed the alien commander from the game which lead to...
    -Alien structures no longer need infestation to be placed (or kept alive).
    -Infestation now slowly creeps out of the hive and expands throughout a map. It provides shorter-range vision when walked on, and slows marines down.
    -Infestation will also auto-generate postules. They are still just as easy to kill,
    -Movement chambers have been added. They allow aliens to move between hives quickly. They also allow the adrenaline and celerity upgrades.
    -Regeneration has been added as an upgrade to crags.
    -All aliens now have very small innate regeneration, similar to what they had previously when on infestation. The infestation now doubles this rate.

o Skulk o
    -Hive 1 leap has been removed and is now an auto ability gained from the second hive. To help aliens move around the map faster, they have been given a "mini-leap" which can only be used out of combat. It uses very little adrenaline and does no damage.

o Gorge o
    -Gorges can now build structures, similar to NS1.
    -Gave Hydras better hitboxes to make them more easy to hit around corners, so you don't have to take damage no matter what

o Lerk o
    -Fixed the Lerk flight model up a bit to be more like NS1.
    -Gave Lerk bite back since marines no longer permanently have shotguns.
    -Made spikes a hive 3 ability.

o Fade o
    -Fades are no longer locked to a second hive.
    -Changed the normal swipe attack back to what it was in 179.
    -Tapping mouse2 to blink will now instead cause you to gain a large amount of momentum, but not blink. This uses a very small amount of energy and is used to get around the map.
    -2 new abilities have been added, both are available automatically when a certain number of hives are complete.
    -On a second hive, fades gain "metabolize". This allows them to regenerate their health and adrenaline over a short period of time.
    -On a third hive, fades gain "acid rocket". Acid rocket is similar to gorge bile bomb, but has a much smaller radius and can hurt marines. This is to ensure there are no stalemates.

o General o
    -Slow on hit has been removed from the game.
    -ns_tanith, a popular NS1 map has been remade in NS2! It will be available on most server rotations.

o Server o
    -Added in admin controls, including kick/ban/mapchange
    -Added in options for map rotations
    -The netcode has been greatly improved. The average server should easily be able to handle 8v8 matches now.

There, I fixed the current build.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    I was actually hoping people would take that thread seriously and not troll. But i was wrong.
    <!--quoteo(post=1859972:date=Jul 12 2011, 03:11 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jul 12 2011, 03:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was actually hoping people would take that thread seriously and not troll. But i was wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm not trolling.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    What you proposed is to change NS2 into NS1. You know this is not going to happen, there is already a NS1 out there, go and play it if you like it that much.

So suggesting to change NS2 into NS1 and removing all changes that make NS2 a new game, is trolling because it is not constructive.
    <!--quoteo(post=1859975:date=Jul 12 2011, 03:19 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jul 12 2011, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What you proposed is to change NS2 into NS1. You know this is not going to happen, there is already a NS1 out there, go and play it if you like it that much.

So suggesting to change NS2 into NS1 and removing all changes that make NS2 a new game, is trolling because it is not constructive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1 is years of balance and development.

NS2 is NS1 with very few major differences and some minor difference that plays like NS1 1.04.

I'm not trying to get a rise out of you, I'm legitimately stating my opinion.
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    +1 for all TrueVeritas changes, except the "mini-leap" maybe.
    <!--quoteo(post=1859981:date=Jul 12 2011, 03:28 AM:name=Yuuki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yuuki @ Jul 12 2011, 03:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 for all TrueVeritas changes, except the "mini-leap" maybe.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Meh, I'd rather have bunnyhopping too but I can see some logic in not putting it back in.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2011
    Good thread.

-Scale structure health (including cysts) with number of players
    -Add cyst health-increase with proximity to hives
    -Add upward-compensation for lerk forward-flaps (so that a lerk flies forward in a straighter line)
    -Change shotgun pellet damage to 10 (constant)
    -Remove PRFK (personal resource for kill)
    -Add TRFK (team res for kill)
    -Change commander energy and personal resource abilities to TR (e.g. cysts, MACs, ARCs, Medpacks, Ammopacks)
    -Change flamethrower to burn energy away with direct-flame
    -Change "on fire" effect to merely slow (not stop) energy replenishment
    -Change "on fire" effect to constant duration proportional to target maxHP
    -Add activation cost to fade blink, but lower energy consumption of "ethereal" mode (less blink spam)
    -Change blink effect to imply a direction (not a smoke trail).
    -Have dropped marine weapons disappear when the marine who owned them respawns, or after 30 seconds (whichever comes first)
  • dickbassdickbass Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109402Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859960:date=Jul 12 2011, 02:24 AM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Jul 12 2011, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->o General Marines o
    -Removed personal resources from the game on marines, commander can now put weapons into the armory
    -Medpacks and ammopacks (and catalyst packs in the future) now use team resources.
    -Removed power nodes and packs from the game, you can now build anywhere without worrying about whether it's powered or not (you must construct additional pylons!)
    -Added beacon back into the observatory. It costs 15 resources and will send all marines back to marine start.

o General Aliens o
    -Infestation now slowly creeps out of the hive and expands throughout a map. It provides shorter-range vision when walked on, and slows marines down.
    -Infestation will also auto-generate postules. They are still just as easy to kill,
    -Movement chambers have been added. They allow aliens to move between hives quickly. They also allow the adrenaline and celerity upgrades.
    -All aliens now have very small innate regeneration, similar to what they had previously when on infestation. The infestation now doubles this rate.

o Skulk o
    -Hive 1 leap has been removed and is now an auto ability gained from the second hive. To help aliens move around the map faster, they have been given a "mini-leap" which can only be used out of combat. It uses very little adrenaline and does no damage.

o Gorge o
    -Gave Hydras better hitboxes to make them more easy to hit around corners, so you don't have to take damage no matter what

o Lerk o

o Fade o
    -Tapping mouse2 to blink will now instead cause you to gain a large amount of momentum, but not blink. This uses a very small amount of energy and is used to get around the map.
    -2 new abilities have been added, both are available automatically when a certain number of hives are complete.
    -On a second hive, fades gain "metabolize". This allows them to regenerate their health and adrenaline over a short period of time.
    -On a third hive, fades gain "acid rocket". Acid rocket is similar to gorge bile bomb, but has a much smaller radius and can hurt marines. This is to ensure there are no stalemates.

o General o
    -ns_tanith, a popular NS1 map has been remade in NS2! It will be available on most server rotations.

o Server o
    -The netcode has been greatly improved. The average server should easily be able to handle 8v8 matches now.

There, I fixed the current build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

wow i like that...

u should make a mod that does that if they dont do this.
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    edited July 2011
    There's no reason to make NS2 if you're just going to make it have all of the same gameplay mechanics as its predecessor. If you don't like the new features in NS2, NS1 is a free mod for Half-Life (which I think costs $5 on Steam) so you can enjoy "years of balance and development".

I like the ideas proposed for NS2. I agree with people's concerns that they aren't quite implemented right, but it's beta, and I think it is to be expected. I would suggest the following changes for B181:

Game Changes
    - Drastically reduce slow on hit (1/4th of what it currently is)
    - Place build restrictions on turrets, whips, crags, and hydras. Only so many of each structure can be within X radius of each other to prevent spamming.

Marine Changes
    - Marines walk full speed on infestation, but are unable to sprint
    - Increase shotgun cost to 20 PR, grenade launcher to 25 PR
    - Increase cost of turret to 15 TR. Increase turret damage by 20%
    - Modify grenade launcher so it's a separate weapon only able to shoot grenades (instead of a rifle attachment)
    - Introduce welder. Takes pistol weapon slot. Ability to repair armor, marine structures, and power nodes (power node repair 25% faster than "+Use" key)
    - Modify flamethrower so it does less damage against armor, but extreme damage against health. Alien structures on fire would not be able to heal until extinguished. Gorge healspray lessens time of structures to extinguish
    - MACs and ARCs cost PR again (6 and 16 respectively)

Alien Changes
    - Slightly decrease the amount of energy needed for fade to swipe
    - Remove fade secondary swipe attack
    - Add new fade ability "Howl". Fade produces a loud scream, which temporarily (6-8 seconds) provides a movement speed bonus to nearby aliens (+25%). Causes "Terror" effect to nearby marines, which causes a temporary (2-4 seconds) movement decrease (-25%). Researchable at whip for 10 TR
    - Increase cyst health based on time alive + proximity to hive (does not apply to mini cysts)
    - Introduce movement or sensory chamber (or both) -- aliens need more upgrades at this point in the beta
    - Slightly increase effective spike range for lerk
    - Introduce bombard / babbler abilities for whip and crag
    - Introduce regeneration (alien perk) for crag
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859975:date=Jul 12 2011, 10:19 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jul 12 2011, 10:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859975"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What you proposed is to change NS2 into NS1. You know this is not going to happen, there is already a NS1 out there, go and play it if you like it that much.

So suggesting to change NS2 into NS1 and removing all changes that make NS2 a new game, is trolling because it is not constructive.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I've already said it before, but expecting a revamped NS1 is what drew many people into NS2. You're saying play NS1, but it's getting really dated to the point where the entire game fits into most people's GPU-memory now. The textures are low-res and washed-out, particles-effects are limited, model polygon-count is similarly limited, well and so on. In spite of all that it is still being played, which says a lot about it's excellent gameplay, but there comes a point where the graphics start to do in even the most hardcore of players. I would expect a graphical revamp of NS1 to be seriously popular, and it doesn't just need to stay with a simple rehash, you could (CAREFULLY) add in some new things. Removing map-limitations for one (commanders can only look down, so room-over-room is a bit of a no-no in NS1), by giving commanders a free-look around the map (or similar viewing freedom), which we still don't have for NS2 btw. A little bit of AI-controlled 3D DI growing around newly built structures providing an additional hive-sight. Tiny things like that on top of a remake, but certainly not whatever the hell they're doing now (I don't think even UWE knows which direction they want to go to, they seem to be changing their minds and backtracking continuously).

/nostalgia
  • Gh0tiGh0ti Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109180Members
    o General o
    - Removed slowdown effect on all ranged attacks.

o General Marines o
    - Reverted changes to maximum damage of shotgun but kept the damage fall-off.
    - Added secondary melee attack to Shotgun
    - Slightly increased pistol damage at range.
    - Made medpacks and ammo cost TR instead of PR
    - Made Scan use 20 PR instead of energy
    - Slightly lowered the range of Flamethrower and made the burn-time constant instead of a random value.

o General Aliens o
    - Fixed the bug that sometimes won't let you place buildings/cysts until another building has been selected
    - Reduced energy cost of cysts to 15
    - Added Tumor tech for 25 TR (second hive?)
    - Added Tumor to drifter build menu. The Tumor must at first be connected to the hive by cysts, but once placed will act as a mini-hive in regards to cysts being connected. It also boast significantly more hp than ordinary cysts and a wider infestation range. 10 TR.

o Lerk o

- Increased Spore range to 15 m
    - Added headshots for the Snipe ability which does double damage
    - Slightly reduced damage of Snipe Bodyshots
    - Added a Secondary fire to Spores called Scourge. Scourge is a mass of small insects that makes Sentries in its Area Of Effect (The same as spores) go haywire for 7 (10? 12?) seconds, firing random shots in all directions (alt: overloading and not firing at anything). This effect can be dispelled by a using a flamethrower on the cloud of instects It costs a third of the Lerk's energy and does no damage to
    marines. Range 15 m.
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--coloro:#00BFFF--><span style="color:#00BFFF"><!--/coloro-->SUGGESTED MARINE CHANGES<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    - Health and medpack drops cost team resources
    - MAC and ARC cost team resources, but are cheaper (MAC = 5, ARC = 15)
    - implement distress beacon ASAP
    - lower marine armor welding rate by 25%
    - commanders drop weapons with team resources
    - advanced weapons can only be bought/dropped from advanced armory
    - remove slowdown when hit
    - increase sentry cost to 12
    - increase GL cost to 25
    - increase shotgun cost to 20
    - standardize flamethrower burn time based on alien armor level 7/6/5 seconds
    - make flamethrower obscure vision when burning in alien sight mode
    - make flamethrower actively sap alien energy on direct hits (ie, pouring on the fire can neutralize an enemy)
    - increase flamethrower damage to hive by 25%
    - slow flamethrower reload rate by 20%
    - add flamethrower and shotgun melee attacks
    - lower backup power node HP by 25%
    - add blue glow lighting to backup power node to better indicate location
    - increase knockback of marine melee attack by 25%
    - slow marine recovery from marine melee attack by 20%

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->SUGGESTED ALIEN CHANGES<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    - increase skulk walk speed 5%
    - increase skulk leap energy cost 25% (leave at hive 1)
    - let gorges "shoot" mini cysts and hydras
    - lower arc, increase distance on bile bomb
    - increase damage, splash radius, and energy cost on bile bomb 100%
    - cyst costs team resources
    - shrink cyst size by 25%
    - lower cyst cost to 3
    - increase cyst HP by 300%
    - increase cyst damage taken by flamethrower by 300%
    - add mega-node cyst upgrade (larger size, uncloakable) which will act as mini hive in case cysts are cut off (cost: 15)
    - lower cyst cutoff health decay rate by 100%
    - add individual cyst upgrade to cloak them for 5 res each (for EACH cyst, not a global upgrade)
    - remove slowdown when hit
    - add slowdown enemy on hit as an evolution option
    - increase hydra build time by 100%
    - fix/increase hydra hitbox
    - lower hydra armor
    - make gorge healing hydra slightly less effective somehow
    - add minimum distance between building hydras to force more creative placement than walls
    - increase whip HP by 50%
    - increase whip attack damage 25%
    - add very large knockback to whip attack (so proper placement would make them impassable, or even make pinball combo possible)
    - aliens can scroll through available eggs to hatch from with movement keys

<!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->SUGGESTED GENERAL CHANGES<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    - lower power node HP
    - speed power node repair rate
    - reimplement pulsing to black with destroyed power nodes
    <!--quoteo(post=1860041:date=Jul 12 2011, 09:12 AM:name=######bass)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (######bass @ Jul 12 2011, 09:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->wow i like that...

u should make a mod that does that if they dont do this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There is a mod for that -- its called 'Natural Selection 1' and you can get it for HL1 right now!
  • RanemanRaneman Join Date: 2010-01-07 Member: 69962Members
    Now here's a realistic patch, one we can all expect Unknown worlds to put out

o General o
    -Removed slowdown effect on all weapons, experiment is over

o General Marine o
    Changed marine health from 0 to ∞.
    Changed marine armor from 0 to ∞.
    Increased shotgun damage to 100 per pellet and removed damage falloff

o General Alien o
    Reduced cyst health from 600 to 300
    Reduced mini cyst health from 400 to 100
    Lerk now requires second hive
    Fade now requires third hive
    Hive health reduced from 6300 to 2000

o Skulk o
    Reduced bite damage and increased energy cost
    Made leap second hive ability

o Lerk o
    Reduced spike range from ∞ to 5m
    Reduced gas range from 10m to 1m
    New control scheme: press alt+shift+scroll lock+space to flap

o Fade o
    Reduced fire rate on swipe
    Reduced damage on swipe
    Removed blink
    Increased energy cost on all attacks
    Hey Raneman, you spent a lot of time on that. Imagine if you had put that effort into a real reply?
  • Rico5559Rico5559 Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109548Members
    edited July 2011
    Hakujin, really like your changelog, seems to make a lot of sense. Others, trolling and flaming is so kewl and makes you such kewl dewds.

One question
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->- slow recovery from marine melee attack by 20%<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

on the alien receiving the attack or on the marine that performed the attack?
    <!--quoteo(post=1860081:date=Jul 12 2011, 11:26 AM:name=Rico5559)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rico5559 @ Jul 12 2011, 11:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->One question

on the alien receiving the attack or on the marine that performed the attack?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I meant that the marine would recover slower after using performing a melee attack. I edited my post for clarity.
  • FloricedFloriced Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7129Members
    Well I havent played 180 yet, because of summer, but heres a little something from me too (since everyone else is doing it too)

-Migrate flash-ability from Drifter to Gorge
    -Consider the aliens could use Whips as active walls rather than turrets (so make the cheap?) Similar to Tremulous (videogame)

You know what? Never mind. Looks like I just wanted to make a post.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <ul><li> <b><u>Damage Types</u></b>: Further distinguish damage types. There are no inherent trade-offs between Light, Normal, and Heavy damage, as initially proposed. What happened to Heavy damage dealing EXTRA damage to Armor? Now it's just the ONLY weapon that deals 100% to Armor, which while relatively similar, is not strictly the same.</li><li> <b><u>Economy</u></b>: Give Res Nozzles a finite supply of Team Res (so no team can turtle sitting on one node)</li><li> <b><u>Medpacks:</u></b> Distribute (more) Healing between nearby Squad members (remember Medpacks no longer restore Armor)</li><li> <b><u>Commander:</u></b> Change all P.Res costs to T.Res costs (for Commander). P.Res is a way for GROUND UNITS to have autonomy, why do Commanders need P.Res?</li><li> <b><u>Marine</u></b>: Change "Current weapon affects MaxSpeed" to "Current weapon affects Acceleration", so that your maneuverability is affected by the weight and size of whatever mass you're wielding, but your MaxSpeed is not affected simply by switching weapons (MaxSpeed would still be affected by total loadout weight).</li><li> <b><u>Flamethrower</u></b>: Remove the chance to douse flames (change it to a timer if you must) and introduce spreading Flames!</li><li> <b><u>Hivemind</u></b> (Alien Commander): Change Alien Commander name to Hivemind (or Overlord?)</li><li> <b>Hivemind</b>: Make all immature Chambers available at Hive 1.</li><li> <b>Hivemind</b>: Make each Mature Chamber type require it's respective <i>Advanced Hive</i> (i.e. Mature Crag requires Crag Hive, Mature Shift requires Shift Hive, etc.)</li><li> <b>Hivemind</b>: Let Hives Evolve to Crag Hive, Shift Hive, or Shade Hive by selecting the research at the Hive itself.</li><li> <b>Hivemind</b>: Move all of the chamber-specific upgrades and researches to their respective Hives.</li><li> <b>Hivemind</b>: Give Fury, Umbra, Cloak, and Energize to Hives, each with their respective <i>Advanced Hive</i> as Prerequisites for enabling the ability (Crag Hive required to cast Umbra; N/A for Fury). Permit these abilities to be cast (from any Hive) on any Structure connected to the Casting Hive.</li><li> <b><u>Chamber Upgrades</u></b>: Increase the cost and efficacy of upgrades (Swarm, Frenzy, Carapace, Regen, etc.). Swarm and Frenzy are pretty underwhelming right now, but if they were more useful and more expensive they could be used to keep low-tier units relevant in the late-game.</li><li> <b><u> Alien Vision</u></b>: Increase the trade-off for using it or remove the ability to toggle it. Automatic: Scale the effect with the room's light levels. Manual: Only render entities in a short radius that would show up on the Hivesight (Allies, Structures, and Infested/Parasited Marines), but render them through all geometry (yes, wallhacks).</li><li> <b><u>Skulk</u></b>: Require Shift be held to wall-walk (will need to increase walking speed, but it can still be kept slower than running if Leap could be used more frequently).</li><li> <b>Skulk</b>: Tweak Leap such that it can be used more frequently. Suggestion: Reduce Energy Cost and LeapSpeed</li><li> <b>Skulk</b>: Move Leap to the Jump key (Current Jump is pretty useless)</li><li> <b><u>Lerk</u></b>: Move Glide to the MovementModifier key (Separate it from Flap)</li></ul>
  • Rico5559Rico5559 Join Date: 2011-07-10 Member: 109548Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damage Types: Further distinguish damage types. There are no inherent trade-offs between Light, Normal, and Heavy damage, as initially proposed. What happened to Heavy damage dealing EXTRA damage to Armor? Now it's just the ONLY weapon that deals 100% to Armor, which while relatively similar, is not strictly the same. ....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really like a lot of the ideas in your post, really work to separate the alien team from the marine team in terms of tactics and general feeling. Only point, I really don't like the idea of having to hold down a button for the skulk to walk on walls, I've always understood it to be a natural outcome of the skulks legs (referred to as "sword-like legs" in the NS manual) just being able to gain traction on any surface really.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    I agree with bringing back some more elements of NS1 back into NS2, and trying out some new functionality:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-Cloack cysts 20 seconds after they finished building (needs scan to reveal)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Would like to try this. Marines would still know that they're on infestation though when the temp-parasite appears and their walking/sprinting slows. May not need to adjust cyst hit points with this method. Could also later be added as upgrade with shade.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro-->-Removed power nodes and packs from the game, you can now build anywhere without worrying about whether it's powered or not (you must construct additional pylons!)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Partially disagree. Power nodes/packs are fine, but the entire map needs to have the power node mechanic (including secondary areas). If a room is fully lit you should be able to build in it as marines. You're already training commanders this mechanic with primary power node rooms, yet it does not apply to other lit areas of the map without the power pack. I really hope it gets unified at some point where the entire map is fair game for DI/powergrid battles. This is how I always envisioned the power grid/DI system when I read about it.

Essentially you could have a round where the entire map has emergency lighting provided aliens have taken everything over. Power packs should be used to power areas off the main grid, but lighting needs to be reduced (neutral, secondary areas) or something until full power is restored by power packs, or completely turned off except emergency when DI creeps in. If neither side holds the area, then it returns to its neutral lower lighting state (not dark/red, but not bright either).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#00FFFF--><span style="color:#00FFFF"><!--/coloro-->-Added beacon back into the observatory. It costs 15 resources and will send all marines back to marine start.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A million times yes. Please.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-Movement chambers have been added. They allow aliens to move between hives quickly. They also allow the adrenaline and celerity upgrades.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Or the shift chamber. Whatever that new chamber is. There needs to a be a way aliens can travel from hive to hive quickly to respond. Whether its through underground canals (coolest option), or using a chamber would work.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-Regeneration has been added as an upgrade to crags.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes. This will work better with inate regen only working on infestation.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-All aliens now have very small innate regeneration, similar to what they had previously when on infestation. The infestation now doubles this rate.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really miss innate regen off infestation. It allows aliens to be in hostile areas longer and encourages them to ambush more. I like this idea. Might be imbalanced with eventual regen upgrade though.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-Gorges can now build structures, similar to NS1.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Should be able to HELP build alien commander structures/chambers. Gorge should be alien comm support buddy. Gorge's helping alien comms take areas and drop RTs furthers this role. I miss being able to build as a gorge when things grow on their own now :(

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-Fades are no longer locked to a second hive.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The current NS2 implementation reminds me a lot of the old NS 1.0 versions. Essentially games will go back to the NS1 model where the good fade is the curve the entire game revolves around. Although it does give aliens a better chance for comeback on 1 hive. Would have to be tested.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-Tapping mouse2 to blink will now instead cause you to gain a large amount of momentum, but not blink. This uses a very small amount of energy and is used to get around the map.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really liked the fade movement in NS1 and it was really intense during heated firefights. If that feeling could be incorporated with the new blink mechanic it would be tops.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->-On a second hive, fades gain "metabolize". This allows them to regenerate their health and adrenaline over a short period of time.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's funny because I keep trying to do this in NS2 but remember he doesn't have it anymore. I miss this upgrade since the fade could operate a lot more efficiently in enemy territory instead of blinking halfway across the map to the hive or a gorge.

<!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->Hivemind (Alien Commander): Change Alien Commander name to Hivemind (or Overlord?)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Stick with that NS1 had and call him the Hivemind. It's good to differentiate from the marine's militarish "commander". The overmind guides and influences rather than orders his underlings.

---

And my suggestion:
    <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->
    Skulks get a wall walk toggle so they can truly run along the ceiling as well as they can on the floor. A button to hold down or an outright on/off toggle (or both) would be best. It's frustrating trying to stick to the ceiling and falling off just because you're looking down trying to scope out the area. I've gotten killed so many times having this happen <!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Above all I'd like to see how the powergrid/infestation mechanic is going to pan out. I just really want to have the entire map lit up with power, in a neutral or lower light state, or dark with emergency lighting.
  • Heroman117Heroman117 Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73268Members
    edited July 2011
    <u>General</u>
    -Remove slowdown on hit
    -Bring back light/faint red color of powered down rooms, along with slow pulses to black like in 179

<u>Marine</u>
    -Shotgun price raised to 20 (compensate for being able to recover dropped weapons)
    -Grenade launcher price raised to 25 (compensate for being able to recoverp dropped weapons)
    -You don't automatically pick up dropped weapons, you must drop your current weapon
    -sentries cost 20 resources again
    -remove repairing armor by hitting E, will be re-implemented when welders come back
    -Shotgun spread is reduced
    -Shotgun damage per pellet is 17 (same as Ns1) and is constant
    -Medpack cost raised to 2 again
    -Flame thrower reduces alien energy regeneration to 25%

<u>Alien</u>
    -Cysts can be connected without line of sight (but at a shorter range then if they still had line of sight)
    -Cysts have tripled health against conventional weapons (1800?), and have considerably higher regeneration
    OR
    -Cysts are hidden unless revealed by a scanner sweep
    -Cysts that are directly connected to a hive have 3x the health of a cyst that isn't connected directly to the hive
    -Fade swipe attacks restored like in 179
    -Whip attack distance increased
    -Fade blink energy usage reduced to 40/sec (was 45)
    -Alien commander can use the energy of any hive
    -Lerk spikes restored to what they were in 179
    -Increase Lerk spore range to 25
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    their are many great ideas in this thread, honestly speaking. developers need to seriously read through this.

I want them to add skill based movement for aliens. Also remove damage slowing, its one of the things makes me not want to play this build at all.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1859977:date=Jul 12 2011, 09:21 AM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Jul 12 2011, 09:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859977"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 is years of balance and development.

NS2 is NS1 with very few major differences and some minor difference that plays like NS1 1.04.

I'm not trying to get a rise out of you, I'm legitimately stating my opinion.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS1 also had to balance around the bugs in the HL1 engine.

More on topic, if I hadn't refunded the game I would stop playing if any sort of movement debuffs can be applied. Definitely unmoveable on the view that they have no place in FPS games.
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Here's some from my own bag, or others' but modified:

-Increase medpack cost back to 2 - this promotes switching comms mid-game, just like aliens kinda need to do to use all the hives' energy efficiently
    -Increase Spore range to 25m
    -Res nodes have limited supply of res, but can be determined by mapmakers -> More interesting map layouts
    -Extinguished res node would still trickle res, but only at 1/3 or 1/2 of the normal rate.
    -Skill based movement on all aliens classes and marines as well (Gorge strafehop ;_;)
    -Bring back light/faint red color of powered down rooms, along with slow pulses to black like in 179 - or even total blackouts sometimes, mapmaker decides

Here's what I liked by others, at a quick glance:

-Shotgun damage reduced
    -Cloack cysts 20 seconds after they finished building (needs scan to reveal)
    -Increase bilebomb damage and splash radius
    -Increase marine waepon costs to compensate picking them up
    -Remove auto pickup if you already have a primary weapon (drop primary before picking up new one)
    -Slightly increase whip damage and range
    -Revert change that makes alien com only use abilities of his hive
    -Scale structure health (including cysts) with number of players
    -Add cyst health-increase with proximity to hives
    -Slightly decrease the amount of energy needed for fade to swipe
    -Slightly increase effective spike range for lerk
    -Reverted changes to maximum damage of shotgun but kept the damage fall-off.
    -Added secondary melee attack to Shotgun
    -increase flamethrower damage to hive by 25%
    -slow flamethrower reload rate by 20%
    -add flamethrower and shotgun melee attacks
    -lower backup power node HP by 25%
    -add blue glow lighting to backup power node to better indicate location
    -cyst costs team resources
    -make gorge healing hydra less effective
    -Further distinguish damage types

What I disagree on:

Swarm and Frenzy are pretty underwhelming right now...
    - If you have a lerk with swarm hanging around fades, which also have swarm, they deal so much more damage together. Or two lerks with swarm using spikes & gas... almost each spike does additional +25 dmg.
    - More damage from swarm -> more overkill damage for frenzy. They combine nicely.
  • WasabiOneWasabiOne Co-Lead NS2 CDT Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104623Members, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1859960:date=Jul 12 2011, 01:24 AM:name=TrueVeritas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrueVeritas @ Jul 12 2011, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->o General Marines o

o General Aliens o

o Skulk o

o Gorge o

o Lerk o

o Fade o

o General o

o Server o

There, I fixed the current build.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

so what you are saying is you want it to be NS1..... problem with NS1 as far as balancing was that since a marine was COMM you were essentially down a player from the start again the aliens. I think you really need to embrace some new ideas otherwise whats the point of all this
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Someone can make a NS1 mod on the spark engine for all those people who want NS1 with better graphics. I rather like many of the new additions to NS2 (alien comm, DI, ARCs, etc).
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1860124:date=Jul 13 2011, 04:32 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Jul 13 2011, 04:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1860124"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><ul><li> <b><u>Damage Types</u></b>: Further distinguish damage types. There are no inherent trade-offs between Light, Normal, and Heavy damage, as initially proposed. What happened to Heavy damage dealing EXTRA damage to Armor? Now it's just the ONLY weapon that deals 100% to Armor, which while relatively similar, is not strictly the same.</li><li> <b><u>Economy</u></b>: Give Res Nozzles a finite supply of Team Res (so no team can turtle sitting on one node)</li><li> <b><u>Medpacks:</u></b> Distribute (more) Healing between nearby Squad members (remember Medpacks no longer restore Armor)</li><li> <b><u>Commander:</u></b> Change all P.Res costs to T.Res costs (for Commander). P.Res is a way for GROUND UNITS to have autonomy, why do Commanders need P.Res?
    .....</li><li> <b><u> Alien Vision</u></b>: Increase the trade-off for using it or remove the ability to toggle it. Automatic: Scale the effect with the room's light levels. Manual: Only render entities in a short radius that would show up on the Hivesight (Allies, Structures, and Infested/Parasited Marines), but render them through all geometry (yes, wallhacks).
    .....</li></ul><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

These are realy excellent changes. I would be surprised if they weren't modded if UWE didnt go this path. Tying the squad mechanic to med/ammo packs is ingenious and makes it actually useful.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859972:date=Jul 12 2011, 09:11 AM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Jul 12 2011, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859972"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was actually hoping people would take that thread seriously and not troll. But i was wrong.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sadly people having very questionable ideas are not automatically trolling, some people just really have bad ideas.