The Ready Room: Is it Necessary?

Lord_MandaloreLord_Mandalore Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109328Members
New player to the game as of today, and I've got to say that NS2 is an absolutely fantastic game, and I can tell the developers are really listening to the players on issues.

I am, however, a bit confused about why a 'ready room' is needed before games. I played a lot of Tremulous a while back, and people were automatically entered into the game as a spectator, and could choose which team to join through a menu. From what I can tell, the ready room seems to be a part of the map, though separated a far way off. Is it possible it could be causing any additional workload or lag?

I could be completely wrong about the workload issue, but I really am curious. Would the community prefer the ready room, or a system more like Tremulous?

Comments

• DooM-AUDooM-AU Join Date: 2011-06-27 Member: 106715Members
    It was in Natural Selection 1, and to be honest, all these years of crap console games, the ready room is 1000x better than 100% of the games on the PC that have been ported from a console.

is it necessary? no not really it could be just how the old days (with the GUI menu's), but as mentioned above it was in NS1 so they added it to NS2.

and also I think the Ready room is part of the map if i'm not mistaken.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The Ready Room is a vital component to the game.

It promotes player interaction before, during, and after the round. It allows you to wait for your friend without simply staring at your menu. And it just provides more fun when you join a server.

Can't really imagine NS without the Ready Room.

Besides, when the game is finally out it'll probably get the old ns1 commands where you can simply Press F1 to Join Marines. F2 for Aliens. ect. for the people who want quick access.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Inertia. RR was in NS1 so its in NS2. Personally, I've always found a spec w/menu works fine. I'd rather be watching the game in spec mode than idling in the RR.
  • wulf 21wulf 21 Join Date: 2011-05-03 Member: 96875Members
    edited July 2011
    It's part of the map but hardly will cause any lag. There is nothing in there besides joining players (would cause the same lag as spectator) and team-join triggers (they are loaded with the map and don't ever get updated over the network)
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It is something I associate strongly with NS, I suppose it's one of the defining features of the game, not an important one, but certainly a very unique one.

I don't know that it adds anything, but I don't know that it takes anything away either, it's just there.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    Ready room is essential to enter the rave room.
  • assbdaassbda Join Date: 2011-05-02 Member: 96737Members
    WTF IS THE PROBLEM?
  • Lord_MandaloreLord_Mandalore Join Date: 2011-07-09 Member: 109328Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1859404:date=Jul 10 2011, 08:26 AM:name=assbda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (assbda @ Jul 10 2011, 08:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1859404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->WTF IS THE PROBLEM?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Calm down. I'm just wondering what people think about it. It was a key component of NS1, and I was only curious as to whether people still felt this way.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    Yes.
    Actually, I think this requires some emphasis on one word.
    *ahem*
    <b>YES!</b>
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    people who aren't really into NS1: no
    people who are really into NS1: yes, wandering around in 1st person before changing teams is critical to NS2's identity as a game
  • eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    It hardly affects anybody if they get used to just using j1 and j2 while they are spectating to get ready for the game. The ready room isn't really necessary but enough people will try to justify it being in, kind of like how they try to justify bunny hops and devour hit and runs.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2011
    <b>Necessary</b>? No.
    <b>Preferred</b>? <u>Yes.</u>
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

.. personally I prefer RR against menu, or any über chat system ... etc..
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited July 2011
    As any aesthetic aspect of a game beyond simple GUI goes it isn't necessary from a game-play perspective generally no.

But from the perspective of giving a game an identity, a certain feeling and having a social function: yes.

Not to mention it's a fun extra outlet of expression for a mapmaker, be it to include credits to the map maker and all those involved in it's creation or to add a fun little easter egg like the rave room plenty of you are familiar with.