build 180

Comments

• OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858116:date=Jul 5 2011, 10:05 AM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ Jul 5 2011, 10:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of redundancy of networks, do the power nodes work in a similar way? I recall the devs talking about the power nodes being a network quite a while back. From my small time with the beta, I haven't noticed the power node system behaving that way. It seems that if the power node is not destroyed, the power is on no matter if there is not a connected path of nodes back to the comm station. I'm wondering if that is even still the vision for the powernode system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That was called the "power grid" system, which they have either put on hold or abandoned (not sure which). It used to be that the extractors acted as the powernodes (before there were powernodes).

Basically the Commander Centers acted as 'hives', and the extractors acted as 'cysts'. The connections depended on room layout.

You can read about it <a href="http://www.moddb.com/games/natural-selection-2/news/marine-power-grid-design" target="_blank">here.</a>
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1858116:date=Jul 5 2011, 06:35 PM:name=culprit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (culprit @ Jul 5 2011, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858116"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of redundancy of networks,
    [...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

rofl.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1858118:date=Jul 5 2011, 11:21 AM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jul 5 2011, 11:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That was called the "power grid" system, which they have either put on hold or abandoned (not sure which). It used to be that the extractors acted as the powernodes (before there were powernodes).

Basically the Commander Centers acted as 'hives', and the extractors acted as 'cysts'. The connections depended on room layout.

You can read about it <a href="http://www.moddb.com/games/natural-selection-2/news/marine-power-grid-design" target="_blank">here.</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ah yes! The power-grid is what I was remembering. So no word at all about something akin to that being implemented later on? I was fairly surprised when I saw my first power node because I thought the extractors would have held that role from previous dev comments. I guess with the portable powernode now in-game, it makes the power grid concept somewhat unnecessary. Oh well, the DI is really starting to shape up nicely with the cysts.
  • A[L]CA[L]C Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72801Members
    Ahh cant wait... guess theres no chance of it being tonight? :D
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858098:date=Jul 5 2011, 12:40 PM:name=matso)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (matso @ Jul 5 2011, 12:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858098"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The gorge can place cysts anywhere, but the cysts will take damage if they are not connected, so the gorge has to keep them alive by healing them now and then.

The commander can only place connected cysts. A cyst is connected if it can track a straight line to a hive or another connected cyst, so you can't place them without a straight line between them. This does mean that you usually need to place them in exposed locations, vulnerable to pistol sniping.

Placing a connected cyst causes all unconnected cysts with a track to the new cyst to become connected. If a cyst becomes unconnected, it checks if it can find a track to a connected cyst, and then connects to that one instead. So the aliens can build redundant tracks to give themselves some extra resiliance vs marine attacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in other words, don't expect to much from this new infestation. Once people realize this, its actually pretty big nerf.
    cysts must have sort of defenses, especially like cloaking and only scan would reveal their location. Also allowing the gorge to spit cysts into any location would be nice, seeing them all over the ground totally exposed like that is just way to easy for marines.

this change reminds of aliens main hive, it has no power node, bright lights - totally exposed to the marines. Pretty much walk through if marines are charging through. While other locations have power nodes, with darkness helping aliens. charlie posted awhile back why its like that, but he is totally wrong about this. Alien main hive should NOT be exposed like that. I'm sure mappers would change this quickly.

I'm looking forward to see new lerk flight movement, I hope its actually more like ns1 lerk flight.. I just wish lerk bite was added back, if charlie wants the lerk to be close combat fighter, why not add lerk bite? instand he plans nerfing spikes range, and aim - so lerk would fight at close range. I find this a silly idea, but i could be wrong. I just miss lerk bite, it was fun, and not having it feels completely awkward.

edit

I also hope for alien movement improvement.
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    I am super psyched to see the infestation changes in place.
    I am hoping that it will result in less planting of infestation...but the cysts themselves are hard to kill.

I do like the cyst concept and its look.

I am psyched to try new Lerk, especially because previous lerk left me scratching my head
    and mid game skulk cannot compete with shotgun and upgraded armor.

I am really hoping we get a performance boost from the occlusion culling.
    But I am willing to wait until its solid.
    The last performance boost was more server side but was totally worth the wait.

I am still hoping they come up with something for the turret problem...but I know its not likely for 180.
    I am sure they have something stewing ....but I am guessing they do not want to show their hand just yet.

Overall I am excited.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Excited to see the changes to summit with that weldable door.....oh...does that mean there will be welders in the next patch?!
  • WispWisp Join Date: 2007-12-18 Member: 63211Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    If you play Starcraft 2, they are creep tumors.
  • IronHalikIronHalik Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104611Members
    edited July 2011
    So, can we expect the 180 goodies somewhere today or on a later date? :>
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1858163:date=Jul 5 2011, 11:59 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jul 5 2011, 11:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858163"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Excited to see the changes to summit with that weldable door.....oh...does that mean there will be welders in the next patch?!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No. I think the doors will work the same way they do now. A MAC can weld a door shut (or is supposed to be able to in the future). I know they said they want infestation to unlock doors, but don't know if that's going to make it in 180 or not. From what I understand a locked door by the marine commander can be unlocked by infestation. A door welded shut by a MAC can only be busted open by an onos.
    edited July 2011
    I support the addition of a weldable doors in Summit. I think its something it needed.

<b>"added route with weldable door from Marine Start/Ventilation to that catwalk area in Crossroads "</b>

It sounds like an entirely new route. Where those unused doors are. I'm not sure thats what Summit needed.. if indeed that is the case. But i'm willing to test it out.
  • AezayAezay Join Date: 2003-04-19 Member: 15660Members
    edited July 2011
    Wouldn't a door from pretty much marine start to Crossroads, make it a little too easy for marines to control that area?

It allows marines to easier get another resource node, and it also makes crossroads, which has many entry ways already, an undesirable hive location?
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858238:date=Jul 5 2011, 09:00 PM:name=Aezay)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aezay @ Jul 5 2011, 09:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wouldn't a door from pretty much marine start to Crossroads, make it a little too easy for marines to control that area?

It allows marines to easier get another resource node, and it also makes crossroads, which has many entry ways already, an undesirable hive location?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well what I am afraid will happen is that route will be used exclusively as an easier way for marines to shotgun push crossroads and prevent aliens expansion there.

The reason I wanted weldable doors in summit was as an option for marines to gain map control without needing to do all-in shotgun pushes (or sentry spam)...and to maintain that map control even once fades are out. I don't see this new route and door doing either. What I really wanted to see were weldable doors in existing routes. Basically as a way to tie down the volatility of the early game, and bring some needed structure and stability without resorting to turret spam.

Doors also should really be tied to the power system. Right now a marine commander can shut and lock all doors on the map...even if all power is out in the map. If doors are tied to power, it would allow for more doors to be placed on maps, but without giving marines so much early game advantage. Plus it gives aliens another means to open locked doors (assuming no power = open door), and would give marines more incentive to weld doors shut as to prevent them from opening even if the power is cut.
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858243:date=Jul 5 2011, 10:48 PM:name=OutlawDr)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (OutlawDr @ Jul 5 2011, 10:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858243"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Doors also should really be tied to the power system. Right now a marine commander can shut and lock all doors on the map...even if all power is out in the map. If doors are tied to power, it would allow for more doors to be placed on maps, but without giving marines so much early game advantage. Plus it gives aliens another means to open locked doors (assuming no power = open door), and would give marines more incentive to weld doors shut as to prevent them from opening even if the power is cut.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I totally agree with this.
    From what i see it, this is how doors should work:

Door unlocked: door opens for everyone
    Door locked: door only opens for marines
    Power out: door opens and stays open (inactive mode)
    Door welded: door will be closed and stay closed (wall-mode)
    Onos can crack open welded doors
    Infestation will open all doors and they stay open (inactive mode)
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858345:date=Jul 6 2011, 09:47 AM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Jul 6 2011, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I totally agree with this.

Infestation will open all doors and they stay open (inactive mode)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • Taxen0Taxen0 Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73357Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1858345:date=Jul 6 2011, 01:47 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Jul 6 2011, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I totally agree with this.

Onos can crack open welded doors <b>(door destroyed)</b>
    Infestation will open <b>locked</b> doors and they stay open (inactive mode)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    minor tweak and it's good.
  • HakujinHakujin Join Date: 2003-05-09 Member: 16157Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1858345:date=Jul 6 2011, 09:47 AM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Jul 6 2011, 09:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I totally agree with this.

Infestation will open all doors and they stay open (inactive mode)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Perfect.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858046:date=Jul 5 2011, 03:35 PM:name=Cyberwarrior00785)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cyberwarrior00785 @ Jul 5 2011, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858046"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->thx dude so sense gorges can place them does that mean they will stay now if connected to another network<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I keep imagining that you're a New Zealander.

+0.9 on what subshadow said, and add what Taxen0 said. Infestation shouldn't arbitrarily open welded doors.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    One of you guys should actually post these Ideas in the suggestion section, I like it.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1858345:date=Jul 6 2011, 01:47 PM:name=subshadow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (subshadow @ Jul 6 2011, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I totally agree with this.

Yes, what you wrote is pretty much what the plan has always been, just not fully implemented in game yet.

Here is how we had planned it based on internal discussions, but of course this is all subject to change.

Door welded: door will be closed and stay closed

Onos can crack open welded doors AND locked doors. Locked doors will be easier and faster to open then welded ones, maybe just one hit from an Onos as opposed to numerous hits. Once a locked door has been smashed it will be open, but will still be functional, but a welded door will be destroyed permanently.

Infestation can probably open locked doors, and also the gorge, since he spreads infestation, can probably open locked doors. Not sure yet if the infestation would permanently destroy the lock or just temporarily disable it.

--Cory
  • Me9aMe9a Join Date: 2008-03-27 Member: 63981Members
    so you give marines the option to weld up from onos destroyed doors
    that they are locked afterwards.

would be pretty cool

MFG Mega
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Sounds good, although I'd like to see the ability to repair a destroyed welded door from the onos. The marines would have to send a MAC and possibly use team resources to make a new door. As is, why would the marines want to weld a door shut since it could be permanently opened by an onos? Locking it would be the better choice as it can never been permanently destroyed and still blocks 90% of alien traffic.
  • WorthyRivalWorthyRival Black Armor Division Join Date: 2006-11-07 Member: 58470Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Infested doors could have the old NS1 webbing across them. slowing marines if they don't have a welder.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858428:date=Jul 6 2011, 04:29 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 6 2011, 04:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858428"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, what you wrote is pretty much what the plan has always been, just not fully implemented in game yet.

Here is how we had planned it based on internal discussions, but of course this is all subject to change.

Door welded: door will be closed and stay closed<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Keep this up and I won't have to write my own mod! In the past months quite a few of the things I've changed for my side project have ended up becoming official changes (in parallel) to the game.

For instance, I've had this functionality coded in the doors on the project I'm working on, as well as the "Gas does not damage Armor" update :)
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1858430:date=Jul 6 2011, 08:38 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jul 6 2011, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858430"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds good, although I'd like to see the ability to repair a destroyed welded door from the onos. The marines would have to send a MAC and possibly use team resources to make a new door. As is, why would the marines want to weld a door shut since it could be permanently opened by an onos? Locking it would be the better choice as it can never been permanently destroyed and still blocks 90% of alien traffic.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, that might be a good way to go. All the welding stuff is really pretty up in the air right now.
    <!--quoteo(post=1858451:date=Jul 6 2011, 11:03 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Jul 6 2011, 11:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858451"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Keep this up and I won't have to write my own mod! In the past months quite a few of the things I've changed for my side project have ended up becoming official changes (in parallel) to the game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heh, yup. The current game is kind of far from being an example of what the final game is going to be like. There's a huge list of tasks for all the features still planned to go in, so working on any kind of extensive mod like that which adds gameplay features is a bit risky. Doing small bug fixes and quick feature additions that are easily integrated can be helpful for us, though, as we've already been integrating a bunch of that small stuff from the community here and there.

--Cory
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1858456:date=Jul 6 2011, 08:00 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jul 6 2011, 08:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858456"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Heh, yup. The current game is kind of far from being an example of what the final game is going to be like. There's a huge list of tasks for all the features still planned to go in, so working on any kind of extensive mod like that which adds gameplay features is a bit risky. Doing small bug fixes and quick feature additions that are easily integrated can be helpful for us, though, as we've already been integrating a bunch of that small stuff from the community here and there.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Well, luckily it's all been to gain experience with the Spark, the API, and Lua, so there's very little I've done that feels wasted.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    How about instead of infestation making doors malfunction and open, it makes doors unweldable? After all, taking out the Power Node will make the doors inactive and open.
  • SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    So by the looks of the implementation, we aren't going to have infestation on the walls and roof anymore =[
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1858482:date=Jul 6 2011, 09:18 PM:name=Skware)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skware @ Jul 6 2011, 09:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So by the looks of the implementation, we aren't going to have infestation on the walls and roof anymore =[<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not the current implementation, but the plan is to have the 3D version cover walls and ceilings, probably proportionate to how long the Hives/Cysts have been created.
  • matsomatso Master of Patches Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 7000Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Shadow, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1858482:date=Jul 7 2011, 06:18 AM:name=Skware)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skware @ Jul 7 2011, 06:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1858482"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So by the looks of the implementation, we aren't going to have infestation on the walls and roof anymore =[<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, you can place cysts on the wall and they will cover the wall (but not much of the floor ...), and if a gorge can reach the roof, he can place a pustule there and cover the roof with infestation - and hydras, of course.