Your feedback on our tweets here

Comments

• Enhance89Enhance89 Join Date: 2009-11-04 Member: 69261Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1855484:date=Jun 22 2011, 02:57 PM:name=NurEinMensch)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NurEinMensch @ Jun 22 2011, 02:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855484"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'd rather have a per gorge hydra limit, maybe combined with a hydras per area limit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If they limit them per gorge you'd have people going gorge and dropping them all in the same place. I think a hydra per area limit is more reasonable.
  • elodeaelodea Editlodea Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67877Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    does anyone know why there are discrepencies between marine kills and alien deaths? dots are missing or in different places...
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855559:date=Jun 23 2011, 12:58 AM:name=elodea)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elodea @ Jun 23 2011, 12:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->does anyone know why there are discrepencies between marine kills and alien deaths? dots are missing or in different places...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I know it.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Well if your a marine and you shoot a rifle shot from 50m away, your location as marine and alien differ?
  • yodayoda Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23619Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah with the flipping thing, I was basically just trying to figure out the relationship between the world co-ordinates and the minimap, I kinda figured that firstly the x y and z coodinates on x and z were really the x and y coordinates of a 2d object and the world y coordinate was being used as their z axis as in height because of the way 3d graphics is generally done. Where y is up down and x is left right and z is in and out. The flip i did because i couldnt get the points to line up with the map and i thought maybe the minimap was taken from under or something.

Anyone got any ideas in regards to the flip?
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1855577:date=Jun 23 2011, 01:30 AM:name=yoda)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yoda @ Jun 23 2011, 01:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855577"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah with the flipping thing, I was basically just trying to figure out the relationship between the world co-ordinates and the minimap, I kinda figured that firstly the x y and z coodinates on x and z were really the x and y coordinates of a 2d object and the world y coordinate was being used as their z axis as in height because of the way 3d graphics is generally done. Where y is up down and x is left right and z is in and out. The flip i did because i couldnt get the points to line up with the map and i thought maybe the minimap was taken from under or something.

Anyone got any ideas in regards to the flip?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Since the points seem to fit, try to photoshop it? ^^

Probably even paint has a function to mirror pictures.
  • yodayoda Join Date: 2003-11-27 Member: 23619Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Oh right that I didnt mean how to flip, I know how to do things like that I was more concerned that if its a valid assumption or relationship with the points. The way i found it was just brute force with some assumptions about how the points would be collected. Also the image I uploaded is a screenshot of the local webpage i made to do it, it just takes a json dump (because you cant load the json directly due to xss restrictions on same domain stuff). So you can just refresh or enter different data and it works I dont know really where to put it yet as I would have to proxy the data first to allow the json to be called into the app. It also isnt finished. I hope to add some statistics about most kills by what gun/weapon and what dies the most and what has the shortest lifetime / longest lifetime. Its a shame the data isnt more granular as we coiuld find out cooler things about strategy. I also hope to add a playback feature as kills occur over time.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1855495:date=Jun 22 2011, 10:44 PM:name=Enhance89)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Enhance89 @ Jun 22 2011, 10:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855495"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If they limit them per gorge you'd have people going gorge and dropping them all in the same place. I think a hydra per area limit is more reasonable.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be an individual limit. Someone else going gorge would still be able to place all of theirs.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Individual hydra limits and hydra lifespans are fine, but it seems a little unfair with the whip being pretty useless and unlimited turret halls lasting for hours.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->There's a lot of "test, test, 1, 2, 3" around the office as Max rewrites our voice layer (to support multiple voices) #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exciting. Hopefully it uses the steamworks SILK codec, best ingame voice quality ever.

Can't wait to see who's talking next patch.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Would love to see:

1) CS style chat bubbles (?) appearing in the corner of the screen so you know who's talking
    2) 'Chat bubble' icon hovering over someones head, so you know whos talking too?
    3) Commander chat (and voice info) should appear in a different colour so you can tell when someone says 'please do this' they have a bit more authority behind the request :)
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Woo! New patch next week :D
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Hrr, the trouble with slow on hit is that it kind of turns the game into who gets the first hit.

If skulks were agile enough I wouldn't be too averse to it, if they could dodge sideways once they start taking hits, but they are kind of weak at the moment.

Skulks being able to easily kill marines if they get into bite range I don't so much mind, because that's kind of sensible, but I worry about it being a bit weird with marines attacking skulks and slowing them down.

However on other lifeforms though, it could be interesting, especially the onos, if you could slow it down by shooting it a lot it would lead to pretty cool situations where marines are running from one while hammering it with bullets to stop it from catching them. With onoses bullets should still slow them down even if they're bone shielding, and it would also be interesting for fades too.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    the only thing should be doing slow on hit, are whips and maybe hyras.

they're avoiding the underlining problem with this "fix", the aliens are slow with limited movement, that is why they cannot close the gap needed. And marines already have sprint, making things even more tougher for aliens. The problem is in the MOVEMENT.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited June 2011
    Most FPS games have slow on hit. In fact it kinda surprised me when I read that and then realized that you didn't slow on hit in NS2.

I'm definitely willing to try it out and see how it goes. I hope it improves the skulk at close range. Although I'm not sure how gunfire slowing down a skulk (without leap) will go down. It could be too much as I already feel skulks are quite weak.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited June 2011
    Slow on-hit gives rifle a bigger boost and added utility throughout game ....more so than other marine weapons due to their high ROF.

A flamer, rifle and shotgun can make a good combo for taking down a fade. Flamer gets the dot on him preventing excessive blinks, rifle slows him down preventing escape and sg finishes him off.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I was under the impression that all forms of damage would be slow on hit?
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1855981:date=Jun 23 2011, 10:21 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 23 2011, 10:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was under the impression that all forms of damage would be slow on hit?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It is only under consideration. The actual design and implementation are finished yet.

There are many variables that can be tweaked to achieve the desired effect: magnitude and duration of the slow, and possibly even different slow effects from different weapons. I think the testing will be very interesting.
  • OutlawDrOutlawDr Join Date: 2009-06-21 Member: 67887Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1855981:date=Jun 24 2011, 12:21 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 24 2011, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855981"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was under the impression that all forms of damage would be slow on hit?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes but since the rifle has high ROF it is able to put out more hits. They are able to slow targets down more effectively, since they have a higher chance of hitting the target. but twiliteblue is right, it would also depend heavily on duration and magnitude. If the slow down has a high duration then the rifle loses some of its advantage in this.

For example, pretend the slow down dropped the target to 50% movement speed on hit...and then over the next second incrementally increased the speed back up to 100%. The rifle (with its high ROF) would be able to repeatedly keep the target down at 50%. A shotgun would also drop the target's speed to 50% on first hit. However, the target would go back up close to a 100%, before the next sg hit dropped it back to 50%....assuming the shotgun hits the target.

If the however the slow down last 2-3 seconds at 50% speed....and once over the target goes back immediately to 100%...then the shotgun would be nearly as effective as the rifle at slowing down targets.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    Add in webs and concussion grenades or something like that if you have to, but no general slow on hit please!!!
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bump to clear bot off front page
  • MrYiffMrYiff Join Date: 2004-08-24 Member: 30867Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited June 2011
    And back to the top it goes :D

Skulk golf = best golf ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1tZFJHfxJY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1tZFJHfxJY</a> and <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysqBH_IfvM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysqBH_IfvM</a> for anyone who missed the tweet)
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1857185:date=Jun 29 2011, 01:58 PM:name=TheReaper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TheReaper @ Jun 29 2011, 01:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857185"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And back to the top it goes :D

Skulk golf = best golf ( <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1tZFJHfxJY" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1tZFJHfxJY</a> and <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysqBH_IfvM" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ysqBH_IfvM</a> for anyone who missed the tweet)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Skulk knockback looks awesome. I hope they allow it to work against all alien classes.
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk knockback looks awesome. I hope they allow it to work against all alien classes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hmm Onos golf would be fun...
  • VarXXVarXX Join Date: 2011-01-24 Member: 78824Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1855902:date=Jun 23 2011, 10:40 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 23 2011, 10:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1855902"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exciting. Hopefully it uses the steamworks SILK codec, best ingame voice quality ever.

Can't wait to see who's talking next patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I believe that was the old codec it was using. The steamworks codec has a problem though where it sends the audio out ~5 seconds after it's said. You can see it in action in the current builds of NS2, Fear 3, Dawn of War 2, Duke Nukem Forever, etc.
    <!--quoteo(post=1857198:date=Jun 29 2011, 06:12 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Jun 29 2011, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857198"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Skulk knockback looks awesome. I hope they allow it to work against all alien classes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, I'd totally love to push a Onos back 20 feet with a rifle butt.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1857207:date=Jun 29 2011, 03:33 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 29 2011, 03:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1857207"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, I'd totally love to push a Onos back 20 feet with a rifle butt.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Onos soccer/football map. Do I need to say more?
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    I think if you try to Rifle-bash an Onos...

Your arm should break.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited July 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Added the ability for marines to repair each others armor with +use. This may move to the welder later. #fb<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol, oh my god!

i like how they said this "may" move to the welder later. So in other words, its perfectly fine or they have no time to add the actual welder?

so which is it?

since they are focusing on the engine now, bug fixes and more balance, how is this remotely a good thing?
    am I understanding this correctly, so if I'm a marine I can just run up to my teammate, push E and repair his armor?

Just like pushing E on power nodes I'm guessing, no upgrades required, no research was done, every marine has this ability by default.

charlie you need to invest more time in adding the welder, which can be bought from the ARMORY since you like marines having personal res, let them buy it from there.

-

they are working on making this rifle knockback while the problem with alien movement is moved aside and damage slows marines should totally fix everything.
  • hf_hf_ Join Date: 2011-06-10 Member: 103639Members
    Marines should be able to repair power nodes without buying anything as aliens are able to destroy them without upgrading or evolving.

I think welders should be included in the game with functionality similar to NS1. You would have to buy it, and it would replace the pistol slot (so you cannot have a pistol and a welder). The welder can repair armor instead of just hitting the 'E' key on other marines, which, I agree, is somewhat silly. Certain vents should also be weldable -- this would cause them to close shut. Aliens can overcome this by "infesting" around the vent area, which would break the weld and open the vent back up.

I'd like to see lockable doors become unlocked once the power goes out as well. They would open by default once the power node is destroyed. Only powered doors should be lockable. Adding to this, doors should also be weldable, which would close them completely even if the power is out, and marines would not be able to open them again unless they re-welded the door (you'd make this a secondary attack of the welder, applicable to vents as well). The only way to overcome this from the alien perspective is infesting the door or using the charge ability of the onos.

I think these suggestions could create interesting battles as the map traffic can be segmented and re-routed based on marine actions. Also, I think marines need some balance to counter the aliens' ability to infest. Marines should be rewarded for keeping the power on in certain rooms, just as aliens receive a regeneration bonus for being on infestation, and the infestation slows the marines and makes them visible on hive sight.