Low FPS and Connections problems

ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Members, Reinforced - Supporter
edited June 2011 in Technical Support
I'm aware current game performance isn't always great, but I have a feeling it's not all down to version or server issues in my case.

I'm experiencing the 'Connections problems detected...' error on a regular basis. Both on wifi and wire. My ports are forwarded (HL2 settings), Steam community is disabled and NS2 has full permissions in Windows firewall.

I've also found that my fps drops down to as much as 8 fps. Even on a local game. In-game it's usually between 10-22. With 30-35 being max in RR or quiet areas.

Link to dxdiag: <a href="https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1sRvIeBsgO4KHo_Y5u3AnY8wLgQj9gkmFtlUfwMwH1_U" target="_blank">https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1sR...gkmFtlUfwMwH1_U</a>

Overall it's just not a smooth experience, never mind when I'm in combat. That just tends to be a slideshow.
Ping tends to be very good, I'm not downloading anything while playing as far as I'm aware and not much else is running except for a browser and messenger programs.

If anyone can spot an issue with my system or offer any advice, I'd be much obliged. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    It's not your system.
  • ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Tried installing PhysX but the installer is busted. One screen just says 'Text' with a cancel button. =/
    Also trying lowering graphic settings. Haven't been able to test it properly as I've been kicked out with Connection problems detected... every single time.
    Also tried 'flash false' and something with 'bloom' earlier, but that didn't seem to make any difference at all.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1856497:date=Jun 26 2011, 10:27 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jun 26 2011, 10:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not your system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

His system is good yes, but certainly not amazing. That's not really helpful Thaldarin, as you don't have access to his system so can't make a definitive diagnosis. I will attempt to provide more help in my post.

Things I notice in your dxdiag file:

Firstly, your Graphics drivers are out of date: 10/22/2010

Secondly, your GFX chip is a GeForce 330GT - A medium to low-end Graphics chip. You're running at full 1080p and probably at high game settings. Most games from a few years ago will work fine with that setup, but NS2 is not yet fully optimised so you'll probably get not-great performance.

Thirdly, you CPU is the same as mine, and I get much superior performance, so there must be a bottleneck somewhere. I'd tend to think it's your Graphics chip.

--

To try and fix your low FPS issues I would do the following:

1) Update your BIOS via Acer's website. (This often can help with RAM compatibility and speed)

2) Update your Intel Inf drivers to the latest from Intel.com (can help with motherboard resources)

3) Upgrading your Graphics drivers by getting the latest from Nvidia.com lowing your resolution & changing to medium settings. See if this improves. (The 330GT had a number of software issues when it first came out due to buggy drivers that were acknowledged by Nvidia partners)

Try those, and get back to us and see if things have improved :)

Enjoy NS2!
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1856516:date=Jun 26 2011, 10:40 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 26 2011, 10:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1) Update your BIOS via Acer's website. (This often can help with RAM compatibility and speed)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

either skip this step entirely or backup everything you ever want to see again before doing it.
    bios flashing is notorious for being a crapshoot whether or not it works or completely destroys your system. if it can be avoided, do so. i usually do it only when i'm setting up my system for the first time as the failure rate is typically higher than say updating your gfx drivers.

other than the things listed by obraxis, which i completely agree with, do these things after:

<ul><li>download speedfan. its free and monitors your temps. </li><li>download prime95 its also free and it will stress test your system.</li><li>run the most demanding test with prime95 (forget which option that is atm) and monitor your temps at the same time.</li><li>if things overheat your system can often times downclock itself and give you this "wtf is going on?" situation.</li></ul>
    <ul><li>thirdly, afterwards download and install the free "cpu-z" program and repeat the above processes and watch your core speed. if it drops at all when running prime95 or hot you have your culprit. if it fluctuates when nothing is running don't worry thats just intel's speedstep tech downclocking itself when not in use. (toggle-able in bios)</li></ul>

report back with results. :)
  • ThinGThinG Lord of wub and vlaai Join Date: 2003-04-11 Member: 15400Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2011
    Thank to everyone for taking a look at the dxdiag. Quite a few things to try. I'm going to test asap and report back. Thanks!
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    You're going about it incorrectly by using a piece of alpha software as a reference for how proper your system is configurated. Instead try a benchmarking application (along the lines of 3DMark or similarly) to gauge your system's performance, and check if it corresponds with the baseline. I imagine 2 nearly identical systems _can_ get radically different performance in NS2. Also I absolutely would not update your BIOS unless you are certain it may be the culprit, it's not something that belongs on an optimization-checklist.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1856530:date=Jun 26 2011, 01:57 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Jun 26 2011, 01:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're going about it incorrectly by using a piece of alpha software as a reference for how proper your system is configurated.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

DxDiag has been around for a long, long time. That's what I used to assess and give my recommendations. NS2 is not optimised yet, so we ahve to do our best to work-around the limitations as best we can until it is better. Seeing as NS2 is the game he wants to play, it's best he runs that before and after to see if there is a difference.
  • endlesschangeendlesschange Join Date: 2011-06-22 Member: 105800Members
    U can tweak you pc as much as you want it wont help. Mine is setup just fine for competitive gaming. I get 20 fps with a 1100t 6core cpu and 2 480s in sli. I get Connections problems detected. All the time.

Its a new engine and its beta... really its alpha but they can call it what ever they want.

I expect performance to get much better. Like im hoping it will be like about 100 % better in about a year. I would like 120fps at least and a good connection.

There net code and server code im pretty sure are just placeholders. aka there trash. So its just a matter of time. In this case of a small team it will be about 2-3 years before i think it will be running well.

we will see.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    r_shadows 0 in the console and enjoy an extra 15fps
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1856574:date=Jun 26 2011, 03:58 PM:name=endlesschange)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endlesschange @ Jun 26 2011, 03:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->U can tweak you pc as much as you want it wont help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

incorrect, but thanks for the helpful input.

if you want to see something set up for competitive gaming, check out the guys in these forums getting 107 fps with screenshots... lack of optimizations aren't slowing them down.
    OP has the same exact CPU i do and i get 40 to 60 fps consistently.
    the only thing he has thanks significantly different is his GPU, which, according to benchmarks is less than a 7900 ( <a href="http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lookup.php?gpu=GeForce+GT+330" target="_blank">http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/video_lo...=GeForce+GT+330</a> ) and this also probably the culprit now that i think about it. but regardless, OP saying he's getting 10 fp, so wth does "connection problems detected" have <u>anything </u>to do with that?

(speaking of not tweaking, is that why you're getting 20 fps with two 480's? if you need help diagnosing that pm me)
  • IronHalikIronHalik Join Date: 2011-06-15 Member: 104611Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if you want to see something set up for competitive gaming, check out the guys in these forums getting 107 fps with screenshots... lack of optimizations aren't slowing them down.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Can you elaborate?
    <!--quoteo(post=1856574:date=Jun 26 2011, 05:58 PM:name=endlesschange)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (endlesschange @ Jun 26 2011, 05:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856574"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->U can tweak you pc as much as you want it wont help. Mine is setup just fine for competitive gaming. I get 20 fps with a 1100t 6core cpu and 2 480s in sli. I get Connections problems detected. All the time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

NS2 has not been optimised for SLI, so disable it for NS2. You should see you performance increase. You spec is better than mine, and I get 60fps at 1080p High in NS2. So clearly there is an issue with your system.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856664:date=Jun 27 2011, 10:57 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 27 2011, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 has not been optimised for SLI, so disable it for NS2. You should see you performance increase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not necessarily. If NS2 hasn't a profile in the driver, and he isn't forcing it, SLI simply remains inactive, and he'll be using a single GTX480 (which greatly exceeds what NS2 is using the on GPU-side right now). On the other hand if he _has_ forced it on, incompatibility issues might cause anything to happen really (including a low FPS).

<!--quoteo(post=1856664:date=Jun 27 2011, 10:57 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 27 2011, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856664"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You spec is better than mine, and I get 60fps at 1080p High in NS2. So clearly there is an issue with your system.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--QuoteBegin-'player'+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ('player')</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->I imagine 2 nearly identical systems _can_ get radically different performance in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    That too goes for systems that are faster on paper, so stop telling people off using a measurement-tool as useless as NS2.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It's probably just the game being buggy, you'll likely have to wait for them to get around to fixing it.
  • CommunistWithAGunCommunistWithAGun Local Propaganda Guy Join Date: 2003-04-30 Member: 15953Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1856516:date=Jun 26 2011, 11:40 AM:name=Obraxis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Obraxis @ Jun 26 2011, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1856516"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->His system is good yes, but certainly not amazing. That's not really helpful Thaldarin, as you don't have access to his system so can't make a definitive diagnosis. I will attempt to provide more help in my post.

Things I notice in your dxdiag file:

Firstly, your Graphics drivers are out of date: 10/22/2010

Secondly, your GFX chip is a GeForce 330GT - A medium to low-end Graphics chip. You're running at full 1080p and probably at high game settings. Most games from a few years ago will work fine with that setup, but NS2 is not yet fully optimised so you'll probably get not-great performance.

Thirdly, you CPU is the same as mine, and I get much superior performance, so there must be a bottleneck somewhere. I'd tend to think it's your Graphics chip.

--

To try and fix your low FPS issues I would do the following:

1) Update your BIOS via Acer's website. (This often can help with RAM compatibility and speed)

2) Update your Intel Inf drivers to the latest from Intel.com (can help with motherboard resources)

3) Upgrading your Graphics drivers by getting the latest from Nvidia.com lowing your resolution & changing to medium settings. See if this improves. (The 330GT had a number of software issues when it first came out due to buggy drivers that were acknowledged by Nvidia partners)

Try those, and get back to us and see if things have improved :)

Enjoy NS2!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Telling someone their computer is garbage isn't helpful either, and no, it isn't just everyone's specs. My machine has a 680 OC'd to infinity and an i5 2nd gen @4.4 ghz and I manage to dip below 20fps. There isn't an excuse for that. My primary HD where NS is installed is also an SSD.
  • sharnrocksharnrock Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 166084Members
    edited December 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=2049922:date=Dec 22 2012, 04:13 PM:name=CommunistWithAGun)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (CommunistWithAGun @ Dec 22 2012, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=2049922"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Telling someone their computer is garbage isn't helpful either, and no, it isn't just everyone's specs. My machine has a 680 OC'd to infinity and an i5 2nd gen @4.4 ghz and I manage to dip below 20fps. There isn't an excuse for that. My primary HD where NS is installed is also an SSD.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

idk, I have a gtx460 with an i5 3570k and I don't seem to experience much if any dips in performance anymore. Originally I had a dual core 2.5ghz and it was terribad. I'll run some benchmarks and get back i guess. I don't believe it dips below 20.

Benchmarked a game:
    Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
    38135, 720000, 32, 83, 52.965
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    phased to tech support