Croach instead of Infestation

1235»

Comments

• eisigereisiger Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75159Members
    Think I'll go with RobB on this one. Fest is short for infestation, and can imply its festering nature, like a mold. Doubly so for all the little festering pimples you have to pop once you add IF nodes.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    Fest. I'm spreading fest to generator for rt, guard plox. Hey Gorge spread some fest and throw up offensive hydras. THE WHOLE MAP IS FESTED!
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    "Fest" has positive connotations to English-speaking people because it is shorthand for "Festival." Gorges "spreading the fest" just sounds like bringing more people to a fun party, which is not the atmosphere that UW is aiming to create with Croach.
    edited June 2011
    Double meanings, man. If you're going for atmosphere, space marines would probably encourage that kind of nickname to bring down the tension.
    <!--quoteo(post=1853184:date=Jun 15 2011, 10:13 PM:name=eisiger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eisiger @ Jun 15 2011, 10:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853184"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Double meanings, man. If you're going for atmosphere, space marines would probably encourage that kind of nickname to bring down the tension.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

what? no. Also no, it's not a double meaning when you invent a new meaning for a common word that has a totally different definition. Just no.
    edited June 2011
    Creep. Whenever I hear that in an RTS I usually think of the guy wearing shorts sitting behind me breathing down my neck, too. I'm alright with Croach being an official species name, but it would be nice to give it a name for the players. A lot of people seem to be stuck on things like the word being too similar to an unrelated word, rather than the simplicity and context.
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1853178:date=Jun 15 2011, 04:56 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jun 15 2011, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Fest" has positive connotations to English-speaking people because it is shorthand for "Festival." Gorges "spreading the fest" just sounds like bringing more people to a fun party, which is not the atmosphere that UW is aiming to create with Croach.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As a Kharaa player, infestation is one big party-bus in my opinion. I could get used to calling it fest.

I'll probably stick to just calling it ###### when I'm on Marines.
  • SilverAxSilverAx Join Date: 2003-10-26 Member: 21976Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853178:date=Jun 15 2011, 05:56 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jun 15 2011, 05:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853178"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Fest" has positive connotations to English-speaking people because it is shorthand for "Festival."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha.

"Fest" has positive connotations to English-speakng people because it is shorthand for "Festy."

"Festy" describes anything that is dirty and/or smelly. It is particularly used to describe people, but may be used to refer to objects or animals.
  • Ryo-OhkiRyo-Ohki Join Date: 2009-03-26 Member: 66917Members
    I don't see there being anything wrong with using a generic, easily recognisable word. They're used for a reason; they convey their meaning quickly and efficienctly. Infestation is immediately recognisable.

Croach isn't.
  • jkflipflopjkflipflop Join Date: 2010-10-13 Member: 74423Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1853410:date=Jun 16 2011, 12:06 AM:name=Ryo-Ohki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ryo-Ohki @ Jun 16 2011, 12:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853410"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't see there being anything wrong with using a generic, easily recognisable word. They're used for a reason; they convey their meaning quickly and efficienctly. Infestation is immediately recognisable.

Croach isn't.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aside from Zex, everyone either hates "Croach" or is indifferent. Keep infestation. It's perfect.
  • Shrike3OShrike3O Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6678Members, Constellation
    I like Croach. You can yell about aliens enCroaching a room, it doesn't sound like anything else in the game, there's no reason you *can't* say Infestation despite the name being Croach, and incidentally, it gets around using sibilants ("S" and "Z" noises) over voicecomms, which some microphones hate.

When I first saw it, I thought it was a reference to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codex_Alera#Vord" target="_blank">The Croach</a> from Jim Butcher's Codex Alera novels...
    <!--QuoteBegin-Wikipedia+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wikipedia)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The normal vord scouts (called Keepers) have the appearance of large spiders and see in infrared vision. They feed on a translucent, waxy substance called croach, and resided in dormancy in the Wax Forest before they were awoken...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd--> The Wax Forest so named as it's a forest covered in Croach.
    <!--QuoteBegin-Wikipedia+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wikipedia)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The Keepers, venomous, spider-like creatures the size of dogs, maintain the croach; without the croach the vord can not survive, for it acts as both air and food. Keepers take living creatures into the croach and they are slowly dissolved into it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Apparently, UWE arrived at the name totally on their own. Which is also cool. Either way, the name works for me. "Infestation" is what the marines are there to clear out... it doesn't refer just to that goo growing on the walls, the station is infested with all sorts of hives and whips and skulks, too. A more specific name for the goo on the walls doesn't hurt at all.
    <!--quoteo(post=1853436:date=Jun 16 2011, 09:00 AM:name=jkflipflop)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jkflipflop @ Jun 16 2011, 09:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853436"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aside from Zex, everyone either hates "Croach" or is indifferent. Keep infestation. It's perfect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Totally untrue. I've seen many people use it on the forum <b>including UW employees</b>