Your feedback on our tweets here

Comments

• FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    +1 Crotch is an excellent name for DI.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1851532:date=Jun 10 2011, 01:22 PM:name=Rokiyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rokiyo @ Jun 10 2011, 01:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851532"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's in squads that sprint becomes an effective combat tool, allowing marines to take a few hits then run behind enemy lines (to spread the incoming damage around the squad), or escape the gas clouds quicker, or dash past a group of hydras to draw their fire.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Turn on friendly fire that'll end real quick :)
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1851601:date=Jun 10 2011, 02:57 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Jun 10 2011, 02:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1851601"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Arbok.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read it Backwards :-)

Infestation, or DI, Shouldn't be renamed!
    Because whats the first thing you associate with NS2?
    Dinamic Infestation!
    And I also think this word is OK and fitts in NS2.

Things like: croaching??? They have croatched? WTF

So to Gorge infest.
    I was infesting a Resnode on summit so we could get a 3rd RT.
    I was infesting around 5 min till the com infested his way to the RT.
    It was hard work and looking all the time down and see the Gorge vomiting all the time ( it felt so because you have to look down) went me sick! The Gorge infestspray should get a better handling!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    How about Funk. Aliens and gorges spreading the funk everywhere. *inserts rotating disco-ball*

But maybe we should look at more of an infection esque name. We already have pustules.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    slime, like in ghostbusters II.
  • MotigMotig Join Date: 2008-10-23 Member: 65281Members
    After reading all the possible other names I still think infestation is the best fitting one. Maybe because we've used it for so long and it just described it perfectly, everyone will instantly know what it is.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I like 'Grout'.

Reasons:

Used in construction, sounds like Growth and Gout (disease)
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1850522:date=Jun 8 2011, 03:25 AM:name=Deagle2)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Deagle2 @ Jun 8 2011, 03:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sarcasm + web = fail :D
    I tried, it doesn't work without the face expressions =P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Disagree. That post was positively seething in sarcasm. Maybe you just need to be more sarcastic. Amateur.

<!--quoteo(post=1850584:date=Jun 8 2011, 06:15 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Jun 8 2011, 06:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1850584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You still alive?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I lol'd.

Yep, not a fan of croach at all.
    Blight sounds good, then the verb form could be "EMBLIGHTEN!"
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Only thing I've heard that I've liked more than Infestation so far is <i>Swarm</i>.
  • minibananaminibanana Join Date: 2009-09-03 Member: 68682Members
    How about ~the MOLD~ dun dun dun lol jk jk

I prefer Infestation or Swarm
  • FloodinatorFloodinator [HBZ] Member Join Date: 2005-02-22 Member: 42087Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Swarm could be a Copyright hold by ESA.

Ok don't missunderstand that word PLS!

Weed

Like in: Weed infestation, to weed out or to weed.

They all also perfectly fit in NS2. And would bring some fun in the game.

Let's burn that weed!

:-D
  • ArawnArawn Join Date: 2003-02-01 Member: 12954Members
    edited June 2011
    I prefer infestation over anything I've heard so far. Croach is definitely a no-go. Swarm makes no sense, since the word already exists, and a name for a large group of insects is not at all evocative of what infestation is. Blight and Creep are taken by and closely associated with Blizzard (and Blight doesn't fit at all anyway). The only half-decent way I can think of to refer to it is as a "biomat" or "biomatting". Can either mean an unknown "biological material" or an actual "mat" that is biological in nature. I feel like I'm stealing this from somewhere but I couldn't google a source.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I like biomat! It works in many languages too.
  • WhiteWolf22WhiteWolf22 Join Date: 2009-08-21 Member: 68559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2011
    If not "infestation", maybe "plague".
    But I like infestation. You could / should keep it, it works and we're used to it.
    plague suggests something airborne, or passed between players.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited June 2011
    Just call it slime, i.e. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKESo2ofEcw" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKESo2ofEcw</a>

Makes me wonder why none of the aliens have electric-zappy based forms of attack. Something that the gorge should have instead of lame all purpose heal-spray/weapon/D.I.spreader. And marines need a laser weapon. :)
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    How about the Phage?

<a href="http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/phage" target="_blank">http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/phage</a>
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1852237:date=Jun 12 2011, 08:48 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Jun 12 2011, 08:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852237"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How about the Phage?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damn that was really clever.
    But it sounds alot like Fade.
    How about Hypha?
    <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypha" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypha</a>

I'm still more a fan of infestation.
    Infested is actually used more than infestation....so it's not that long.

"Check this area"
    "Dude totally infested"
    Can I encourage the devs to use twitter more frequently? The last tweet was 3 days ago. The tweets don't have to be big announcements, just tell us something cool that's going on!
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited June 2011
    Croach, or encroach, reminds me a lot of the encroachment penalty in american football, haha. It was a frequent penalty of mine when playing football video games.

I really like the generic term "infestation". I don't mind its length, as it hardly takes any time to say a single word. In text, it can be reduced to "infest" and I can see myself using that as shorthand frequently. Giving it a very unique name would fit with the naming plan like all the other alien structures, but in this case, I think the presentation of the infestation is unique enough in itself that it won't be confused with anything else in game. Having particular names for structures (based on their appearance) works great -- but I don't think a thoughtful name needs to be given to the infestation.

--

I think reducing sprint on infestation will be a good addition to gameplay. It can be almost too easy for shotgunners to sprint to the hive and clear it within a minute. The slowdown should help prevent easy rushes and will help aliens on their home turf. Spawn camping becomes easy for marines once inside alien spawn, so anything that puts them at a disadvantage would be helpful.

--

Not sure what to think about bile bomb. I used it in NS somewhat seldomly, as there weren't many times I needed to invade marine areas as a Gorge. It WAS helpful to take structures down more quickly (and sometimes the Gorge could be sneaky enough to do it alone) but most of the time, the attacking aliens could handle it. I'm not opposed to the bile bomb, though.

A stream/liquid shot (like the Boomer puke in L4D) of bile acid rather than a ball might be an interesting visual. The acid could perhaps do high damage to armor and structures but little to marine health, for a change. Maybe change the bile to be a short range, high damage attack that works great on strucutres and well enough on players. I can hear the sizzling sound effect in my head... It would help the Gorge stay as a defender role and allow him to be dangerous in close quarters. You could take the damage ability away from the heal spray and transfer it to the new bile attack.

--

Cool news on the animations. Does this mean transitions between animation states should flow together and have no noticeable jerkiness/jumping? Will this help improve anything gameplay wise? I know melee attacks were or are bound to animations now, so it made me curious. Should improve the aesthetics of structures, for sure.

--

Haven't tried it yet (no internet at home for a bit) but the Fade Blink seems to be almost everything I wanted and talked about before! Glad to hear it might have full range of motion during Blink. I can see Flamethrowers being the main counter against the once-again fearsome Fade. Is there a way I can try it offline? The offline mode in Steam is nice, but it doesn't matter much when games require you to autheticate/be online to play them.
  • EmpVEmpV Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34556Members, Constellation
    I vote No to "Croach"

Like many others here, I am comfortable with hearing "Infestation". It is a name we are used to hearing since DI was first introduced, but I understand why they want a change. Infestation is not a proper name.

<i>"There is infestation here"</i> or <i>"This area is infested"</i>.
    What kind of infestation is it? What is the area infested with? I think this is why they are looking for a better name.

I could only come up with one name that I don't hate, is easy to say, and makes sense scientifically.

<b><!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->"Spores"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore</a>

<b><i>"In biology, a spore is a reproductive structure that is adapted for dispersal and surviving for extended periods of time in unfavorable conditions."</i></b>

<i>"There is a spore infestation here"</i> <i>"This area is infested with spores"</i>

My 2 Cents...
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852580:date=Jun 14 2011, 10:50 AM:name=EmpV)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (EmpV @ Jun 14 2011, 10:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852580"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I vote No to "Croach"

Like many others here, I am comfortable with hearing "Infestation". It is a name we are used to hearing since DI was first introduced, but I understand why they want a change. Infestation is not a proper name.

<i>"There is infestation here"</i> or <i>"This area is infested"</i>.
    What kind of infestation is it? What is the area infested with? I think this is why they are looking for a better name.

I could only come up with one name that I don't hate, is easy to say, and makes sense scientifically.

<b><!--coloro:#F4A460--><span style="color:#F4A460"><!--/coloro-->"Spores"<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b> <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spore</a>

<b><i>"In biology, a spore is a reproductive structure that is adapted for dispersal and surviving for extended periods of time in unfavorable conditions."</i></b>

<i>"There is a spore infestation here"</i> <i>"This area is infested with spores"</i>

My 2 Cents...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except....we already have that. It's a Lerk attack.
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    edited June 2011
    "Putting together the changelog for NS2 Build 179. About to start (hopefully final) playtest of it then we'll release! #fb"

Sweet. I'm loving the rapid updates :D Can't wait to try out the gorges bile bomb!
  • TechercizerTechercizer 7th Player Join Date: 2011-06-11 Member: 103832Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1852757:date=Jun 14 2011, 06:27 PM:name=Wilson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wilson @ Jun 14 2011, 06:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1852757"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Putting together the changelog for NS2 Build 179. About to start (hopefully final) playtest of it then we'll release! #fb"

Sweet. I'm loving the rapid updates :D Can't wait to try out the gorges bile bomb!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ditto to that
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    NS2 Build 179 will be live on Steam any moment now! Changelog coming. #fb

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Woo b179.

Curious as to what else is in other than the balance changes.
  • TravCarpTravCarp Join Date: 2010-06-04 Member: 71962Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    edited June 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1853122:date=Jun 15 2011, 05:03 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 15 2011, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1853122"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Woo b179.

Curious as to what else is in other than the balance changes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe just a balance patch? <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=113801" target="_blank">link</a> My thread got hi-jacked but feel free to bring it back on topic. :D
    edited June 2011
    So Marines drop now the Gun when killed.
    That means they can get the Gun back for nothing?
    Ok but then the SG is to cheap again.
    Played a 10 vs 10 yesterday and the LMG was to see in the Game for 2 mins!
    As the SG is researched Marines have till late game.
    The only time you saw it also in Lategame was from IP to Armory. (or sometimes on GL)

So drop SG back to 25 then.

I don't know how it is on 5v5. But on 10vs10 SG is standard most time! Even killed a Fade alone with 1 LMG mag ( 10base4 watch your back :-D)

Edit:
    Btw that Game was great! Had to stop ( game crashed!) after 3 hours, Ticks were at 15 to 30 all the time!
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Yep, I killed a few fades 1v1 in this build. Seems balanced now. But yeah, when the marine drop weapons go in, you'll have to bump up the cost of the shotgun again. I don't think I was ever poor in 179 and could buy a SG every single spawn.
  • Deagle2Deagle2 Join Date: 2010-11-30 Member: 75360Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It looks like our changes really did improve server performance...I hope you're having fun with it!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's getting better and better! When the game will be optimised, please add anti-aliasing and anisotroppic filtering because When I enable it through Nvidia pannel it doesn't seem to work... And to me those are important features!