Umbra as counter to flame thrower

l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
So I was playing a game today, and I was commanding as aliens when a squad of marines, all with flamethrowers, rolled into one of my hives. Well as a natural instinct I detonated the umbra ability on all my crags. Then it clicked, Flamethrowers are completely untouch by anything including physical matter. Anyways, this gave me a thought. Umbra should hinder flamethrowers when they flame is in the umbra effect. It would put out all fires, stop the flamethrower from starting new ones, and reduce the spread and distance of the actual flamethrower. However, it wouldn't completely stop the flamethrower from shooting flames so marines can still defend themselves.

This would encourage more use of umbra, smarter placements of crags, and more teamwork.

Comments

• SkwareSkware Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58125Members
    more importantly it would discourage teams from all going flamethrowers and force communication. Sounds like a good idea.
  • RokiyoRokiyo A.K.A. .::FeX::. Revenge Join Date: 2002-10-10 Member: 1471Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    Well... It does make sense... A cloud of particles thick enough to impede bullets would likely be too thick to contain enough oxygen for a flame to burn optimally. The umbra particles themselves would also likely interfere with the travel of any propellant by collision alone.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1845599:date=May 12 2011, 03:22 AM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ May 12 2011, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So I was playing a game today, and I was commanding as aliens when a squad of marines, all with flamethrowers, rolled into one of my hives. Well as a natural instinct I detonated the umbra ability on all my crags. Then it clicked, Flamethrowers are completely untouch by anything including physical matter. Anyways, this gave me a thought. Umbra should hinder flamethrowers when they flame is in the umbra effect. It would put out all fires, stop the flamethrower from starting new ones, and reduce the spread and distance of the actual flamethrower. However, it wouldn't completely stop the flamethrower from shooting flames so marines can still defend themselves.

This would encourage more use of umbra, smarter placements of crags, and more teamwork.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't see that much of a problem with this.
    In fact, I like it.

<!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    I like this. Its like a fire extinguisher. Cutting off the flames from oxygen. Seems reasonable to me.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    edited May 2011
    It has my vote as well
    +1

Especially good since burn right now can drag on forever nearly.. seriously they need to adjust those values or something.. it seems to be set to anywhere between 3 seconds and: "you're going to die no matter what unless you hump a crag and a hive at the same time."
  • subshadowsubshadow Join Date: 2003-04-21 Member: 15710Members
    I would like to see that the umbra from crags puts out all fires in the surroundings (cutting of oxygen) and at the same time shut down the flamethrowers . By this I mean that as long as the leftmousebutton is pressed with a blocked flamethrower, it won't fire, it's "jammed". You need to let go of the fire-button so it can restart and after maybe 1 second and 5% ammo from your magazine you are good to go again.

This will make an umbra could give the aliens a few seconds to recover from a flame attack and ads some realism with the "oxygen being pushed away by bacteria effect"
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    +1

I wish I had more to say, but, that's about it.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Yes umbra would be an ideal counter to flamethrowers, honestly flamethowers are so useful by their very nature having a specific hard counter to them is not a bad idea.
  • Vladimir Van VodkaVladimir Van Vodka Sexy Beast Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73364Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2011
    MMMmmm... Good, I like this idea.
    I'd like to see a counter for flamethrowers any day.
    hopefully there will be a shotgun counter idea soon. (If there already is a counter ingame; please tell me, I keep getting one-popped all the time.)

+1
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    +11111111

This would also apply to lerk umbra aswell im guessing. If so, this would also allow the devs to un-nerf the flame thrower a bit now that theres a hard counter to it. I find the FT way underpowered as it is now and not much fun to use, it could really use a reworking.
  • 1stToast1stToast Join Date: 2007-12-02 Member: 63067Members
    +1
    At present FTs are a game ender. If nothing else adjust the umbra healing so that a skulk in umbra of two crags could survive one FT until one ammo pack was depleted. I would like to see the lurk have spore left click, umbra right click with the umbra heal 50% of a crag. Let the FT burn away lurk spore.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1845599:date=May 11 2011, 11:22 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ May 11 2011, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845599"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Umbra should hinder flamethrowers when they flame is in the umbra effect. It would put out all fires, stop the flamethrower from starting new ones, and reduce the spread and distance of the actual flamethrower. However, it wouldn't completely stop the flamethrower from shooting flames so marines can still defend themselves.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--quoteo(post=1845711:date=May 12 2011, 11:12 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ May 12 2011, 11:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845711"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes umbra would be an ideal counter to flamethrowers, honestly flamethowers are so useful by their very nature having a specific hard counter to them is not a bad idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
    l3lessed: To the GetSatisfaction-mobile!

<!--quoteo(post=1845728:date=May 12 2011, 11:54 AM:name=Dank McShwagger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dank McShwagger @ May 12 2011, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845728"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would also apply to lerk umbra aswell im guessing. If so, this would also allow the devs to un-nerf the flame thrower a bit now that theres a hard counter to it. I find the FT way underpowered as it is now and not much fun to use, it could really use a reworking.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Lerks don't have Umbra.

<!--quoteo(post=1845765:date=May 12 2011, 03:10 PM:name=1stToast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (1stToast @ May 12 2011, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1845765"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let the FT burn away lurk spore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Hell with that. Let Spore combust into flames when hit with an FT! This combined with the Crag Umbra idea would allow Flamethrowers to keep the punch they pack, but discourage their spam/overuse.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    Link for the getsatisfaction post.

<a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/umbra_as_counter_to_flamethrower" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...to_flamethrower</a>
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    edited May 2011
    its great idea actually. It would be more great if lerks actually gotten umbra back, since they're a support class them having this spore only makes sense. If they had umbra, and if it was help against flamethrowers, we would actually see lerks supporting their own teammates as they have in ns1, this brings in more teamwork, pretty much more unity into the alien classes.
    edited May 2011
    I'm for letting lerk have it's umbra back as well really.

A burst area heal would suit the crag alright, such as a much larger burst of healing within it's area for the cost of energy. That or just let them both have umbra, I'm a bit short on other ideas for their replacement in the event Lerk got umbra back.

More on topic to a degree: If this doesn't end up happening, I'd actually like to see the crag heal put out fires on it's own if the burning thing in question hasn't been hit with a flamethrower for a short while. So gorge doesn't have to play ineffective firefighter all day.

Just an alternate idea.
  • ErriiieeeeErriiieeee Join Date: 2011-05-12 Member: 98431Members
    This idea would encourage usage of Lerks and emphasize their support role.

+1
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    edited May 2011
    I like umbra from upgraded whips hindering/limiting the power of flame throwers.
    Umbra from lerks, should they have this ability, could be slightly less effective.
  • xVisionsxVisions Join Date: 2009-07-03 Member: 68021Members
    its a good idea it should be implemented and tested, see how it plays out. I haven't played too much lately but stepped into a game for a bit and flamethrowers still seem to be slightly overpowered.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->hopefully there will be a shotgun counter idea soon. (If there already is a counter ingame; please tell me, I keep getting one-popped all the time.)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is a counter to shotguns, be more sneaky. I find skulks as the most effective class against shotguns even though they are the weakest class. They are small, and its easy to hide and ambush shotgunners. When the marine discovers you, the trick is to get the shotgunner completely miss his shot, by leaping to the wall or the ceiling. And then chomp on the marine. Celerity will help this aswell. Leap is a good counter to shotguns if the skulk is a good player. I also try to use the ceilings/walls when i know im gonna encounter a marine. Sometimes they simply dont notice you because you're high above their view.

Although i agree that the shotgun need a little tweak towards nerfing, not much but indeed a little. Right now it sometimes seem like a sniper. Spread of the shot could be wider, damage of bullets could be lower.
    Shotguns is supposed to one-shot skulks on close quarters, so teamwork is also a huge deal as playing skulk. (attacking from multiple angles)
    <!--quoteo(post=1847024:date=May 18 2011, 10:16 AM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ May 18 2011, 10:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847024"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm for letting lerk have it's umbra back as well really.

A burst area heal would suit the crag alright, such as a much larger burst of healing within it's area for the cost of energy. That or just let them both have umbra, I'm a bit short on other ideas for their replacement in the event Lerk got umbra back.

More on topic to a degree: If this doesn't end up happening, I'd actually like to see the crag heal put out fires on it's own if the burning thing in question hasn't been hit with a flamethrower for a short while. So gorge doesn't have to play ineffective firefighter all day.

Just an alternate idea.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i like the crag idea. Allow the crag healing ability (you must be within its range) to put out the flames with its healing.

I just hope they give back umbra back to the lerks though, him being more a support class now, having umbra makes more sense. So either allowing lerks play better role with umbra, and umbra used to counter flamethrowers (which promotes more teamwork) or allow the crag to do this. Aliens need need to counter flamethrowers with something.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    What if umbra spores chemically reacted with the fuel (or whatever it is) from the flamethrowers and prevents it igniting.
    After thinking about this, a potential problem that might become OP is a lerk just spamming umbra everywhere which with this idea effectively render flamers useless. Maybe tweak Umbra to function a bit like web spray, which didn't allow an area to have too many web strands, so say there are two lerks, the first one drops an umbra, now for about howeverso many meters any other umbras placed in proximity to the first one would just fizzle out; leaving only the first one.
    <!--quoteo(post=1847276:date=May 19 2011, 08:12 AM:name=Erriiieeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Erriiieeee @ May 19 2011, 08:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After thinking about this, a potential problem that might become OP is a lerk just spamming umbra everywhere which with this idea effectively render flamers useless. Maybe tweak Umbra to function a bit like web spray, which didn't allow an area to have too many web strands, so say there are two lerks, the first one drops an umbra, now for about howeverso many meters any other umbras placed in proximity to the first one would just fizzle out; leaving only the first one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in this case, allow lerks umbra to be spammed but while it may not put out the flames it would reduce the damage of the flames. Or with crag idea, healing increased to aliens which are on fire.
    Just have lerk umbra cost more so it isn't spammed and used wisely?
    <!--quoteo(post=1847535:date=May 20 2011, 09:25 AM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ May 20 2011, 09:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just have lerk umbra cost more so it isn't spammed and used wisely?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking that as well, and it might actually be better. I just hope some of these ideas actually be used.
    Cost more in energy or researching it? What happens if there are multiple lerks and they are all placing umbras everywhere?
    edited May 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1847848:date=May 22 2011, 01:20 AM:name=Erriiieeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Erriiieeee @ May 22 2011, 01:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847848"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Cost more in energy or researching it? What happens if there are multiple lerks and they are all placing umbras everywhere?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Then they all waste their energy and aren't attacking, a shotgunner hanging out in the flamer group could easily pick them off if there aren't some attacking too. They don't last forever and more using umbra in the same place isn't going to matter, it wouldn't stack, it didn't before as far as I recall.

Also, grenades, those aren't bothered by umbra at all.

I'd just want umbra to at least put out fires really and maybe prevent the burn for a while, it wouldn't need to stop a flamethrower for me to be okay with it.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Gorge heal already puts out fire/removes the dot.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1847276:date=May 19 2011, 04:12 AM:name=Erriiieeee)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Erriiieeee @ May 19 2011, 04:12 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->After thinking about this, a potential problem that might become OP is a lerk just spamming umbra everywhere which with this idea effectively render flamers useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Cooldowns.

Or a very high energy cost.
    <!--quoteo(post=1847988:date=May 23 2011, 05:17 AM:name=Kurrine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kurrine @ May 23 2011, 05:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1847988"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Then they all waste their energy and aren't attacking, a shotgunner hanging out in the flamer group could easily pick them off if there aren't some attacking too. They don't last forever and more using umbra in the same place isn't going to matter, it wouldn't stack, it didn't before as far as I recall.

Also, grenades, those aren't bothered by umbra at all.

I'd just want umbra to at least put out fires really and maybe prevent the burn for a while, it wouldn't need to stop a flamethrower for me to be okay with it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

you summed it up pretty well, and I couldn't agree more. it worked very well in ns1.

flamethrower is more of a support weapon if anything else, giving back lerks umbra to counter it would be perfect since umbra was the best support lerks had.