Aien comm view should be reversed.

CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Just a dumb little thought.</div>This is pretty minor, but wouln't it be interesting for the aliens' commander view to face the opposite way, being that the aliens' have another conceptual point of view of the maps.
I thought of this 'coz I actually just went in and played around on my lonesome in Tram, and I actually had a moment of disorientation after entering the hive and thought "hmmm, why not reverse the vew?"...

Hope this makes sense.

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2011
    Let me see if I've got this straight here... You want to look up instead?

How would you go about placing buildings/infestation on the now invisible floor?
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Allow comms to rotate the view to whatever angle they want.

Problem solved.
  • CaCaCaCa Join Date: 2003-06-12 Member: 17319Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1843261:date=Apr 29 2011, 11:07 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Apr 29 2011, 11:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843261"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Let me see if I've got this straight here... You want to look up instead?

How would you go about placing buildings/infestation on the now invisible floor?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Aww c'mon! Really? You actually think that's what I'm saying?

I mean reverse as in "rotated". 180 degrees.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited April 2011
    Reverse + a dumb little thought, made me think your were on something :P

However, a rotated view of 180 could be a nice addition. A rotation option would be even nicer...
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    It'd be kind of annoying because now west is east and east is west and also the map is now backwards and I can't remember the layout.

Keep it facing north.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1843262:date=Apr 29 2011, 10:08 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Apr 29 2011, 10:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843262"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Allow comms to rotate the view to whatever angle they want.

Problem solved.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <!--coloro:#00FF00--><span style="color:#00FF00"><!--/coloro-->+1<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited April 2011
    This was actually an issue I brought up for HoN, before I got used to playing for the other side (top-right to bottom-left, instead of bottom-left to top-right). But the general consensus was that it causes issues with team direction and orientation. As Chris said,
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It'd be kind of annoying because now west is east and east is west and also the map is now backwards and I can't remember the layout.

Keep it facing north.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm quite sure that the same applies here. You'll get used to it.

The only value to rotation that I can see, is viewing almost-hidden walls or buildings and such - perspectives.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    They do it in Bloodline Champions (DotA inspired arena deathmatch), so by default you're always heading upwards toward the battle. In this case, where you control one character from a tethered top-down view, that extra distance afforded at the top of the screen is crucial. I don't really see this being necessary in the DotA or RTS genres, but it is useful in other games.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    I'll give my +1 to a rotation option:

I don't see how rotation would have you confusing North, South etc. since you'd still have a north-oriented mini-map in the case likely (I'd hope for a FOV projection on said minimap to drive the point home further as well). Also I'd hope you'd learn room names rather than those sometimes limiting descriptions anyways.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    edited May 2011
    Just an interesting thought, how about a free spectator camera style? Allow the commander to fly around as if in a traditional spectator mode. This would allow him to build in complete 360 degree way, and it would make the linearity between marine and alien commander much less noticable. You could even add a cool little particle affect that imitates a really soft cloud of bacterium to show players where the commander is currently at. Of course the cloud would be immune to all damage. Tie this in with a good minimap to quickly jump around the map, and I think it would be a sweet new take on RTS commanding.

The only problem would be tying this in with fog of war, but I would imagine it could be done without to hard of a implimentation.

Also he would be limited to by the walls, and not have complete freedom of movement like current spectator mode does.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1843760:date=May 2 2011, 11:05 PM:name=l3lessed)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (l3lessed @ May 2 2011, 11:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1843760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just an interesting thought, how about a free spectator camera style? Allow the commander to fly around as if in a traditional spectator mode. This would allow him to build in complete 360 degree way, and it would make the linearity between marine and alien commander much less noticable. You could even add a cool little particle affect that imitates a really soft cloud of bacterium to show players where the commander is currently at. Of course the cloud would be immune to all damage. Tie this in with a good minimap to quickly jump around the map, and I think it would be a sweet new take on RTS commanding.

The only problem would be tying this in with fog of war, but I would imagine it could be done without to hard of a implimentation.

Also he would be limited to by the walls, and not have complete freedom of movement like current spectator mode does.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't like the free spectator mode very much because 1) its not a RTS standard at all and 2) it would make structure placement difficult. Personally, I think all thats needed is rotate, tilt, and zoom. That's pretty much what every RTS I've played does and it works very well.
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't like the free spectator mode very much because 1) its not a RTS standard at all and 2) it would make structure placement difficult. Personally, I think all thats needed is rotate, tilt, and zoom. That's pretty much what every RTS I've played does and it works very well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I personally don't see how it would make it harder to place structures. Also this isn't a traditional RTS. I've also been wandering how the whip and other structures are suppose to get on the walls and roof if the commander is locked in a traditional RTS view, even if it does rotate and spin. It still wouldn't allow enough freedom to move structures up on the roof.
    edited May 2011
    afaik only the Gorge is allowed to place stuff on walls and ceilings (no idea how he's going to place them on the ceiling though, Lerklift perhaps :P)

Not that I'm against all buildings at random angles!