Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 170 released

2»

Comments

• KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    Do it the Brawl Minus way: Don't remove anything, but beef up the weaker players. Leap makes playing a Skulk fun before Tier 2! Just give Marine's Rifle-butt attack a knockback so good players can evade the leap if timed properly.
  • RigorRigor Join Date: 2011-02-05 Member: 80545Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839409:date=Mar 31 2011, 04:22 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Mar 31 2011, 04:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do it the Brawl Minus way: Don't remove anything, but beef up the weaker players. Leap makes playing a Skulk fun before Tier 2! Just give Marine's Rifle-butt attack a knockback so good players can evade the leap if timed properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1 for adding a knock-back to melee

And to further draw upon Left 4 Dead, I SERIOUSLY would like to see pounce damage for skulks, linked SPECIFICALLY to the leap attack, with damage based on the distance the skulk traveled from takeoff to the point of impact with a Marine. This would make maps with tall ceilings (like Tram alien start) more interesting and would force Marines to look up more often. Also gives the skulk more game near the end of a round when Armor 3 and Flamethrowers render the skulk much less effective.
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    I have noticed more crashing on the last 2 builds. Mainly when you are hatching out of an egg when you are morphing into a new life form. Also just after you purchase something from the armory the game will crash. Both do the same thing, freeze up or lock up.

Then it take a Ctrl-Alt-Del to shuit down take and then have to start all over again. I also see more server side crashes with these last 2 builds 169-170.

This is a very common problem for most players and type of equipment seems to make no difference.
  • shokkshokk Join Date: 2011-03-22 Member: 87927Members
    nothing regarding performance issues... useless patch.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1839409:date=Mar 31 2011, 10:22 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Mar 31 2011, 10:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839409"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do it the Brawl Minus way: Don't remove anything, but beef up the weaker players. Leap makes playing a Skulk fun before Tier 2! Just give Marine's Rifle-butt attack a knockback so good players can evade the leap if timed properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yup, that's pretty much exactly what our thinking and plans are regarding adding skulk leap back in at the game start. Its more fun and feels more skulk like, so it makes sense to give it to the players to start with, as its a pretty defining feature of the skulk. So, therefore we'd focus on other ways to deal with countering it, to make it less OP. What we want to do, but didn't have time to do alongside removing mini leap, is to enhance the marines rifle-butt just as you mentioned. Ideally it would only do damage to a skulk who is on the ground, but if the skulk is in the air then it would do a knockback (or possibly knock to the direction that the skulks momentum is already carrying them in--more like a deflection then a knockback) if timed right.

--Cory
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1839458:date=Mar 31 2011, 09:57 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 31 2011, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup, that's pretty much exactly what our thinking and plans are regarding adding skulk leap back in at the game start. Its more fun and feels more skulk like, so it makes sense to give it to the players to start with, as its a pretty defining feature of the skulk. So, therefore we'd focus on other ways to deal with countering it, to make it less OP. What we want to do, but didn't have time to do alongside removing mini leap, is to enhance the marines rifle-butt just as you mentioned. Ideally it would only do damage to a skulk who is on the ground, but if the skulk is in the air then it would do a knockback (or possibly knock to the direction that the skulks momentum is already carrying them in--more like a deflection then a knockback) if timed right.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

To quote some well known australian guy:
    Owesome! :)
  • TheSlimTheSlim Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43384Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839457:date=Mar 31 2011, 02:19 PM:name=shokk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shokk @ Mar 31 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839457"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->nothing regarding performance issues... useless patch.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Agreed, without the performance issue, more players would play for a longer duration = more likely to find and report bugs. It's not playable for me, even though i CAN play at high settings - looking at several of buildings at once makes my FPS drop to around 10-15, and otherwise its 20-25 which is not acceptable. I need 40-60 fps!
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839458:date=Mar 31 2011, 09:57 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 31 2011, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup, that's pretty much exactly what our thinking and plans are regarding adding skulk leap back in at the game start. Its more fun and feels more skulk like, so it makes sense to give it to the players to start with, as its a pretty defining feature of the skulk. So, therefore we'd focus on other ways to deal with countering it, to make it less OP. What we want to do, but didn't have time to do alongside removing mini leap, is to enhance the marines rifle-butt just as you mentioned. Ideally it would only do damage to a skulk who is on the ground, but if the skulk is in the air then it would do a knockback (or possibly knock to the direction that the skulks momentum is already carrying them in--more like a deflection then a knockback) if timed right.

That sounds fancy and all but I wonder if that was the idea when knife originally had a pushback. However please consider skulk a continuation from the leap to allow more divert and depthful movement. Currect system allows very little and leap in itself is very predictable making "baiting" (luring into shooting hard target) less useful in important teamfights.
    To adjust the balance marine strafe movement could be noticeably faster to allow "left to right dodging" (fast movement side swap).
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    leap still doesn't feel as ns1 leap.

here some problems with it:

1.can't leap while jumping
    2.sometimes you can leap twice and still have energy for third jump but I have to stop than it will work
    3.leap allows you a total of 3 leaps, perhaps actually more like 2 good leaps. the energy cost of is way too expensive
    4. no air control, leaping in straight line without being able to turn mid jump is badly needed.
    5. leap distance is really short

feels like mini-leap and running leap, in between but not actually not like ns1 leap at all. As someone stated above me leaps are predictable, leap needs better air control.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    The command to disable the skulk view tilting doesn't seem to work for me.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1839469:date=Mar 31 2011, 10:41 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 31 2011, 10:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1.can't leap while jumping<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that's intentional. Atleast I hope so, because that would overpower it. Nothing like "leaping" off of air to make sense out of the world.
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1839472:date=Apr 1 2011, 10:48 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Apr 1 2011, 10:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839472"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that's intentional. Atleast I hope so, because that would overpower it. Nothing like "leaping" off of air to make sense out of the world.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Who cares about absolute realism this isn't a sim..

Jump leap simply feels right..

Atm it feels like I'm playing with one hand tied behind my back.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1839461:date=Apr 1 2011, 07:26 AM:name=Koruyo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Koruyo @ Apr 1 2011, 07:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->To quote some well known australian guy:
    Owesome! :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do I really say awesome like that? Haha how embarassing.

I've found that skulk leap at tier 1 has really mixed up the standard rifle v skulk gameplay, in a good way. The ability to leap off a wall into the face of a surprised marine is extremely satisfying, not to mention the ability to then leap away to another wall / ceiling. I think players new to NS will really appreciate the agility of tier 1 leap availability.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1839458:date=Mar 31 2011, 03:57 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 31 2011, 03:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...] What we want to do, but didn't have time to do alongside removing mini leap, is to enhance the marines rifle-butt just as you mentioned. Ideally it would only do damage to a skulk who is on the ground, but if the skulk is in the air then it would do a knockback (or possibly knock to the direction that the skulks momentum is already carrying them in--more like a deflection then a knockback) if timed right.

OMG YAY!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hehe, somehow Baseball with Skulks popped into my head :D
This discussion has been closed.