Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 170 released

MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
Please post comments on the topic Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 170 released here

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Holy crap. When the skulk runs, he sounds like he's leaving a trail of poop behind him.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AI entities will no longer go into other entities (no more Mega MAC Stack Attacks)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<a href="http://www.nooooooooooooooo.com/" target="_blank">Nooooooooo</a>
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    Two big problems with the new patch:

1) Sound bugs return. Sound goes completely out for periods of time, but do return. Marine rifle sounds loop quite often again.

2) MACs are really stupid now. When commanded to go build a res node, if they run into one another, or anything, they just stop and don't move. The won't open doors, so they just sit at the door now (Drifters do the same thing, but drifters seem to still stack, unlike MACs). You now have to babysit each MAC and guide them 2 feet at a time to ensure they make it to the destination. On two occations, I had my MACs simply disappear. I was following them, they hit a locked door, then vanished. Very annoying as marine commander now. Even a simple repair task like repairing the CC takes a good 15 seconds to route the MAC right next to it before commanding a repair. Not fun.

But, all the other stuff seems fine. Just seems like we have to take one step back for every two steps forward in each patch.
  • SatanLovesYOuSatanLovesYOu Join Date: 2004-05-03 Member: 28410Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Drifters/MACs will not go through doors that are shut. They Collide with them and simply stop.
  • sumguy720sumguy720 Join Date: 2011-02-09 Member: 81101Members
    I am really happy about skulks being able to stick to the ceiling more easily after a leap. That's something I've wanted for a while. Thank you NS2 team!
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1839268:date=Mar 30 2011, 12:13 AM:name=SatanLovesYOu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SatanLovesYOu @ Mar 30 2011, 12:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839268"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Drifters/MACs will not go through doors that are shut. They Collide with them and simply stop.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And to add to that. When the marine locks the door at alien hive. I couldn't get it open with infestation and drifters don't know what to do with the southern passage being blocked.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1839267:date=Mar 29 2011, 08:11 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Mar 29 2011, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839267"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->2) MACs are really stupid now. When commanded to go build a res node, if they run into one another, or anything, they just stop and don't move. The won't open doors, so they just sit at the door now (Drifters do the same thing, but drifters seem to still stack, unlike MACs). You now have to babysit each MAC and guide them 2 feet at a time to ensure they make it to the destination. On two occations, I had my MACs simply disappear. I was following them, they hit a locked door, then vanished. Very annoying as marine commander now. Even a simple repair task like repairing the CC takes a good 15 seconds to route the MAC right next to it before commanding a repair. Not fun.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can confirm this. It seems to happen when MACs run into any entity (armory, CS, extractors), not just other MACs/doors. They just stop rather than try to find a way around the obstacle. It makes using MACs very tedious as you have to reissue orders multiple times just to ensure they actually accomplish their task.
  • ArchaicArchaic Join Date: 2008-03-30 Member: 64001Members
    The skulk wall walk is too sticky now, I cant get off walls in time to not die
  • gamester_5gamester_5 Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64094Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839273:date=Mar 29 2011, 10:20 PM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 29 2011, 10:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I can confirm this. It seems to happen when MACs run into any entity (armory, CS, extractors), not just other MACs/doors. They just stop rather than try to find a way around the obstacle. It makes using MACs very tedious as you have to reissue orders multiple times just to ensure they actually accomplish their task.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

And drifters are the same for the most part. They will run into objects and not go around, you have to guide them as well. Hard to do when you have rines burning everything to try to pace a drifter around the map.

Sound loop is back on the rines once in a while.

Love the sticky skulk and the tap dance sound :-)

Still have ghost issues, and seems to be worse. We had one player listed 3 times and me twice. Server still crashing, and player crashing is still common. I will continue to test on the Team #156 West Server.

Playa_2B
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    Maybe we can remove macs and structures can repair themselves :P
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Also a big bug with aliens respawns. Twice after I died, I could not respawn. The help tip said to hit bite to hatch, but I wasn't in an egg, and there were plenty of them around. I tried going to the ready room then returning, but that didn't fix it. I had to join the marine team briefly to fix it. Both times it happened to me was after I died as a gorge, so don't know if that has anything to do with it or not.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited March 2011
    Wall-walking/Leap is awesome now! And Melee attacks seem much more effective/consistent! The last game I played was a large improvement from 169. It went from bearable to enjoyable! A few issues I've noticed:

Tram:
    - One of the damaged crates near the derailed cart in the north was missing it's texture

Aliens:
    - Taunting interrupts Belly Slide, allowing you to act freely before the ability completes.
    - The Fade's blink indicator model casts shadows.
    - Gorge can select "Build Hydras" as an upgrade now, but can build Hydras regardless.
    - Alien commander view does not correctly display the names of selected "neutral" units/structures such as Power Nodes and Doors, instead retaining the name of the last unit you had selected.
    - Skulk footstep sounds are not played when walking across complex geometry (railings in Tram)

Marines:
    - Using the Hotkeys to switch between Build, Advanced, Assist, and Squad tabs does not make the aesthetic tab change that is seen when you instead click the tab.

Both:
    - You can use the abilities of structures while they are still being constructed.

I'll withhold any Drifter/MAC commentary, since everyone else has made it clear their AI needs work.
    Just an opinion, but I'm not a big fan of the new skulk running sound. It sounds like it has horse hooves, not pointy claws.

Hope we see a hotfix for a lot of the above issues. It's not very fun to play right now. 169 was at least enjoyable.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited March 2011
    Thanx

I think you are working something crazy behind those. Mostly those updates are easy for you. Reduce angle, reduce animation, and that it is skulk now better.
    That takes only 10 minutes. What about 2 weeks? :)

I'm sure there are much more works all behind those

Still my Editor is Black (Nvidia 8800GT, Single core AMD FX57 CPU)
    Spark Editor Updates please !, powerfull line and face tools, new features etc.

And Onos please !

Where is the other map?
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->* Made it easier for the Skulk to leap onto and off ceilings and walls
    * Replaced mini-leap with normal full leap and removed leap upgrade
    * Fixed bug allowing Fade to blink out of the world
    * Changed melee weapons attack timings to be in sync with the animation
    * Added a special sound effect when the Skulk or Fade attack a structure
    * AI entities will no longer go into other entities (no more Mega MAC Stack Attacks)
    * Toned the Skulk camera tilt down a bit (slower transition and less of an angle)
    * Added console command "skulk_view false" to disable Skulk camera tilt while on wall
    * Added some checks to the Gorge Hydra and Infestation creation code to not use energy or slow down if a placement is invalid due to location or cost
    * Improved MAC jet effect
    * Fire effects added to environment folder for mappers to use
    * Fixed bug preventing players from chatting right after they die
    * Fixed bug related to getting minimap coordinates from an invalid player
    * Fixed bug preventing MAC from repairing structure armor
    * Fixed bug where the game wouldn't properly disconnect from Steam
    * Fixed issue where the Editor would crash if a level file contained invalid face mapping data
    * Fixed a few tooltips<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Awesome update, I can't wait to play it!

I have a question though (as I can't play it right now):

-Now that the melee weapons are linked with their animations does this mean that the fade will be slightly better? I think most of the reason why people can't hit is because they think it is linked to the animation not when you click. It isn't like this now is it?
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited March 2011
    So, played my first 170 match on tram with around 8 people and it was fun!
    Until there were more then 20 hydras and the server perfomance went from very smooth to horrible with three second lags and of course rifle sound lag/bug.

Please address hydras in the near future (or dedicated servers)

Also Macs still tend to build sentries way up on the ceiling or pipes (where it didn't wanted them to go) and sometimes just idle around, not doing what I told them to do but those are surely no real gamebreakers ;)
  • weezlweezl Join Date: 2008-07-04 Member: 64557Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    - the "darat" "darat-darat" sound i've mentioned a couple times is still there (for marines afaik)
    - what Quovatis said
    also, when a mac gets stuck at a door, and you open it a short while later, the mac instantly jumps to where it SHOULD have been given a clear path
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Cool update small leap was useless.
    For the first time I noticed that the skulk was doing more noise that it should while walking and it seems to be a bug so here's a small recording of it:
    <a href="http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/68964974/file.html" target="_blank">http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/68964974/file.html</a>
    Might be just me but I feel like the noise is too fast for the speed the skulk is moving to.
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I noticed that you're working on both 'MACs can enter hive' and 'MACs and drifters don't collide'. Why not upgrade the drifters to a real unit and have them be capable of physically attacking MACs only?
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-Resources not available
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1839274:date=Mar 30 2011, 12:30 AM:name=Archaic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Archaic @ Mar 30 2011, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The skulk wall walk is too sticky now, I cant get off walls in time to not die<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this. also, you can't get through the minimum 48 x 48 without difficulty because the skulk tries to cling to both walls.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you are working something crazy behind those. Mostly those updates are easy for you. Reduce angle, reduce animation, and that it is skulk now better.
    That takes only 10 minutes. What about 2 weeks? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It seems that English is not your native language, so maybe you are misunderstanding what you read on the changelog. These are not simple 10-minute changes.

<!--quoteo(post=1839345:date=Mar 30 2011, 03:20 PM:name=)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ( @ Mar 30 2011, 03:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839345"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->this. also, you can't get through the minimum 48 x 48 without difficulty because the skulk tries to cling to both walls.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You should see it from third-person. It looks like the Skulk is break-dancing when he can't decide which wall he wants to cling to! High-larious.
  • MurphyIdiotMurphyIdiot NS2 programmer Join Date: 2008-04-17 Member: 64095Members, Super Administrators, NS2 Developer, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1839286:date=Mar 30 2011, 12:23 AM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Mar 30 2011, 12:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839286"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you are working something crazy behind those. Mostly those updates are easy for you. Reduce angle, reduce animation, and that it is skulk now better.
    That takes only 10 minutes. What about 2 weeks? :)

I'm sure there are much more works all behind those<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You are correct. There is much more going on than just tweaking a few numbers. For the Skulk leaping for instance, I tried a number of methods to make it easier to leap off a wall and finding the cause of the problem preventing him from sticking to the ceiling took half a day.

Some tasks take 10 mins that I expect to take a few hours (MAC stacks) while others that I expect to take 10 mins take several days (fixing Shotgun animation problems). It is basically completely unpredictable.

<!--quoteo(post=1839287:date=Mar 30 2011, 01:46 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Mar 30 2011, 01:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839287"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-Now that the melee weapons are linked with their animations does this mean that the fade will be slightly better? I think most of the reason why people can't hit is because they think it is linked to the animation not when you click. It isn't like this now is it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The Fade swipe hit is in sync with the animation now. All the melee attacks should be in sync with the animation now.
  • TAPETRVETAPETRVE Join Date: 2011-02-08 Member: 80866Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1839256:date=Mar 30 2011, 04:41 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Mar 30 2011, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839256"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Holy crap. When the skulk runs, he sounds like he's leaving a trail of poop behind him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1839322:date=Mar 30 2011, 05:11 PM:name=eXa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eXa @ Mar 30 2011, 05:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839322"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For the first time I noticed that the skulk was doing more noise that it should while walking and it seems to be a bug so here's a small recording of it:
    <a href="http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/68964974/file.html" target="_blank">http://www65.zippyshare.com/v/68964974/file.html</a>
    Might be just me but I feel like the noise is too fast for the speed the skulk is moving to.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup, sounds indeed like a severe case of cast-iron diarrhea, now that you mention it. Should be addressed.
    Seems most of the issues in 170 that need to be fixed are now listed on the progress tracker page. The notable exception is the new sound looping introduced in 170.
  • Pr0nPr0n Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13592Members
    Lots of issues with 170. Hate being negative since patches 167/168 were good and quick, even though they weren't perfect. 169/170 both bad for me. Maybe the next 2 will work?
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    Have no idea why you removed the need to upgrade to get leap. It is so OP it is unbelievable. Remove the ###### animation when trying to use running leap with out the upgrade, sure, but seeing as the only reason you differentiated between still leap and running leap was because running leap is OP without making it an upgrade, seems strange that you would backtrack on it.

If the reasoning is because people got confused, well, that is their issue. It isn't hard to grasp, nor figure out. I can see the mini-leap animation causing confusion, so get rid. But keep stationary leap, and running leap as an upgrade.
    <!--quoteo(post=1839375:date=Mar 30 2011, 10:52 PM:name=Skiddywinks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skiddywinks @ Mar 30 2011, 10:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839375"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Have no idea why you removed the need to upgrade to get leap. It is so OP it is unbelievable. Remove the ###### animation when trying to use running leap with out the upgrade, sure, but seeing as the only reason you differentiated between still leap and running leap was because running leap is OP without making it an upgrade, seems strange that you would backtrack on it.

If the reasoning is because people got confused, well, that is their issue. It isn't hard to grasp, nor figure out. I can see the mini-leap animation causing confusion, so get rid. But keep stationary leap, and running leap as an upgrade.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i think the reason will be obs beacon, scanning, and the ARCs. lets wait til they are in the game and then see if running leap is still op.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Or... just have no leap at tier 1, and activate it with tier 2?
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1839383:date=Mar 31 2011, 08:57 AM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Mar 31 2011, 08:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839383"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or... just have no leap at tier 1, and activate it with tier 2?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. I liked the tier unlocks new abilitys for lifeforms without special research thing in ns1. But rightmousebutton abilitys make this a bit complicated now. :(
This discussion has been closed.