Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 169 released

2»

Comments

• RigorRigor Join Date: 2011-02-05 Member: 80545Members
    edited March 2011
    For the first time, I'm seeing the game freeze completely. It seems to have to do with getting in and out of the comm chair of either team.

What's the chances we could get the follow beta-options:

Enable/Disable animations of buildings
    Enable/Disable sounds

There was another one that slipped my mind in the short time I was typing those two. Man I'm getting old.

Anyway, the reason I ask is because when the beta population finds a particularly annoying bug, we could help narrow down what is causing it. If sound is causing a problem, toggling off ALL sounds for testing could help troubleshooting. Same with animations, etc.

Depending on the amount of code needed, perhaps you could even make a variety of options to give us even more granularity. For example separate sounds into:

ambient
    marine
    alien
    weapon
    building
    etc

I would be more than happy to live without weapon sounds for a week if it's determined that weapon sounds are causing sound to bug out. This same concept could be done for animations, too.

The same goes for the server; give us the ability to do some debug-type logging on the server side and we can help on that front. The ghosted/phantom player would be a great example and anyone with a server would surely love to spend some time helping determine why the server requires so much horsepower.

The more you enable US to troubleshoot, the more work we can do for you. You don't have the staff to do extensive QA, that is what we're for. Give us more ability to do so. It may take a considerable amount of time to include the code to do this, but weigh that against how much more effective your beta community could be.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Hate to say this, but ... NS 2 is boring. The fights seem less about the player and more about the items... like a WoW 'pvp' match... gear. Its frustrating to land solid hits on the fade target with a shotgun and the game doesnt recognise it, but the fade can seem to 1 hit you from 5m away ?

The actual game seemed more smooth, less hitching and stuttering but... either the reg is messed or the balance is borked.
    I realise a solo marine isnt suppose to be much of a threat, but surely if you land 3 solid shotgun blasts at close range on a Fade...it should hurt a tad ? Didnt seem the case when I played it.

Engine seems better , gameplay is getting boring.
    Server numbers also seem to be decreasing ... my last scan showed only 16 servers.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1837874:date=Mar 18 2011, 07:07 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Mar 18 2011, 07:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hate to say this, but ... NS 2 is boring. The fights seem less about the player and more about the items... like a WoW 'pvp' match... gear. Its frustrating to land solid hits on the fade target with a shotgun and the game doesnt recognise it, but the fade can seem to 1 hit you from 5m away ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's funny that it always seem to be the opposite to me on the server I play: Marines with shotgun usually manage to evade the Fade, while pumping shells into the fade, and coming out of the fight unscathed.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It will all be worked out before release, don't worry. =)
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    Not sure what menu you think this refers to, but yes it is implemented.. Upgrades menu/buy menu
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837874:date=Mar 19 2011, 02:07 AM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Mar 19 2011, 02:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837874"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hate to say this, but ... NS 2 is boring. The fights seem less about the player and more about the items... like a WoW 'pvp' match... gear. Its frustrating to land solid hits on the fade target with a shotgun and the game doesnt recognise it, but the fade can seem to 1 hit you from 5m away ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that is the complete opposite for me.
    Firstly, the fade hits rarely hit because the hit detection is bad (Or something like that)
    Secondly, the shotgun can kill a fade with 3 shots (That is about 3 seconds, maybe less).

The only way I can get kills with the fade is if I use his second attack. Fade's first attack is TOO unresponsive and misses constantly.

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u><b>
    About the patches (168 & 169):</b></u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

They are good, I we try out that lerk soon just to see if hitting the marines is much better now.
    Skulk wall running is MUCH better. I haven't noticed the skulk bite animation changes but I will try to see to see the shotgun animation's to see how well they have changed.

Things that need improving:

-Shotgun still needs a damage nerf (200 max damage is stupid, try 100 or at least 150)
    -Harvesters need more hp
    -Hydras need to be bigger and shouldn't die in about 2 seconds (Do they work on walls yet?
    -Whips need to be better. They seem to be crap against flamers and also don't even manage to kill a lone marine looking at it (Within distance)
    -Fade's moves need to be more responsive.
    -Flamethrower SHOULDN'T sap fade's adrenaline/energy.
    -Marine side is too easy to play (and win)
    -Flamethrowers kill a base in a matter of seconds (for a tier 2 it is ridiculous)
  • KisleKisle Join Date: 2006-12-25 Member: 59229Members
    Great new build.

my thoughts about skulk movement:

- Love the Camera rotation when on walls.
    - Skulk should be able to "leap" of walls with normal spacebar jump.
    - Skulks spacebar jump should go further and higher.
    This is a wonderful patch!

I have NO critizism.. Sorry ^^)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Actually the Armoury Servers have been very good for me, definitely better than the others available. However, I did play yesterday and for some reason the server seemed completely broken.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    Just played my FIRST full game of NS2. I usually only pop on after each patch and see how things are progressing.

1) Joined Marine as I usually try aliens but they're unplayable due to FPS and jerky play. Marines were unplayable also
    2) Couldn't climb ladders
    3) When you shoot at a wall, you get sparks... a second later the sparks are there again. Duplication of effects?
    4) I thought dynamic infestation was quite cool. Wandering through a level and seeing how it was throughout the level where it wasn't the first time
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    Ladders seem to be using something like the half life 1 method, which is to say they're a brush you stick to when you touch it.

Generally I would prefer something like the half life 2 approach, which has a ladder 'path' defined and you can add little hints to it in the level editor so that people automatically get on and off if they approach it from a certain direction. It's a lot smoother to use and means you don't fall off as much.

Of course it's not really a priority, old fashioned ladders work most of the time.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    the ladder in Spark is more like some kind of tube you climb trough, top and bottom behaviors are quite odd because of this :P
  • MelatoninMelatonin Babbler Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14551Members, Constellation
    first off, new wall walking is amazing.
    running around a corner above the ground works well, I still have a few problems running up a wall and into a ceiling area, like above west on rockdown.

one thing I wanted to suggest, would be that purchasing a gun should close the menu screen.

there are times when base is under attack, and you need a shotgun fast! it adds a few seconds to getting the gun which might be the difference between recovering, and losing the game. if a friend starts a game in steam at this point as well, the close button is obscured behind the notification, meaning, you cant close the menu without wandering away from the armoury.

I guess the reason it doesnt close it, is for when people need to purchase armour, or JP, AND a gun.
    why not make it so armour and JP do not close the menu, but guns do. after all, you will never purchase 2 guns in a row.
    <u>bugs to report;</u>
    Alerts stick to HUD (for alien players) - This occurs when a player is in and out of hive command [i think]

Oh, wait.. I think that's it!
    I'm upset that skul can no longer jump vertically up walls.
  • Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
    I like the wall walk and stickiness. I wouldn't mind if it took just a bit longer to transition from leaning left to right (and back), but thats a minor issue.
  • garthakgarthak Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76073Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837901:date=Mar 19 2011, 09:45 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Mar 19 2011, 09:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837901"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Things that need improving:

-Shotgun still needs a damage nerf (200 max damage is stupid, try 100 or at least 150)
    -Harvesters need more hp
    -Hydras need to be bigger and shouldn't die in about 2 seconds (Do they work on walls yet?
    -Whips need to be better. They seem to be crap against flamers and also don't even manage to kill a lone marine looking at it (Within distance)
    -Fade's moves need to be more responsive.
    -Flamethrower SHOULDN'T sap fade's adrenaline/energy.
    -Marine side is too easy to play (and win)
    -Flamethrowers kill a base in a matter of seconds (for a tier 2 it is ridiculous)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with a lot of this, except the flamethrowers part. maybe the effect should be turned down just a bit, but I like it a bit more now that its moved from main death barrage tool to more of a support tool, though I still feel the damage is a wee bit much. and the aliens defenatly need some more love, specially skulks. late game, skulks have to be really lucky or the marines have to be really incompetent to get any kills, or really be of much use at all. skulks should be faster, and have a bit of a bigger bite. I wouldnt complain about getting insta killed by the uber shotgun nearly as much if I knew when I got in close I had a better chance for a kill. and a marine being the same speed as a skulk seems ridiculous too, skulks dont got much, but they should defenatly have the speed factor.
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    For some reason my game crashes when I get in and out of the comm chair since I comm alot It crashes alot 3 times in this last game costing the marines the win. It will crash getting in and out of the alien hive as well. I thougt it could be due to my overclock but I have returned to stock speed same issues crashing the game getting in or our does this happen to anyone else when they comm? It seems to be to much info to handle.
  • KurrineKurrine Join Date: 2010-07-03 Member: 72235Members
    Are they planning on bringing back the celerity upgrade? That'd fix the speed issue skulks have that some are bothered about.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1838584:date=Mar 23 2011, 11:00 PM:name=wakeboarder)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wakeboarder @ Mar 23 2011, 11:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1838584"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->For some reason my game crashes when I get in and out of the comm chair since I comm alot It crashes alot 3 times in this last game costing the marines the win. It will crash getting in and out of the alien hive as well. I thougt it could be due to my overclock but I have returned to stock speed same issues crashing the game getting in or our does this happen to anyone else when they comm? It seems to be to much info to handle.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I had the same problem often in 166 and it seemed to go away in 167 which I played a lot. It has happened to me in 169 too now, but only once so far. It seems to be when getting in the chair/hive.
  • Art2Art2 Join Date: 2011-02-11 Member: 81365Members
    Sound issues havent been fixed for me. They dissapear completely after loading. It's pretty pointless to play fps game like this without sounds.

I have reported about this since 163
    <a href="http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/topics/all_sounds_dissapear_after_loading" target="_blank">http://getsatisfaction.com/unknownworlds/t...r_after_loading</a>
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited March 2011
    Lets turn flame throwers into light sabers. (serious joke?)

Would be a funny mod, least of all.

I've noticed crashes coming back after being virtually crash free in the previous versions. My sound problem has come back this patch, after being free of it for a bit.
  • intellixintellix Join Date: 2008-03-24 Member: 63950Members
    every other week patches are definitely a great idea... must be so much overhead added to every patch at the moment with patching etc
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    The biggest problem (bug?) with the flamethrower is aliens and structures can stay on fire for up to 60 seconds after the marine is dead. It effectively takes a fade/lerk out of the fight for 60 seconds as they have to sit there and heal and wait for the flames to go out, then regain stamina. I literally had the same marine I killed as a fade at a hive have enough time to spawn and return to the hive while I'm still on fire from the last time! The flame after-effect needs to be limited to 5 seconds max, as right now it's too powerful. I fear the flamethrower less because of the damage, but more due to the time spent waiting for the flames to go out.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1839082:date=Mar 28 2011, 06:23 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Mar 28 2011, 06:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1839082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The flame after-effect needs to be limited to 5 seconds max, as right now it's too powerful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, please. It is so frustrating to get caught on fire, travel all the way back to hive to heal, and still have to wait for the fire to go out.