Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 167 released

Comments

• SlithersSlithers Join Date: 2010-07-30 Member: 73368Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1836656:date=Mar 10 2011, 01:53 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Mar 10 2011, 01:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836656"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yup. That's a work in progress of a track for the NS2 soundtrack.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol I was about to ask, what is that soundtrack in the background, I want to download it now.

Ahwell, I guess I must wait!

excellent sound selection so far from what you guys have implemented in to the game.

Keep up the good work.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Sounds seem to be ok, in that they don't seem to be cutting out.

Still getting some looping on laggy servers, on the UWE server actually.

LMG single shot, and you get a repeat muzzle flash and floor sparks - but in the position your cross-hair is over at the delay point of fire. Similar to before.
  • twilitebluetwiliteblue bug stalker Join Date: 2003-02-04 Member: 13116Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited March 2011
    I wonder if DI is contributing to most of the server load issues. Server tick rates tend to drop to 1-10 late game, but rebound up to 30 once the game is over.

Also, can we please move the kill display lower (if it doesn't take too much time)? I remember it was around the center right of the screen in NS1, and it looked quite unique and interesting. I think we'd all like to catch the kills while watching NS2HD's videos. :D
  • XuXuXuXu Join Date: 2011-01-01 Member: 76096Members, Reinforced - Silver
    nice!

didn't expect a patch in this week! good work UWE.

will give it a try today evening! :)

Keep it up guys!
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I didn't hear any music. :S
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1836669:date=Mar 10 2011, 12:48 AM:name=ScardyBob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ScardyBob @ Mar 10 2011, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Might want to remove this if you don't want to be overrun by spam bots.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

He edited the post, remove your quote! haha.
    edited March 2011
    Just played another game, and got an LUA stack. Sorry, I did not take a screenshot. But I rejoined, phantoms were there along with my name stacking. (3)Runteh. Will be sure to next time.
  • trinity.nstrinity.ns Join Date: 2008-12-07 Member: 65688Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1836673:date=Mar 10 2011, 12:05 PM:name=glimmerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (glimmerman @ Mar 10 2011, 12:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836673"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm sure quoting it will help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I had to laugh :P
  • RigorRigor Join Date: 2011-02-05 Member: 80545Members
    I played for several hours and never lost sound. Great work.

Still had issues with Drifters that went to the target, circled the res node and then did nothing. Reissuing the order a single time corrected it, but I still had to babysit.

On the server load, it's very clearly related to the number of players in the game. But, when that is not a problem, as soon as DI node count gets high, the server tick starts to crater, even without hydra spam.

Stairs REALLY need more work. Playing as a skulk in the marine start without running leap is just frustrating.
  • Pr0nPr0n Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13592Members
    B167 is definitely stable and the sound bug seems like it's totally fixed. This is a non-alpha game at this point, and I'm not entirely frustrated with the word "Beta" getting slapped on.

Server performance and latency issues of all kind still exist but are not like they were at all, and considering the implementation of prototype D.I. you'd figure the servers would be dying when in fact they are not. Very good work here.

Overall, if you have been waiting to pre-order NS2 - don't. This is the point where you can actually "play" the game.

The only negative comment I can spirit up is that the marine jumping noise sounds so incredibly bad; like you're mario jumping under-water.
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    Played a few games last night and I am happy to report no sound issues. The main issue I do have is crashing out of the game after getting in the comm chair I crashed out 3 times in one game maybe it's my slight overclock but this is the only place it happens? The hive now sounds like a pig being killed! I had some problems with drifter building hive in west it took 3 drifters and a bunch of tries. The server tick rate was way down with 14 players on the test server. I had a ton of fun and think this is just the kind of patch we need every week one small step at a time! Good work guys. #156 Scottie
  • DY357LXDY357LX Playing since day 1. Still can&#39;t Comm. England Join Date: 2002-10-27 Member: 1651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1836667:date=Mar 10 2011, 09:39 AM:name=ben1099)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ben1099 @ Mar 10 2011, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>IT</b><i></i> suddenly <i>hit</i> me. Building on macs drifters (bug) could actually be part of the gameplay.

Please consider - it is possible in final stages to add EXAMPLE: a mobile drone (that automatically but very slowly) clears infestation?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This, I like.
    Bit too early to determine weather the Aliens have too much of an advantage with DI but the idea of a bot that auto-clears DI could a good one further down the development-road.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Some of these small improvements have made big differences. One thing I noticed was the skulk seems to not get hung up so much and is sticking to walls quite well. The only time it does occasionally get hung up is at the base of stairs when trying to go up them but not looking up them iirc.

Games are getting pretty fun but there are a few random things that strike me as odd. For example DI being spreadable anywhere. I can understand this is needed for structure building, but maybe if harvesters could create a little at their base (around the nozzle) then only spreading DI in touch range of already established DI would function better and not be so abusive. I also find it odd how useless the flamethrower is against DI when it is supposed to be the primary counter to it. It takes about a whole 'clip' of the FT to eliminate 1 patch in the time the alien comm can put x more around you. Maybe this will balance when DI can't be built just anywhere?

I've also noticed an odd trend of marine comms who leave all other tech points open except a brief nearby chair to tier up, recycle the chair, then send marines around the map trying to take down hives as more keep going up causing long drawn out stalemates. Why do more hives keep going up? Because the map's tech points aren't secured, drifters can just sneak in, and only have to spend 20 res to be right back where they were before. Not to mention it seems comms don't understand the concept of forward bases either. They keep all their IPs at the only tech point they own (even after all weapons have researched and team res is abundant) requiring marines to cross the entire map to get to an alien hive. Is this just so no one else hops in a chair? The strategy only works when the aliens don't have a comm who understands how quick aliens can expand, yet seems to be so common to see.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Lazer: flamer vs DI is balanced by the DI being killable at the weakest link, and ammo being free (one patch of DI is almost a drifter, which is a very useful thing)
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    Good point. Maybe once something is done about where it can be built it'll feel better balanced.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    DI feels unbalanced only on Rockdown in my experience. On rockdown, the map is so small that DI can easily cover the whole map in short order. However, on Tram, and presumably all other official maps, it's less of a problem, as the aliens can't afford to push DI into marine areas until the very late game.

Marines just need some way to clear DI without flamethrowers, but it should be less efficient. It is unfair that once a res node has DI on it, marines can't build on it until they research the very expensive and time consuming flames. I think intact power nodes should very slowly kill off DI, which will give aliens a reason to keep them down and give marines a way to control an area early without flamethrowers researched yet.
  • YotopiaYotopia Join Date: 2010-11-22 Member: 75176Members
    Only tested it about 30 mins because i had not much time....

but for me i can say that the:

sound bug is gone
    performance is much better (first time it feels smooth to play with skulk)
    gameplay is more lag free

and for the next bigger patch i wish us a new map !
    we really need some new enviroment to beta test this game :)
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Only problems I've noticed ingame was an egg spawning underneath the main hive in tram and the alien commander ui being stuck on the screen.

<a href="http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9591/hiveuiremains.jpg" target="_blank">http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/9591/hiveuiremains.jpg</a>
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1836724:date=Mar 10 2011, 02:07 PM:name=Lazer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lazer @ Mar 10 2011, 02:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836724"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not to mention it seems comms don't understand the concept of forward bases either.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

personally, i don't like to commit to forward bases until late game due to the obs beacon being broken and disabled. i'm sure i will commit more carbon earlier when i have the ability to bring my team to a forward tech point instantly when there's trouble.
    I agree. The first thing I do as Aliens if Marines really push up (esp Rockdown) is keep flanking them from the opposite side of the map until the IPs go down.

It is a real struggle for Marines to then either realise the base is being attacked, or make their way from one end of the level to another before it is taken down.

The key is to have a couple of turrets in the base before you push out to counter this sort of attack, and Obs is preferable also.

Phase Gates are making a come back too soon, so that will be interesting. I did not like the 'go in, come out, repeat' until you left the right phase gate though. So maybe a sort of 'comm' overview when you enter would be cool before you pick where to leave. With the punishment that you die if the Phase Gate you entered is destroyed before you leave, and that you can't see life forms or alien structures on the overview.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    mini-maps need to start flashing correctly as they worked in ns1. res towers, hives and maybe power nodes? should start flashing on the mini-map so every player (depends on which side you on) should know quickly where to go. Adding sounds to all players to be heard to go with these key points like we had in ns1 would be great as well.

once this is added players should finally be more aware of the use of mini-maps, also mini-maps should be bit bigger as well.

the sound bug seems like its finally fixed, finally good patch. Although now we must focus on other fixes, which include better performance. (Technical Tasks)

I'm disappointed not seeing any flamethrower/shotgun fixes in this patch. I do remember brian saying they were actually working on the flamethrower, this was said on the bug tracker.
  • wakeboarderwakeboarder Join Date: 2004-09-05 Member: 31388Members, NS2 Playtester
    "They keep all their IPs at the only tech point they own"

<!--quoteo(post=1836761:date=Mar 10 2011, 06:49 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Mar 10 2011, 06:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->personally, i don't like to commit to forward bases until late game due to the obs beacon being broken and disabled. i'm sure i will commit more carbon earlier when i have the ability to bring my team to a forward tech point instantly when there's trouble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Same with me If marines start out in the base at least you have a chance to kill the rush if marines are killed then spawn away from main base it's toast with no beacon or phase gate it's way to risky! And as alien I use this info as the time to rush main base most skilled players have figured this strategy out by now. This will all change when beacon returns and phase gates are available but until then forward ip's are a luxury. #156 scottie
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1836762:date=Mar 10 2011, 06:20 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Mar 10 2011, 06:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836762"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Phase Gates are making a come back too soon, so that will be interesting. I did not like the 'go in, come out, repeat' until you left the right phase gate though. So maybe a sort of 'comm' overview when you enter would be cool before you pick where to leave. With the punishment that you die if the Phase Gate you entered is destroyed before you leave, and that you can't see life forms or alien structures on the overview.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wouldn't it be cool if it was like a "Stargate" where you can see through the portal to the other side? Maybe instead of many-to-many like NS1 they would only be one-to-one so a pair was statically linked. That would prevent a lot of the map bouncing that made it hard to track marines and hit their weak points in NS1.
    <!--quoteo(post=1836761:date=Mar 10 2011, 05:49 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Mar 10 2011, 05:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836761"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->personally, i don't like to commit to forward bases until late game due to the obs beacon being broken and disabled. i'm sure i will commit more carbon earlier when i have the ability to bring my team to a forward tech point instantly when there's trouble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ya seems the beacon really needs to be fixed. I can understand where having forward bases can become difficult to defend, but I've found as alien comm (admit I play this much more than marine comm), if I secure hives as close to the marines as possible we tend to win more often especially early on. It seems logical that if a marine comm takes those tech points he prevents this. However, I've seen many alien comms not push strong enough early on and this allows the marines the comfort of not having to deny aliens tech points and turtle while teching up as quick as possible. Agreed turtling is quite effective though.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope the aliens get their infestation tunnels or movement chamber like hive transportation back as well when the phase gates return.

Having the marine team teleporting to attack a hive while you die and respawn to the hive on the opposite side of the map and run back would be quite irritating.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1836777:date=Mar 10 2011, 08:23 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Mar 10 2011, 08:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836777"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope the aliens get their infestation tunnels or movement chamber like hive transportation back as well when the phase gates return.

Having the marine team teleporting to attack a hive while you die and respawn to the hive on the opposite side of the map and run back would be quite irritating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

thats what the shifts are supposed to do (and shifts are dropped by gorges unless the wiki was wrong).

that was the one thing that kept phasegates in check in ns1: the ability to jump into a hive and pop out at the one that was under attack. i think we can safely assume that a similar if not identical mechanic will return to allow aliens to quickly get back to a hive under attack.

edit: looks like the wiki has been changed, it's gonna be dropped by the commander.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    I'd suggest some sort of BF2-style spawning system where you can choose which CC to spawn at (as long as there are IPs associated with those CCs) - Same for aliens, they can choose which hive to spawn at. I would go further and say that aliens should be able to switch between eggs, but not for marines and IPs because of spawn queue bottlenecking. Just as the aliens have vision before spawning from an egg, so that they can get a bearing on the situation and their surroundings, I think the same should apply to marines - like three seconds of vision through the IP before spawning; and spawning at the visual orientation that you were at prior to spawning. Of course, there has to be some visual indication that a marine is spawning and has vision, so aliens know when to back off.
  • menderleitmenderleit Join Date: 2010-12-21 Member: 75817Members
    Keep up the good work... :)

The soundtrack reminded me of EVE Online a bit... (I thought maybe someone in the background was playing EVE while you were talking) :P
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    do everyone a favour and please stop putting those horrible videos on your mainpage!

unless you sing, dance or do something similar funny.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1836823:date=Mar 11 2011, 02:37 PM:name=c0ke)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (c0ke @ Mar 11 2011, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1836823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->do everyone a favour and please stop putting those horrible videos on your mainpage!

unless you sing, dance or do something similar funny.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you dont like them - dont watch them... its that easy!
    Pure hatefullness/bi###iness of yours.