Natural Selection 2 News Update - An announcement from NaturalSelection2HD

Comments

• Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Who is this NS2HD guy anyways, I've never even heard of him :P
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1829729:date=Feb 4 2011, 05:31 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Feb 4 2011, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829729"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...and go all David Attenborough on them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh you should do that get some footage when they are not looking.
    and post voice over it in the David Attenborough style.

Notice how the Flayra approaches the bug like he is about to eat it...and then suddenly retreats
    This is to gather more caffeine and sugar before the chase.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Awesome news! Good luck and have fun. Can't wait to see the videos :)
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    Sounds cool. Your videos have been nothing but professional, so it will be good for UWE to get some nice videos and good footage. Shaky flip camera just doesn't cut it.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    "Luckily, they fly to San Fransisco"

Haha, way to make it sound like we Australian's just discovered commercial flights.
  • duxdux Tea Lady Join Date: 2003-12-14 Member: 24371Members, NS2 Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1829839:date=Feb 5 2011, 09:36 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Feb 5 2011, 09:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Luckily, they fly to San Fransisco"

Haha, way to make it sound like we Australian's just discovered commercial flights.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I heard you guys only got internet last year.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1829839:date=Feb 5 2011, 10:36 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Feb 5 2011, 10:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829839"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Luckily, they fly to San Fransisco"

Haha, way to make it sound like we Australian's just discovered commercial flights.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that part was funny

now the pressure is on for UWE to give him some good stuff (exosuit render hint hint)
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    Have a fun trip, love the videos!
  • JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    I want to see some bloopers :D
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    edited February 2011
    Sweet deal dude! Hope you have a great time and get some awesome footage. You should make a documentary on if there is alien life within Brian's beard!
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Flayra said this on the Twitter: "Get some sleep - you'll need it." Was this a deliberate Matrix reference? Either way it's Awesome.
  • mattoXmattoX Join Date: 2007-08-01 Member: 61739Members
    I think UWE should feel very, very lucky they have a person who's ability to present himself, his videos and his speech so well! It's basically the only reason I really watch the videos because i'm able to understand everything with clarity and proper perspective. Keep doin' what your doin' mate!

Matt.
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    Sigh, this is what I was afraid of.

UWE have to somehow bios NS2HD to favor them in his videos, since his channel has grown so large now and is being used by alot of potentials customers as a 'should i buy this game' question answerer...

They cant be too forward or manipulative, so they do things like buy this guy a trip to America, who wouldnt want more celeb status (pre alpha testing etc) and flights to SanFran for making a few youtube vids?

<b>I guess we're not going to see real objective videos any time soon...</b> like we havent seen in a while.

As long as it helps NS2HD's career in filmography right?

someone needs to start another NS2 channel exploring the good AND BAD issues of the gameplay and engine... to discussion and information flowing properly.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Is that you gamer?
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    Someone was able to watch the announcement and can tell me what it is about?

Thank you...
  • T_RATT_RAT Join Date: 2002-12-17 Member: 10967Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Exciting stuff. Hope you have a safe trip and get heaps of cool vid's.
    Been loving all your work.
  • TempesT487TempesT487 Join Date: 2009-04-15 Member: 67195Members, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1829999:date=Feb 6 2011, 08:59 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Feb 6 2011, 08:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They cant be too forward or manipulative, so they do things like buy this guy a trip to America, who wouldnt want more celeb status (pre alpha testing etc) and flights to SanFran for making a few youtube vids?

<b>I guess we're not going to see real objective videos any time soon...</b> like we havent seen in a while.

someone needs to start another NS2 channel exploring the good AND BAD issues of the gameplay and engine... to discussion and information flowing properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

They didn't pay for his trip to America, so the first thing you said makes no sense.

What career in filmography? It's a handheld camera mate it's not difficult.

NS2HD isn't a critic and never was. So I don't understand your problem. He just does game commentaries and reports on the progress of the game. There is already a forum and a feedback system for providing criticism, stop making it sound like NS2HD has become some puppet in UW's masterful plan to supress all criticism and establish world domination.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    everyone is free to make videos where they bash UWE, but i suppose people that invest all their time doing videos do that because they actually like the game and want it to succeed. I for one really like his videos, and if i need a objective view, i just start the game myself
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Assuming this was a request for a summary of the video announcement....

<!--quoteo(post=1830001:date=Feb 6 2011, 10:41 AM:name=korvo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (korvo @ Feb 6 2011, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830001"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Someone was able to watch the announcement and can tell me what it is about?

Thank you...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Youtube user NS2HD , who has a channel on Youtube dedicated to NS2 videos and game commentry , was invited to San Fransico to meet the UWE devs and do some videos.
    There wont be any game commentry for the week, but look forward to some footage of his ( NS2HD ) visit.
    That about sums it up.
  • Mr_NittyMr_Nitty Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30091Members
    This is great. What I love about NS2HD is how thorough and professional he is. Also, he is fast, theres almost always a new video when I look under my Youtube subscriptions.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1829999:date=Feb 6 2011, 05:59 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Feb 6 2011, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829999"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sigh, this is what I was afraid of.

UWE have to somehow bios NS2HD to favor them in his videos, since his channel has grown so large now and is being used by alot of potentials customers as a 'should i buy this game' question answerer...

They cant be too forward or manipulative, so they do things like buy this guy a trip to America, who wouldnt want more celeb status (pre alpha testing etc) and flights to SanFran for making a few youtube vids?

someone needs to start another NS2 channel exploring the good AND BAD issues of the gameplay and engine... to discussion and information flowing properly.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Why focus on the negatives? People aren't paying for the game as-is, they're paying for a game that isn't yet made. That's the definition of a pre-order. Players just get early access to the incomplete product if they do pre-order. That it's buggy and laggy now is not a reflection of the final product that one is paying for. NS2HD is good for PR. Good PR = Good Sales = Large Playerbase = Longevity and Fun. It's true that it sets higher expectations than what can be experienced by most players currently, but I think that most people do intuitively understand that "Beta" implies an unfinished and unpolished product. Proof of this is the fact that most potential buyers (NS as a "mere" Half-Life mod had an audience of something like 300,000) are still holding back from purchasing. NS2HD's current videos are essentially a "promise" of what's to come, a glimpse as to how the game will look and function in the future. When UWE lives up to their promise and our expectations, we'll forget all about the dark past.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    In reply to Scorpydude's comments, and the concurrent feedback. I think this is a PR problem.

When you are part of a large institution and people are paying good money for things, they tend to hang on ever word. Which is exactly why UWE and Hugh have to be more careful about how and what they word. A single word is very important.

Some people it bothers more than others. I am old enough to have a lot of patience, and I am enjoying the ride. But that is just me.

If NS2HD is going to talk through his videos, he can't make generalised remarks unless he has absolute confirmation of absolute fact.

Examples:

"The game is really smooth and lag is non existant." - Or something to that extent has been said.

Instead he should have said:

"This game is really smooth 'for me' and lag is non existant."

See what a difference two words can make? When you have 1000s (more importantly groups) of people who have the 'man power' to examine every word, sentence and discuss it in public - this becomes a problem.

The T-Rat video is another example - I think any experience gamer (I hate to suggest that I am a pro gamer, but I certainly was at a high level in UK CS scene a while ago) who saw that video which was proclaimed as pro play will completely differ in their opinion. Pro gamers, sadly, tend to play more than 2 hours a day in the evening every single day.

They practice everything from how they move through the levels as a group, how you assault rooms/levels as a group and work through play after play after play at a high level. It is obsessive. Enjoyable at the time, but I think it was ridiculous when I look back at it. If you haven't before, you won't understand the dedication or the abilities of some of these people.

More to the point is that 162 was not a positive change for the Skulk, seriously reducing the bite. Also, depending on servers (at the moment) you can either casually walk through a level one shotting Skulks or struggle to see the action due to rubber banding.

UWE have done similar things, the worst of which for me was the beta release where one of the team wrote in their own words:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking for myself, if I knew how much work this was going to be, I may not have done it. Yet here we are and here you are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I understand how much this game has probably taken out of your lives, and life is not one big 'smiley affair' but remember that you are representing an organisation as a whole. Whilst the honesty was touching, I think it came across very negatively. It makes me think from a newcomers perspective (a lot of us played NS1, there is trust, we know you can do this, we know the quality of the original) that the last thing you'll want to be doing is buying into a game that one of the main developers thinks "If I look back now, I might not have done it." Even if it was one of those things that we say in times of stress, and don't really mean.

At the end of the day, this reply has taken a much more serious approach. Hugh is having fun making videos, you guys are having fun making a game and as an individual I enjoy you making a game and following things closely.

I suppose (from a third person perspective) my comments would be to the like of: be more political on what you post. Never take a straight line, always take the mid ground - more neutral. It might not be as honest as you would like - but never set things in stone that are embedded in the depths of the internet forever, to be dragged up time and time again.
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    like to say gratz hugh and love to see the vids.
    All i have to say is people taking it too seriously, just relax and enjoy.
  • countbasiecountbasie Join Date: 2008-12-27 Member: 65884Members
    I hope he doesn't talk them to death.

No offense.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    Just to clarify, this trip was Hughs idea, and he has arranged and paid for the whole thing himself, which is both impressive and flattering that he would want to go through that much trouble to meet us. He was eager to come see San Francisco and UW, and record some footage, and we certainly didn't want to say no to him. There is no grand scheme, no PR manipulation going on here, sorry to disappoint. We are not involved in the videos that Hugh does for his channel, and he is such a naturally enthusiastic and positive individual who loves NS1 and NS2, that we certainly wouldn't need to somehow bribe him to talk well about us.

He is doing an amazing job on his youtube vids, and putting a lot of his free time and energy into those, and I hate seeing any negative comments geared towards him, and the style and substance of the videos he creates.

That said, we met him face to face for the first time last night, and I can honestly say that he is the biggest ###### I've ever met. A complete and total arrogant jerk, who whines and complains about everything, and makes rude comments about our mothers, and I don't think I've ever met a more despicable human being (and just because he's from Australia, its no excuse).

:P

Ok, kidding aside, Hugh is every bit as friendly, funny, easy going and uber enthusiastic as he comes across in his videos, and we are happy to have him here for a few days.

--Cory
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1830019:date=Feb 6 2011, 02:52 PM:name=Harimau)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Harimau @ Feb 6 2011, 02:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830019"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why focus on the negatives? People aren't paying for the game as-is, they're paying for a game that isn't yet made. That's the definition of a pre-order. Players just get early access to the incomplete product if they do pre-order. That it's buggy and laggy now is not a reflection of the final product that one is paying for. NS2HD is good for PR. Good PR = Good Sales = Large Playerbase = Longevity and Fun. It's true that it sets higher expectations than what can be experienced by most players currently, but I think that most people do intuitively understand that "Beta" implies an unfinished and unpolished product. Proof of this is the fact that most potential buyers (NS as a "mere" Half-Life mod had an audience of something like 300,000) are still holding back from purchasing. NS2HD's current videos are essentially a "promise" of what's to come, a glimpse as to how the game will look and function in the future. When UWE lives up to their promise and our expectations, we'll forget all about the dark past.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The decision of people whether or not to buy the game at this point indeed depends on what the expected outcome is going to be, but certainly also the state of the product as it it right now, and I don't think a lot of players here have bought the game so they can wait for another 2 years until it's become playable at last. It is that second factor (the current state of the game) that NS2HD outright misrepresents time and again. You could argue this is good for UWE nonetheless, as it generates a much needed income to get this game completed, but regardless it is reprehensible to say the least. Add the fact that NS2HD and UWE appear rather close, and you're left with a nasty PR-cocktail.

I'm not particularly bothered with the phrasing in NS2HD's videos, as Runteh pointed out, with sufficient viewers there will always be nitpicks to be had. I'm more annoyed with the complete ABSENCE of commentary regarding certain facets of the game. B162 for example, had improved FPS (varying among the players, but still) and NS2HD rightly pointed this out. The rubber-banding cluster###### however, I haven't heard a peep of, nor the completely ###### hit-reg of skulk-bites. And just for a laugh, I'd like to see NS2 just outright CRASH in one of his videos.

Well, this post was more vicious than I wanted it to be, but I'm just getting really annoyed with the massive contrast between my game-experience and what's being perpetrated.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
    Perhaps the only PR problem which might occur is a negative one. I mean he can actually run the game as smooth as silk mostly, but people tend to forget that his rig is more powerful than your average rig. Instead people might then buy the game and end up with an unplayable game, after which they proceed to spread negative PR about NS2. Because of the smooth gameplay they observed on NS2HD vids, all of which was their own damn fault, but this is the thing about us humans. Most canae admit their own damn faults or mistakes :P

I still find it so odd that I can still run NS2 pretty smooth (given some stutter and server side issues), while even recording... Well I could record, but Fraps doesn't register NS2 anymore somehow (WTF OMG). Keeping in mind that my computer is quite old in PC terms...

But actually saying Hugh is a stooge for NS2, wtf is up with that... All of his vids are quite insightful and also have the negative stuff about the engine in the commentary as well. The fact that he actually is doing all of this on his own accord is just amazing. I for one will keep pimping his channel on mine and once I get my recording powers back for NS2 I might join the fun as well. I just love the fact that he surpassed me in subs so quickly and is now able to get the word out on NS2 even better then I could. Not yet fully viral, but awesome none the less :D
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1830079:date=Feb 6 2011, 09:21 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 6 2011, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Perhaps the only PR problem which might occur is a negative one. I mean he can actually run the game as smooth as silk mostly, but people tend to forget that his rig is more powerful than your average rig. Instead people might then buy the game and end up with an unplayable game, after which they proceed to spread negative PR about NS2. Because of the smooth gameplay they observed on NS2HD vids, all of which was their own damn fault, but this is the thing about us humans. Most canae admit their own damn faults or mistakes :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You are right of course, people shouldn't expect a reasonable framerate on anything less than a 12GHz i7 and at least 4 gigabytes of video-memory. Bunch of idiots they are...
    <!--quoteo(post=1830080:date=Feb 6 2011, 08:35 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Feb 6 2011, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You are right of course, people shouldn't expect a reasonable framerate on anything less than a 12GHz i7 and at least 4 gigabytes of video-memory. Bunch of idiots they are...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Quoting out of context it seems is the hip thing to do these days... But let me help you out there ->

<!--quoteo(post=1830079:date=Feb 6 2011, 08:21 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Feb 6 2011, 08:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1830079"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still find it so odd that I can still run NS2 pretty smooth (given some stutter and server side issues), while even recording... Well I could record, but Fraps doesn't register NS2 anymore somehow (WTF OMG). Keeping in mind that my computer is quite old in PC terms...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

C2D E6420 @ 2.4Ghz here with a HD4850 512Mb and a 2Gb of DDR @ 900Mhz
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS > GAME QUESTIONS > WHAT ARE THE SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS AND WHEN WILL NS2 BE RELEASED?

A 1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, Steam, mouse, keyboard and of course, an internet connection. We are working hard to make sure NS2 runs well on average hardware without having to upgrade your machine! We are doing heavy optimization work now

NS2 is currently in alpha/beta testing and we do not currently have a release date set yet. It all depends how smoothly beta testing goes...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe there should be a "Beta requirements" set on that page @ NS2.com to make it much clearer and transparent.