NS2 Progress

Comments

• CymenCymen Join Date: 2010-12-10 Member: 75593Members
    edited February 2011
    luns,
    all MACs can do is build (too slow for an effective push) and repair. it's not like they make building-marines obsolete. I don't care wether they add welders as long as they are high-tech for the late game. MACs and all their current abilities (possibly more to come) are here to stay. besides, we should wait for the beta to be feature complete.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Nice work Raza on the scoreboard changes, I missed being able to see that info from NS1!
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Fix players being able to fly after using ladders<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

lol
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1829102:date=Feb 2 2011, 02:30 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Feb 2 2011, 02:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829102"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice work Raza on the scoreboard changes, I missed being able to see that info from NS1!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, two thumbs up!
  • Slickk-Slickk- Join Date: 2007-11-26 Member: 63019Members
    Some of the things on the progress have been removed, like the DI one and the collision wonkyness.
    Or is that just me?
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1829127:date=Feb 1 2011, 09:09 PM:name=Slickk-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slickk- @ Feb 1 2011, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829127"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some of the things on the progress have been removed, like the DI one and the collision wonkyness.
    Or is that just me?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I noticed too, probably pushed back :(

At least we know they're focusing on DI gameplay now, finally!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Investigate Skulk bite effectiveness<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->Thank the gods! =P
    Now all I need to see is "reduce SG damage and increase scatter" and I'll be one happy panda
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    Are you serious? SG cone max is 27 degrees. That means that for every (1) unit of distance in front of the gun, the circle of fire is more than one (1.02) unit of distance in diameter (2*tan(27deg)). That is a ridiculously huge cone of fire already. Shotgun is only useful at point blank range.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thank the gods! =P
    Now all I need to see is "reduce SG damage and increase scatter" and I'll be one happy panda<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Speaking of shotgun, how does it fare with upgrades and one-shotting skulks throughout the game?
    Will one armour upgrade from aliens stop it from oneshotting a non-upgraded shotgun in one blast, and so on?
    I think personally it's kind of boring that every weapon besides the LMG can so easily take out a skulk with little effort too. For being more "bulky" than NS1 so far it only accounts for their size, not their survivability it feels like.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited February 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1829152:date=Feb 2 2011, 06:16 PM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Feb 2 2011, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829152"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Speaking of shotgun, how does it fare with upgrades and one-shotting skulks throughout the game?
    Will one armour upgrade from aliens stop it from oneshotting a non-upgraded shotgun in one blast, and so on?
    I think personally it's kind of boring that every weapon besides the LMG can so easily take out a skulk with little effort too. For being more "bulky" than NS1 so far it only accounts for their size, not their survivability it feels like.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There are 10 pellets per shot, each dealing 20 maximum damage (at point-blank - and I assume this is what you want to consider). It's the normal damage-type, so the Skulk has an effective HP of 70+2*10 = 90.
    So,
    Weapons0: 5 pellets
    Weapons1: 5 pellets
    Weapons2: 4 pellets
    Weapons3: 4 pellets
    In any case, it takes only about half a shot to kill a skulk at point-blank range. You could ostensibly kill two skulks in one shot if they were lined up right and your pellets also hit each perfectly and evenly.
    More realistically though, it translates to one-shotting skulks at point-blank range; and even if skulks had a reasonable armour upgrade (all the way up to 65 total armour), marines would still be able to one-shot them at point-blank range. Only with 66 armour or above (and marines have Weapons0) would a Skulk have a chance at living after a point-blank shot. Highly unlikely situation. With Weapons3 shotguns, a skulk could have all the way up to 95 armour and still die at point-blank range; 96 and above and there's a chance of living after that first shot.
    I haven't seen any armour upgrades for the aliens implemented as yet, anyway.

There is damage drop off for each pellet at longer ranges, for a minimum damage of 14. However, at these longer ranges, it's likely that all of your pellets will miss (which I explained before), so it's not really worth considering.

The only thing I can suggest to potential skulks fighting shotguns, is... don't. Or approach from behind, or just somehow don't let them hit you at point-blank. The lerk with its superior ranged weaponry, or possibly fade with its relative tankiness (still risky, but higher survivability - takes two-and-a-half point-blank Weapons0 shotgun shots) are probably your best bet.
    <!--quoteo(post=1829128:date=Feb 2 2011, 05:13 AM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 2 2011, 05:13 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829128"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I noticed too, probably pushed back :(

At least we know they're focusing on DI gameplay now, finally!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thinking about it, i seem to remember reading/hearing that they are changing build/test/patch days to Monday and Tuesday. Perhaps there's a timeline shift happening.

A lot of things accepted this week though but i look at it and wonder if it needs a patch. Like there looks like there isn't anything thats a gamechanger in the patch unlike 162 with physics etc improvements.

Although then that drifts into the argument between Larger Substantial patches coming at a slow rate vs high frequency lower impact patches.
  • XuXuXuXu Join Date: 2011-01-01 Member: 76096Members, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1829179:date=Feb 2 2011, 02:19 PM:name=Slickk-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slickk- @ Feb 2 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829179"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A lot of things accepted this week though but i look at it and wonder if it needs a patch. Like there looks like there isn't anything thats a gamechanger in the patch unlike 162 with physics etc improvements.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

uhm, don't know what you mean with "gamechanger" but I think there will be some features like the running whip, the portable power packs and the new scoreboard in Build 163! :)

And Max said, he is looking at the GarbageCollector currently, which will reduce lag and memory usage a bit.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    Oh man i hope we can try dynamic infestation soon, i guess and hope the models behind the DI will be removed because of occlusion.
    <!--quoteo(post=1829202:date=Feb 2 2011, 06:42 PM:name=XuXu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XuXu @ Feb 2 2011, 06:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829202"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uhm, don't know what you mean with "gamechanger" but I think there will be some features like the running whip, the portable power packs and the new scoreboard in Build 163! :)

And Max said, he is looking at the GarbageCollector currently, which will reduce lag and memory usage a bit.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

By gamechanger i mean something that will significantly affect the game. For example, last build seems to have improved most peoples fps by about 10. Sure thats only 10 but thats a significant improvement. Another example of a gamechanger in my mind would be adding entirely new things i.e. the Onos/Heavy etc.

Granted the new scoreboard would be a nice addition but the running whip has vanished from the progress tracker (or perhaps i've gone blind from staring at VS all day today!). Has the new scoreboard been shown in a SS anywhere? Would love to see it.
  • XuXuXuXu Join Date: 2011-01-01 Member: 76096Members, Reinforced - Silver
    for a better overview they take out the accepted tasks every sunday/monday midnight! :)

so the running whips + portable powerpacks will be in 163! I think these are two good gamechangers?!
    I didn't see them as accepted. If that's the case then that's awesome. I thought they vanished with a couple of other things post monday update. Allthough i am in GMT so it's possible i saw them before any scripts were run when they guys got in on Monday. Will have to wait and see if they are in B163.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    How come you removed the dynamic infestation prototype from the pivotal tracker? Does that mean it requires more work, or is it already done? :)
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1829223:date=Feb 2 2011, 09:38 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Feb 2 2011, 09:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829223"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How come you removed the dynamic infestation prototype from the pivotal tracker? Does that mean it requires more work, or is it already done? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Huh?
    <b>Prototype dynamic infestation gameplay</b> <u><b>Started</b></u>
    <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->:)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1829242:date=Feb 2 2011, 11:12 PM:name=Price)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Price @ Feb 2 2011, 11:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829242"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Huh?
    <b>Prototype dynamic infestation gameplay</b> <u><b>Started</b></u>
    <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->:)<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It was gone for a while apparently :)
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    "Grenades sometimes collide with player before launching"

This is all that i care about from the next patch. I mean how can i use the gl, with an armory next to me to spam the east hive, if the damn things keep falling out of the gun at my feet xD
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    I wonder if the Marine UI art changes will go in? I'm eager for that extra space inbetween to select things with :P
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    Movement on stairs fixed. Glad they'd listen to us.. Also excited about the DI, hope it makes 163 in some form!
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1829349:date=Feb 2 2011, 10:51 PM:name=PsiWarp)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PsiWarp @ Feb 2 2011, 10:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1829349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder if the Marine UI art changes will go in? I'm eager for that extra space inbetween to select things with :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's in.
  • RTVRTV Join Date: 2008-06-09 Member: 64417Members
    Will the Voice be fixed?
    If somebody speak his sound is very loud and next time silence.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    @Harimaru: Thanks for the explanation on the shotgun, it does sound a bit... iffy at the moment. That it requires only half of the pellets to hit as well as making it even more noticeable with weapon-upgrades does seem like Skulk is pretty much useless in any situation in the game once shotguns are researched, but as you said alien-armour will probably help out somewhat.
    I may be a bit grumpy about the shotgun and Skulk so <i>I am a biased</i> of course, but really I'd like the form to stay useful throughout the entire game without being just a way of wearing out the "W"-key to run and die over and over.
    Oh well, balance is always ongoing so it'll come out alright eventually.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I got two skulk kills with one shotgun blast last night. Marines had weapons 2. It took me a second to figure out what happened. Anyway, aliens do have armor absorption upgrades, but as was pointed out, it really doesn't help a skulk against a shotgun at all. Once the other upgrades are in (like Carapace), I hope skulks will be able to survive a point-blank shotgun.

The BEST upgrade aliens can do at the moment is to get Melee 1 upgrade ASAP. This allows skulks to kill marines in 2 bites instead of 3, which makes a huge difference. Of course marines can counter by getting armor upgrades, but the skulks will maintain the 2-bite kill advantage as long as the alien melee upgrade is at least one greater than the marine armor upgrade level.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited February 2011
    *Moved my post to other thread.*
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->New OnThink functionality<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    new what? o_°
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2011
    "Prototype dynamic infestation gameplay" - Accepted

I think I spotted a post by Max earlier though that there won't be any graphical elements to this?

Or am I totally wrong and there will be?

How is this prototype going to appear and function in the next build? I'm confused!
    'Prototype dynamic infestation gameplay - Accepted'

Yes! Sentry arcs, crawling Whips, DI w00t!