Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Build 162 released

Comments

• kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    My framerate went up by 10-15fps but player movement is extremely jerky and stutery :(
  • MurderKingMurderKing Join Date: 2010-12-31 Member: 76066Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1827445:date=Jan 26 2011, 04:54 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Jan 26 2011, 04:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I do have a serious question :

Why is NS2 the only game I have that makes my HDD work so hard ? Loading up the game and the HDD is working like crazy , way more than any other game I have and for so long. I tried defragging the drive to see if it was fragmented but no change... long load time and serious HDD thrashing ( and no its not paging either, got 4 gigs RAM and I run my PC efficiently ).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Being in beta, textures, maps, bits of code etc etc arent thrown into big archives like they normally would be, so when youre loading a map the game needs to read a couple of thousand files or so during that process. Even though the individual files arent fragmented on your hard drive, the files will be spread all over the drive, meaning the hard drive readingheads have to find the files all over the the physical radius of the discs, instead of continuously reading them from one big unfragmented archive.
    This results in lots of crunchy noises. Oh, and is one of the reasons we are seing somewhat long loadtimes.
    This is not an issue with SSDs.
  • korvokorvo Join Date: 2009-11-19 Member: 69427Members, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1827462:date=Jan 26 2011, 05:50 PM:name=kabab)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kabab @ Jan 26 2011, 05:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827462"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My framerate went up by 10-15fps but player movement is extremely jerky and stutery :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Much better (smoother) for me.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    Really seems to depend on server. Played on ArmoryChamber and it was all laggy and rubber-band movement. Played on another european server afterwards (I think Swedish) and the lagging was fine, rubber-band gone.
  • SupernornSupernorn Best. Picture. Ever. Made. Ever. Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7608Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1827445:date=Jan 26 2011, 03:54 PM:name=ASnogarD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ASnogarD @ Jan 26 2011, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->LOL , what have you guys done UWE ?

Theres some really funny bugs and stuff going on I found. You need to sack your playtesters , that is if you were paying them :P ( joke by the way ).

Bugs I found casually playing about :

- Surfaces seems to remember where bullets hit them and replay a hit ( all projectiles ) , occasionally remembers up to 3 hits and it retains the hit memory for quiet some time too ... I would shoot with the pistol 1 shot, wait 10- sec and shoot a different spot and both hits would be shown on the surface.
    I would imagine this would be costly in performance remembering projectile hits ?

- Gorge spit seems to have aquired a rubber like property , if you hit some surfaces ( notably metalic ones ) the spit bounces about quite a bit... in fact one spit projectile slowed down by the bouncing remained in the world long after being shot.

- Armory behaves strange , on one armory the arms of the other stations would open instead of the station I was approaching , health and ammo was handed out as if it was med spam and ammo packs ( rectangle teleport animation at the Marines feet ). This wasnt consistant to all Armories, the first one I built had slightly different but not normal behavior with the arms of the stations.

- Shotgun reload animation is jerky and I think the reload audio cue plays multiple times rapidly... its sounds odd at least.

This isnt a complaint just feedback , the patch is actually a decent patch.
    Still need to give it a go on a few more online matches.

I do have a serious question :

Why is NS2 the only game I have that makes my HDD work so hard ? Loading up the game and the HDD is working like crazy , way more than any other game I have and for so long. I tried defragging the drive to see if it was fragmented but no change... long load time and serious HDD thrashing ( and no its not paging either, got 4 gigs RAM and I run my PC efficiently ).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Two points.

1) Just because there are bugs, it doesn't necessarily mean the testers or the devs are unaware of them. There's a priority, and graphical issues are low on the list.

2) The game is not currently in an optimised state. It's an ongoing process, and it will probably put more strain on your system than other titles.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Relax Supernorm , it was a joke about the testers , as I said.

I dont want to create more login and stuff for Getsatisfaction , so I just mention what I found when I comment on a gameplay experience for a build.
    Some of the bugs I mentioned are not just graphical, I am pretty sure storing hit locations for old hits would use up some serious resources , and the bouncing Gorge spit can easily result in a flood of spir projectiles lagging a server down.
    The Armory bug doesnt just look bad it has ramifications during play, delays in heals and ammo resupply.
    As I said... it aint a complaint, its just feedback.

I know the game aint optimised , I was just wondering why the HDD was getting such a workout ... I have been wondering if re downloading the whole game would of helped.
  • maessemaesse Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71213Members
    edited January 2011
    The video is AWESOME.

If this doesn't take too much out of your time, you should definitely keep making them. Interesting to watch and gives the team a "face"/personality. Where was Max though? ;)

Edit: The new staircase, used in Junctions RR is also very nice! I've been using it to test my movement code, so that's why I noticed it has been changed :)
  • JunubeeJunubee Join Date: 2011-01-26 Member: 79043Members
    Fantastically more playable than 161, I didn't feel useless as a Marine!

However, there is a very bad bug that is causing random invulnerability in Marines. It's fixable by going back to the readyroom and then back to a team. But people assume you do this intentionally and it makes the environment very hostile. My game crashed later on that round (after I became invincible, went to the rr, back into marines, and died a few times), so hopefully the log report gives you a clue.

Keep up the good work, I had three very solid and fun games today.
  • RUben1RUben1 Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75246Members
    Black screen is terrible in Tram now:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJIbyKe2JA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJIbyKe2JA</a>
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827498:date=Jan 26 2011, 08:17 PM:name=RUben1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RUben1 @ Jan 26 2011, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Black screen is terrible in Tram now:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJIbyKe2JA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJIbyKe2JA</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Damn - you get an amazing framerate!!!!! :O

im resigned to the fact that i need a new computer to play this game even when its optimized etc ¬ .¬
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1827502:date=Jan 26 2011, 08:35 PM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Jan 26 2011, 08:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827502"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Damn - you get an amazing framerate!!!!! :O

im resigned to the fact that i need a new computer to play this game even when its optimized etc ¬ .¬<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

30 - 60 fps, it's not so much fps lag, but server lag that slows down the game. (+ youtube smooth out)
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827414:date=Jan 26 2011, 02:19 PM:name=twiliteblue)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (twiliteblue @ Jan 26 2011, 02:19 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827414"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some undocumented changes:

*Bite range increased from 0.6 to 0.8
    *Flamethrower direct damage reduced from 25 to 20
    *Flamethrower damage-over-time reduced from 10 to 8<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

why is that undocumented? such things are rly good to know!
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    Great video, hope to see more of them!
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited January 2011
    Thank god this isn't just me, yeah I was black screening horribly in Tram today. I could also see through the walls at times.
    Also getting stuck on everything, even on stairs. Just made this example:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Dun8SCTao" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Dun8SCTao</a>
  • maessemaesse Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71213Members
    edited January 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1827522:date=Jan 26 2011, 07:30 PM:name=RUben1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RUben1 @ Jan 26 2011, 07:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827522"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also getting stuck on everything, even on stairs. Just made this example:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Dun8SCTao" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4Dun8SCTao</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, it's because modern collision systems use capsules instead of square boxes to represent the player, so when you hit something small near your feet, you sometimes get that "bouncy" feel, like you don't have legs but are rolling around like a ball. I'm sure it can be worked out though. (I have a thread in modding with some pictures where you can see the effect)

<!--quoteo(post=1827498:date=Jan 26 2011, 06:17 PM:name=RUben1)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RUben1 @ Jan 26 2011, 06:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Black screen is terrible in Tram now:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJIbyKe2JA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deJIbyKe2JA</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=112525" target="_blank">Maybe this is your problem</a>
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Played my first 162 game yesterday. I wasn't aware of the sound changes. When I went up to a marine and bit him, I got the kill sound effect from NS1. I assumed I had killed him and started chomping at the powernode, but it's just a new wound sound, and I was quickly taken out by the still very much alive marine. lol
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827530:date=Jan 26 2011, 04:41 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Jan 26 2011, 04:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827530"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Played my first 162 game yesterday. I wasn't aware of the sound changes. When I went up to a marine and bit him, I got the kill sound effect from NS1. I assumed I had killed him and started chomping at the powernode, but it's just a new wound sound, and I was quickly taken out by the still very much alive marine. lol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It didn't occur to me until you posted this but I had the exact same issue when I played last night. Hopefully it's just a placeholder sound because I don't know if I would ever get use to them transposing the two sounds.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited January 2011
    This may be a bug or something you guys never ran into but the med and ammo packs seem to have a clipping box around them, and they stack, so if the commander drops them at the top of a stairwell (or anywhere where there is a step of sorts) the med or ammo packs can prevent you from walking up. I would think this would be fixed by making the packs no-clip.
  • AtlantisThiefAtlantisThief Join Date: 2010-11-24 Member: 75254Members
    Patch sounds awesome, also increased the performance for me. I was also able to command a little bit (it was very hard because of big lags there). At all, running and shooting works, I also had my first kill ever today ^^.
    I detected a little "bug":
    Marine - Rifle -> Shooting directly under you feet (As far down as you can go) let your screen rotate strangely, as soon as you stop, you get back to the "starting rotation".
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1827535:date=Jan 26 2011, 01:48 PM:name=Cerebral)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cerebral @ Jan 26 2011, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827535"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It didn't occur to me until you posted this but I had the exact same issue when I played last night. Hopefully it's just a placeholder sound because I don't know if I would ever get use to them transposing the two sounds.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep it's a placeholder. Look at the twitter update--they're working on it now.
  • Cyborg16Cyborg16 Join Date: 2006-11-18 Member: 58656Members
    Cool! One line: it's nice to see <b>who</b>'s working on NS2 and <b>how</b> you guys work every so often!
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited January 2011
    My prediction has come true! Charlie is bearded :P
  • danshyudanshyu Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2105Members
    For some reason Marines feels extremly hard to kill with Skulk now. Perhaps because of the range increase it's also harder to get the bite to register now?
  • kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    Loved the video changelog.

lower the music.
    use a tripod.
    that's all the professionalism you need.

Excellent format though open with charlie, talk about the stuff coming, hint at the future.

Build 162
    Only found games with tram which was interesting...but I can't compare it to most of the games i played before (rockdown)

From the tram perspective.
    Game is getting prettier and more playable but encounters (large fights) usually mean screeching to an almost halt...and then I'm dead.
    I am hoping this is due to netcode at this point.
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    edited January 2011
    Finally getting to play the 162 update and I find that my game is now mostly broken.

The game freezes after several seconds of moving around or trying to do anything. At first I thought it had to do something with movement, but on investigation I've found that I'm getting sound loops either from ambient noises or structures. I can't hear footsteps or marine rifle fire (just some extremely fast looping noise). I've had zero issues running the game until the 162 update. Checking the task manager after it freezes I see NS2.exe's memory usage shoots up 0.5 gigs to 1.5 from the usual 1.0 when running normally. Perhaps my game integrity was comprimised when it downloaded the new build...I'll try a redownload for now and see if anything changes.

Before the 162 build I usually had around 23-45 fps in a 5v5 server. My own game with minimal stuff I'd hit 40-80 fps. Looking forward to any improvements!

System:
    W7 64-bit RC
    ATI 5850 (stock)
    Intel i7 860 (stock)
    4GB RAM (stock)

1680x1050 with highest settings I can choose
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    Well, patch = comment

This patch had a lot of subjectively felt improvements for me in it

<ul><li>better fps (on a 6vs 6 server)</li><li>being able to hit with lmg</li><li>seeing beacon work</li></ul>minor annoyance being that thereis no "whoooosh-sound" when i passed through the hologram ;-)

all in all = good improvement
  • Josh86Josh86 Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75513Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1827622:date=Jan 26 2011, 08:03 PM:name=Josh86)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Josh86 @ Jan 26 2011, 08:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1827622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Finally getting to play the 162 update and I find that my game is now mostly broken.

The game freezes after several seconds of moving around or trying to do anything. At first I thought it had to do something with movement, but on investigation I've found that I'm getting sound loops either from ambient noises or structures. I can't hear footsteps or marine rifle fire (just some extremely fast looping noise). I've had zero issues running the game until the 162 update. Checking the task manager after it freezes I see NS2.exe's memory usage shoots up 0.5 gigs to 1.5 from the usual 1.0 when running normally. Perhaps my game integrity was comprimised when it downloaded the new build...I'll try a redownload for now and see if anything changes.

Before the 162 build I usually had around 23-45 fps in a 5v5 server. My own game with minimal stuff I'd hit 40-80 fps. Looking forward to any improvements!

System:
    W7 64-bit RC
    ATI 5850 (stock)
    Intel i7 860 (stock)
    4GB RAM (stock)

1680x1050 with highest settings I can choose<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Looks like something got messed up during my update. I completely reinstalled and everything is working again. Sounds are back to how they should be. No freezing.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    Thanks for the video it would be great if you continue to do the updates in video style.

As mentioned before, you don't have to edit them that much imho.
    Also ... the music was really annoying, maybe tune it down a little, or use NS2 music instead.
  • emtegemteg Join Date: 2003-03-02 Member: 14207Members
    edited January 2011
    The video is great, i liked it a lot.
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->lower the music.
    use a tripod.
    that's all the professionalism you need.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agreed to that, also think about getting a microphone. This could maybe help to reduce the background noise. The combination of background noises plus music made i very hard to unserstand you guys at times.

You had some of the changes displayed as text on screen which is nice, but i think it could use some improvements :) First of all the text seems to be squeezed into the lower left corner of the image. The font type and color changes every few seconds for no reason and at least once the text is actually slightly off screen. ("Cory, Art Director, Jnknown Worlds"). Narrow font + red color is also very hard to read. Use a font that is more bold or add background color to the text.

I loved the first part where you described what changed and why and you added in-game visuals for that. I'd love to see in-game footage taken with some screen capturing software instead of you guys actually filming the screen.

About the game it self: this seems to be the first version that my laptop can actually run with a half decent frame rate. Great!!