Nvidia 8800GT SSC Artificating

KodaKoda Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75754Members
edited December 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
Hi, I can play NS2 on the fullest graphics settings with no lag or stuttering. However, after about 5-10 minutes my game has red lines going across the screen and the video card shuts off and I have to restart. This happens every single time I try to play the game. I have absolutely no problem with any other program or game. I am running the latest Nvidia drivers and I have tried playing on all of the graphics settings, even ridiculously awful! Any suggestions on what I should try next? Thanks.

Edit: Specs:
AMD X6 1055T @3.51GHz
Asus M4A89GTD Pro USB3
4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR3 @ 1066MHz

Comments

• ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    What other games are you playing with this card?
  • KodaKoda Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75754Members
    The games that I typically play often are Crysis, Black Ops, and Civilization 5.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Crash report file?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    Is the card overclocked?
    I wouldn't be surprised if an unoptimized game like NS2 is pushing the processing on the card to the point of artifacting.

Also... an 8800GT with an AMD 6-core? Time to upgrade your GFX, bro.
    I just ordered a GTX 570 myself.
    I didn't personally overclock the video card, but it comes stock clocked higher than most 8800GT's. And yes, my video card is ancient. I am trying to string it out as long as I can and so far this has been the only major problem I have encountered recently. Where do I find the crash report?
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    No need to upgrade your 8800, those cards run almost every game these days on max. The people who tell you to upgrade a nice card like that are the people who make console gamers think that PC gaming costs $1000 every year.

It's weird that NS would break your card so bad when other games don't. Try running the Crysis benchmark (it's in the Bin32 folder of your Crysis install, named Bnechmark_GPU.bat) for a while to make sure the card's fine.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1817111:date=Dec 19 2010, 12:18 AM:name=TychoCelchuuu)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TychoCelchuuu @ Dec 19 2010, 12:18 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817111"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>No need to upgrade your 8800, those cards run almost every game these days on max</b>. The people who tell you to upgrade a nice card like that are the people who make console gamers think that PC gaming costs $1000 every year.

It's weird that NS would break your card so bad when other games don't. Try running the Crysis benchmark (it's in the Bin32 folder of your Crysis install, named Bnechmark_GPU.bat) for a while to make sure the card's fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Quite true actually, imho console gaming has prevented game detail from going too far (because they develop games for consoles, and port them to PC afterwards in most cases) so a 8800GTX still works fine. I actually still have my XFX Geforce 8800GTX and i have no problem playing any games at all.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1817112:date=Dec 18 2010, 06:26 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 18 2010, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quite true actually, imho console gaming has prevented game detail from going too far (because they develop games for consoles, and port them to PC afterwards in most cases) so a 8800GTX still works fine. I actually still have my XFX Geforce 8800GTX and i have no problem playing any games at all.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Me too, although my old athlon x2 4000+ cpu surely brings a damper on my performance these days. The game runs very well on medium for me.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    I was having problems similar to this with my 8800GT, but it wasn't just with NS2, it was with every game. Ended up opening my computer up and taking out the GPU and RAM, dusting them out, and reseating them. That seemed to fix it -- probably not what's going on if it's only NS2, though.
    I think this is the correct log:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Date: 12/18/10
    Time: 01:32:26
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Build 159
    Starting Natural Selection 2
    RenderDevice: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT (8.17.12.5896)
    PrecacheAsset(nil): effect name isn't a string. - Client
    Error: Sound 'marine/voiceover/commander/sentry_taking_damage' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'marine/voiceover/commander/sentry_firing' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/ricochet' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'marine/structure/arc/deploy' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'alien/structures/shift/energize_target' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/door/fall' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/fall' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_left' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/footstep_right' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'alien/metabolize' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'marine/voiceovers/commander/soldier_lost' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'alien/skulk/bite_hit_electronic' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/scrape' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'materials/metal/scrape' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/scrape' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/ricochet' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Error: Sound 'marine/shotgun/alt-fire' couldn't be loaded (Event not found)
    Error: Sound 'materials/electronic/metal_scrape' couldn't be loaded (An invalid parameter was passed to this function. )
    Connecting to server 24.9.136.135:27015
    Client connected and authenticated on the server.
    Loading 'maps/ns2_rockdown.level'
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/robotics_factory/robotics_factory.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/prototype_module/prototype_module.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shift/shift.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/shade/shade.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/onos/onos_view.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/alien/cocoon/cocoon.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/heavy/heavy.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/minigun/minigun.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/minigun/minigun_view.model'
    Couldn't open file 'models/marine/jetpack/jetpack.model'
    Couldn't open file 'cinematics/marine/drifter/death.cinematic'
    GetFlashPlayer(nil): Error encountered - nil passed in as index - Client
    Direct3DDevice::Texture create/initialize failed [dds].
    Direct3DDevice::Texture create/initialize failed [dds].
    Direct3DDevice::Texture create/initialize failed [dds].<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Stuff missing and the errors are things that are not ingame yet or are buggy for everyone (code missing/not complete yet)
    edited December 2010
    I just ran the game and it crashed at 72°C so it doesn't appear to be overheating.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Crash report from windows, not from the game. You'll have a critical error just before the crash.
    <!--quoteo(post=1817146:date=Dec 18 2010, 06:15 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Dec 18 2010, 06:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817146"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crash report from windows, not from the game. You'll have a critical error just before the crash.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Where do I find the Windows crash log?
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    From the description it sounds like a classic overheat - lines followed by crash. Spark may be uniquely taxing your GPU, and the 72C reading might not be the maximum temperature on the PCB. Maybe try a furmark, or some other intensive benchmark, to see if you can reproduce it?
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1817151:date=Dec 19 2010, 03:07 AM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Dec 19 2010, 03:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817151"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From the description it sounds like a classic overheat - lines followed by crash. Spark may be uniquely taxing your GPU, and the 72C reading might not be the maximum temperature on the PCB. Maybe try a furmark, or some other intensive benchmark, to see if you can reproduce it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This. You are describing classic hardware failure likely due to overheating. Run furmark as NS2 said. I guarantee you'll find similar issues there. If your GPU is running at 72C at the time of crash, try checking the GPU temp while running a different game that doesn't make it crash. If you reach similar temps without crashing, then it's not your GPU that is failing, but likely your graphics memory or VRMs, neither of which typically have user checkable temp readings (except sometimes VRMs). Red lines sounds like graphics memory to me.

If you don't hit temps as high as 72C in other games, my best guess is your GPU heatsink is dusty and could use a good cleaning. If you know what you're doing, I'd also recommend removing your heatsink and cleaning/reapplying thermal paste to the GPU die. I had to do that to my HD4850 after a year and a half because the paste supplied actually dried up and was causing me to hit 100-105C in gaming. Likely not required, merely optional. A good dusting would likely be fine.
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    get rivatuner and underclock the gpu/memory on your 8800. if it fixes it, then you've got overheating - try using compressed air to dust out your card, make sure all your case fans are working, etc.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->after about 5-10 minutes my game has red lines going across the screen and the video card shuts off and I have to restart<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Same problem that i(8800ultra), some of my friends(1gtx 1 ultra) and hundreds of other 8800 nvidia card owners went trough(other games, same problem)... This is phase 1 of your gfx card dieing.

Soon you will get blackscreens and a driver failure(something like nvldmkm.exe was shut down and restarted), red pixel or lines all over your screen not only in gfx memory intense applications, and after some time your pc wont even start up anymore. Its a problem with the solderring joints(dont know the the exact name/how to describe it/ especially with my low English skills) on the gfx memory... You can lower the clockspeeds of the card, back to manufacturer if guarantee, or try the bake method(google).... look for a replacement in near future...

<u><b>This has nothing todo with ns2, and was not caused by it</b></u> - its a common problem with this gfx card series...

IF there are problems with guarantee(warranty? i dont know whats the right word :X), buy an evga card next time... :P (i guess your replacement card would be a gtx450, or if lucky a 460 @evga)
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1817112:date=Dec 18 2010, 05:26 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Dec 18 2010, 05:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817112"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Quite true actually, imho console gaming has prevented game detail from going too far (because they develop games for consoles, and port them to PC afterwards in most cases) so a 8800GTX still works fine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    He has an 8800GT, not a GTX or GTS, etc.
    Big difference.

8800GT was certainly an awesome deal years back, but it was the "value" performance card of it's time.
    Saying it can run "almost every game" maxed out is a terrible misnomer. Unless he's running at 1024x768, running any modern game on High-ish settings and even a pinch of AA will quickly bring the 8800GT to it's knees.
    But I guess I could let Koda vouch for this.

I don't think you guys realize what class of card the GT was.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    I had an 8800GT. I had to play Crysis on Medium settings at 1024 to make it playworthy.
    <!--quoteo(post=1817266:date=Dec 19 2010, 09:59 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Dec 19 2010, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1817266"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I had an 8800GT. I had to play Crysis on Medium settings at 1024 to make it playworthy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Crysis is kind of a bad example because it's such a beast on cards.
    Though nVidia's always did run it better than ATi's.
  • RawrawrawrawrRawrawrawrawr Join Date: 2010-12-19 Member: 75781Members
    edited December 2010
    I have an 8800GT. I have been playing lots of NS2 with no problems. However starting a few days ago I am getting the same problem. Red Lines Comp Crashes during playing. I thought it was not happening with other games at first but it eventually did. So must be the card.
    I dusted out my card with compressed air, to no avail. I took the side panel off of my case and used a fan to blow air directly onto the video card which also did not help. However, I down-clocked my card to the base model 8800GT settings and now it works perfectly.

With the exception of Crysis, I can play every game on full settings @ 1680x1050 less any AA/AF. As WhiteZero said, any decent amount of AA/AF will bring my card under 30FPS with most modern games, thus making it unplayable. It still works great when you're not playing a game to its complete max.
  • nervcorenervcore Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75291Members
    I've got the same card as u, but I've set my game setting to extremely low, just so that I can enjoy the game with decent fps. However I have still noticed that the gfx is just really not as smooth... sounds like I might need a pc upgrade soon =)