Spawn Protection!

DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
please add something like a Spawn protection, it is so difficult to build something, when the aliens start rushing the marine base. If they kill the marines or the portal the round goes like 30 seconds. you can shut the basedoors for 3 minutes so that the marine have time to build a defense or something. The other Problem is the Hydra spamming, please set a limit of 10 for hydras and sentry guns that this will be come fair in the future!!!

greetings

Comments

• AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    skulk rush is a valid tactic, and its not that hard to defend it the team plays together, if not, well they deserve to lose ;)

That beeing said, there are a few bugs currently that make skulk rushes easier. For example the spawn portal is not always built on the round start, that has been fixed.
    Also the late joiners had problems, from the changelog that has changed too, so that the marines should be at full force from the start.

For the hydra spam, i think the problem will go away when hydras cost more (they are a little cheap right now, or it is too easy to get the res) and when the marines can kill them more easely.

So don't worry :) the next patch should already be better, as it has been with every patch :)
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Spawn protection is horrible.

I remember trying to take out the AA, only to get killed by an invincible marine. Rage!
    Also favours end game turtling in base, which is extremely boring.

Scouting is spawn protection enough.
  • ShadowRageShadowRage Join Date: 2010-12-06 Member: 75516Members
    It should be harder to rush once we have bigger maps. Rockdown is just part of a map, and so it is easier to get to the other side of the map as a skulk.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    edited December 2010
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    If you're reading the twitter posts and progress page you would notice in the next build the marine weapons are becoming highly more accurate. This should help. A Skulk rush is very easy to hold back, you just need to know what your doing.

We're still seeing a lot of new people to the BETA so they in fact, don't really know what they are doing. Spawn protection is a horrible idea. It would disrupt the flow of the game. Also you will notice in the next patch the timer that allows more marines to instant join in the beginning of the match is being increased. This will solve the current problem.

Spawn protection would also prohibit Marines from leaving the spawn...there for allowing aliens to gain a strong foot hold on tech points and hive areas....BAD IDEA.
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The problem is that there is no countdown at the moment and latejoiners end up in the spawn queue. Don't need no ****ty spawn protection, just need planned features to be put in place.
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    Wait for a 12v12, with an initial 6 on each team, and the skulk rush will be no more.
    Well, as of the word of UWE, they optimized the weapons to be more accurate, so, you know, line up and shoot.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    i thought there was a thing with welding doors shut, keep skulk rush but get the commander to weld the door, it would make for some intense situations as you are guarding and waiting for weld to finish welding
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    lol I dunno. on very small servers, 1 fade will destroy your base by himself.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    Bad idea. If you get spawncamped, your team failed, try again with different strats. Spawnprotection just prolongs a game which is already over, imo.
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    The problem as I see it isnt so much the skulk rush as so the team selecting mechanisms , a skulk can be at marine start before the majority of the players have had chance to get into a team... so theres no defence ready.

If there was a timer to allow players to sort thier teams out before starting a game there would be less skulk rush insta wins and more fighting back , without taking out a valid tactic of rushing.
  • OPIEOPIE Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8343Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i thought there was a thing with welding doors shut, keep skulk rush but get the commander to weld the door, it would make for some intense situations as you are guarding and waiting for weld to finish welding<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's in the game but the commander has to select the door and press the lock button. I think they decided to go this route, it's easier and doesn't tie of the macs.

However there is always at least 1 open entrence into a marine base.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    No. Reasons have been stated by others.
  • DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
    Perhaps at the beginning the infantry portal should already been build? i think that would be enough but when i'm joining the game first i have to log in the cc and then build the IP. When there are some guys who rush, the round is over before it begun. No chance when you're alone.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    it is built, the only reason it is not is a bug that is fixed in 160
  • DeTeNaDeTeNa Join Date: 2010-12-18 Member: 75751Members
    oh okay then i think this will not be a problem anymore.
    btw do someone know when the next update will be done?
  • 1ERASER11ERASER1 Join Date: 2004-02-22 Member: 26778Members
    edited December 2010
    Spawn protection? As an old NS player a skulk rush is very valid and if the team wonders off and no teamwork involved. They deserve to loose.

Spawn protection on IP's I say YES, length = 3 seconds unless you move, which takes off the protection.

This will somewhat help when IP's are being camped but is not game ending and will not affect any valid alien tactics.

Regards,
    ERASER
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I think the bigger problem is that hive hp >> ip hp. Its just much easier for the kharaa to stop marines from spawning, making an ip rush (doesn't need to be skulks or at the beginning of the game) highly effective. This is essentially why you don't see any marine rushes in the beta. UWE might want to keep it that way (for the asymmetrical nature), but I still think they need to reduce the imbalance somewhat. It does no good for the playerbase to keep a tactic that allows a skill stacked team to repeatedly defeat and frustrate new players.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    Build 160 looks like it's going to solve this issue with better LMG aim, an IP always spawned at the start, and a countdown to start the game that allows people to join in and spawn before the game starts.
  • nervcorenervcore Join Date: 2010-11-26 Member: 75291Members
    indeed 160 is gonna boost the marines survivability by quite alot during the first few mins of the game, making it slightly harder for a lone skulk to take out the base...