MORE BLOOD AND GORE PLEASE

PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
edited December 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">=]</div>I think it would be more immersive and frantic. I think NS2 needs to be scary. Blood and guts would be nice for the art style of the game. Not a lot of it...just a little. Maybe pools of blood where a player died or something. Maybe it would be cool to see some intestines or other organs falling out sometimes if they were attacked in the stomach, or maybe some brain matter falling out. I don't know it would be different. Not many games have organ physics yet. What do you guys think? So please... Unknown Worlds, let us know if you are going to add in more blood and guts later on. Let us know your stance. Thanks.

<!--quoteo(post=1813663:date=Dec 5 2010, 04:30 PM:name=BarerRudeROC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BarerRudeROC @ Dec 5 2010, 04:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813663"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nothing screams atmosphere like entering a room where a group of your friends were.
Only to see them strewn across the room,
Blood on the walls,
Remains on the floor,
the tenebrous glowing of the red lights,
and that endless gnawing of paranoia on your conscience as you make your way through it,
knowing something was there.

+1 for gore.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Who agrees? Feedback? Comments? Discuss.

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They have commented a number of times that NS is not supposed to be a real gory game. That being said, I think these would be acceptable levels of blood/gore:

1) Blood decals on walls for marines/models (models would just have a couple of blood decals where hit)

2) Alien blood decals on walls/models (ie.. an onos comes back from a battle with a number of blood mark decals)

3) Alien chamber/death blood effects (just the standard stuff when buildings die)

That should be good. I always loved playing NS1 with mp_decals set to 4096 (max) so after long, big battles there was lots of bullet holes and alien/marine blood splashed all over the walls and floor. Really adds a lot to the game, but it doesn't need to get really gory or anything.
  • PersianImm0rtalPersianImm0rtal Join Date: 2010-12-02 Member: 75414Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester
    Not super blloody, just a decent amount you know
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Weird - I was thinking of making this topic yesterday.

I wanna see some alien blood left where aliens get shot (maybe it could be acidic like in the Alien movies, and the LFD2 Spitter)

Marine gore would be cool too but the rag doll needs to be fixed first.
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    I like the exploding player models with the gibs maxed out in my NS1 servers. Nothing brings more satisfaction of the kill than seeing bits of bones and meat at the kill site. I would probably say that this is very low on the priority list and most likely will be a third party server mod.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    I wouldn't be surprised if a mod like this popped up. Remember, the possibilities are endless.

I don't see gore or gratuitous amounts of blood & guts becoming part of the official build.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I would like to see a little bit more than what there currently is, but not much more. Enough to make a hit recognisable and satisfying, but not splattering the walls.

--Scythe--
    Anything to show that bullets/claws/teeth leave an impact is welcome.
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I fail to see how exaggerated amounts of blood and gore are immersive or scary. If anything it looks stupid.
    Clear hit indicators - whether it be sounds or graphics - are welcome though.
    edited December 2010
    Two 1m long fade claws power swipe a marine, at least an arm or a head should go flying XD

The current animation suggests the marine got punched really hard.
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813552:date=Dec 5 2010, 11:57 AM:name=peregrinus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (peregrinus @ Dec 5 2010, 11:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813552"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Two 1m long fade claws power swipe a marine, at least an arm or a head should go flying XD

The current animation suggests the marine got punched really hard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I was thinking the same thing. How awesome would dismemberment be? :P

Being a fade, a final swipe on a marine... his upper-half goes one way, lower goes another!
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I have to admit a degree of gore can make a game much cooler.

It's definitely about how you use it though, I was playing dark messiah recently and just the fact that you can kill enemies by swiping their head off in slow motion is pretty damn cool. Makes you feel badass when it happens.

Massive amounts of blood splatter and stuff is pretty meh, but good death reactions can really sell the idea that you're a badass space monster with giant claws and whatnot, or that you're a space marine with a beefy shotgun blowing up aliens, or that you just launched a grenade into a structure and bits of it went flying out of the door.
  • ZenoZeno Join Date: 2007-09-05 Member: 62183Members
    edited December 2010
    i don't agree with all the bloodlust in this thread.
    A hit indicator would be nice but it doesn't have to be blood. (On skulks maybe yes, but who in the hell needs to see marine blood as hit indicator?). Gore, gibs, and other bs is unnecessary and actually makes the game look stupid and bad (in terms of: media, showing the game to your friends, family etc). (-> L4D<u><b>2</b></u> looks like a cheap B-movie) And it brings you trouble in Germany and Australia.
    There is nothing scary or immersive about seeing someones intestines dragging across the room, it's just stupid.

<!--quoteo(post=1813504:date=Dec 5 2010, 08:05 AM:name=PersianImm0rtal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PersianImm0rtal @ Dec 5 2010, 08:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813504"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not a lot of it...[...] it would be cool to see some intestines or other organs falling out sometimes if they were attacked in the stomach, or maybe some brain matter falling out.
    What do you guys think?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think you should visit a psychiatrist asap.
  • BloodhouseBloodhouse Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72369Members
    +1 for gore definately.
    Like the dynamic infestation it can only add to a visceral environment
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    I'm up for gore.

I know it's frowned upon these days because it's turning our children into mindless killers, but I feel the right amount of gore would definitely be appropriate in NS2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1813559:date=Dec 5 2010, 12:31 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 5 2010, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(-> L4D<u><b>2</b></u> looks like a cheap B-movie)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's supposed to, because it's based on them.
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1813559:date=Dec 5 2010, 12:31 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 5 2010, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i don't agree with all the bloodlust in this thread.
    A hit indicator would be nice but it doesn't have to be blood. (On skulks maybe yes, but who in the hell needs to see marine blood as hit indicator?). Gore, gibs, and other bs is unnecessary and actually makes the game look stupid and bad (in terms of: media, showing the game to your friends, family etc). (-> L4D<u><b>2</b></u> looks like a cheap B-movie) And it brings you trouble in Germany and Australia.
    There is nothing scary or immersive about seeing someones intestines dragging across the room, it's just stupid.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You have to remember NS1 had a minor amount of blood decals (And you could disable it).

I'm all for anything that makes damage a bit more.. gorey. Sure, not fountains of fluorescent red blood jetting several feet in the air, but splatters, puffs, even the odd dismemberment or exploding body. Dare say realistic. Also Left4Dead 2, yes it was MEANT to look like a cheezy B grade movie, that was its point. Game was designed to feel and play like a typical horror zombie movie.

I personally find gore, both real and digital rather.. gross and it does make me squeemish. I'm a wuss like that, but I do like it in games because it does that. Scary games scare me, thus I enjoy playing them.

I'm not fussed, seeing gore doesn't make a game for me, it's cosmetic polish. If it is added, it should be an optional to cater for both sides.

<!--quoteo(post=1813559:date=Dec 5 2010, 12:31 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 5 2010, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think you should visit a psychiatrist asap.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If that's the case, every person who enjoys playing games where death is involved, more-so with space creatures should see them too right?
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->(-> L4D2 looks like a cheap B-movie)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh dear, haha. I hope he was not being serious.

Anyhoo, personally I think aliens should 'pop'... not bothered about marines. Killing one feels fairly satisfying at the moment.

I think there are rules and regs regarding classification. But I don't know if that would actually effect things or not if it was just the aliens - they are not human.
    Like I said it's about how you use it, gore doesn't just mean 'put lots of blood particles in and make everything red' any more than lighting means 'make everything covered in neon strobe lights'.

There are different kinds of gore, you can go the left4dead route if you want to make a game that is kind of silly, and it works, as it does in L4D and fallout, or you can go a more serious route.

But either way you do need feasible effects for when your guns hit things, in an FPS you want to feel like you have powerful guns, so you give them beefy sounds and models and animations and make them blow things up and make sparks fly off the walls when you shoot and make cool looking decals and it's awesome.

If you then turn to an alien and shoot it and it just falls over, that's kind of stupid, because your gun isn't a gun, it's a disney movie plot device.

If your gun is cool it should cause cool effects like you'd see in an action film, shotguns should make people fly ten feet backwards, machineguns make people have a seizure and then fall over when you stop shooting, explosions blow chunks of rubble and bits of alien across the room, claws go through people and out the other side and then the alien flings them across the room. Giant fan blades and automated doors need to chop off the arm or leg of the stupid character who didn't get out of the way in time. Stuff you see in a movie, stuff that makes you think 'holy crap that thing is actually dangerous' when you see it.

It's rather silly to just say 'oh no we can't have any of that because gore is bad'. A degree of gore is neccesary in order to make the game at all believable, if you're going to have people running around with explosives and giant claws and massive gorilla aliens and whatnot, they need to have a believable impact on the environment, and players are just as much a part of the game environment as the walls and doors and structures.
  • gotmuffgotmuff Join Date: 2009-07-27 Member: 68276Members
    I reckon add bullet holes, bite marks and blood splatters onto ground/walls (like NS1) like people have already stated

AND

Also have bullet holes/bite marks/blood splatters on the player models themselves, like in Half-Life 2 where blood coats the attacked model in the affected area, and you can see the bullet hole added simply as a texture where-ever hit (not bump-mapped).
    Remember that NS2 doesn't have a lot of combat compared with LFD2 etc. In LFD2 you're practically shooting zombies the whole time.

NS2 is, and hopefully will become more so, about suspense and short quick battles. What that means is unless the gore is completely over the top, floor to ceiling guts and rivers of blood, it shouldn't feel exaggerated because you don't see lots of kills.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1813559:date=Dec 5 2010, 02:31 PM:name=Zeno)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zeno @ Dec 5 2010, 02:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813559"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And it brings you trouble in Germany and Australia.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fellow German here. As long as UWE is not sending NS2 in to the authorities, no rating. This defaults to 18+ / Adults only.
  • GregWildGregWild Join Date: 2010-04-16 Member: 71425Members
    I'm indifferent towards detailed gore, but I think the game really, really needs more feedback when you actually hit something. It's quite frustrating, particularly as a Marine, being unsure if you've hit your mark. A little splash of colour could go a long way there.
  • ownosownos Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75124Members
    +1 blood n' gore

MOAR PLX!
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Okay gore in general is bad, but I do have to say I wouldn't mind seeing some in NS2. However it would probably <i>never </i>be dismemberment or making parts of the body disappear, since playing alien in that case would just be disturbing, especially in first-person view :S

But the game needs some blood, and I really hope a patch soon will address the lack of hit-confirmations. You play a Lerk and you barely see the spikes or hits on a marine, and gunshots cannot make dents or sparks on the map itself, only other entities. I think once you can see a sparks of your misfired LMG trying to hit that skulk moving toward you will hopefully make the weapon not feel as ineffective (you can't even tell if there are bullets going through the air at all!) which I think is an issue that should not take all that much time to implement (at least a decent placeholder-effect that doesn't take all the material into account) but will add a lot to the game.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Well, a few blood splatters here and there and maybe blood on walls when hit would be fine but <b>please</b> no dismemberement and such things. NS2 should stand out by it's gameplay and that should be enough. If you want physical correct dismemberment go play God of War (which are good games!) but NS2 isn't the place for this /imho
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    While I <3 gore; I never really noticed in NS1 (haven't really played the alpha/beta enough to notice in NS2) that there wasn't any blood, it was just what it was, and the gameplay was immersive enough without it.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    While I also approve of more gore, I'd want them to concentrate on making the game better, and do all the small pretty things later.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
  • ZurikiZuriki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75105Members
    Whilst I don't really have a strong opinion either way, blood decals on surfaces wouldn't go amiss, in addition to some bullet-holes/dents too.
  • BAshhBAshh Join Date: 2003-08-26 Member: 20222Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1813614:date=Dec 5 2010, 12:50 PM:name=Zuriki)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zuriki @ Dec 5 2010, 12:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1813614"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[..] in addition to some bullet-holes/dents too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This added with sprites that show hit registration are the only things I truly miss right now, and feel like the game is lacking without. That and muzzle flashes.