Authentication

Racer1Racer1 Join Date: 2002-11-22 Member: 9615Members
What is it doing that takes so long?

If it is just making sure the NS key is valid, that should take a second or less.
If it is comparing client files with server files, that would take longer.

P.S. Yes I know this is alpha and it isn't optimized yet.

Comments

• HeavenfallHeavenfall Join Date: 2010-08-14 Member: 73620Members
    I've had authentication fail when I was running a different patch than the server. So that is a fair assumption.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I guess the client is creating checksums while loading during connecting, thats why it takes so long.
  • DihardDihard Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10365Members, Constellation
    It seems to me that most of the loading is taking place during this step.
  • SinKingSinKing Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67620Members
    A few weeks ago I could connect to the gameservers. Not saying there was much traffic there, but at least I could log on. I downloaded the latest patch today (Steam did) and afterwards every single server replies: "Athentication Failed". How and why does that happen now and is there a solution? I tried the low ping servers, btw. On another, high pinged server I tried it would just reply with "Athentication Timeout".
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think I have found a bug whereby if you keep refreshing the server list, not only does the list go blank after a few refreshes, but you can't seem to connect to any of them.

This rarely happens, because authentication/load for me is very fast.

Anyone else getting this?
  • Delta1Delta1 Join Date: 2009-08-01 Member: 68326Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah same thing with me.

NS2 didnt update to 156 so re-installed to get the update. Now Gets stuck on Authentication, times out or i get a black screen >.>

Bah cant even create own server to have some fun in cheat mode...
  • gage_czgage_cz Join Date: 2010-01-23 Member: 70271Members
    Today I deleted NS2 local files trough Steam uninstall and I downloaded NS2 again (for some reason, I told myself, it is good to reinstall game when it is often patched/updated - it helped me with other Steam games)

Now I have the same problem, like you guys.
    I got "<u><b>Authentication Failed</b></u>" or "<u><b>Athentication Timeout</b></u>" when I try to connect on servers.

This problem needs a solution, FAST.

Thx for any ideas.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Seems like a global problem with Steam, its popping up on alot of forums regarding alot of different Steam-linked games..
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Yeh mine has just died, Litteraly just now after working for the past 2+ weeks, I get Auth Timeout even to my self on a local game, looks like steam has gone foo bar:

<a href="http://store.steampowered.com/stats/" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/stats/</a> - Olmy just pointed out to me a big drop in usage, look at the line graph
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1812061:date=Nov 30 2010, 10:03 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Nov 30 2010, 10:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1812061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeh mine has just died, Litteraly just now after working for the past 2+ weeks, I get Auth Timeout even to my self on a local game, looks like steam has gone foo bar:

<a href="http://store.steampowered.com/stats/" target="_blank">http://store.steampowered.com/stats/</a> - Olmy just pointed out to me a big drop in usage, look at the line graph<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It seems to be rising now tho, so hopefully that means they're on top of the problem by now.

EDIT : It seems to work if you delete the "ClientRegistry.blob" file in the steam-folder!