Marine sentries

Jiggly001Jiggly001 Join Date: 2010-11-28 Member: 75320Members
<div class="IPBDescription">choose a direction?</div>Was recently playing the beta with a friend and noticed I could not change which way the sentries faced once built or even choose what direction I wanted them facing prior to being built. Some sentries I placed were in perfect positions and others were facing the opposite way I wanted. Is this intended? and if so, is the direction of the placed sentry effected by where you physically place it on the map. At the time it seemed random and frustrating since I remember in ns1, you placed a sentry and it covered a 360 degree radius.

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    You can change them once built, select the sentry, select the leftmost icon, then click a location, it will very slowly turn to face the direction.

But yes, they do need to be orientable beforehand. The idea is supposed to be that they're more powerful but directional.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Imho you should be able to turn the turret around on creation by holding down the mousebutton and turn, instead of a direct click.
    I think the company of heroes method works best, you click once to place, then move the mouse to the location you want it to aim at and it adjusts the overlay and model to show the field of fire, then you click again to finalise the placement.

Easy to use and quite intutive, also accurate.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    As far as placement goes - you need two click placement. First for location, second for direction. On one server I played on they seemed to take 3 minutes to turn around, and tend to be destroyed before they even make it round.

I am hoping they will be more like the sentry guns from Alien. Two set up in a corridor, and maybe only a fade can get past (if it can blink quickly enough) or an Onos can break through. It is much more important for marines to protect their assets than aliens, who take much less of a risk of expanding quickly over as much as the map as possible.

Or you could set up a mini relocation that is easily covered by two of them early game.

It would be really cool to see them at a very high R.O.F (their characters is just nothing like a minigun at the moment) but very low damage. So even if 3 skulks attacked, they not only get some shock and awe muzzle flash, but they will also be chewed up very quickly.

They are implementing a spin up time as well, so would only be useful in long corridors anyway.

Those are my thoughts.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1811458:date=Nov 28 2010, 10:47 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 28 2010, 10:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811458"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Imho you should be able to turn the turret around on creation by holding down the mousebutton and turn, instead of a direct click.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Seconded.

--Scythe--
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    They also need to remake the model in order to make it even logical for it to be able to turn in the first place. Looks so weird when it just... inch its way around when they're clearly not manufactured to even be able to do that.
    <!--quoteo(post=1811464:date=Nov 28 2010, 12:57 PM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Nov 28 2010, 12:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811464"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They also need to remake the model in order to make it even logical for it to be able to turn in the first place. Looks so weird when it just... inch its way around when they're clearly not manufactured to even be able to do that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have a MAC go up to it and turn it.

Although for gameplay purposes I'd say it's fine as is, hell you could probably just add a wheel to the back to spin it round.
  • SwampRatSwampRat Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13369Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811461:date=Nov 28 2010, 07:53 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 28 2010, 07:53 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811461"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->...

I am hoping they will be more like the sentry guns from Alien. Two set up in a corridor, and maybe only a fade can get past (if it can blink quickly enough) or an Onos can break through. It is much more important for marines to protect their assets than aliens, who take much less of a risk of expanding quickly over as much as the map as possible.

Or you could set up a mini relocation that is easily covered by two of them early game.

It would be really cool to see them at a very high R.O.F (their characters is just nothing like a minigun at the moment) but very low damage. So even if 3 skulks attacked, they not only get some shock and awe muzzle flash, but they will also be chewed up very quickly.

They are implementing a spin up time as well, so would only be useful in long corridors anyway.

Those are my thoughts.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

On the aliens theme, what would you think about having an ammo limit for each sentry (a high one, esp. if they're minigun like)? So they're very powerful but you can't just box off the corridor to skulks indefinitely without sending a marine/MAC out to resupply the guns. If they're not powerful and skulks can usually get past and chew them (e.g. via vents / behind boxes etc) then that would just be an annoyance, but if they do deny the corridor (or a room, e.g. if you have one in each corner, covering each other and with no space behind them in their blind spots) then leaping around to try and distract them / make them fire without dying could have a use.
    <!--quoteo(post=1811469:date=Nov 28 2010, 02:28 PM:name=SwampRat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SwampRat @ Nov 28 2010, 02:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811469"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->On the aliens theme, what would you think about having an ammo limit for each sentry (a high one, esp. if they're minigun like)? So they're very powerful but you can't just box off the corridor to skulks indefinitely without sending a marine/MAC out to resupply the guns. If they're not powerful and skulks can usually get past and chew them (e.g. via vents / behind boxes etc) then that would just be an annoyance, but if they do deny the corridor (or a room, e.g. if you have one in each corner, covering each other and with no space behind them in their blind spots) then leaping around to try and distract them / make them fire without dying could have a use.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, its just useless micromanaging having to restock all the turrets that will be spread all over the map, especially in bigger maps that might get introduced in the future.
    <!--quoteo(post=1811471:date=Nov 28 2010, 01:32 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 28 2010, 01:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811471"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No, its just useless micromanaging having to restock all the turrets that will be spread all over the map, especially in bigger maps that might get introduced in the future.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

If you do anything, make it so that after they have been positioned they can not be repositioned. But make positioning them much more intuitive obviously.
  • HoAxHoAx Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26347Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811459:date=Nov 28 2010, 07:49 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 28 2010, 07:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the company of heroes method works best, you click once to place, then move the mouse to the location you want it to aim at and it adjusts the overlay and model to show the field of fire, then you click again to finalise the placement.

Easy to use and quite intutive, also accurate.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I think they really need to be able to set angle on placement, altough i dunno which one of click, angle, click, and click, angle, release is the best way to do it.

Also, I agree they turn way to slow and oddly, maybe only let the top-piece turn, and way faster (same speed it "scans" the area infront of it atm).
    Or make macs/marines have to turn them, so that a marine can use it, and then angle it as long as he looks somewhat at the sentry (so if he want a 180 degree turn he have to move around it aswell). This could just be an annoyance though (comm have to either order marines to turn all the sentrys, or have a mac doing it for him).
    <!--quoteo(post=1811499:date=Nov 28 2010, 05:03 PM:name=Feha)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Feha @ Nov 28 2010, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think they really need to be able to set angle on placement, altough i dunno which one of click, angle, click, and click, angle, release is the best way to do it.

Also, I agree they turn way to slow and oddly, maybe only let the top-piece turn, and way faster (same speed it "scans" the area infront of it atm).
    Or make macs/marines have to turn them, so that a marine can use it, and then angle it as long as he looks somewhat at the sentry (so if he want a 180 degree turn he have to move around it aswell). This could just be an annoyance though (comm have to either order marines to turn all the sentrys, or have a mac doing it for him).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Though having marines turning the turrets around would promote comm<>marine communication.
  • GeneralBowserGeneralBowser Join Date: 2010-05-19 Member: 71801Members
    I also noticed its not really clear sometimes what direction they face. When you select them you should see the angle they are supposed to shoot at..
    <!--quoteo(post=1811519:date=Nov 28 2010, 06:16 PM:name=GeneralBowser)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GeneralBowser @ Nov 28 2010, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811519"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also noticed its not really clear sometimes what direction they face. When you select them you should see the angle they are supposed to shoot at..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, you should see a cone representing the arc of the turrets vision when placing/rotating the turret.
    <!--quoteo(post=1811503:date=Nov 28 2010, 04:09 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 28 2010, 04:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though having marines turning the turrets around would promote comm<>marine communication.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would be even more genius if you could easily tell them which direction to move it to as comm.
  • AvalonAvalon Join Date: 2007-03-04 Member: 60224Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811523:date=Nov 28 2010, 05:22 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 28 2010, 05:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That would be even more genius if you could easily tell them which direction to move it to as comm.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Clockwise? :P
  • vaeshvaesh Join Date: 2010-11-28 Member: 75326Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1811503:date=Nov 28 2010, 05:09 PM:name=Twiggeh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Twiggeh @ Nov 28 2010, 05:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Though having marines turning the turrets around would promote comm<>marine communication.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Except that idea is completely ridiculous. Ability to rotate the turret on placement is clearly the ideal solution. Devs, let's get it done!
  • PistachioPistachio Join Date: 2005-05-26 Member: 52481Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1811573:date=Nov 28 2010, 05:04 PM:name=vaesh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (vaesh @ Nov 28 2010, 05:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1811573"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Except that idea is completely ridiculous. Ability to rotate the turret on placement is clearly the ideal solution. Devs, let's get it done!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I can't imagine this isn't on the dev's radar. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before we see a new deployment method for the turrets that will give comms flexibility over how they're facing.

But it might not be a bad idea to give marines the ability to turn the turrets, too. It shouldn't be required, but things get overlooked and it's nice when a man on the ground can remedy those small problems without having to make a big thing of it.
  • TheCaptainTheCaptain Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10390Members
    The easiest hack is giving the sentry the direction of the builder. It's not pretty, but it works well enough. Until we get right click drag like in company of heroes, or something similar, I'd suggest this.
    The main advantages of the click angle click method is that you immediately show a new player how to orient them, and it also allows more precision by just moving the cursor further away from the placement point.