vanilla vs mods

project_demonproject_demon Join Date: 2003-07-12 Member: 18103Members
edited November 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
<div class="IPBDescription">how will mods be handled?</div>Seeing as some servers are already implementiing changes of their own i was wondering how this will be handled by UWE. How will you make sure that players are aware of being in a moded server? Also is it wise to allow such ease in modability? Won't this split the community?

I fear that new players will be confused if they were to join a moded server for their first NS game. And who knows how that can turn out...

The bottom line is, how do you make sure that the player is playing the game that you have put a lot of hard work and time in and not some modded stuff that might or might not be good?

Comments

• MuhownageMuhownage Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75017Members
    edited November 2010
    imo it should be like: that all mods need to be displayed in an own "mods column" of the server browser..
    for new players i think a messagebox would be helpful:
    "This is a modded Server. Experience can be changed from a non moded server"
    [ ] show this message again
    [connect] [cancel]
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    The server browser will show if it's vanilla or modded.
    But for that to happen we need to wait, there are more important things to be done before they get into that.

This was already said before.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    Deffo should be waiting untill proper support for it is implimented. There was Fear of this happening but was a case of "when" versus "when proper support for modding NS2 will could be worked on" and it is a huge problem for the team when values start getting modified on public servers thus impacting on user feedback that needs to be accurate at this point of deveopment in a beta.
    There will be so much false feedback from it as a result and would only confuse matters.

Please refraim for a short while longer from hosting modified servers. Thanks.
    A thing server operators could (imperative must) do is name the server MOD - Servername. This way you know if that server have a mod and you chose to join or not, and then you help UWE.
  • TheCaptainTheCaptain Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10390Members
    edited November 2010
    Thanks for the response Sgt. Barlow.

I think mods should be displayed to the user as tooltips, via chat text, in the server browser.

It's a bit of a thorny problem, since servers can change files in the lua directory without actually running a 'mod'. This suggests that the exe will need a hash of the original lua files so it can figure out if the server is vanilla or not, or simply require that servers not run modded code in the lua directory, and only in separate "-game x" folders. With so many other things to work on, I don't know how soon something like that will be implemented.

In the meantime, I'll keep from posting mods publicly or hosting it on a public server until there's a solution.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1810081:date=Nov 25 2010, 01:37 AM:name=PaiSand)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PaiSand @ Nov 25 2010, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810081"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A thing server operators could (imperative must) do is name the server MOD - Servername. This way you know if that server have a mod and you chose to join or not, and then you help UWE.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please refraim for a short while longer from hosting modified servers. Thanks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

is a clear message. Eventually there will be support for custom servers in the server browser so we'll just have to wait.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    they should implement it NOW
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    Imho the actual browser would just need a simple flag icon to show if any modded files are present on the server, and make server-MOTDs show in a tooltip when hovering over the server, and also while connecting to it (as a loadingscreen).

This way, people cant really miss if a server is modded, and later on when search filters go live, you can choose to filter modded servers.
    MEGA LOL!!!
    You know nothing about programming, right?
    I don't see the need for it right now. What servers must have is start the name with MOD if it's running a mod. More simple than that impossible.
    Why the Devs will start doing this right now when there are a lot more important things to be added/fixed???
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    edited November 2010
    We already run a modified server. I don't believe we're changed the server name though... but I will tonight put in [mod] ...
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1810218:date=Nov 25 2010, 03:14 PM:name=scorpydude)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (scorpydude @ Nov 25 2010, 03:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We already run a modified server. I don't believe we're changed the server name though... but I will tonight put in [mod] ...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So your modified server is staying up? Rad, what's the servername.

<b>EDIT:</b>is it 12p aust RADA SUCKS?
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So your modified server is staying up?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AFAIK all servers are crashing ... eventually. Most servers OPS i've spoken two have configured their servers (just as I have) to automatically restart when they crash etc.

---

We are rolling back to vanilla, the boys don't want UWE to freak out and pull the plug on mods. They seam to think if we continue UWE will patch in a lock to disable mods until they are happy to have them running. We rather have our server able to be modded for LANs etc and not run a modded server on the net then lose the ability all together.
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    Considering the request a few posts above, I was generally suprised that you were keeping your modded server up and just renaming it.
    Good to hear you're doing the right thing, that's one less modified server on the list.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    Yeah, the servers really need to be marked as moded, so that i can stay away from them (except the balanced GL and flamethrower for the moment)
    Don't get it wrong, you can have a modded server up. Just name it with MOD at the start so people know about.
    It could be helpful to find problems on that end but make sure that players on your server know where to inform of problems found on your modded server and then you can look at it and see if it's your mod or a game problem.
  • OnionknightOnionknight Join Date: 2010-03-28 Member: 71103Members
    I hope someone remakes the combat mod plz from NS1.
  • alephaleph Join Date: 2007-10-12 Member: 62620Members
    same thing happened to NS1

towards the end of public server NS popularity it was the braindead siege maps that attracted many people, and the WORST kind. one could say they actually kept players who would've otherwise left, but there were always classic mode servers around and they often competed for the same players, most of whom went to siege/easy-mode/retard mods as a secondary choice of least resistance.

the UWE team's response to this teachable lesson is to flaunt a more easily editable game with the LUA and a wysiwig mapping system to ensure massive amounts of retardo mods are produced in tandem with the game's release. so if the game even gets off the ground in the first place, it's going to have to compete in the fractured world of endless permutations of custom games which, though sometimes fun, by rule alter, simplify, or negate the rules of the classic game. NS1's public lifecycle demonstrated the way custom games fracture players into sects and players who prefer one mode exclusively. imagine if NS1 was as heavily modded -- vugroo's aside -- in the beginning of its life. it's reasonable to doubt that it would've attracted a dedicated enough playerbase in the first place to support the fracturing of that base that the custom minigames incurred.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Mods can be quiet a danger to a game, UT2004 kinda died because there were like 8 different "eSports" mods around and nobody was able to bring them all together.
    I think what modders should keep in mind that every mod "fractures" the community into "like" and "dislike". Therefore (talking about post-release) if you are going to write a mod please consider this. Think about questions like "Is there a similar mod?", "Couldn't my idea just be integrated into another mod?", "Counldn't my mod be integrated into vanilla NS2?. If there are too many gamplay chaning mods out there it will only hurt the community.
    Of course there will be mods out there and this is surely a good thing but especially leagues and ladders will have to agree on which mods to use so that the competetive community isn't split up between the respective rulesets.

PS: Play vanilla in the first place, as long as it is not broken ;)