Get Grenades, Profit.

SatireSatire Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75016Members
edited November 2010 in NS2 General Discussion
So it would seem the only thing that the Marines need to do to win is to grab that second expo (the hardest part) and then tech to grenades.

Once grenades have been acquired you just create a wall of victory killing anything and everything in its path. I believe that there is a very easy way to overcome this issue... Make the damage hurt the marines too. That way, you don't just spam them because if you do that you'll kill yourself and your entire team(And hence getting abused by your team, stopping such behavior).

Good idea? I think so.

p.s Having a blast with 156 despite the lag when the game goes on for awhile (Is this a problem for everyone?), keep up the great work UWE.

Comments

• w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I've nerfed both Flamethrower damage and Grenade damage as well as grenade damage radius on the ArmoryChamber servers, you might want to try it out.
  • SatireSatire Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75016Members
    I'm in New Zealand, might be a bit of an issue... ; D
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i hope it is labeled as such, so that everybody knows that we are playing a mod and not the original.

Because we are in beta testing, testing the original is important, and knowing that the server runs a mod is even more.

NS2 shows in the server browser if the server runs a mod, not?
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    Frankly I always thought that friendlyfire should be forced on... atleast in the stock distribution. Any game that has area of effect attacks like grenades should have it. You should have to consider their use beyond "spam everything to hell".

I enjoyed NS far more with FF servers, too.
  • w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1809805:date=Nov 24 2010, 04:31 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Nov 24 2010, 04:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809805"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->i hope it is labeled as such, so that everybody knows that we are playing a mod and not the original.

Because we are in beta testing, testing the original is important, and knowing that the server runs a mod is even more.

NS2 shows in the server browser if the server runs a mod, not?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No it doesnt, however the problems with the overpowered flamethrower and grenade launcher are so obvious and apparent that I dont believe its such a big deal to make a quick fix to the server in order for players to have a better gameplay until the next patch.

Of course its a different story when running something like <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/forums/index.php?showtopic=111604" target="_blank">this</a>
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    sure, right now it is not such a big problem, but i see it becoming one later on. I usually only play vanilla and really don't want to join non vanilla servers, if i can't see that in the server browser, then thats a problem.

Anyway, thanks for the hotfix in balance :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1809819:date=Nov 24 2010, 05:12 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Nov 24 2010, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809819"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->sure, right now it is not such a big problem, but i see it becoming one later on. I usually only play vanilla and really don't want to join non vanilla servers, if i can't see that in the server browser, then thats a problem.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh definately. Im all for seeing if a server has been customized, like in TF2 for example.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    the vanilla tag is a planned feature if I understood it right, but doesnt exist yet.

However, I think server owners modding stuff should include [mod] or [modded] in the server name.
    Altough when it is just about balancing (changing attack range/dmg, or edit values in balance.lua), the tag [balanced] would fit better.
    I played a game on the server. THe games get now reeeally long. Because now the marines don't have a easy way to kill all buildings, nor do the aliens.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ha! I was wondering why they were doing no damage w0dka... you have lowered it too far though. I have stood in front of fades/lerks flaming them for a few seconds and they can still get away easily to regen.

Also, if the hives have whips/crags and a few aliens coming out of them now, they are impossible to take down. The basically means they can attack your base really easily whilst you are concentrating on taking down defence.
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    I played on your server last night and had to wonder what was going on. I assumed someone changed the LUA files, even though there was nothing in the server name to indicate a change. I think your "balance" was too drastic though, since it does affect the damage dealt to buildings. The only reasonable weapons were the shotgun and pistol, since a grenade only took away 1% of a hive's life versus 3-5% with a single shotgun blast.

So it basically meant stalemate until the aliens wake up, charge and hydra spam your main base.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    This is bad, Will have to give Charlie a heads up warning towards feedback. I think I realise I was on such a server wondering wtf was going on.
    This is going to lead to conflicting feedback from many users that will only confuse the jeepers out of Charlie when listening to community feedback on balance, unfortunatly that would lead to a lesser dependance on community feedback because the data would be deemed unreliable comming from users who dont realise they have been on a modified server. :(

Sorry but I do think modding a server like that is counter productive when we are supposed to be listening to your lot for your thoughts on such matters.
    Even if you flag it modded people will still miss that and end up with an incorrect opinion to share.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809898:date=Nov 24 2010, 08:01 PM:name=SgtBarlow)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SgtBarlow @ Nov 24 2010, 08:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809898"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->stuff<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Absolutely agree. They should lock the files for now so that they get consistent feedback on THEIR build, and not some random mod.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    I'd say have damage reversal rather than ff on. That way any 'damage' done by the gl or ft to friendly units would instead be applied to you. It prevents ff griefing, while still ensuring that people are careful using gl/ft.
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    We want people to mod the game just not tweek actualy gamplay attributes of NS2 its self during beta testing.
    MOD support and support for being able to define clearly if the server is vanilla or not will come soon, They know its needs doing ASAP so hopefully might make it a priority within a week or two or things could get quite icky.
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    wait for DI, this will push aliens SO hard... you cant see em while they are in it, they are moving faster, maybe they get a slightly increased healing rate... WHAT so ever, DI solves it all, just chill and wait 8)
    Alright then, Im reverting any changes because obviously we still need to test more that GL and FT are overpowered...
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1810033:date=Nov 24 2010, 03:54 PM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Nov 24 2010, 03:54 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1810033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Alright then, Im reverting any changes because obviously we still need to test more that GL and FT are overpowered...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Just make sure it says MODDED in the server title and there is no problem
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1809803:date=Nov 24 2010, 11:28 AM:name=w0dk4)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (w0dk4 @ Nov 24 2010, 11:28 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809803"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've nerfed both Flamethrower damage and Grenade damage as well as grenade damage radius on the ArmoryChamber servers, you might want to try it out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Makes mental note. Not going to play there :)
  • scorpydudescorpydude Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43603Members
    Well you wouldn't like our server then ;) We've started work on few little things here and there... including making the ye'old electrified resource node when you research the res node upgrade etc.