Fade Blink - tweaks

schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Beta</div>So i've been blinking around with the fade for a good 30 minutes with some bots. pretty fun :)

Some ideas to make it better:

1.Make the fade hologram see through, and slightly smaller.

2.Get rid of the "facing points of interest" thing, and replace it with "face away from wall" so that when ever you blink into a wall, you are facing away from it rather than towards.
the facing points of interest automatically is really hard to use quickly, and makes you potentially blink around in circles.

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think sounds effects could reflect the distance of the blink. Right now you've got very little idea on how the blink went until you visually locate yourself again, which is pretty slow and using only one of the inputs the game allows.

So, my suggestions:

- The sound effect should vary between the distance of the blink. For example a short high pitched blink sound would indicate a short distance blink, while a longer low pitch noise would signal a longer distance travelled.

- On a longer blink, there might be a slight bit of delay between the moments you disappear and reappear. That's another way of giving it 'feel' instead of just teleport-identify location-teleport routine.

One pretty neat thingy might be teleporting fade first and then playing the teleport sound on the starting point of the teleport. That way the fade could basically hear his starting location in relation with the present location. Yet another way of communicating how the blink went.

I don't particularly like any kind of automatic view reorientation, but I'm not going to comment on that until I get to try it properly.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Yeah I agree with the 'facing' thing.

It does come in handy - perhaps if you hold alt or something it faces to a POI, but without it you just face forward? Or maybe have the POI kick in after a second or two.

Otherwise it prevents you jumping to a certain point to get ahead etc instead of walking.

I would like to be able to though jump behind a marine still etc.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1806873:date=Nov 20 2010, 01:43 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Nov 20 2010, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806873"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I agree with the 'facing' thing.

It does come in handy - perhaps if you hold alt or something it faces to a POI, but without it you just face forward? Or maybe have the POI kick in after a second or two.

Otherwise it prevents you jumping to a certain point to get ahead etc instead of walking.

I would like to be able to though jump behind a marine still etc.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    ahh great idea :)
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Not sure about the alt idea :(

Maybe this could work - when you depress the RMB to teleport, if you keep it held down instead of a quick click, you face the nearest enemy... No extra key.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Probably the POI facing should have its range reduced. If you blink and there's nothing in easy grasp, you shouldn't be swiveled around. This is extra problematic for when there's a MArine on the other side of a wall so you blink down the corridor and end up facing a wall going "huh?"
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    I would suggest not having a seethrough fade at all at the destination but instead having a slightly modified blink effect at the end destination. Maybe have the effect funnel down towards the spot you're going to stand on after blinking, sort of like a twister but with the blink effects appearance.

I would suggest the same for the gorge and the hydras too, I think it would make more sense to have him hurl a glowing yellow/green loogie like in the orginial gorge concept, that would stick on surfaces but disappears after a short while unless primary fire is pressed again while aimed at the loogie, spraying it with the hydra seeds, draining plasma and causing the hydra to start growing only then. The loogie would be about the same size as the hydra when first planted. So the loogie is the fertilizer, and the spray afterwards deposits seedlings of whatever is going to grow in the loogie, thus opening up the possibility for the gorge to plant more than one structure type. The loogie doesn't drain plasma but to avoid spamming each gorge would be limited to a certain number of loogies in the world at any one time, maybe 5-8. So he could spam those 5-8 loogies and then fertilize them with the appropriate seeds before they'd disappear.

By using this method, it doesn't detract from immersion with seethrough models popping up all over the place. But instead provides a "believable" way for the Fade to blink and the Gorge to plant stuff.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    First time I used blink in I got really confused as to why it was rightclick twice, when it was rightclick then left click in the build before that.
    I also wondered who that other fade was, and how he moved like he did, until I figured out it was a ghost. I actually think it shouldnt contain a fade model, just a modified blink effect (so you dont think somone actually blinked there).

The facing is a big problem though, I think it should make you face same dir you did before blink by default, but if you press left click after the blink and something is close enough, it faces the point of interest.
    Because I have tried to flee countless times just to end up facing the marine im fleeing from and running directly at it again, then repeat until I die, and sometimes I just wanted to make the effect for covering skulks, ending up dying cause I cant blink away and wasted my energy on blinking into him several times.
    Yet I like that it has this autoaim, those times I actually tele directly to a marine to kill him, helps alot for lowering the time you are confused of where marine is local to you (it is forward).

Also I am not sure if it already does this, but when you aim @ a marine when blinking, it should position you behind it if you can be place there.

tl;dr
    I think the fade ghost model at blink should be removed, and only be fx ghost
    I think fade shouldnt autoaim after blink, unless you attack directly after it
  • ctoon6ctoon6 Join Date: 2007-06-15 Member: 61256Members
    edited November 2010
    i think the only thing that needs to be changed is in 1stperson view you move very fast toward the target instead of instant, and there should be like a .25 second delay before you appear at the destination. the 3rd person view would still be the same as it is now.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited November 2010
    i say change the point of fade jump from another mdoel of a fade (which adds load on the client) to the blink particle effect thingy, so instead of seeing another fade when you click the jump for first time you see a swirly particle effect indicating were you will jump to.

Also go with the OP's suggestion of just having the fade always face away from a near wall to.
    I still haven't really got a chance to test out the blink autotarget in any proper environment, but..

If the autotarget is necessary, can we have it as a shift toggle or something similar to that? I think I'd feel most comfortable with it as something I can use conciously by pressing down a specific key and then releasing the actual blink. Without the key pressed down I'd always know that I'm still facing the same direction, no matter what happens on the target area.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    I vote in favor for having a modifier-key (ALT would work well as a standard imho) for autotarget teleporting.
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    I think the auto-directioning should be removed, would allow for a better application of skill to blinking into marines. It's also often really annoying in frantic situation when you want to make a few sequential blinks.

A input based direction system, where your direction coming out of the blink depends on what key you were holding as you blinked, would be much better. So for example if you were holding backwards you would come out of the blink facing the opposite direction, if you were holding left you'll be facing left etc and combinations of keys would give diagonals. Default would be forwards.

Finally, an option to not have the hologram fade and to just blink where it would appear at your crosshair would be nice.
  • HunttaHuntta Join Date: 2010-11-21 Member: 75140Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808118:date=Nov 21 2010, 08:41 PM:name=N_3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_3 @ Nov 21 2010, 08:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the auto-directioning should be removed, would allow for a better application of skill to blinking into marines. It's also often really annoying in frantic situation when you want to make a few sequential blinks.

A input based direction system, where your direction coming out of the blink depends on what key you were holding as you blinked, would be much better. So for example if you were holding backwards you would come out of the blink facing the opposite direction, if you were holding left you'll be facing left etc and combinations of keys would give diagonals. Default would be forwards.

Finally, an option to not have the hologram fade and to just blink where it would appear at your crosshair would be nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1

I was first going to vote for holding eg. alt for POI blinking, but this sounds even better!
    Anyway I definitely do agree by just a 15 minutes of playtesting that it can't be left POI only.
    It might work well when attacking but it definitely brings trouble when retreating.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808214:date=Nov 21 2010, 09:52 PM:name=Huntta)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Huntta @ Nov 21 2010, 09:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808214"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1

I was first going to vote for holding eg. alt for POI blinking, but this sounds even better!
    Anyway I definitely do agree by just a 15 minutes of playtesting that it can't be left POI only.
    It might work well when attacking but it definitely brings trouble when retreating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This does sound awesome, and very intuitive... but perhaps this could be taken further combined with adding a delay to the blink.

Perhaps when you blink you are stuck in a 'wormhole' like state, so that until you will not reappear until you press a direction key to the way you want to face.

Obviously this could be abused, so perhaps the delay should be limited to around 1-2 seconds.

Is this going too far, or no?
    edited November 2010
    i reckon thats a cool idea runteh

like when you first press blink, you actually dissappear (blink out) (but your camera view stays there)and you don't appear again until you either:
    -blink to destination
    -cancel blink and appear in the same spot
    -run out of energy -edit:(which would be getting used up from being in the blink state)
    <!--quoteo(post=1808118:date=Nov 21 2010, 06:41 PM:name=N_3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_3 @ Nov 21 2010, 06:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808118"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A input based direction system, where your direction coming out of the blink depends on what key you were holding as you blinked, would be much better. So for example if you were holding backwards you would come out of the blink facing the opposite direction, if you were holding left you'll be facing left etc and combinations of keys would give diagonals. Default would be forwards.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I considered this and thought it might come off as a bit weird since you're forced to strafe and move around whenever you want to turn around. You'd also easily end up facing the wrong way, since the blink is in no way that accurate on long distances and defining whether you warp in front of or behind the target isn't that easy.

I'm in total favour of system like this if it works reliably with the teleport accuracy and control scheme in general though. I guess it might be worth a try. Runteh's 'wormhole system' might help things out a bit at least.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808510:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:27 AM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Nov 22 2010, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808510"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I considered this and thought it might come off as a bit weird since you're forced to strafe and move around whenever you want to turn around. You'd also easily end up facing the wrong way, since the blink is in no way that accurate on long distances and defining whether you warp in front of or behind the target isn't that easy.

I'm in total favour of system like this if it works reliably with the teleport accuracy and control scheme in general though. I guess it might be worth a try. Runteh's 'wormhole system' might help things out a bit at least.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, perhaps having the strafe keys influence direction would be a bit off - would need to be tested though. At least the forwards and backwards keys can be used intuitively though to force a direction. You could have it so if no key is held whilst blinking it does POI but I still think that not having any POI makes blinking the correct distance and whatnot a little bit more skillful (and less disorientating). Hopefully gauging the correct distance is something a little bit of practice can give you. I'm not sure how the location hologram is anchored to your crosshair, but having it so the base of the blink location is at your crosshair would be smart. Blinking would be like 'firing rockets' in such that you'd aim at the ground you want to appear at. You might also then be able to blink without the hologram and having to click twice (should definitely be an option to do that).

The wormhole idea is interesting, but it could make blinking a little too easy... If things got hot you'd just enter the wormhole, spend a couple of seconds calmly figuring out what to do and then easily escaping to safety. Even 1-2 seconds is enough to line up a perfect blink into a vent or something. Not to mention chaining a few blinks together would mean you could spend more time in the wormhole than outside vulnerable to marines.

The whole fade/marine encounter needs to be super frantic but controllable and skill based.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808226:date=Nov 21 2010, 05:10 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Nov 21 2010, 05:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808226"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This does sound awesome, and very intuitive... but perhaps this could be taken further combined with adding a delay to the blink.

Perhaps when you blink you are stuck in a 'wormhole' like state, so that until you will not reappear until you press a direction key to the way you want to face.

Obviously this could be abused, so perhaps the delay should be limited to around 1-2 seconds.

Is this going too far, or no?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Addition: Hit two keys at once to face diagonally. Hit one key twice in succession to face in that direction. Pressing opposite directions does nothing. If the delay runs out, you face forward after blinking.

W+D = face forward and right. A+S = face backward and left. D+D = face right.

That way you don't have to stop moving before using Blink for fear of your walking input accidentally becoming your facing input. And you have twice as many directions to face!

The delay should be 1 second or a tiny bit less than one second (like .8 or .9 seconds).

Sound good?
    <!--quoteo(post=1808536:date=Nov 22 2010, 01:48 PM:name=N_3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_3 @ Nov 22 2010, 01:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808536"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The wormhole idea is interesting, but it could make blinking a little too easy... If things got hot you'd just enter the wormhole, spend a couple of seconds calmly figuring out what to do and then easily escaping to safety. Even 1-2 seconds is enough to line up a perfect blink into a vent or something. Not to mention chaining a few blinks together would mean you could spend more time in the wormhole than outside vulnerable to marines.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think steep adren drain while 'ghosting' might be able to balance that. At best it could give fade a bit more unpredictability and break the certain teleportation rhytm if the fade wants to do so. For example a fade could enter a fight, then momentarily disappear and let the rest of the aliens move in and then reappear in the chaos. That kind of approach could give fade extra depth in adren management without forcing newbies to instantly master it.

Or maybe the ghosting fade could be scanned to force it visible again.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    edited November 2010
    My suggestion is to simply hold the button and then move the mouse to create a vector in which direction you'll face when you land.

1.) Click once then click again to confirm (as it is currently), when released you blink there and facing in the direction you blinked.
    2.) Click and hold then draw a vector to where you want to be facing, when released you instantly blink there and face that direction.

<!--c1--><div class='codetop'>CODE</div><div class='codemain'><!--ec1-->/-(   )-\
        V

O - - - - -<!--c2--></div><!--ec2-->

Press and hold button, then mouse moved to player's left. Now arrives at that point facing left.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808591:date=Nov 22 2010, 07:40 AM:name=Triggerman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Triggerman @ Nov 22 2010, 07:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808591"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My suggestion is to simply hold the button and then move the mouse to create a vector in which direction you'll face when you land.

1.) Click once then click again to confirm (as it is currently), when released you blink there and facing in the direction you blinked.
    2.) Click and hold then draw a vector to where you want to be facing, when released you instantly blink there and face that direction.

Press and hold button, then mouse moved to player's left. Now arrives at that point facing left.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Ideally, I want to be able to blink very quickly with a single mouse click (I'm not really a fan of having to use the hologram). In the middle of a fire fight there's no way I want to be holding down the mouse button and drawing a direction to face.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    I'd like the option to not teleport instantly. It's really confusing when you're trying to fight 3 marines who are running around and that changes how you teleport itself.

Here's my suggestion: use blink (the Fade vanishes to marines and the alien player sees the hologram for positioning) - then, you have a few seconds to choose your blink location after which it times out and you automatically blink to that location.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
    The blink mechanic is GREAT how it is, only minor tweaks are needed.

- Like an option to enable autodirection at enemy players only / not structures anymore. (options menu) - this is a big problem in base harrasing, because sometimes you can get lost and die, autodirectionthing seems to always face into the wrong direction in OHSHIZZLE situations. (no i dont want to look into that sentry barrel!)
    - Option to turn the autodirection completely off. (options menu)
    - a Hotkey, if shift key is active while you enable the blink ghostmodel => no direction change.(ghostmodel resets and faces forwards only)
    - if autodirection is disabled in the options menu, shift enables it while active.
    - if autodirection on enemy players only, shift -> autodirection enemy players only
  • AssassinTeddyAssassinTeddy Join Date: 2010-10-31 Member: 74694Members
    Have to agree it should be a skill based action, the way it currently works seems to throw you away from the intended target way too often, on the other hand - if autodirection is working well it will allow for a good fade to blink immediately behind marines swipe once and run without any effort.

How about disabling the autodirection, and using shift to blink to your destination facing backwards. So there would be the option of click then click again for blink, or click then shift+click to 180 blink.

Means you'd always be certain which way your blink will end up, and it wouldn't interfere with general movement to have some options. From experience with other games, using a direction for it could go wrong in a frantic fight way too easily, or lead you into too many bullets as you move while trying to line up a blink properly.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    Yea they should give us different options because we all have different play styles.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Dunno if it was posted; but maybe just make it simply you right click to blink facing the current direction, while left click faces the nearest POI - easy and simple.
  • tk-421tk-421 Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58315Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1809105:date=Nov 23 2010, 01:43 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Nov 23 2010, 01:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dunno if it was posted; but maybe just make it simply you right click to blink facing the current direction, while left click faces the nearest POI - easy and simple.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Honestly, I think this is perfect. It's a very elegant and simple solution. Great suggestion.
  • RebelRebel Join Date: 2003-04-10 Member: 15371Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Playtester
    While I agree that blink shouldn't be painful to use I am a little concerned that people are looking for the fade immortality pill.
    Fades can be complete and utter b******* to kill on NS1 as they are in their corporal flight mode, giving them the ability to wander up blink in, kill a marine and then disappear at their leisure to safety will just break the game as it would be just too frustrating for marines to carry on playing.
    Blinking should be a rapid hit and fade system (hence the name) but there does need to be skill and some drawbacks to it, some of the above ideas are very cool from a fade perspective but completely unreasonable from a balancing standpoint.
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    edited November 2010
    The fade should blink facing the direction he was facing before. In my opinion, the hologram should be an option and the blink should work with 1-click.

Also I hope as an shift-fire you could have a NS1-style blink.
    <!--quoteo(post=1809105:date=Nov 23 2010, 08:43 PM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Nov 23 2010, 08:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1809105"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dunno if it was posted; but maybe just make it simply you right click to blink facing the current direction, while left click faces the nearest POI - easy and simple.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    PERFECT. simple solutions are always the best :)

combine this with automatic "facing away from wall" and the fade will be deadly cool.