ironsights?

deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
An ironsights option on the rifles/pistols would be a very welcome addition to ns2 i reckon. I would certainly like to see it.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Seems impractical. The aliens move very fast and you want to be dodging them, not standing still to shoot a bit more accurately.
  • antacidantacid Join Date: 2007-08-07 Member: 61821Members, NS2 Playtester
    edited November 2010
    This wouldn't work in a game like NS2. It would slow down combat so much.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited November 2010
    i can think of many games with fast paced fps combat that use iron sights so that above is just silly marine combat is already slow, it would not change the speed of the aliens what so ever so how on earth would it slow combat down between a slow vs fast gameplay thats already implemented. Theres nothing stopping playyers from not using the ironsights
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    I'm not opposed to this. Iron sights for increased accuracy but aliens have good mobility as a counter.

I think it could be nice actually.
  • FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I dont like the idea, it would not be used much (who would ever bring out their ironsight with a skulk at their feets and a lerk circling them with gas?), and would not be good for anything (I always take longer to aim with ironsight than crosshair, making it worse accuracy on moving targets). Also, it would be yet extra work for uwe, both for making animations, look good for player in ironsight mode, and deciding what button to assign it to by default (most people already have to few,).
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Pistol is supposed to have a laser sight when you toggle its secondary mode, but I think this isn't implemented yet - you still get the accuracy boost, but there's no cool laser.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    The game feels a bit strange without it. It would have plenty of uses for skulks/etc at the end of corridors.

I'm not sure you can get away with not having it nowadays.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited November 2010
    I wouldn't mind seeing contemporary sighting systems added to the game. But, after playing against the fade the first thing i noticed is:
    1) the lmg magazine needs 4x more bullets
    2) their's no point in aiming
    3) full auto spraying all over the place ftw
    4) seriously stop aiming... the damn fade just teleported 10 times around the room... shoot now or miss your chance for 4 out of 50 bullets to register.
    5) i need a way to carry more then 6 magazines, because currently it takes about 3 just to leave marine start :P
    6) backup irons sights second, aimpoint first! :D

So ya i think a backpack full of 200-round-magazines would be infinitely more useful then ironsights.

If the devs reverted back to 30 round magazines of very deadly ammo then i think iron sights would work (because accuracy would be more important then)... but currently the ammo is so weak that riding the trigger is highly recommended.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    This again... I think we have kinda established the reasoning for this... The obvious fact that their nanite powered suits of armor have the ability to negate looking down the sights... The tracking system in their helmets helps them aim and stay mobile at the same time, their suits of armor increase their strength so they can actually fire their weapons accurately when not looking down the sights with their lovely recoilless weaponry...

I'd rather see a simple small zoom (similar to looking down the sights) like the one Freeman has in his HEV suit instead of ironsights... They just don't feel like they belong in the TSA universe what with slowing you down and stuff...
  • l3lessedl3lessed Join Date: 2010-06-07 Member: 71977Members
    I personally do want an aiming mechanism to use on long corridors, vents, and any situation in which I don't have an alien biting at my ass. It won't change the flow of combat in a negative way. Instead it will reinforce positive team play by rewarding marines that back each other up. Group moves forward while one marine backs them up by aiming down the corridor. All modern FPS games have this system implemented and it doesn't ruin the pace of the game.

However, I do agree with the above poster. We don't need a actual iron sight technically now that the marines have a integrated face mask/projector. Instead we could just have a simple zoom in with maybe a more precise reticule.
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807600:date=Nov 20 2010, 09:27 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Nov 20 2010, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Seems impractical. The aliens move very fast and you want to be dodging them, not standing still to shoot a bit more accurately.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True Story!
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Include a 2x-scope-kind-of-thingie for those people in the armory then they can use it if they want but I highly doubt that it will be of much use... So most likely it would be a "dead" item.
  • Wyattx3Wyattx3 Join Date: 2003-07-23 Member: 18386Members
    I used to be against Iron sights, but after playing so many games with them, I've grown attached to them...

Obviously there has to be a place for them to be useful if there was any reason to implement them into the game. And I cannot see any that justify it.
  • N_3N_3 &#092;o/ Join Date: 2004-03-12 Member: 27291Members, Constellation
    Iron sights are for slow paced realism games. NS is not this.
  • BarerRudeROCBarerRudeROC Join Date: 2010-10-01 Member: 74264Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808114:date=Nov 21 2010, 07:28 PM:name=N_3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_3 @ Nov 21 2010, 07:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Iron sights are for slow paced realism games. NS is not this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1807689:date=Nov 20 2010, 06:35 PM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ Nov 20 2010, 06:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not opposed to this. Iron sights for increased accuracy but aliens have good mobility as a counter.

I think it could be nice actually.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm +1 to that.
  • weeschweeweeschwee Join Date: 2010-11-19 Member: 75031Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808114:date=Nov 21 2010, 12:28 PM:name=N_3)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (N_3 @ Nov 21 2010, 12:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808114"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Iron sights are for slow paced realism games. NS is not this.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

call of duty games kinda set the standard for games using iron sights and clearly they are not slow games. iron sights would not slow down the pace of ns2. pace relies heavily on other gameplay mechanics like, movement speed, health to damage ratio, level design, and game objectives. i understand uwe not wanting iron sights in ns2 because it gives the game more of a classic old school feel. it keeps the game at its roots. i however wouldn't mind either way. i love iron sights in games. i feel that not only does it accent the weapon modeling and animations, but it also adds more tactics to the game. should i aim down my sights and fire short bursts or do i not have enough time? i'm chasing down an enemy with a shotty but he's just a bit far. if i just aim down the sights for a split second i could get off a tighter shot that might take him out. i'm walking down a long corridor and there is a lerk at the end; if i aim down the sights i can hit him more but now my strafing movement is slower and me might snipe me easier. i love iron sights because it adds more depth, believability, immersion for me, but ns2 doesn't need it. aside from lag and connection issues, it plays great and it's really fun.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I don't think it really adds anything, you really don't have time to sit still in NS, you want to be moving, either towards or away from aliens. If the alien is at the end of the hall you need to move closer because it will run away the moment you shoot, if it is close you need to move away because it is trying to bite your nuts off. There isn't really any time when you don't want to be moving other than when you're defending a point, and even then you don't want to be too stationary.

You certainly don't want to be using an unresponsive and inaccurate iron sight when you could have the centre-of-screen painted crosshair. COD this is not, in COD you simply look at someone, stop, then press RMB then LMB to use your instagib rifle on the near stationary enemy. In NS you are constantly moving and you are tracking stuff moving faster than your refresh rate and teleporting all over.

You might as well say quake 3 needs ironsights, it doesn't and neither does NS.
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808459:date=Nov 22 2010, 09:58 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 22 2010, 09:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it really adds anything, you really don't have time to sit still in NS, you want to be moving, either towards or away from aliens. If the alien is at the end of the hall you need to move closer because it will run away the moment you shoot, if it is close you need to move away because it is trying to bite your nuts off. There isn't really any time when you don't want to be moving other than when you're defending a point, and even then you don't want to be too stationary.

You certainly don't want to be using an unresponsive and inaccurate iron sight when you could have the centre-of-screen painted crosshair. COD this is not, in COD you simply look at someone, stop, then press RMB then LMB to use your instagib rifle on the near stationary enemy. In NS you are constantly moving and you are tracking stuff moving faster than your refresh rate and teleporting all over.

<b>You might as well say quake 3 needs ironsights</b>, it doesn't and neither does NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hahaha, that would be hilarous tho :D

Tho i agree, NS is a game focused around pace when it comes to direct combat.
    Both sides needs to dance around the others attack to survive, you cant have a mechanic that rewards you for not trying to stay alive.

So, if implemented - make sure it takes a second or so to get the weapon lined up, then people will only use it when the aliens are at a good range (imagine a lerk sniping you, or a gorge spitting hydras).
  • FuzionMonkeyFuzionMonkey Join Date: 2005-05-04 Member: 50889Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808459:date=Nov 22 2010, 03:58 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 22 2010, 03:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808459"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You might as well say quake 3 needs ironsights, it doesn't and neither does NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is a really poor analogy. Quake 3 is arguably the most fast paced game ever. Its super quick deathmatch game that heavily relies on twitch aiming and well executed movement.

NS2 is just about completely different from Quake 3 in just about every way. Iron sights would add to the antisymmetry of the Marine/Alien playstyles.

Think of games like DoD. It can work. Not everything has to be counter-strike.
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    Ironsights....
    I hope this awesome suggestion gets left to the modders to add in.

I mean, the aliens are alot faster than you, and I find it more effecive to be moving when encountering them or they seem to close the melee distance rather quickly and that's generally where they want to be and can get in the most damage.

Also, it might just be me, but I'm sure it's quantity > quality when it comes to landing shots. The more you get in the better, there's no need to look down the sights to try and get that headshot in. Just don't let it close the melee gap and keep landing shots imho.
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1808489:date=Nov 22 2010, 10:30 AM:name=FuzionMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FuzionMonkey @ Nov 22 2010, 10:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808489"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is a really poor analogy. Quake 3 is arguably the most fast paced game ever. Its super quick deathmatch game that heavily relies on twitch aiming and well executed movement.

NS2 is just about completely different from Quake 3 in just about every way. Iron sights would add to the antisymmetry of the Marine/Alien playstyles.

Think of games like DoD. It can work. Not everything has to be counter-strike.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not really, I know of few games that have targets moving as quickly as NS. Quake 3 may have higher move speeds but combat occurs at range, NS has combat occuring point blank, so things are constantly flashing across your screen and moving past you at tremendous speed, in terms of need to move your aim around and the vital nature of reaction time (which in NS buys you priceless seconds to get more bullets into the enemy) it is easily on par with quake 3, or at the very least unreal tournament.

I played quake 3, quake 3 is <i>easy</i> compared to a close quarters fight in NS, in quake 3 the target moves in a semi-predictable arc and shoots relatively slow moving rockets at you. In NS the targets drop on your head from nowhere and run circles round your ass biting your nuts off.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1808606:date=Nov 22 2010, 12:31 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 22 2010, 12:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808606"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><u>NS has combat occurring point blank, so things are constantly flashing across your screen and moving past you at tremendous speed</u>, in terms of need to move your aim around and the vital nature of reaction time...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'll just be the first player to say, i don't like aliens that can teleport around the room, or have 900+ armor, or can move tremendously fast.

If NS2 was slowed down enough for ironsights to be usable then i wouldn't mind. But ###### iron sights (what is this mw2?)... i want scopes and reddots lol.
    i keep hearing "iron sights aren't good when something is right next to you" and that is correct. the point of iron sights is to to get a more consistent, accurate shot so you can kill the thing before it gets to you. and i'm not talking about the screen zooming in so you can see your pixels better. most games have accuracy and recoil built into the weapons. i assume ns2 does too. in most games that have iron sights, when you use them the recoil of the weapon goes down and you have more accurate shots. it's similar to holding down the fire button and firing in bursts. firing in bursts allows you to have accurate shots because your weapon resettles between firing. aiming down the sights helps keep your gun settled in at the sacrifice for mobility. and also i'll put this out there. you can still move while aiming with sights. i'm not saying iron sights need to be put in the game, but i think they would be very useful and they would fit perfectly fine within ns2.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2010
    TSA weapons are recoil-less...
    edited November 2010
    If you want an accuracy toggle then have a laser sight toggle.

Turn the laser on and it projects a laser out the front, which looks cool and has the gameplay tradeoff of making your aim visible to aliens, however you get an accuracy boost while using it.

It looks better, keeps the responsiveness of a painted crosshair, has more interesting gameplay effects than ironsights, and is simply more practical for NS.

<!--quoteo(post=1808715:date=Nov 22 2010, 08:52 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Nov 22 2010, 08:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808715"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'll just be the first player to say, i don't like aliens that can teleport around the room, or have 900+ armor, or can move tremendously fast.

If NS2 was slowed down enough for ironsights to be usable then i wouldn't mind. But ###### iron sights (what is this mw2?)... i want scopes and reddots lol.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't particularly like it either but even a skulk will be hard to track when close to you, you can't slow it down that much because they'd have to be really slow. It's a somewhat unavoidable side effect of having a melee focussed side, when they're close to you they will be hard to track, and need to be to an extent otherwise they'd be kind of underpowered.
    <!--quoteo(post=1808984:date=Nov 22 2010, 11:16 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Nov 22 2010, 11:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1808984"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want an accuracy toggle then have a laser sight toggle.

Turn the laser on and it projects a laser out the front, which looks cool and has the gameplay tradeoff of making your aim visible to aliens, however you get an accuracy boost while using it.

It looks better, keeps the responsiveness of a painted crosshair, has more interesting gameplay effects than ironsights, and is simply more practical for NS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i completely disagree, but i understand where you are coming from. lasers are more high-tech and blend with the futuristic aspect of the game. i think laser sights are cool, but only when you are playing without crosshairs. and i don't care for a laser reducing the spread and accuracy of a weapon in a competitive multiplayer game. that's not what a laser does. a laser is just a reference point therefore providing the user with better aiming by enabling them to use quick actions and still keep track of where they are aiming. it doesn't help them cushion the gun to lessen recoil. looking down sights generally entails repositioning the weapon for a better view of the sights and also a better posture to control the weapon.

if Kouji_San is correct that the guns have no recoil, then all of this doesn't really matter much in the sense of gameplay. but if Kouji_San is incorrect...

one thing i noticed the last time i played is that the weapons don't seem to have good sights or any at all. and that is perfectly fine. instead i suggest that the guns have holographic sights. this would maintain the futuristic nature of ns2 and also some cool high-tech features. black light tango down did this with some of their guns...but lets not go there. anyway, i'm sure uwe could come up with some really cool visuals for it and it would be something pretty notable. maybe there would be a way to include it within tech the commander has to unlock.