Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 closed beta released...and how we got here

1235»

Comments

• tanatos86tanatos86 Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71860Members
    Thank you! For everything you have sayed and done.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    can we get a patch today in order to play decently this weekend?
  • UncleCrunchUncleCrunch Mayonnaise land Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41365Members, Reinforced - Onos
    Good points:
    If THAT fade is like THAT, INGAME: Call me mr nightmare. No matter what; i'm gonna find a way to be annoying.

Cosmetic:
    This fade don't have many details on the front side. It's like he's got a diving suit. Add some details.
  • legolego Join Date: 2003-06-30 Member: 17819Members, Constellation
    Constellation should stay how it is. If you really feel passionate about donating buy a couple copies of natural-selection(2). It always makes me happy to know that I supported UWE back when it wasn't a cool thing to do.

Neat new stuff always fun to check in every couple months.
  • PetziPetzi Join Date: 2010-04-04 Member: 71171Members
    Does this mean it's playable now?
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    edited November 2010
    Yes and no. For many people its playable as long as there are not more then six players on the server. But even then the server side memory leak seems to be a problem.
  • brechtosbrechtos Belgium Join Date: 2008-04-18 Member: 64100Members, Reinforced - Gold
    Good stuff, Good stuff :)
    <3 UWE
  • YuukiYuuki Join Date: 2010-11-20 Member: 75079Members
    I just bought the game this morning after having read the post, I wasn't expecting to be able to play at all since my computer is quite old (I got a Geforce 7300 GT). I just wanted to give some money to support as I played a long time NS1 for free. However I was able to launch the game and play a bit, I got like 15fps in the lowest settings, I could also connect to a server and even kill a skulk ! I guess it could be playable in the future with a better graphic card.

What I disliked the most is the lerk spikes, it looks bad. The fade is really awesome.
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    Well, the beta is still not optimized in any way so I would wait with buying a new card. Maybe you can crack the 30fps on release.
    I have a gtx460 and can barely get above 30 on tram ;)
  • 3del!3del! Join Date: 2009-05-11 Member: 67386Members
    edited November 2010
    omg my text just vanished...
    So again: Congratulations UWE. It really feels great to see this project advance at such a fast rate.
    Such amazing progress in the last 2 months!
    As was mentioned before, go replenish health and ammo and let some macs fix you up. Don't exhaust yourselves to much and risk a burnout. You really did a huge job, celebrate it!
    Have a nice weekend and take your time to recuperate.

Thank you so much for making your vision a reality.

<3
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    Would I able to play the beta if I order the game today?
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
  • SolitarioSolitario Join Date: 2006-10-29 Member: 58097Members
    edited November 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1807566:date=Nov 20 2010, 08:04 PM:name=Asraniel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Asraniel @ Nov 20 2010, 08:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807566"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes you would<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    so the 10.000 player limit is not yet reached?
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1807571:date=Nov 20 2010, 08:11 PM:name=Solitario)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Solitario @ Nov 20 2010, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807571"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so the 10.000 player limit is not yet reached?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No, that limit has not been reached yet, so if you purchase the game now you will be able to play the Beta. If and when we get close to the 10,000 mark, we will make sure to make an announcement well ahead of time so that people have a warning that it will be closing.

--Cory
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    Awesome I love it!
  • DeeDee Canada Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10836Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1806945:date=Nov 19 2010, 11:15 AM:name=Lance_Lake)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lance_Lake @ Nov 19 2010, 11:15 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1806945"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you want honest comments, here's one.

I've been trying to play this since the start of Alpha. Haven't been able to. Now, even with the release of this patch, I keep getting connection errors. So the whole "The fade is in the game" is lost to people like me who says, "I don't care. Just give me a game I can connect to".

You asked me in one thread to wait until the beta patch posts and then see what I think. It arrived. I'm still unable to get the game past the main menu. Seriously.

For those who say it's my computer, I am WELL above the minimum specs listed for the alpha.

So I will say this.. It's still not ready for Beta. UW lost allot of respect in my eyes when they stuck with a deadline that they shouldn't have.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have pretty much the same experience. I also get connection errors connecting to a local game! Start NS2 -> Create LAN Game -> Unable to connect -> WTF!?!

The performance in the recent alphas and beta has not improved at all since the original set of alphas. My systems not a gaming rig, but should be able to get some decent performance out of NS2. I've set all of the detail levels to their lowest and it's still unplayable.

System specs:
    AMD Turion X2 Ultra ZM-82
    ATI Radeon HD 3200
    4GB PC2-6400 DDR2 RAM
    Windows 7 Ultimate

I appreciate that UWE is limited in the variety of systems they have to do performance testing with but I have to agree with others that performance across more systems needs to be addressed before RTW/RTM.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Aww shucks, you're very welcome Unknown Worlds.

<-- Happy Constellation donator and Special Edition pre-orderer. :D
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1807370:date=Nov 20 2010, 02:24 AM:name=resresres)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (resresres @ Nov 20 2010, 02:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807370"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Also, Fade is hella fun, but sometimes the model blinks and faces backwards, instead of forwards (reverse from the destination I intended). It would be nice if we could hold control or shift while blinking to blink facing backwards, that way we can blink behind a target, then attack with a sneaky stab - instead of being a random bug.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not a bug, Blink faces you towards the nearest marine within a certain radius. I agree it should be toggleable though for retreating.
  • ahhoahho Join Date: 2003-02-22 Member: 13854Members
    Nice progress indeed. On the fade reveal what happened to the old should flower?
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--QuoteBegin-"zek"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("zek")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->It's not a bug, Blink faces you towards the nearest marine within a certain radius. I agree it should be toggleable though for retreating.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes, it is. I was in an empty LAN. (Because of the "cannot connect" issues)
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    not just marine, but nearest attackable object. this includes buildings and power nodes. you were probably near a power node and didn't realize it.
  • KoruyoKoruyo AUT Join Date: 2009-06-06 Member: 67724Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2010
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1807941:date=Nov 21 2010, 12:25 AM:name=6john)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (6john @ Nov 21 2010, 12:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1807941"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not just marine, but nearest attackable object. this includes buildings and power nodes. you were probably near a power node and didn't realize it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

me thinks a "evasive" toggle key pressed should do the trick. i.e. when you right click its teleport offensively, but when u right click AND hold mouse4 etc its evasive and pointed in the direction you're looking
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    How about shift (as in sprint button) just immediately teleports you forward without facing or ghosts or fancy business?
  • resresresresresres Join Date: 2007-10-16 Member: 62652Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->not just marine, but nearest attackable object. this includes buildings and power nodes. you were probably near a power node and didn't realize it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Wrong again, it can happen in an empty corridor.
    However, bumps (or even perhaps textures around the wrong way/direction) cause this to occur.

Right click to blink, move the 'model' and 9 times out of 10, it will face forward, keep going until you find that it faces back at you - or, you might think that it's going to point forward, but you blink and find yourself looking back the way you came.

It's happened in the tram track corridor, as well as in the room with the yellow crane arm.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Perhaps it just doesn't take walls into account? So you're facing a power node you can't see.
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks to all of you - players, Constellation members and pre-orderers. We wouldn't be here today without you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Im all that, weee :)
    Im glad you have sticked to it, been true to yourselfs and equaly important, worked so hard for all us geeks, nerds and gamers.

Im sure i speak for alot when i say; im proud of being able to help make NS2 a reality.
    Sure not by much, but first by becoming a consti, then keeping ns1 alive by spreading the wisdom, of the TSA.
    Funding - (<u>big thanks to all the donators making it posible for the server being up and running still</u>), and running ABLEns for years. And finaly Preordering the "big package" for what i think is a bargin.

I know i for sure will be emailing and to some extent spaming forums and gaming sites when NS2 gets closer to a release.