Please declare releases

FTNPhoenixFTNPhoenix Join Date: 2008-10-31 Member: 65340Members
Hi, and thanks for reading.

I find it confusing when statements are issued, such as the one 4 days ago now that says,

"...in the next NS2 alpha patch (slated for tomorrow)..."

but then we're never told if the patch was released that day. There's no update record on Steam stating that an update was released, and I was wondering if you (the development team) could please just post that an update was released. You could do it in a tweet, but I was hoping that you could also start posting in the News portion for Steam. That way I could look back and see when all the updates were released, so I would be able to tell if I missed one, be able to talk to friends about how the game was when they played it (which version they played), and so on.

Thanks
~Phoenix

Comments

• ArcadianArcadian Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65617Members
    edited November 2010
    Hey, don't worry. " 'Slated' for tomorrow" means that they were working on NS2 with the hope that they could release the patch the following day. If they release one you'll find out about it, either by Natural Selection 2 updating in steam, by twitter, or by an article on the main page.
  • FTNPhoenixFTNPhoenix Join Date: 2008-10-31 Member: 65340Members
    If I happen to be at my computer while the game is updating, then I could tell that the game had been updated. However, in the morning I usually turn my computer, take a shower, then come back to a started-up computer. If the game updates while I'm in the shower, I'll have no idea it ever happened.

One of the reasons I'm asking for this is because I'd like to know how often the game is being updated. I've seen a couple twitter posts saying something to the effect of an update being released in a couple days, and then never hear anything more about said update. The developers said, "We expect to patch somewhere between 1-4 times per month", so I'm not sure what's being released.

I don't know if they're posting major patches and I'm missing minor ones, or if they're just putting out very few patches. All I'm asking for is an update history, somewhere I can look to see which patches were released when.
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    You won't see them on the News portion of Steam because the game isn't even available in the Steam store. If there's a patch, there will be a tweet and/or a forum thread.
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1805585:date=Nov 15 2010, 10:11 AM:name=FTNPhoenix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FTNPhoenix @ Nov 15 2010, 10:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1805585"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I find it confusing when statements are issued, such as the one 4 days ago now that says,

"...in the next NS2 alpha patch (slated for tomorrow)..."<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm confused that this is even confusing you! <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time" target="_blank">Valve Time</a> is not a new concept, and it is widely used so you should alteast get familar with it so it doesn't cause you any further confusion or distress when dates and deadlines are missed.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1805622:date=Nov 15 2010, 06:51 AM:name=saiko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (saiko @ Nov 15 2010, 06:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1805622"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm confused that this is even confusing you! <a href="http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time" target="_blank">Valve Time</a> is not a new concept, and it is widely used so you should alteast get familar with it so it doesn't cause you any further confusion or distress when dates and deadlines are missed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd like to remind that it's still called <b>Valve</b>Time for a reason. They pulled off probably the two most critically acclaimed games of the two last decades, the first one apparently without the ValveSchedule. After that you're in a pretty decent position to have your own bad habits.

UWE probably has a dozen good reasons for doing things the way they do, but I don't think ValveTime itself applies until they are practically self funded and have a resume that most game developers would kill for.
  • saikosaiko Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60588Members
    I'd like to take the time to point out that I was simply using valve time as an example of another game company that has missed some deadlines in the past.

I was honestly consfused that a missed deadline could confuse someone, and it was for that very reason, that I brought up something that the OP didn't seem to know about in a hope to educate and remove some of his confusion.
  • FTNPhoenixFTNPhoenix Join Date: 2008-10-31 Member: 65340Members
    I understand that companies can miss deadlines. What I'm confused about isn't the missed deadlines. It's about the frequency with which the game is being updated. We were told 1-4 times per month, and it feels like a loss less than that.

For example:

Nov. 9 - "the next NS2 alpha patch (slated for tomorrow)"
    Nov. 2 - "Still trying to fix a crash, then we'll be releasing a new patch!"
    Oct. 27 - "NS2 build 15[2] is now live on Steam!"
    Oct. 22 - "Need to fix a few more things and we'll get an alpha patch out to you. Maybe today?!"

That is about an update every week, stating that a patch is imminent. This, combined with the fact that they said the game would be updated 1-4 times per month makes me feel like there's updates I'm not noticing.

All I'm asking for is an update log somewhere. Anywhere. Here, on steam, I don't care where. Just somewhere I can look to see which updates were released when. I don't think it's an unreasonable request.