NO NOT STEAM!

124»

Comments

• kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Digital distribution will be the end of PC gaming.

And the wheel is pure witchcraft.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That made me chuckle something awful.
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    no probolemo with my single core desktop and dual core laptop.
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    I'd imagine on a single core machine, half of these issues are just to do with old Windows installs.

I can pretty much bet if there was a clean install with no junk, things would probably work.
  • AfanAfan Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73276Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah, but they didnt even apoligize to those whose money theve wasted with single cores!
    i mean SINGLE CORES CAN PLAY THE GAMES!!!!!!
    THEY CANNOT PLAY THE NEW UI!!!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->then steam UI updated and now it disconnects regularly!
    the game requirements still say single core CPU at the minimum.
    so Steam screwed us over.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and their new hardware survey says about 20% have single cores<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Alright so based on what I've quoted above I can assume the following.
    Because you get disconnected and isn't crashing, this is also supported by the fact that 20% have single cores as if I recall correctly you have to be logged into Steam to test your hardware. Instead of blaming Steam of being evil and screwing you over have you considered sending in a ticket to the tech support?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and just because they did some big publicity stunt doesnt win my trust<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While this is a slight tangent it wasn't a publicity stunt it was them saying sorry for wrongfully banning people.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->STEAM WORKED ON A SINGLE CORE COMPUTER
    BUT THEN THEY CHANGED IT WITH OUT TELLING US TO CHANGHE CPU'S!!!!
    THAT LEADS ME TO BELIEVE THEY DIDNT EVEN TEST IT!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is conflicting, you say that they knowingly made the update to not work on single cores but didn't test the program to see if it works on single cores. I would wonder why Steam would test to see if it works on single cores if they dropped support for them.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ITS THE GOD DAMNED FACT THAT THEY WORKED AT 2010, STEAM SCREWED US OVER, AND WONT EVEN BOTHER TO ACKNOWLEDGE THE ###### PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->BUT THIS IS WHAT ###### BUGS ME!!!!!!!!!!
    THEY DID NOT ###### TELL US
    THEY PROBABLY DONT EVEN KNOW!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If we were to assume everything was in your rant is true Steam is an evil corporation that dropped support for single cores. They then didn't tell anyone that they did so and wont respond to anyone who is asking for help, and they refuse to acknowledge that they dropped support.

I think all you have done to fix this problem is to make a thread, complain that Steam is evil and have others fix your computer with you doing none of the work. If you actually want people to help you maybe you should stop ranting and do some work yourself.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Er, only real issue I've had with Valve recently (possibly related?) is that they keep compiling the TF2 dedicated servers with SSE2 enabled (which is the default at this point, for most compilers) when it isn't actually required... unfortunately my old Athlon XP 2500+ doesn't handle SSE2 instructions, so I've had to switch my TF2 server over to the cheapo Ath2 x4 635 that I bought complete from parts for under $200 a week ago. The AthXP will take my mailserver and file manager slot, putting the old 486/DX-33 out to pasture. For the best really, as the PSU fan died a few years back.

My Ath64 3200+ though is still chugging along fine on XP in TF2 when I have guests over, with no oddities. When's the last time you did a nuke and pave? Windows tends to require them on a semi-regular basis after all to get rid of all the crudlets that start to pile up. Installed your motherboard drivers? Some people forget, because it can still work with the built-ins, but with weird effects most times. What does your network topology look like? Might be something wrong with how your NAT device (home 'router') mangles packets, and earlier versions of the client might have been more forgiving. Disconnections (not crashes) would tend to point me at the network first, were I troubleshooting it.. instead of jumping on someone's supposition from an internet forum as the only one possible.

After all, there are a lot of other things than a somewhat outdated CPU that could be causing the problem.
  • Shoot_meShoot_me Join Date: 2002-11-15 Member: 8696Members
    edited August 2010
    Hmm... I can run steam on my single core Athlon XP.. Now, I do have problems with STEAM from time to time, even on my quad core, but it is usually due to my extremely high-latency internet connection. Especially when it gets maxed out on say... downloading updates, game videos, or re-downloading game content etc. When this happens to me, STEAM will appear to freeze for around 5 to 10 minutes at times, but will ~usually~ start responding eventually...
  • MercsDragonMercsDragon Join Date: 2002-11-05 Member: 6963Members
    Changing over to small mode should fix the problem. On slower processors, the spike in resources can be too much which results in steam freezing up and crashing any dependent programs. And really, if your having this problem the likelihood of your computer running NS2 or any other modern large game isn't very good.
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    lol @ the paranoid people convinced their steam account can be stolen easily. It's called email verification. Welcome to the internet, noobs.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    just thought I'd mention that Steam works fine on my netbook
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    Dude if you have a single CPU then you need to give your computer back to your grandpa and get at least a duo CPU
    Trade your XBox or whatever children game console you own and get a real gaming system!!! (computer)
  • Bobby is going homeBobby is going home Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71323Awaiting Authorization
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1801904:date=Oct 18 2010, 12:48 PM:name=social3ngin33rin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (social3ngin33rin @ Oct 18 2010, 12:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dude if you have a single CPU then you need to give your computer back to your grandpa and get at least a duo CPU
    Trade your XBox or whatever children game console you own and get a real gaming system!!! (computer)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The three excalmation marks really made your point...
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited October 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1801904:date=Oct 18 2010, 05:48 AM:name=social3ngin33rin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (social3ngin33rin @ Oct 18 2010, 05:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1801904"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dude if you have a single CPU then you need to give your computer back to your grandpa and get at least a duo CPU
    Trade your XBox or whatever children game console you own and get a real gaming system!!! (computer)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thread res...

<!--coloro:red--><span style="color:red"><!--/coloro--><b>*NUKED.*</b> Image macros are not tolerated here. But agreed, this thread was over and done with. -Talesin<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
This discussion has been closed.