A note to devs about their health

2»

Comments

• ChaosIncChaosInc Join Date: 2010-07-28 Member: 73283Members
    He problem gets it from a common misunderstand of a Roman legion. You see the Roman legion were the first army to create and used a standardized field ration. Basically the Legion only carried the food types schkorpio listed in ts supply train when on the march. However solders were expected (more likely could not be stopped) to supplement their food ration with what could be forged up in the field. I.E. Legionnaires are not vegetarians it was just cheaper to expect the legionnaires to eat the meat ;) of whoever they ere currently fighting with then to buy it from Roman merchants and match it along with the legion.
  • peregrinusperegrinus Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72445Members
    This thread went OT in a very educational way LOL
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    to everyone who jumped on my back for that link: i was being what i thought was clever and simply acknowledging UWE's hard work.

to anyone who ranted: chill, i drink a lot of coffee and don't care about health nazi advice... i googled the link...

to people who lol'd at naps: lol to u sir, a nap in the middle of the day does wonders for your alertness during the rest of the day.
  • ExroathExroath Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72441Members
    I still dont get it .. why not just people live how they want to? sure they might get fat, die quicker .. turn into godzilla. But its their life isnt it?
    Thats my issue with all this health ######e .. the whole "i know better than you, you should listen to me crap"
    Why not just stop the preaching and let people live?
    Who knows .. they might die faster... then you wont have to put up with them. Is that not a Win Win situation?

Oh and the OP was right about the naps thing, Having a nap does wonders!

BUT! NAPS + COFFEE = SUPERPOWERS*

Also if you want to get thin fast , try crystal meth or crack! :P

*statement might not be exactly truthful
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    yeah sorry i went a bit off the rails there - trying to condense 3 years worth of health and fitness books into one post lol, not trying to convert anyone into health freak... (*whispers* dooo it dooo it)
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1795041:date=Aug 18 2010, 05:25 PM:name=Exroath)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Exroath @ Aug 18 2010, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795041"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But its their life isnt it?
    Thats my issue with all this health ######e .. the whole "i know better than you, you should listen to me crap"
    Why not just stop the preaching and let people live?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sticks and stones... I don't have a problem with people preaching anything, so long as they don't come to my door with guns to force me to do it (govt laws).

Live and let live... or die. What REALLY gets on my nerves is if the argument starts to go in the direction of "but it's best for SOCIETY if you're forced to be healthier. Hey as long as I'm not forced(by law) to pay for your lung cancer treatment when you've smoked 10,000 packs of cigarettes, we're cool.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1795082:date=Aug 19 2010, 12:15 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Aug 19 2010, 12:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795082"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey as long as I'm not forced(by law) to pay for your lung cancer treatment when you've smoked 10,000 packs of cigarettes, we're cool.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well thanks to public health care, everyone pays for this treatment because of the taxes we pay. although i'm hoping that cigs are taxed so high that the tax they generate will pay for this.
    then of course you pay in otherways, for example hospitals are clogged with patients that have self inflicted injuries - (on the weekend mostly alcohol and drug abuse related) but of course there are the long term self inflicted ones - such as smoking and eating burgers every day.
    So people with unavoidable illnesses are forced to wait.

I know someone who had to spend 3 days in agony because their condition wasn't "immediatley life threating" until it because life threating, because the surgeons were being overwhelmed with a slow but steady influx of people who have done something stupid and needed immediate attention (and probably because the hospital wanted to get rid of them asap)

anyway so private health care is the way to go if you can afford it :)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    best way to get on a healthy sleep schedule: get a job. and boy would i like one.
  • DelphicDelphic Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58262Members
    More like a way to get a sleep schedule, doesn't mean it's healthy. God damn, I'm tired.
  • PhiXXPhiXX Join Date: 2008-10-22 Member: 65274Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1795133:date=Aug 19 2010, 01:42 PM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 19 2010, 01:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795133"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->best way to get on a healthy sleep schedule: get a job. and boy would i like one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yeah, the "oh gawd work is in 3 hours I gotta go get some sleep" schedule? :)
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1795135:date=Aug 19 2010, 08:33 AM:name=PhiXX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PhiXX @ Aug 19 2010, 08:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795135"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->yeah, the "oh gawd work is in 3 hours I gotta go get some sleep" schedule? :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that's the highschool schedule
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1795136:date=Aug 19 2010, 09:39 AM:name=DJPenguin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DJPenguin @ Aug 19 2010, 09:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795136"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->that's the highschool schedule<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it persists past high school...

spend your days 9 - 5ing it at a job you hate
    come home and start working on personal projects and job applications to get yourself out of the job you hate
    glance at the clock and its 1 am
    stubbornly refuse to go to bed because you haven't had any "fun" ("you time", whatever you happen to enjoy)
    grumpily go to bed close to 3 am because you don't want to use PTO just because you're tired.
    get to work and drink coffee so you don't cuss out your boss in the morning
    take a nap in your car at lunch because you love your car and you can escape from people there...

is it friday yet?
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1795153:date=Aug 19 2010, 10:57 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Aug 19 2010, 10:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it persists past high school...

come home and start working on personal projects and job applications to get yourself out of the job you hate
    stubbornly refuse to go to bed because you haven't had any "fun" ("you time", whatever you happen to enjoy)
    grumpily go to bed close to 3 am because you don't want to use PTO just because you're tired.
    take a nap in your car at lunch because you love your car and you can escape from people there...

is it friday yet?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah when I have problems with my sleep schedule it's because I want to cheat and steal a few extra hours out of the day, for whatever reason.
  • ExroathExroath Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72441Members
    lol it its even worst if your planning on getting a degree in the gaming industry lol
    Atm im lucky if i get 6 hours a night .. and deadline weeks .. lol just forget about sleep :D but it does give you the excuse to nap anytime (waking up with food stuck to my face has become the norm)
    Plus they do say its better to have power naps every 4 hours than it is to have a whole night of sleep.
    BUTTT! no doubt that will be proven wrong or some new bull###### will come along.
    At the end of the day if my lifestyle kills me early , MEH! i say , it was my life after all .. and if i live longer than any health freaks i'll die die laughing :D
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    If your office uses teleconferencing software, jump in on a random conference, mute your mic, put on your headset and find a position to prop yourself up so it looks like you're paying attention, facing away from passersby. Boom, hour-long nap in the early afternoon so long as you don't snore, and no one catches on that you're sitting in on other people's meetings.
  • SredahfSredahf Join Date: 2002-11-24 Member: 9782Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1795313:date=Aug 19 2010, 07:47 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Aug 19 2010, 07:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795313"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If your office uses teleconferencing software, jump in on a random conference, mute your mic, put on your headset and find a position to prop yourself up so it looks like you're paying attention, facing away from passersby. Boom, hour-long nap in the early afternoon so long as you don't snore, and no one catches on that you're sitting in on other people's meetings.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

As an Engineering graduate student, I've actually seen some of the more senior members of the grad group I'm in use that tactic. They open up Webex, proudly state that there's a really great open-to-the-public tech conference and then take a good 2-hour nap.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    Ah, meetings. Best source of free donuts (and sometimes sandwiches) and idle-time to avoid that high-priority actionable item your manager wants you on all day, when you know for certain that it'll be rolled back by the end of the week. Second only to working from home via VPN, if you can get away with that one... I've caught my own manager playing SC2 during business hours when he's WFH 'to watch the kids'.

Really, the worst part of being a sysadmin is that if you're doing it right, you'll soon be out of a job or bumped down to a contractor because you've already automated everything to the point you only actually <b>work</b> about 10 hours a week, tops, on new clients or fixing odd one-offs that your scripts don't yet know how to handle. Assuming anyone's actually *watching* you.
    <!--quoteo(post=1795404:date=Aug 20 2010, 04:43 AM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Aug 20 2010, 04:43 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795404"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ah, meetings. Best source of free donuts (and sometimes sandwiches) and idle-time to avoid that high-priority actionable item your manager wants you on all day, when you know for certain that it'll be rolled back by the end of the week. Second only to working from home via VPN, if you can get away with that one... I've caught my own manager playing SC2 during business hours when he's WFH 'to watch the kids'.

Really, the worst part of being a sysadmin is that if you're doing it right, you'll soon be out of a job or bumped down to a contractor because you've already automated everything to the point you only actually <b>work</b> about 10 hours a week, tops, on new clients or fixing odd one-offs that your scripts don't yet know how to handle. Assuming anyone's actually *watching* you.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

caught him huh? how'd you do that if you were at work?
    <!--quoteo(post=1795445:date=Aug 20 2010, 09:46 AM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Aug 20 2010, 09:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795445"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->caught him huh? how'd you do that if you were at work?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    No comment.

(RDP tunnelled over SSH on the http port to my home server, with framebuffer compositing turned on. Outbound firewall only checks for port, no DPI to make sure that the packetstream is what it says it is... otherwise I'd have to actually wrap ssh over http.)
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1795153:date=Aug 19 2010, 05:57 PM:name=Tig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tig @ Aug 19 2010, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795153"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->it persists past high school...

is it friday yet?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh, I hate that nightguy :D
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb63PdobcZ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb63PdobcZ0</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1795600:date=Aug 21 2010, 03:34 AM:name=pSyk0mAn)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (pSyk0mAn @ Aug 21 2010, 03:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1795600"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Oh, I hate that nightguy :D
    <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb63PdobcZ0" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb63PdobcZ0</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

that about sums it up
  • Antonio Gramscix420Antonio Gramscix420 Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72554Members
    i take loads of prescription amphetamines thats just my friendly tip for the ns2 devs and anyone else looking to 'get'er done' as they say. alright yall take'r easy. cya.