Google Wave

13»

Comments

• ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    They are slowly releasing them. I just got my invite in the last few days.
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    I'm on wave. I had 20 nominations, but invited a bunch of people I work with.

dirkswizzler@googlewave.com is me.
  • RuByRuBy Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10732Members
    Wave looks pretty interesting, but it definitely benefits from being used with other people... I'm still looking for a Google Voice invite though! Anyone using it?
  • Matt ReganMatt Regan Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63946Members, Retired Developer, NS2 Developer
    You guys should totttalllyy send me a Google Wave invite. It'll make NS2 get released sooner.*

*Total lie.
  • sheena_yanaisheena_yanai Join Date: 2002-12-23 Member: 11426Members
    headcrab invited me ^^ yanaikeiko@googlewave.com
  • [WHO]Them[WHO]Them You can call me Dave Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10593Members, Constellation
    I received another batch of invitation nominations (they're not direct invitations, the last batch took approximately a week to process). I'm not going to disclose the number because it invariably will change too fast to matter, but it's small. I've invited everyone I personally know would use it and even went through 2 rounds of inviting anyone at work that wanted to try it. This community is next on my list of places to hand out invites.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but the number available is small. And I consider them precious enough that I'll need to play favorites a bit if I get too many requests. But if you'd like an invite and you're a regular here, feel free to send a PM my way.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1736949:date=Nov 10 2009, 01:24 PM:name=[WHO]Them)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ([WHO]Them @ Nov 10 2009, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736949"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I received another batch of invitation nominations (they're not direct invitations, the last batch took approximately a week to process). I'm not going to disclose the number because it invariably will change too fast to matter, but it's small. I've invited everyone I personally know would use it and even went through 2 rounds of inviting anyone at work that wanted to try it. This community is next on my list of places to hand out invites.

I don't want to sound like a jerk, but the number available is small. And I consider them precious enough that I'll need to play favorites a bit if I get too many requests. But if you'd like an invite and you're a regular here, feel free to send a PM my way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You're <i>totally</i> a jerk though.

I've reached the point at which everyone I care about has accounts, and I have one invite left for an emergency.

Thusfar I've used wave for a single non-"hey this wave thing is pretty cool"-wave. I sent some pictures to a friend. Worked pretty well.

--Scythe--
    <!--quoteo(post=1736976:date=Nov 10 2009, 12:10 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Nov 10 2009, 12:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1736976"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You're <i>totally</i> a jerk though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Apparently so, not even a single request. I assumed it would have been too many. But either everyone here already got an invite or everyone got dissuaded by my e-fencing around my invites.
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    I think everyone (who cares about this) has an invite by now. There seems to be plenty.
  • flying_mooseflying_moose Join Date: 2009-06-03 Member: 67676Members, Constellation
    edited November 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1737248:date=Nov 11 2009, 05:08 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Nov 11 2009, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1737248"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think everyone (who cares about this) has an invite by now. There seems to be plenty.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Nope, some of us are still fishing for invites ^^

Edit: NM, my invites been taken care of.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    *wave* Wave, 2009-2010. Too bad it didn't catch on, but like most people, I couldn't figure out what to use it for.
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1792121:date=Aug 5 2010, 12:12 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Aug 5 2010, 12:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792121"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->*wave* Wave, 2009-2010. Too bad it didn't catch on, but like most people, I couldn't figure out what to use it for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've been using it for collaborative writing since it came out :(
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    oop! if I hadn't read this thread I wouldn't have known wave was going :o

I've been using it to store lists and notes. I've had to transfer them over to google docs now which is way clunky by comparison :/
    Did they shut it down again or what?
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    <a href="http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/update-on-google-wave.html" target="_blank">http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2010/08/upd...oogle-wave.html</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We don’t plan to continue developing Wave as a standalone product, but we will maintain the site at least through the end of the year and extend the technology for use in other Google projects.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <div align='center'>RIP GWave
    We hardly knew ye.</div>
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    I get the feeling that this is mostly the result of no real word of mouth, or truly killer app integration. Something like FlockDraw/openCanvas would have saved this thing and catapulted it at least into the heart of the creative community. Same with allowing tablature sharing/editing.

Unfortunately it kinda got stuck at the level of 'how is it really any better than email or logged IMs?'

Hell, I never even heard that it was opened up to the public.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    talking of Google faux pas, is the horrible grey bar of doom they added to youtube that insists on autoplaying your favourites/recommended/subscriptions annoying anyone else?

I eventually installed a chrome extension designed specifically to kill it just to escape it's constant presence and there seem to be quite a few vids complaining about it and their tech forums have a whole bunch of complaints about it.
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1792238:date=Aug 5 2010, 05:59 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Aug 5 2010, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->talking of Google faux pas, is the horrible grey bar of doom they added to youtube that insists on autoplaying your favourites/recommended/subscriptions annoying anyone else?

I eventually installed a chrome extension designed specifically to kill it just to escape it's constant presence and there seem to be quite a few vids complaining about it and their tech forums have a whole bunch of complaints about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I only watch youtube through the youtube thread in this forum, so no, it doesn't bother me.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    All the cooperation stuff you can now do through Google Docs pretty much.
    <!--quoteo(post=1792238:date=Aug 6 2010, 03:59 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Aug 6 2010, 03:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->talking of Google faux pas, is the horrible grey bar of doom they added to youtube that insists on autoplaying your favourites/recommended/subscriptions annoying anyone else?

I eventually installed a chrome extension designed specifically to kill it just to escape it's constant presence and there seem to be quite a few vids complaining about it and their tech forums have a whole bunch of complaints about it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Is that a very, very recent addition? No more than, say, a week or two? Because I haven't noticed any grey bar.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1792238:date=Aug 6 2010, 02:59 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Aug 6 2010, 02:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792238"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->talking of Google faux pas, is the horrible grey bar of doom they added to youtube that insists on autoplaying your favourites/recommended/subscriptions annoying anyone else?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, horribly so.
    It seems to have been fixed now, autoplay defaults to off.
  • EpidemicEpidemic Dark Force Gorge Join Date: 2003-06-29 Member: 17781Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1792274:date=Aug 5 2010, 07:24 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Aug 5 2010, 07:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is that a very, very recent addition? No more than, say, a week or two? Because I haven't noticed any grey bar.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's only when playing que'ed or recommend videos. Frankly I like it, people should give it a chance before reacting to change.
    I don't care about the bar, I just don't want it to automatically change video when I finish watching something god damn
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1792230:date=Aug 5 2010, 06:14 PM:name=Talesin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Talesin @ Aug 5 2010, 06:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792230"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I get the feeling that this is mostly the result of no real word of mouth, or truly killer app integration. Something like FlockDraw/openCanvas would have saved this thing and catapulted it at least into the heart of the creative community. Same with allowing tablature sharing/editing.

Unfortunately it kinda got stuck at the level of 'how is it really any better than email or logged IMs?'

Hell, I never even heard that it was opened up to the public.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hell, less than that would have saved it.

If they just didn't show it until it was ready- have the same presentation, just a year later, and dogfood it the entire time, then open it up to the world simultaneously. That would've done it. Having a collaboration platform where you cannot collaborate with those you know because they didn't get into the beta yet means you learn to live without.
  • TesseractTesseract Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61328Members, Constellation
    I think examples of how to make it a useful tool would've helped it more. I tried using it for project collaboration but my teammates didn't really understand its purpose and generally went back to bog standard email. Annoyingly.
  • ThiefThief Ownage Join Date: 2003-08-09 Member: 19214Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1792420:date=Aug 6 2010, 10:41 AM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Aug 6 2010, 10:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792420"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't care about the bar, I just don't want it to automatically change video when I finish watching something god damn<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Q F T