Natural Selection 2 News Update - NS2 Alpha Patch Released

1235»

Comments

• phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1789475:date=Jul 30 2010, 04:38 PM:name=dunn_o)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dunn_o @ Jul 30 2010, 04:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1789475"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Progress bar for loading would be great because I have a black screen for about 10-20 seconds after the game is connected and loaded<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wish that was all I had to wait - although I didn't use a stopwatch, I had a ~125 second wait to load the game after joining a server (new patch installed). This has been consistent for me from the start - the front end menu loads *very* quickly now, but gameplay to the stage where I "see" the map takes forever. I start to hear audio loops about 30-40 seconds before the map appears.

The patched version gives a much higher frame rate for me (used to be 2-3fps) - now i'm seeing typically 7-15fps, hitting about 21fps max looking at a blank wall. It's still at the "Doom on a 486 with a crap gfx card" stage as far as playability goes.

FWIW i'm on a 3.4Ghz P4 with 1Gb of memory and a 512Mb ATI 4670 gfx card.

Any stats on typical memory use of NS2 seen by players might be useful, as might the FPS they're getting.

(perhaps a simple wiki in a fixed width system font, add your results as appropriate in a table for your processor or gfx card)
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    edited July 2010
    I played about 1 hour and get bored back to NS1.. Commanding is really bad.
    It says 400 lights bla bla... wow.... and 10 FPS :(

more & more patches needed.
  • WatchMakerWatchMaker Join Date: 2003-09-26 Member: 21233Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1790244:date=Jul 31 2010, 11:55 PM:name=yimmasabi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yimmasabi @ Jul 31 2010, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790244"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->more & more patches needed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Guys, he might be onto something here.
  • The_RangerThe_Ranger So.Cali Join Date: 2003-01-27 Member: 12800Members, Constellation, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1790253:date=Jul 31 2010, 09:59 PM:name=WatchMaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WatchMaker @ Jul 31 2010, 09:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Guys, he might be onto something here.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Crazy. I thought they were done patching and were ready to ship.
  • blackpiranhablackpiranha Germany Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14375Members, Constellation
    # Added new marine commander icon artwork

what?
  • Gnu3nGnu3n Join Date: 2007-09-03 Member: 62150Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790255:date=Aug 1 2010, 07:14 AM:name=The_Ranger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (The_Ranger @ Aug 1 2010, 07:14 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790255"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Crazy. I thought they were done patching and were ready to ship.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ITS NOT DONE?!??!?!?
  • meretrixmeretrix Join Date: 2004-01-23 Member: 25620Members, Constellation
    I just wanted to chime in and say what an awesome alpha. I know it's going to take many many hours of polishing and refining, but I can see the overall picture is going to be amazing. Great job devs!
  • VonDoomVonDoom Knee deep in the latency Join Date: 2009-10-08 Member: 68989Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Yeah! I connect faster, and I dont need to alf+f4 when connecting to a server fails, and the console works now :)

Its so cool to chat with people on the alpha servers, everyone is goofing around and sharing stories and talking about NS :D
  • MotherGooseMotherGoose Join Date: 2002-03-12 Member: 308Members, Constellation
    edited August 2010
    finally able to connect to a server for the first time :D

spent about 40 mins as a skulk playing cat and mouse with a lone marine.

hit boxes are screwed, movement is laggy, only 2 players on map (me and marine)

BUT had a f*cking blast! still lots to fix, but can't wait for the next game play update :D

well done UWE, well done indeed
  • LizzrdLizzrd Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72526Members
    This game :3
    <a href="http://minecraft.net/stats.jsp" target="_blank">http://minecraft.net/stats.jsp</a>

But yeah, great job.
    Looking forwards to when the game goes BETA for additional playablility.
  • LizzrdLizzrd Join Date: 2010-07-18 Member: 72526Members
    edited August 2010
    Great job.
    Looking forwards to when the game goes BETA for additional playablility.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    It is a little unusual the proximity of the release of this patch to the release of the alpha, and yet their hasn't been any patches since. Me thinks their's a series of private alpha builds being produced and throughly tested so the devs at least know what the issues will be long before releasing it in the public-alpha. I think they treat the "alpha" as an incomplete-NS2 (but complete mini-game experience with monthly? installments of new features [and this explains why we don't see the onos and fade yet... because they will have to wait until the exosuit and weapon upgrades, and flamethrowers are ready]), and i question if this is the proper way to make use of the public-alpha? Wouldn't an almost daily release of raw untested fixes and features (as they are created) be more efficient?

From all of this we can tell the presence of new hardware/weapons/lifeforms in the NS2 alpha/beta will increase with time like a very very slow playing game of NS1, where you start with the low lifeforms and the armory, and you cap res, and hand out shotguns etc etc and 3 months later you can get a heavy xD
  • CerebralCerebral Join Date: 2003-06-25 Member: 17689Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1792071:date=Aug 5 2010, 11:54 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Aug 5 2010, 11:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1792071"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is a little unusual the proximity of the release of this patch to the release of the alpha, and yet their hasn't been any patches since. Me thinks their's a series of private alpha builds being produced and throughly tested so the devs at least know what the issues will be long before releasing it in the public-alpha. I think they treat the "alpha" as an incomplete-NS2 (but complete mini-game experience with monthly? installments of new features [and this explains why we don't see the onos and fade yet... because they will have to wait until the exosuit and weapon upgrades, and flamethrowers are ready]), and i question if this is the proper way to make use of the public-alpha? Wouldn't an almost daily release of raw untested fixes and features (as they are created) be more efficient?

From all of this we can tell the presence of new hardware/weapons/lifeforms in the NS2 alpha/beta will increase with time like a very very slow playing game of NS1, where you start with the low lifeforms and the armory, and you cap res, and hand out shotguns etc etc and 3 months later you can get a heavy xD<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The process of producing and distributing a build is a lot of additional overhead. It doesn't make sense for them to spend the time to patch daily or weekly if they don't have enough new content to justify that overhead.
  • NSPNSP Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22656Members
    lot of overhead in release, so no it wouldnt be more efficient to do it daily.

if they did that, it would only add more time until the final version is ready. im sure they'll do updates at logical points along the way.
  • JesusUncuTJesusUncuT Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43367Members
    i couldnt be happier with updates on patches... i could care less if all i can do is jump around in the game and see it as long as im informed on whats being done.

and the list of things fixed is quite large... like somone asked earlyer... you guys sleeping? lol it is an alpha so its obviously not going to be flawless and with the method of repairs you guys are taking its actualy making the game experiance (although minimal) fun.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    that is a great idea, way way easier than you guys having to post manually and attempt to explain whats going on. Looking forward to monday or tuesday!
  • DestrockDestrock Join Date: 2005-01-14 Member: 35500Members
    i know its not the question the + polite lol, but can you guys plz stop writing in that post ? it is 1 or 2 week old and its just to tell everybody that a patch came out... its not a general discussion. im piss to receive 3 email a day for that damn post...
  • Empire state skulkEmpire state skulk Join Date: 2010-02-05 Member: 70437Members
    nice work ns2, at least we have something to play ( i wonder when the full version comes out???)
  • UnfocusedWolfUnfocusedWolf Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72568Members
    A new patch for the alpha already?! Time to keep on the bug hunt
  • 3133731337 Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72759Members
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1793815:date=Aug 12 2010, 08:15 PM:name=31337)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (31337 @ Aug 12 2010, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1793815"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->/unistalled<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    uni stalled? 1 thing was stalled? what?
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation