Able to increase my performance!

RehsaRehsa Join Date: 2010-05-02 Member: 71596Members
<div class="IPBDescription">Tweaked my settings, but do at your own risks.</div>After reading a bug report, I was able to increase my performance.

<u><b>Make changes at your own risk!</b></u>

This may not work for everyone, and <b><u>if you damage your system, it's your own fault!</u></b>

Note: Only really an option for Multi-Core Processors.
Note2: Only attempt if you have good CPU cooling (not stock).
Note3: <i><b>Damage to your processor/memory is possible from overheating/ventilation issues.</b></i>

1. With NS2 Launched, go into your task manager and change your affinity. Change it to something other than Core 0. I set mine to Core 2 (which is my third core). Make sure only 1 core is selected as NS doesn't use more than 1 core as of yet (but will in the future). Reason for changing away from Core 0 (your first core), is so your other tasks will still be able to run fine with your main core in use.

2. Once changed, change the Priority of the process NS2 to Real Time. This will cause the core you selected in affinity to run at pretty much 100%, which over time and without good cooling/ventilation can cause damage.

3. You should now be running a LOT faster in FPS etc.

4. Your performance is now limited by your memory. Due to running in real time, the game will use more memory resources. I was able to play for about 15 minutes with 60FPS before I hit my system memory at around 1.7GB of memory in use by NS2.

NOTE: <i><b><u>YOUR SOUND WILL BE HORRIBLE IN GAME!!!</u></b></i> This is due to setting processing for the game at real time that your audio will not be able to keep up.

I went from about 15FPS to 60FPS with this method. This is not a fix, but something people who are skilled enough and knowledgeable enough of their own systems can try to increase their performance.

Comments

• DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    seems like an unnecessary risk considering their next patch will be to increase fps. surely people can wait a few more days.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    Eh best avoid this alltogether and wait for the patch.

Since setting priority to real time can and most lykely will freeze up everything else running. Considering i wouldn't think too many people today even know what a floppy is, let alone how to best manage taskmanager priorities.
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Stay away from this kid's
  • PinheddPinhedd Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14505Members
    This wont work. Windows will automatically spread execution across multiple cores as efficiently as possible. As long as you have resources available this wont change anything. Setting processor affinity to a single core (especially one that isn't core 0) will horridly impact performance (tested) and setting priority to high/realtime wont have any effect as long as there are unused CPU time slices available. In fact, setting it to realtime will more than likely cause your system to crash when NS2 starts fighting your device drivers.