Please focus on fixing the mouse before fixing anything after the connection issues.

Comments

• RebeliRebeli Join Date: 2003-06-09 Member: 17158Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1787282:date=Jul 28 2010, 04:57 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jul 28 2010, 04:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this issue may be related to a bug in the client-side prediction, which is something I'm going to be working on very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry for a potentially dumb question, but how does client-side prediction (netcode?) affect mouse input lag?
  • ThrillseekerThrillseeker Join Date: 2007-04-10 Member: 60593Members
    People run around with 5-15 fps, can we have 100 fps please? ;)
  • NarcilNarcil Join Date: 2005-02-16 Member: 41426Members
    Are you running in window mode?

I just tried running in Window mode to see what the hit on my fps was, and I instantly had horrible mouse lag. Changing back to full screen mode and the mouse lag was gone.

This wasn't caused by a fps issue as they were basically the same in both modes (30-75fps)
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Not an fps issue, need to fix connection / servers first because there are lot of people waiting to count some bugs.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    If mouse input is done correctly, shouldn't there be maximum mouse latency = time between frames, regardless of how high the dpi is? Otherwise fps affects mouse sensitivity through time response, which would be awful, like fps affecting jp fuel... the effect shouldn't just be minimal, it should be nonexistant.

Played arma 2 recently and their game is ruined from this effect alone.
  • mwpeckmwpeck Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58022Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787948:date=Jul 28 2010, 09:06 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Jul 28 2010, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787948"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If mouse input is done correctly, shouldn't there be maximum mouse latency = time between frames, regardless of how high the dpi is? Otherwise fps affects mouse sensitivity through time response, which would be awful, like fps affecting jp fuel... the effect shouldn't just be minimal, it should be nonexistant.

Played arma 2 recently and their game is ruined from this effect alone.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Not quite. Input can be sampled independently of frames (same reason games do not speed up or slow down with higher or lower frame rates, unlike very old games which were timed based on frames).

The screen is only updated once per frame (obviously), but you can sample and process input between frames, and turn the camera on the next drawn frame enough to account for that change (lets say the mouse moves enough to turn the camera 15 degrees between 2 frames, the 2nd frame will be drawn based on that 15 degree difference from the first frame).

Currently, frame rate can be smooth enough (40 frames when I was testing it without forcing vsync off) while the mouse can lag horrendously. I do not know the exact reasoning behind this, but it was almost as if my mouse was only being sampled on every few frames instead of once on each frame or as fast as possible (ideal).

In the perfect scenario, mouse input is sampled at a high enough rate that you will never notice the latency between moving your mouse and the game camera moving. In NS2, its almost as if the input is only being sampled every 5-10 frames, giving horrible mouse latency which gets worse with lower performance.
  • DantemssDantemss Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24305Members
    Actually I just tested NS2 a bit and the mouse seemed perfect for me, even though the FPS was very low. So this seems to be system-dependent. Sorry, but I can't help anymore.
  • XainGMXainGM Join Date: 2009-06-15 Member: 67850Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787282:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:57 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jul 27 2010, 06:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this issue may be related to a bug in the client-side prediction, which is something I'm going to be working on very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I wouldn't worry to much about this. I have ZERO lag problems when it comes to mouse movement.

Video Here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5OUfIFHJ4&fmt=22" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5OUfIFHJ4&fmt=22</a>
    <!--quoteo(post=1788317:date=Jul 29 2010, 05:30 AM:name=XainGM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XainGM @ Jul 29 2010, 05:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788317"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't worry to much about this. I have ZERO lag problems when it comes to mouse movement.

Video Here: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5OUfIFHJ4&fmt=22" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF5OUfIFHJ4&fmt=22</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So just because YOU have no problems, the devs should ignore the issue? Self-centered much?

Its obvious at least more than 1 or 2 people have this problem, I know I do, I know my friend does, and I know the topic creator does. And based on the threads on the feedback site, at least 4-5 other people are having similar issues. It may not be a huge widespread issue that affects everybody. But it is affecting people and makes the game virtually unplayable for them (just as much as the connection and latency makes the game unplayable for other people), so it needs to be looked into whether you have the issue or not.
  • CobbyCobby Join Date: 2010-05-09 Member: 71685Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788503:date=Jul 29 2010, 02:29 PM:name=mwpeck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mwpeck @ Jul 29 2010, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788503"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So just because YOU have no problems, the devs should ignore the issue? Self-centered much?

Its obvious at least more than 1 or 2 people have this problem, I know I do, I know my friend does, and I know the topic creator does. And based on the threads on the feedback site, at least 4-5 other people are having similar issues. It may not be a huge widespread issue that affects everybody. But it is affecting people and makes the game virtually unplayable for them (just as much as the connection and latency makes the game unplayable for other people), so it needs to be looked into whether you have the issue or not.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have the problem too, making it unplayable for me

And are you serious XainGM? Because you don't get the problem, it doesn't exist and isn't important? I hope you are a troll otherwise I'm lost for words.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1788523:date=Jul 29 2010, 09:01 AM:name=Cobby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobby @ Jul 29 2010, 09:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have the problem too, making it unplayable for me

And are you serious XainGM? Because you don't get the problem, it doesn't exist and isn't important? I hope you are a troll otherwise I'm lost for words.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I am having the mouse lag problems also. My setup isn't anything fancy but it plays most games around 60-70 FPS with maxed out settings no problem and with none of the mouse lag that I am experiencing with the NS2 Alpha.

I get mouse lag even if I simply start up a map from console by typing, "map ns2_mapname".

I will try forcing vsync off when I get home from work. Sounds like that has helped some people.

Cheers,
    Cody
    <!--quoteo(post=1788650:date=Jul 29 2010, 07:06 PM:name=DarkATi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DarkATi @ Jul 29 2010, 07:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788650"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am having the mouse lag problems also. My setup isn't anything fancy but it plays most games around 60-70 FPS with maxed out settings no problem and with none of the mouse lag that I am experiencing with the NS2 Alpha.

I get mouse lag even if I simply start up a map from console by typing, "map ns2_mapname".

I will try forcing vsync off when I get home from work. Sounds like that has helped some people.

Cheers,
    Cody<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Forcing off vsync definitely helps reduce mouse lag, almost to the point its bearable, but its still there enough to disrupt normal play.
    <!--quoteo(post=1788523:date=Jul 29 2010, 06:01 AM:name=Cobby)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cobby @ Jul 29 2010, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788523"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have the problem too, making it unplayable for me

And are you serious XainGM? Because you don't get the problem, it doesn't exist and isn't important? I hope you are a troll otherwise I'm lost for words.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I just think it's less important than you make it about to be. Odds are it's probably just a setting, or hardware configuration. Last thing I want devs to be doing for days on end is focused on your 1 issue. None of the devs confirmed this as them having the issue, so now they have to go into the code and play a guessing game of where the problem can be, and delay development even more just to figure out why a select few of you have lag issues.

Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it, I'm just saying when you make your demands out in the thread title telling them to "Please focus on fixing the mouse before fixing anything after the connection issues" as if YOU have some sort of importance to make sure YOU are playing the alpha, then sorry to tell ya, you're no more important than the rest of us. I wan't the devs to do what will make them more progress over the next few days than worrying about YOU. Get my drift?

Now, I'm done talking about this, I'm not going to drag this out into a flame war. I'm sure if the devs know what's wrong they will fix it rite off the bat. I'm just asking they focus on the things that will make them more progress over the next few days.
  • TagertsweTagertswe Join Date: 2010-03-04 Member: 70825Members
    the mouse lag I'm experiencing is surfacing after playing maybe half an hour or so on a server, although if the server isn't freshly rebooted then the mouse lag comes right away when jumping in.
    <!--quoteo(post=1788702:date=Jul 29 2010, 08:38 PM:name=XainGM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XainGM @ Jul 29 2010, 08:38 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788702"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I just think it's less important than you make it about to be. Odds are it's probably just a setting, or hardware configuration. Last thing I want devs to be doing for days on end is focused on your 1 issue. None of the devs confirmed this as them having the issue, so now they have to go into the code and play a guessing game of where the problem can be, and delay development even more just to figure out why a select few of you have lag issues.

Now, I'm not saying they shouldn't fix it, I'm just saying when you make your demands out in the thread title telling them to "Please focus on fixing the mouse before fixing anything after the connection issues" as if YOU have some sort of importance to make sure YOU are playing the alpha, then sorry to tell ya, you're no more important than the rest of us. I wan't the devs to do what will make them more progress over the next few days than worrying about YOU. Get my drift?

Now, I'm done talking about this, I'm not going to drag this out into a flame war. I'm sure if the devs know what's wrong they will fix it rite off the bat. I'm just asking they focus on the things that will make them more progress over the next few days.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fixing the mouse lag issues will allow more people to test for other bugs as it will open the alpha to be playable (to some extent) to more people. Therefore, fixing mouse lag expands the alpha testing audience which in turn expands your playtester base who help you make a better overall game.

I am not saying the mouse lag is more important than connection issues (as the game is multiplayer only) but the mouse lag disrupts play too much for anyone who has it to be able to actually test the game. At least those who only have the connection issues can run around on a lan server to search for map and other similar bugs while they wait for the fix.....something those with mouse issues have a very difficult time doing.
  • IronFistIronFist Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58805Members
    Out of curiosity, do people with this issue notice a difference between online play and local LAN server (Create game)?
  • TOMTOM2TOMTOM2 Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73149Members
    I've got the same probleme and it's unplayable for me. I managed to make it less noticeable by lowering dpi and forcing Vsync off.
    I used to play at a good level on games like CS or TF2 and I can promise you, XainGM, that the game will never have any competitive potential if the mouse input (I don't know how to say) isn't PERFECT for EVERYONE (I mean no accel, no filter, no lag AT ALL). I hope the Devs will fix it quickly. For me it's as important as all kind of optimization.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1788754:date=Jul 29 2010, 04:13 PM:name=IronFist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IronFist @ Jul 29 2010, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Out of curiosity, do people with this issue notice a difference between online play and local LAN server (Create game)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No, it's not a latency mechanic. Also there's no real way to tell because LAN servers are reportedly actually being created as listen servers right now, so there may very well be no true LAN.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788754:date=Jul 29 2010, 04:13 PM:name=IronFist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IronFist @ Jul 29 2010, 04:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788754"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Out of curiosity, do people with this issue notice a difference between online play and local LAN server (Create game)?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah for me it is always there.
  • k4t4l1ztk4t4l1zt Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72857Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787167:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:23 AM:name=SilverWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SilverWolf @ Jul 28 2010, 02:23 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am not one to "toot my own horn" but i've played on the pro levels of multiple games<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Watch out devs, this guy knows his sh*t.
  • DarkATiDarkATi Revelation 22:17 Join Date: 2003-06-20 Member: 17532Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010

It is rather hard to distinguish between mouse lag and network lag. I have what I would call, "mouse lag" during online play and when I create my own game. However, the "mouse lag" seems to get worse with online play. From what little I've read, it seems that the net code needs a lot of work right now. There is a lot of "packet spam" and "connect/disconnects" that are bogging everything down.

EDIT: Ah, the actual point I was trying to make...

So, this means that my "mouse lag" may not be getting worse with online play, it could just be network lag on top of the mouse lag. However, I am definitely getting "mouse lag" in both types of play.

Cheers,
    Cody
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    Please focus on completing all of the core game systems before fixing minor Alpha build glitches.
    <!--quoteo(post=1788823:date=Jul 29 2010, 02:29 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 29 2010, 02:29 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please focus on completing all of the core game systems before fixing minor Alpha build glitches.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Exactly. Even if mouse lag was an issue for me, I would still ask this. I wouldn't for an iota of a second ask you to focus on MY problems.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1788836:date=Jul 29 2010, 11:39 PM:name=XainGM)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (XainGM @ Jul 29 2010, 11:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788836"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Exactly. Even if mouse lag was an issue for me, I would still ask this. I wouldn't for an iota of a second ask you to focus on MY problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I am not asking them to fix MY problems, I am asking them to fix a bug that inhibits gameplay and testability in the Alpha they released for the sheer purpose of bug hunting. Hard to bug hunt when you can't do basic tasks in the game such as move your camera around without attempting to correct for mouse lag that causes you to under or over shoot your target.
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It will be part of the next set of patches according to the main site.
  • tjosantjosan Join Date: 2003-05-16 Member: 16374Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    Wha--? Being able to point at what you want is as core as it gets in a FPS game. If NS2 ends up being as crappy as the oblivion/fallout 3 engine then it will fail horribly regardless of anything else. There is just no making up for bugs like these.

Or, gods forbid, mass effect. *shudder*
  • poweripoweri Join Date: 2006-11-26 Member: 58724Members
    From what little "playing" I did with the alpha, the problem (and indeed what struck me as odd) was that when the client received state updates from the server (in a lagged situation), it seemed to snap back not only my character's position but viewangles as well.
    Snapping back after bad predictions is normal, but I don't think any other engine includes the server's opinion of the client's facing in that, and for a good reason.. It's both useless and very disorienting.
  • Patrick Swayze's GhostPatrick Swayze's Ghost Join Date: 2010-07-24 Member: 72742Members
    Whether or not the mouse feels tight when the game is in beta/final pretty much decides whether I will play. The "killzone" type of aiming just doesn't cut it. Not complaining about the alpha, I'm sure it'll be fixed :)

I hope you guys strive for mouse movement that kinda emulates the Source engine, cause it's perfect with them. Unreal games always had the same laggy feeling, though.
  • maessemaesse Join Date: 2010-04-08 Member: 71213Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790481:date=Aug 2 2010, 02:20 AM:name=poweri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (poweri @ Aug 2 2010, 02:20 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790481"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->From what little "playing" I did with the alpha, the problem (and indeed what struck me as odd) was that when the client received state updates from the server (in a lagged situation), it seemed to snap back not only my character's position but viewangles as well.
    Snapping back after bad predictions is normal, but I don't think any other engine includes the server's opinion of the client's facing in that, and for a good reason.. It's both useless and very disorienting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think this is the first post in this thread, where someone actually tries to figure out whats going on, instead of random guesses like DPI settings. Good job.
  • SturmwindSturmwind Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72589Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1788893:date=Jul 30 2010, 01:54 AM:name=mwpeck)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mwpeck @ Jul 30 2010, 01:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1788893"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am asking them to fix a bug that inhibits gameplay and testability in the Alpha they released for the sheer purpose of bug hunting. Hard to bug hunt when you can't do basic tasks in the game such as move your camera around without attempting to correct for mouse lag that causes you to under or over shoot your target.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yes, performance problems of any kind need to be fixed first. otherwise no one will be able or motivated to playtest alpha for a longer period of time.