Please focus on fixing the mouse before fixing anything after the connection issues.

SilverWolfSilverWolf Join Date: 2003-05-20 Member: 16540Members
As my topic says, after the connection issue is fixed THE FIRST thing that needs to be addressed is the mouse lag problem. This is first and foremost a fps game, the only thing holding it back (for the most part) from being a playable game at this point is the lack of the ability to aim.

I am not one to "toot my own horn" but i've played on the pro levels of multiple games, and I literally CAN'T aim or track anything, my mouse lags behind where I intend to move it, it feels awful in general and does not let you enjoy the alpha in any way. Honestly you fix this, people will be happy and another point is you cant complain about hit boxes not registering when you can't even aim in the first place... People can deal with poor hit registration they CAN'T deal with not being able to aim.

<a href="http://www.livestream.com/flowrevlis/video?clipId=pla_8225412a-a18e-4ad1-9b13-edf5512e83d8&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb" target="_blank">http://www.livestream.com/flowrevlis/video...medium=ui-thumb</a>

the above is a link to my first experience playing this game last night. If you skip to 10:00 in, you will see exactly what I am talking about when I try to track a skulk. Honestly the few times I've been able to actually place my cursor on a alien, it dies..

Anyway I am really happy to be apart of this community, and this game. I think its great this was released and I am not disapointed in any way, I simply want this major issue to be addressed as its the worst part of the alpha IMO.

Thanks

Comments

• ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
    Although mouse may not always be as responsive as I'd like it to be, I don't think I have your problem. My side of things is most likely due to low FPS.

Are you sure your graphic drivers aren't allowing Vsync or anything ?
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    what video card do you have? Both nvidia and ati have frame queuing that can range from 0-3 in most cases. If you are getting 30 fps in ns2, a 3fps delay is 100ms of input delay on top of the networking delay.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    edited July 2010
    fixing the fps lag will more than likely directly help the mouse lag problem you're having, which is a much higher priority than just looking at the mouse itself.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    I hope you are pressing F1 and reporting the issue correctly through get satisfation!
  • SyknikSyknik InversionNS2.com Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2064Members, Constellation, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kaja, my mouse is really smooth I haven't had any issues at all with tracking. Only time I do is whenever there ends up being a lot of lag, but besides that, really smooth on my end. But i'm sure it's still a good issue to look into once the server performance/optimization is done being worked out.
  • SilverWolfSilverWolf Join Date: 2003-05-20 Member: 16540Members
    I have a Nvidia 9500 GT.. Mouse is Razer Deathadder.. I'm thinking it could be a dpi issue, checking it out right now.
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    It will be addressed in the future.
  • UnfocusedWolfUnfocusedWolf Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72568Members
    Here we go, the pros are trying to take over already...
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I don't think you need to be a pro to find the mouse clunky. But maybe that's my slideshow gaming experience that explains this.
  • KompatriotKompatriot Join Date: 2010-01-14 Member: 70144Members
    I can't track anything either, even on the best servers; but I thought that was due to network lag?
  • remiremi remedy [blu.knight] Join Date: 2003-11-18 Member: 23112Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester
    I get more issues than just the mouse. My avatar would keep moving around after i stopped touching the keys, like the keys got stuck on or queued up. I think it is related to the netcode issues. That type of behavior would make sense if they were using TCP, but afaik they're using UDP (very classic behavior for a stutter in the connection followed by the burst of data since TCP gaurantee's delivery).
  • JediYoshiJediYoshi The Cupcake Boss Join Date: 2002-05-27 Member: 674Members
    Here's some footage I shot. Hasn't been a problem for me, I've been tracking things just fine. Bonus footage of Flayra trying to axe a skulk at the end

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/f8NKB8slUb4"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/f8NKB8slUb4" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
  • SilverWolfSilverWolf Join Date: 2003-05-20 Member: 16540Members
    ok so I tested it out with a lower dpi, I normally play with 3500 dpi. I changed it to 900 and played.. it was a lot better minimal lag but it was still there, lowered it even more to 450 dpi and it was even better, but its still not as smooth as it should be. I'm pretty sure that the performance of the engine is the cause of the minimal lag with the lower dpi. So if you are having the problem I was try lowering your dpi, but I still think this really needs to be addressed, apparently the engine cant handle a high dpi.
  • Dickbeard the PirateDickbeard the Pirate Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73082Awaiting Authorization
    I play with 4000dpi, had no problems. I mean it's no Quake 3, that's like the perfect pure optimal level of engine refinement and mouse aiming smoothness, but I didn't have any difficulty hitting things with bullets.
  • ShEpShEp Join Date: 2010-07-20 Member: 72597Members
    I played with 2000 dpi no problem, so I'm not sure it's about the engine not being able to handle higher DPI. There is obviously an issue here but I feel it may be more system / graphics specific.

I'm sure we'll know soon enough =P.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    The mouse isn't as responsive as other FPS games, go back and play NS1, or CoD and you will see a huge difference now again, I don't know if this is caused by the lag or lack of optimization, but if it isn't and that's just how the mouse movements are handled, then I agree with Silver and it should be smoother.

I mean it is one of the most vital things, to be able to properly and accurately track the aliens, especially with how fast they move, if your crosshair isn't smooth and lag/jumps then well.. there's going to be problems.
  • KeilariaKeilaria Join Date: 2005-02-27 Member: 42639Members, Constellation
    Some of it could be due to the network lag. Some of the problems described here are symptoms I've seen in other games with a property in net graph called 'choke.' I should probably google that, considering I've been dealing with it for years, but... when the choke value goes above 0-10, the triggers for key presses and key releases are delayed. I think it's when the system is choking on data and has to queue it so it won't overflow and crash. Like I said, I"ll have to look it up...
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1787250:date=Jul 27 2010, 11:10 PM:name=SilverWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SilverWolf @ Jul 27 2010, 11:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787250"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok so I tested it out with a lower dpi, I normally play with 3500 dpi. I changed it to 900 and played.. it was a lot better minimal lag but it was still there, lowered it even more to 450 dpi and it was even better, but its still not as smooth as it should be. I'm pretty sure that the performance of the engine is the cause of the minimal lag with the lower dpi. So if you are having the problem I was try lowering your dpi, but I still think this really needs to be addressed, apparently the engine cant handle a high dpi.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Prerty broad assumptions of what the engine can and can't do, based on less than 24 hours of having the client available.
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I think this issue may be related to a bug in the client-side prediction, which is something I'm going to be working on very soon.
  • TheGivingTreeTheGivingTree Join Date: 2003-01-09 Member: 12070Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787282:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:57 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jul 27 2010, 09:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this issue may be related to a bug in the client-side prediction, which is something I'm going to be working on very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Ooh sweet, great to hear!
  • LucidLucid Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10534Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    I definitely noticed this problem. At first it was just something that didn't <i>feel</i> right. After I thought about it for a while I noticed that in NS2, there's a significant sway in the model of the gun. This for me is disrupting. In NS1 the model rigidly moves with the cross hair so there's no conflict visually. But that's only half the problem. Again comparing with NS1, aiming side to side (up and down as well ofcourse) there IS a delay for the crosshair. And I'm playing on my own server, no other players.

Do this:
    - start your own local server
    - join aliens
    - enable cheats (cheats 1 in console)
    - climb up a wall
    - type "heavy" in console (if you are on the ground you will probably fall through it, thats why you go skulk first
    - type "give rifle" in console
    - hit your bind for weapon slot 1 (it's "1" by default)
    - now you will have a crosshair with no gun model
    - use this to quickly aim side to side and notice the slight delay
    - now load up NS1 and compare it

I suggest getting rid of the sway to make the model move rigidly with your actual aim (crosshair). Of course this is secondary to nailing the actual delay problem. Keep on doing what you do devs!
  • mwpeckmwpeck Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58022Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1787282:date=Jul 28 2010, 03:57 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jul 28 2010, 03:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this issue may be related to a bug in the client-side prediction, which is something I'm going to be working on very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you!

The mouse lag here is absolutely horrible, to the point that after a couple seconds of playing around on a lan game I simply closed the game and haven't bothered to open it up again.

I launched it earlier and turned the graphics down to "Ridiculously awful" and it did help some, but there was still probably a 250+ ms lag between my mouse moving and the view moving.

I just now forced vsync off (always off), and it seems much better but there still seems to be a small amount of mouse lag. Much better as in I may actually be able to playtest some tomorrow, but not optimally.

But, I am stuck on a laptop (i5 processor and a 5650 GPU, but the GPU is the mobile version and performance is not that great, plus the processor is much slower than my desktop). Hopefully, by the time UWE fixes some of the more major bugs (mouse lag, connectivity, maybe even some of the performance issues), I will be back on my desktop and be getting more acceptable FPS (it ranges from 20-30 on my laptop at low resolution, turning graphics down and disabling dynamic shadows bumps it up to 30-40, which is still quite low for me to play at considering what I am use to).
  • derWalterderWalter Join Date: 2008-10-29 Member: 65323Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787282:date=Jul 28 2010, 02:57 AM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jul 28 2010, 02:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think this issue may be related to a bug in the client-side prediction, which is something I'm going to be working on very soon.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

na, its about delay, i move my mouse but my crosshair needs ages to start moving compared to quake engine based games :/ (q1-qL goldsrc src ob nexuiz cube cube2 and so on)

maybe its all about vertical sync?
    <!--quoteo(post=1787405:date=Jul 28 2010, 01:01 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jul 28 2010, 01:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->na, its about delay, i move my mouse but my crosshair needs ages to start moving compared to quake engine based games :/ (q1-qL goldsrc src ob nexuiz cube cube2 and so on)

maybe its all about vertical sync?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    disable vsync and set your frame queue depth to 0 and try again.
  • mwpeckmwpeck Join Date: 2006-09-18 Member: 58022Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787405:date=Jul 28 2010, 06:01 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jul 28 2010, 06:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787405"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->na, its about delay, i move my mouse but my crosshair needs ages to start moving compared to quake engine based games :/ (q1-qL goldsrc src ob nexuiz cube cube2 and so on)

maybe its all about vertical sync?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    vsync plays a large part in it I think. With v-sync set to "Off, unless application specifies" in my driver settings it was horrendous. I had a hard time checking out the maps as skulk due to the latency combined with the low FPS. With v-sync set to "Always Off", I can somewhat accurately move around as skulk (I haven't gamed in a fast-paced FPS in over a month on my mouse, so my aim is off, but I can at least move around with some degree of accuracy now) and check out the maps more easily.

Before, I had a hard time stopping completely and aiming up at a vent to leap into it. Now, I can aim a bit while still moving and get pretty close to the vent.

Still seems to be some small mouse issues but its MUCH better without vsync for me.
    <!--quoteo(post=1787408:date=Jul 28 2010, 05:02 AM:name=Mr. Epic)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. Epic @ Jul 28 2010, 05:02 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787408"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->disable vsync and set your frame queue depth to 0 and try again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    frame queue depth? how do you manipulate this? i mean how could they frame queue depth be higher than 0?
    i mean it is meant to be a competitive game?

and we need a check box for turning on vertical sync, because it should be turned off by default.
    <!--quoteo(post=1787422:date=Jul 28 2010, 01:26 AM:name=derWalter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (derWalter @ Jul 28 2010, 01:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->frame queue depth? how do you manipulate this? i mean how could they frame queue depth be higher than 0?
    i mean it is meant to be a competitive game?

and we need a check box for turning on vertical sync, because it should be turned off by default.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    If you have an nvidia card you must search for the "max frames to render ahead" option and set it to 0 or 1, or if you have an ati card you must get a utility to adjust the "flip queue" size to 0 or 1.
    ah this you meant - kk.

thx!
  • DantemssDantemss Join Date: 2003-12-13 Member: 24305Members
    Oh! I remember this bug! I had this in Farcry 2.

Setting FrameQueue depth to 0 in the NVidia control panel fixed it (mostly, not completely) in Farcry 2 for me. I actually haven't had time to try NS2 yet, I will see how it goes tomorrow.

So the problem (as I remember from Farcry) is that basically at low FPS you expect your movement (looking around) to be jittery, like in most successful shooters. Insted, it is smooth but VERY slow and sometimes takes seconds to register from the moment you move the mouse (I'm not kidding).

It's not a network lag issue, it looks like an input issue.

Speculation Begin
    On another note, I'm no game programmer, but I do have some GUI experience. If this game was a GUI (hahahah), I would move long computations away from the event thread and that would solve the problem of the GUI being unresponsive to input.

Maybe moving mouse events to a different thread other than the engine stuff would help in NS2 (so we wouldn't have to mess with the control panel settings)

Again, just a long shot. I have no idea how DirectInput (if you are even using that) works.

Sorry if I got it all wrong :)
    Speculation End
  • vsyncvsync Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62602Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1787167:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:23 PM:name=SilverWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SilverWolf @ Jul 27 2010, 09:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1787167"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As my topic says, after the connection issue is fixed THE FIRST thing that needs to be addressed is the mouse lag problem. This is first and foremost a fps game, the only thing holding it back (for the most part) from being a playable game at this point is the lack of the ability to aim.

I am not one to "toot my own horn" but i've played on the pro levels of multiple games, and I literally CAN'T aim or track anything, my mouse lags behind where I intend to move it, it feels awful in general and does not let you enjoy the alpha in any way. Honestly you fix this, people will be happy and another point is you cant complain about hit boxes not registering when you can't even aim in the first place... People can deal with poor hit registration they CAN'T deal with not being able to aim.

<a href="http://www.livestream.com/flowrevlis/video?clipId=pla_8225412a-a18e-4ad1-9b13-edf5512e83d8&utm_source=lslibrary&utm_medium=ui-thumb" target="_blank">http://www.livestream.com/flowrevlis/video...medium=ui-thumb</a>

the above is a link to my first experience playing this game last night. If you skip to 10:00 in, you will see exactly what I am talking about when I try to track a skulk. Honestly the few times I've been able to actually place my cursor on a alien, it dies..

Anyway I am really happy to be apart of this community, and this game. I think its great this was released and I am not disapointed in any way, I simply want this major issue to be addressed as its the worst part of the alpha IMO.

Thanks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

get more skillz bro