Game won't start from Steam menu

reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
Sorry if this is a repeat problem, but most topics I noticed were about people not being able to load servers.

My game simply won't even start from the Steam menu. I hit play and nothing happens. All other Steam games work fine.

I put in the code I was e-mailed and it says there are no further updates to download.

Anyone else not able to even load up the game menu?

Any solutions?

Comments

• ZakZak Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72701Members
    Restart your computer, it just happened to me and restarting the computer makes it work unless you already have
  • reasareasa Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 8010Members, Constellation
    Tried that twice already, no luck. Like I said all other Steam games load fine. NS 2 won't even let me into the menu. just does nothing when I click play.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    I have no idea if this will help at all, but have you tried right-clicking NS2 and selecting "Create desktop shortcut" and running it that way?
  • ErAz0rErAz0r Join Date: 2004-10-28 Member: 32497Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    i have this same problem , is there any news on this ?

using a desctop shoetcut does not work ,

i start steam right clisk ns2 click "play " it gets an egg timer like its going to load then it stops and nothing
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786654:date=Jul 27 2010, 03:59 PM:name=Mahmutti)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mahmutti @ Jul 27 2010, 03:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have no idea if this will help at all, but have you tried right-clicking NS2 and selecting "Create desktop shortcut" and running it that way?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well I just tried that and something different happened. The game still does not load, but now a little Steam menu appears telling me "Preparing to Launch NS" then it goes away and nothing happens.

Also there is no fancy looking desktop icon for NS 2, that I can see anyway, just a blank application pic. I assume they just didn't get around to that yet, but just tossing it out there if not.
  • MahmuttiMahmutti Join Date: 2010-05-25 Member: 71854Members
    I don't think there's a desktop icon for NS2 yet, but I "made" (screenshotted the launchpad and cut the NS1 hive icon thingy) an icon that I use for NS2. I can upload it if someone wants it.
    Well I removed all my content and I am redownloading the game files from Steam. I'll update if this fixes the problem.
    ok cool , keep us updated , im trying things myself ill let you know if its to any avail
  • Lance_LakeLance_Lake Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26358Members
    I have the same issue. Redownloading the files don't work.

I thought it was just me as I recently installed a new OS.
    ok just a thought here , im having an issue with ati CCC catalyst control centre will not load up , is any one having this issue too ?
    <!--quoteo(post=1786734:date=Jul 27 2010, 04:48 PM:name=ErAz0r)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ErAz0r @ Jul 27 2010, 04:48 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786734"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ok just a thought here , im having an issue with ati CCC catalyst control centre will not load up , is any one having this issue too ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OK redownloading the game did not help, it still won't open. My catalyst control center does load up though.

Anyone else have any ideas as to what could be wrong?
    Hey, I got it to work!

Try this, go into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2

Click on the NS launch icon there. It gave me an error saying it couldn't find PhysX files it needed.

So in that same folder click on the "redist" folder and install the PhysX application. For some reason this wasn't installed for me.

Game loaded up just fine after that.

Hope this works for others.
    confirmed this works
  • Lance_LakeLance_Lake Join Date: 2004-02-10 Member: 26358Members
    I already had it installed (and yes, I tried reinstalling it again). It doesn't help me.
  • elfelf Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73245Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786825:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:40 PM:name=reasa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (reasa @ Jul 27 2010, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786825"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hey, I got it to work!

Try this, go into C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2

Click on the NS launch icon there. It gave me an error saying it couldn't find PhysX files it needed.

So in that same folder click on the "redist" folder and install the PhysX application. For some reason this wasn't installed for me.

Game loaded up just fine after that.

Hope this works for others.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This worked for me too! I was worried it was just my PC...thanks for the tip.
    Glad this could help some people :)
  • PaiSandPaiSand Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33487Members
    The Physx and DirectX installers found on the redist folder are not automatically installed (and is the best way).
    If you use an nVidia card and have the latest driver, you have the latest Physx, and if you have windows XP o later you also have DirectX 9C or later installed, no need to install it manually (and that's why is the best way).

If you use a different video card, from other vendor, you need to install Physx from the redis folder.

Most video games force you to install program versions that you already have installed or you have a newer version of this programs. They don't check if you already have it, they just drop it in your face and could screw your configuration.

Hopefully in the near future NS2 will check for this before install (beta?). I hope so. There is no worst thing that forcing you on something you don't need.
  • MurtaughMurtaugh Join Date: 2010-07-31 Member: 73376Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    I also had the same problem, but my physx version was newer then the one in the redis folder. And I got some weird error when I launched the game from the Natural Selection 2 folder directly. I tried reinstalling the directX drivers and that didnt help. I ended up rolling back my NVIDIA graphics drivers to ver 257.21 (I had ver 258.96) and now the game starts fine.