So now that some of you guys are playing Alpha...

zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
You should be able to give a good estimate on how much needs to be done before Beta, right?

Based on Alpha content, what percentage of the game do you think is done and how long would you guess it's going to take to be content-complete?

Comments

• Revi.ukRevi.uk Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71354Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786699:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:32 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 27 2010, 09:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should be able to give a good estimate on how much needs to be done before Beta, right?

Based on Alpha content, what percentage of the game do you think is done and how long would you guess it's going to take to be content-complete?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's hard to say at the moment with the horrible latency issues and players DDoSing the servers. This is because they can't see whether or not it's full, and there isn't anything in place to tell the player the server is full.

If the above was fixed I'd say the game is around half way complete.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    The models and textures look amazingly well done. Aside from aesthetics, it's hard to judge much else due to the laggy framerate plague.
  • Random^Random^ Join Date: 2010-07-16 Member: 72452Members
    edited July 2010
    In my opinion it's not as bad as I thought it would be, sure it's missing quite a bit at the moment, but the feel of the game play is there. The main problem is the "connection problems" once that gets sorted it will be ALOT better, it seemed alright on a stable server just needs tweaking, more stuff added to it, and it looks badass at the moment.
  • JerkstoreJerkstore Join Date: 2009-06-20 Member: 67880Members
    If you want a percentage based on time, 70%.

If you want a percentage based on how complete the game is, 30%.

If you want to know where I got these percentages from, 100%.
  • NemesizNemesiz Join Date: 2005-03-09 Member: 44519Members
    id say around 35% done, i say this due to there is alot of features missing which will make up around 40% of game features left to implement and then the other 25% is going to be improvements to netcode and stability.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786718:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:42 PM:name=Random^)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Random^ @ Jul 27 2010, 08:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786718"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->In my opinion it's not as bad as I thought it would be, sure it's missing quite a bit at the moment, but the feel of the game play is there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I guess what i'm trying to ask is 'what is missing, how much of the total quantity is missing, how does the missing quantity compare in size to the not-missing quantity' - the kind of questions that could give readers an idea of how "done" the game is from your insiders perspective, since UWE doesn't comment on that kind of subject.

Playing the alpha is a unique opportunity to judge how much has been accomplished so far, as this information is commonly obfuscated by developers. We've been speculating about this subject for months and years, and now we can finally stop speculating because we (those of you with Alpha access) have concrete facts about how complete the game is right now.
  • JbmOJbmO Join Date: 2005-07-12 Member: 55784Members
    Are you serious?

The game hasn't been out for 24 hours yet... AND its an alpha.

let the guys work.

the flayra abides
    <!--quoteo(post=1786733:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:47 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 27 2010, 09:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786733"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I guess what i'm trying to ask is 'what is missing, how much of the total quantity is missing, how does the missing quantity compare in size to the not-missing quantity' - the kind of questions that could give readers an idea of how "done" the game is from your insiders perspective, since UWE doesn't comment on that kind of subject.

Playing the alpha is a unique opportunity to judge how much has been accomplished so far, as this information is commonly obfuscated by developers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Considering the size of the development team and the fact they've gone ahead and made everything themselves they have completed an absolutely astonishing amount. This is slightly more than what I'd call an alpha; as I said earlier if there wasn't connection issues then it'd be amazing.
  • KompatriotKompatriot Join Date: 2010-01-14 Member: 70144Members
    Agreed, it's not difficult to imagine how great it would be sans the connectivity issues. There is broken gameplay but the fundamentals seem strong to me, as in after patching out the bugs and major imbalances the core gameplay should be solid.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    When they add the fade, heavy, flamethrower and dynamic infestation and they fix the actual poor performance they can go to beta and eventualy to version 1.0
  • ssjyodassjyoda Join Date: 2002-03-05 Member: 274Members, Squad Five Blue
    I'd have to agree, aside from the connection/lag issues which may be causing other issues, I'm impressed... The key thing is to make a stable system which features can be added onto, and then polish. I would like a better user interface at this time though.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786741:date=Jul 27 2010, 08:50 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Jul 27 2010, 08:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Considering the size of the development team and the fact they've gone ahead and made everything themselves they have completed an absolutely astonishing amount. This is slightly more than what I'd call an alpha; as I said earlier if there wasn't connection issues then it'd be amazing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This isn't a thread about how good or bad the Alpha is, son - there's already plenty of threads about that subject - it's about measuring progress between users since the developers don't want to reveal the official status.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    The alpha doesn't even include everything that's been finished art-wise so far. There is a lot to be put into the alpha, but the current state of things is mostly for stress testing and finding bugs. I think once everything is running a little more smoothly, and the devs put all the art that is done into the game, we will have a better idea of how much is NOT done.
  • AsranielAsraniel Join Date: 2002-06-03 Member: 724Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Retired Community Developer
    i think they got most of the artwork done (even if it's not in the alpha, we have seen animated onos etc).

So what is missing is:

engine stuff (bugfixing, optimizing)
    game code (the basics are there, but a lot is missing, but if the engine works well, that should be quite fast i suppose)
  • RehnquistRehnquist Join Date: 2009-09-01 Member: 68672Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786738:date=Jul 27 2010, 03:49 PM:name=JbmO)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JbmO @ Jul 27 2010, 03:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->the flayra abides<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

God, that movie is awful.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1786772:date=Jul 27 2010, 04:03 PM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Jul 27 2010, 04:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God, that movie is awful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

His awfulness abides.

You ARE OUT of YOUR ELEMENT!
  • V_MANV_MAN V-MAN Join Date: 2002-11-03 Member: 6217Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1786702:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:35 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Jul 27 2010, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786702"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's hard to say at the moment with the horrible latency issues and players DDoSing the servers. This is because they can't see whether or not it's full, and there isn't anything in place to tell the player the server is full.

If the above was fixed I'd say the game is around half way complete.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I would have to agree with this post pretty much.

I've not been able to play with people online yet because of the issue with not being able to see full servers but I have had a good look around on a LAN server and it looks good so far. Some stuff is missing which we were told about but I was able to run round shooting at the walls, use my flash light to light up the dark corners, jump in the Command Chair and order a Robot to go off and build a rez tower.
  • f dotf dot Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73088Members
    Overall the game is there, you can see the mechanics and the models so it's going good.

Once the bugs are removed and tonned down then will be moving towards beta very quickly. Don't expect everything to be added while game is in Alpha, will be balance and other tweeks to be made all the way through there.

For now you've got things like the hit detection and server instability to fix, if they were perfected then you could easily play this game and have an enjoyable round I've even managed to have a few games of 4v4 which were great fun for what we have. I expect the game to evolve very quickly and get into a much more playable state soon with a beta not too far off.
  • TriggermanTriggerman Graphic Artist Join Date: 2004-11-10 Member: 32724Members, WC 2013 - Supporter
    The gameplay is nonexistant at this point but from the bits and pieces you could get by running around and trying to mimic the real gameplay (that is just not working with the latency) it feels like home.
    Can't wait to get my new computer later on and when more patches start to land, then I believe it's going to be a fun ride to see how the game grows.
    <!--quoteo(post=1786760:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:00 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 27 2010, 10:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't a thread about how good or bad the Alpha is, son - there's already plenty of threads about that subject - it's about measuring progress between users since the developers don't want to reveal the official status.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Son?

You should probably take that patronising tone elsewhere it's completely unwelcome here.

It only takes one idiot to turn what was otherwise a friendly thread giving praise to UWE and discuss the current development of the game into a flame thread doesn't it.
  • RenmazuoRenmazuo Join Date: 2010-07-23 Member: 72709Members
    So far it is better than I thought it would be.

However with the lag it's really hard to tell what needs fixing and what doesn't. Once they resolve that I'm sure we can all get a better taste of what's wrong.
  • y3kflexoy3kflexo Join Date: 2003-04-04 Member: 15203Members, Constellation
    Theres no way to estimate percentage done or time to completion. Once a bug is found it may seem like a small easy fix but if it may take 2 hours to fix or 2 months. and there will be hundreds of bugs. It takes what it takes. It could be 60% done or it might only be 25% done, theres no way of knowing until it is complete. Then they will be able to look back and say "When the alpha came out wee were XX% done."
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    <!--quoteo(post=1786760:date=Jul 27 2010, 06:00 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 27 2010, 06:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786760"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This isn't a thread about how good or bad the Alpha is, son - there's already plenty of threads about that subject - it's about measuring progress between users since the developers don't want to reveal the official status.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'd say the offical status is "<b>ALPHA</b>".

It's the first release of the alpha client.

Quite frankly, you should just be happy the damn thing even starts.
  • Dank McShwaggerDank McShwagger Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67784Members
    edited July 2010
    we cant give any sort of estimation because we don't have any relevant data to base it on. once the first patch is released we can see how much work has been in done "x" amount of time and give you an estimate based on that. right now all we have a upgrade to the engine test that barely works.

<!--quoteo(post=1786772:date=Jul 27 2010, 05:03 PM:name=Rehnquist)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rehnquist @ Jul 27 2010, 05:03 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786772"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->God, that movie is awful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

how can you say that?!?! that movie is a classic!
  • BigtoyBigtoy Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 3766Members, Constellation
    It is an interesting question, the only problem is that we have no idea how much "stuff" the developers held back in the Alpha. There is most likely significantly more content in the wings that was not provided so that the results from the Alpha testing could be more focused on specific areas.

So the answer is "who knows"? It is still too early to make an educated guess.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786823:date=Jul 27 2010, 09:39 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Jul 27 2010, 09:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It only takes one idiot to turn what was otherwise a friendly thread giving praise to UWE and discuss the current development of the game into a flame thread doesn't it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

yeah, it does, and niggling pointlessly over someone's word choices will certainly get us there more quickly than otherwise. also, this thread is not for "giving praise to UWE" (LOL) it's for specifying progress.

I guess based on some of these replies I should say that we can totally ignore "bugs" for the sake of this discussion. A "bug" is a game system not working correctly, whereas I think it's more relevant to focus on game systems which are either "there" or "not there," regardless of whether they are working 100%. There are still going to be bugs in Beta, the difference is all game systems will be present - our current distance from that milestone is what i'm trying to determine.

<!--quoteo(post=1786864:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:06 PM:name=Bigtoy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bigtoy @ Jul 27 2010, 10:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is an interesting question, the only problem is that we have no idea how much "stuff" the developers held back in the Alpha<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't believe they "held back" anything that wasn't in a playable state. Of course they wouldn't release content which wasn't associated with completed systems (i.e. the Onos art is complete but it isn't game-ready, therefore it's not in the Alpha). But I think for all intents and purposes, what you see (in the Alpha) is what you get - it's representative of the current gamestate.
    so it seems as if the consensus is 30-35% which begs the question how much of the game was complete at the time when UWE announced a 2009 release date? It must have been close to 9 months ago... im genuinely curious what happened, since there is no way they would have announced a release date with only 10-15% of the game complete. So I'm guessing they had 60-70% complete in 2009 and then some gigantic unforseen problem came up, forcing them to discard most of the progress they had made. I'm wondering what happened, must be an interesting story.
  • DJPenguinDJPenguin Useless Join Date: 2003-07-29 Member: 18538Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790576:date=Aug 2 2010, 01:45 AM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Aug 2 2010, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790576"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so it seems as if the consensus is 30-35% which begs the question how much of the game was complete at the time when UWE announced a 2009 release date? It must have been close to 9 months ago... im genuinely curious what happened, since there is no way they would have announced a release date with only 10-15% of the game complete. So I'm guessing they had 60-70% complete in 2009 and then some gigantic unforseen problem came up, forcing them to discard most of the progress they had made. I'm wondering what happened, must be an interesting story.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

simply put, the large amount of SE preorders allowed them to add content to the game that they wouldn't have otherwise been able to ie. dynamic infestation
  • kababkabab Join Date: 2003-12-15 Member: 24384Members, Constellation
    80% done I think..

All the base systems are in.

Artwork is in and working...

Now its bug squashing, performance fixing and game play tweaking...

The majority of the work is complete.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->so it seems as if the consensus is 30-35% which begs the question how much of the game was complete at the time when UWE announced a 2009 release date? It must have been close to 9 months ago... im genuinely curious what happened, since there is no way they would have announced a release date with only 10-15% of the game complete. So I'm guessing they had 60-70% complete in 2009 and then some gigantic unforseen problem came up, forcing them to discard most of the progress they had made. I'm wondering what happened, must be an interesting story.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo(post=1790581:date=Aug 2 2010, 07:08 AM:name=)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ( @ Aug 2 2010, 07:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790581"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->simply put, the large amount of SE preorders allowed them to add content to the game that they wouldn't have otherwise been able to ie. dynamic infestation<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think he's referring to the fact that 8-9 months after the release date we still haven't got to the point where the game could handle the basic functionalities that would have been required for any kind of multiplayer FPS, extra content or not.

I don't want to go further on that one, since I've got no clue on game developing process. Still, I can see the point zex is making. From layman's viewpoint it sometimes looks like a sizeable mismatch.

That being said, I think it's slowly coming together now. As far as I've understood, most of the vital stuff is in the code, it's just bugged up. I'm somewhat hoping to see nice progress withing the next few months.