So now that some of you guys are playing Alpha...

2»

Comments

• Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited August 2010
    Fix the hit detection/lag issues and you'll have a pretty solid game that's probably a lot of fun to play.

Add in the other half of the content and you'll have something that's definitely fun to play.

Polish everything up and you'll have a game that's easy and intuitive and also fun to play, as well as looking damn good as well.

I'm pretty happy with where the game seems to be so far, in fact I'll probably enjoy playing the alpha as they keep adding content and fixing bugs, which is something I didn't think would be the case.
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    "playing" is a very optimistic and not realistic word of the actual interaction between NS2 and its community.
  • echsechs Join Date: 2002-12-27 Member: 11568Members, Constellation
    Alot needs to be fixed before beta I reckon, but the gameplay so far even in its basic state is brilliant.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    The game itself isn't even 20% complete at the moment. However i'd bet that the individual components are about 80-90% complete.

It's like building a space shuttle. All the parts have been designed and made, now they just need to put it all together and solve any problems that come up during. Then beta for the tuning and finally, launch ^^.

I'm sticking with Q1 2011 launch, but i'm guessing they'll pull out the big guns to finish this in time for the holiday season. Though that might be a bit overly ambitious considering the unexpected problems they'll run into (which i cannot say, then they wouldn't be unexpected :P but they will be there).
  • Luki-SanLuki-San Join Date: 2010-08-02 Member: 73424Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1786823:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:39 PM:name=Revi.uk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Revi.uk @ Jul 27 2010, 10:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786823"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Son?

You should probably take that patronising tone elsewhere it's completely unwelcome here.

It only takes one idiot to turn what was otherwise a friendly thread giving praise to UWE and discuss the current development of the game into a flame thread doesn't it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

UWE is very talented and WHAT they have given us so far is a LOT.. even for the alpha! so if it doesn't work for you (and it works barely for me but i dont complain!) just wait for the beta! dont cry about the alpha.. and dont because this is where we wait for the new versions :/
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    Guys, seriously, keep it on topic - the cliche spam about how "it's just alpha it's not supposed to work gud" has no place whatsoever in this thread. It's totally irrelevant to anything that's been posted here.
  • WeidahWeidah Join Date: 2008-09-02 Member: 64955Members
    edited August 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1786699:date=Jul 27 2010, 10:32 PM:name=zex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zex @ Jul 27 2010, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1786699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You should be able to give a good estimate on how much needs to be done before Beta, right?

Based on Alpha content, what percentage of the game do you think is done and how long would you guess it's going to take to be content-complete?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's alpha. You cant expect much from it, neither can you really say how far they've gotten. Alpha games always have so many non-functional, buggy, unfinished parts that you just get overwhelmed by it all as a player. I mean, even if I try to give a feedback right now its all the obvious things for which you don't even really need so many testers. Beta is where we'll shine, where the developers will need people to notice small things, to tune the game.

But right now you can't get an answer to your question.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited August 2010
    Just because you got the beta (like me) doesn't mean their's 100% nothing to do. And btw i hear from the people i asked in a game of NS1 today that the Alpha was unplayable so i don't think we're missing much.

And for starters i'm slightly pissed they took away the engine test build... because at least with that you could run around maps that you make and potentially work on mods in lua. So now my engine test "updated" to non-playable i.e. crippled alpha via steam auto-forced update.

===

So you can still use the tools it says, and open the model viewer and check out the new models. And open the map editor and open that tram map and encounter incredibly piss poor frames per second (gtx 285, i can play crysis comfortably and bad company 2 incredibly comfortably), and yes i realize it's been said that the map editor doesn't use the same optimizations as the full game and personally i think that has got to change because this sort of explains why some people said that the ns2 maps were so small. I mean you would need a godly computer to RUN THE MAP EDITOR to make the maps. And i flat out could not tolerate the performance i was encountering to explore the map in the editor (so that effectively cuts me out from bothering to make maps, and that definitely cuts out anyone with a graphics card lesser then mine).

Btw i asked in that NS1 game "What if someone ported the NS2 models to NS1 >:D" and everyone started to laugh. Someone said the skulk would be as big as a marine.
  • BlackMombahBlackMombah Join Date: 2010-07-25 Member: 72778Members
    I'd personally say its around 6% done, considering there's a ton of metaphysical elements for the team to get around implementing & refining such as balance, code tweaks etc. We got a couple of the first bricks already, its just how they're mortar'd and arranged later on - and these are fookin awesome bricks that we've been shown so far!

Ask me the same question about MW2 and I'd say its about 65% of the game it could have been.

And TF2 is probably 95% towards creamed and finished.

I'm just making stuff up now.
  • zexzex Join Date: 2009-10-07 Member: 68978Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1790863:date=Aug 3 2010, 02:05 AM:name=Weidah)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Weidah @ Aug 3 2010, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1790863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->But right now you can't get an answer to your question.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

on the contrary many people have answered usefully, unlike yourself, and the consensus appears to be 30% or less. i'm kind of surprised nobody else is curious about this.