$34.95

NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">New Standard Edition price</div>Bold, but not undeserved I think.

Comments

• LOLtexLOLtex Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73036Members
    Pretty expensive for an innovative (ie. risky purchase) multiplayer only FPS that probably will have little to no marketing. I think it's set at least $15 too high if they expect to have any kind of playerbase.
  • RulgrokRulgrok Join Date: 2007-04-04 Member: 60559Members
    Really LOLtex they already have over 9000 people playing the alpha.. .. so many that servers dont know what to do
  • JonnykJonnyk Join Date: 2004-08-23 Member: 30839Members
    i think most people already paid 40 :P 5 dollars off seems like good price to me.
  • cgountaniscgountanis Join Date: 2003-08-10 Member: 19314Members, Reinforced - Gold
    If they can sell DOD for that 4 years ago the price is alright. Remember no monthly fee, one time purchase for the next 2-4 years most likely. I wish I would have bought the special edition... joined this community 8 years ago... hook a brother up!
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1785276:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:41 AM:name=LOLtex)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LOLtex @ Jul 27 2010, 12:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Pretty expensive for an innovative (ie. risky purchase) multiplayer only FPS that probably will have little to no marketing. I think it's set at least $15 too high if they expect to have any kind of playerbase.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

in all honesty, i would agree. most serious NS2 fans have already preordered either the special edition (out of the goodness of their hearts) or the old standard edition. i feel like most buyers from here out will be newer players. $35 is more than i would likely pay for an indie game that i was just finding out about. granted, it's a really cool indie game.

if i had never heard of ns or ns2, and i stumbled across it, i would probably be intrigued but the thing that would convince me to spend money or not would be seeing the game in action. Problem is, the only "action" so far is going to be a crapload of really laggy, buggy alpha footage on youtube, which will scare the hell out of would-be buyers, most of whom will subconsciously decide that this isn't worth it - even if they KNOW that it's "alpha" footage.
  • morbidarmorbidar Join Date: 2010-07-22 Member: 72660Members
    Lol I put a video on there showing a couple little bugs or unfinished stuff I guess but I didn't lag so if they see mine they won't see a laggy
    game anyways haha..
  • JesusUncuTJesusUncuT Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43367Members
    they should charge 34 bucks... i mean ns 2 had a massive following by the same developers so solely off of the ns 1 players they will make bank (not that thats what its about) but these guys are doing it with minimal staff and doing a damn good job especialy from scratch.... im sure im not alone in saying ive been waiting for this day for quite awhile...

so yes 34$ is a good price... and those who didnt wanna spend 34$ on the special edition and didnt preorder will have to deal with it... they made the choice not to and now they can live with it....
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785310:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:49 AM:name=morbidar)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (morbidar @ Jul 27 2010, 12:49 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Lol I put a video on there showing a couple little bugs or unfinished stuff I guess but I didn't lag so if they see mine they won't see a laggy
    game anyways haha..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol. well, at least it's not laggy. I "played" on a few servers tonight. It was awesome to see the improvements/features they've put in since the engine test. but... ouch. ouuuch. I still experience a LOT of lag even hosting my own LAN server, so its hard for me to even notice most bugs because the lag is so terrible
  • Lemming JesusLemming Jesus Join Date: 2010-04-13 Member: 71385Members
    Too bad. I really wanted more people to try it.
  • LOLtexLOLtex Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73036Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1785281:date=Jul 26 2010, 11:42 PM:name=Rulgrok)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rulgrok @ Jul 26 2010, 11:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785281"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Really LOLtex they already have over 9000 people playing the alpha.. .. so many that servers dont know what to do<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

True, but these people paid $40 to play the alpha, possibly a year or longer before the product is actually going to be released. That's an early adopter privilege, one that I sadly missed out by a few hours. My point is, in the eyes of an uninformed consumer looking for something to buy on Steam, this game is a giant, expensive question mark. Similar "multiplayer only" games such as Red Orchestra, Killing Floor and Lead and Gold don't have an extremely large playerbase compared to something like Bad Company 2 or MW2, and even these are priced at a fairly low price point of $20 (with sales that bring them down to pennies every now and then). Bad Company 2 gets away with their $60 price point for what's essentially a multiplayer only game (no one bought it for the single player, at least I hope they didn't) because they've got years of experience behind a proven game formula that's fun. NS is proven to be a fun formula, but only to a small number of people. The fact that it's in a genre of it's own hurts and helps, because when Joe asks "well, what's it like?" you can't tell him "It's basically COD4 with vehicles and better gameplay" like you would with BC2. This is a double-edged sword obviously, because it'll both intrigue and detract people.

But my point is that, at $35, you aren't going to have too many people buying the game that didn't plan to buy it already, or at least remembered what NS was like back in the Half Life 1 days. Factor in only word of mouth marketing, which could be very powerful or nonexistent (I prefer the think the former), and you're going to end up with low sales. Sure, the game is still going to sell. But the lower prices fall, the more Joe is going to think "well, at $20, sure I could try this out. If I don't like it, it's only $20 lost". Like Joe or not, Joe's the guy that puts food on developers tables.

edit: Please don't confuse me with some newcomer, I was playing on release day, October 31st. I was heavily involved with competitive NS for a long time. I want NS2 to succeed.
  • theineffablebobtheineffablebob Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73058Members
    Wow, I thought the price would stay $20. I don't think I'm going to buy it if it sells for $35 even though I played a ton of NS1. I mean, Team Fortress 2 launched at $30 and that's the same type of game as NS2 -- a multiplayer-only competitive FPS.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    did anybody catch this?: <a href="http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1268/ns2nolongerunavailable.png" target="_blank">http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/1268/ns...unavailable.png</a>
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    It's a well deserved price, and the value is definitley there. Especially since the game is going to include mapping and modding tools, which in turn increases the potential value to be many more games for the price of one (like Half-Life, BF1942 for example)

I think sometimes players will discard a title they have never heard about if the retail price point if too low.

Now if the retail price is $35 but on a given weekend it's 50% off then that's a whole different story. Because it's not a $17.50 game but a $35 game that I can get for $17.50.

Also I think that having that "2" in the title allows for a higher price point that will intrigue players into at least reading into NS2 and even trying NS1.
  • JesusUncuTJesusUncuT Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43367Members
    i did

and as far as it being like tf2.... um no not really... ns has to rely on team tactics the same but overall gameplay is different especialy from the marine side... tf2 there is no commander no resources no reason to hold on tiny corner of the map cause you have a rt there sure there are similar characteristics... (fps aspect) but short of that it is its own monster... and thats why i like it. i just wish i could join a server lol
  • KalabalanaKalabalana Join Date: 2003-11-14 Member: 22859Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785416:date=Jul 26 2010, 11:11 PM:name=theineffablebob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (theineffablebob @ Jul 26 2010, 11:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785416"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, I thought the price would stay $20. I don't think I'm going to buy it if it sells for $35 even though I played a ton of NS1. I mean, Team Fortress 2 launched at $30 and that's the same type of game as NS2 -- a multiplayer-only competitive FPS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, but TF2 didn't require a custom engine being built from scratch. Plus it was from Valve, who knew they would sell an incredibly huge amount of copies, so the lower price point might have actually made them MORE money. Who knows. Hard to compare one of the top game developers in the world, to a new indie game.
  • Mr R0YB0T 0Mr R0YB0T 0 Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72972Members
    I am glad it is under $40. Most games are overpriced these days.
    This is the sequel to one of the best online multiplayer games ever made. Yeah that is subjective, but let me remind you that I am rarely wrong about anything ever.
    I'm fairly confident NS2 will eventually be great, but I do think they would achieve their goals faster by using a pre-existing engine and tools like UDK.
  • ItsJonoItsJono Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73053Members
    $34.95 is $5 more expensive than I thought they would charge. I feel $29.99 would be the sweet spot for this game, but i'm sure this is a case of the devs not short-changing themselves which is fine. The engine is good, the detail and quite amazing. I'm surprised a small dev team could do such a thing. Very impressive.
  • Sgt.SpamSgt.Spam Join Date: 2010-07-21 Member: 72640Members
    Once NS2 gets its crippling bugs out of the way they should do a try to do a free weekend thing through steam, i bet a lot of people would try it out, then be willing to drop $35 on it. once i tried killing floor i was in love with it and bought it. i truly hope this project succeeds.
    This is probably the only game i would happily drop $60 on
  • ItsJonoItsJono Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73053Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1785543:date=Jul 26 2010, 09:56 PM:name=Sgt.Spam)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sgt.Spam @ Jul 26 2010, 09:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Once NS2 gets its crippling bugs out of the way they should do a try to do a free weekend thing through steam, i bet a lot of people would try it out, then be willing to drop $35 on it. once i tried killing floor i was in love with it and bought it. i truly hope this project succeeds.
    This is probably the only game i would happily drop $60 on<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Killing Floor was a game designed by TripWire Interactive to raise the funds to developer their larger project, Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad :) They are also a great small dev I am excited for.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I think 35 is just hard to swallow, a few of my friends don't feel comfortable with spending that much on a indie game. They will probably wait for a steam sale now to justify a purchase.
  • NoobofthenightNoobofthenight Join Date: 2005-03-06 Member: 43837Members
    I agree, I think the price should be 25/30, certainly not 35. Having said that, I've already bought special...
  • QuadLMGkillQuadLMGkill Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72576Members
    Do you people work? NS2 is from an indie but one with a reputation built on the one of the most popular HL1 mods. It's not a shot in the dark, and they can watch over the Alpha and Beta feedback.

$29.95 might have a nicer ring to it... but $35 is nothing for what could be the best FPS to come in a long time.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    It will be harder convince some of my friends that didn't want to preorder now that it is 35
  • nsixnsix Join Date: 2010-07-27 Member: 73086Members
    I'm a long time NS fan and REALLY love the game. But after being burned by SO many small timer games on steam I am very causes about going through with another.

1) Worried that the player count will drop. One full server does not cut it.
    2) I already own too many games.
    3) I play with a group of guys. If they don't own this game, it wont be much fun going off solo without them.

The current price of $34.95 is too high for me. The old price of $19.95 was more in line with what I was willing to spend. I have been following the development of NS2 fairly close, but missed the official announcement about going to steam. For the longest time the issue was up in the air and a main consideration for my purchase. Heck I was even questioning if this game would ever be released it has been so long!

I just received a steam announcement regarding the beta. Something to the effect that beta reg ends on the very same day that I receive the announcement *retarded*. I come here to see whats up and find out that #1 I'm too late for the beta even if I wanted to pay for it. #2 Steam support is now official. #3 The price of the standard version has now basically doubled.

I'm not paying $40 for this game. Not that the devs don't deserve it. Just that without my buddies forking down the cash, it just wouldn't be as enjoyable of an experience. Especially since it was mentioned that early adopters would not be guaranteed a copy via steam.

PLEASE do a free weekend at launch as well as a 4 pack at some insane discount. 4 packs is where its at for a lot of small casual groups.

Bring on the screen caps. They are looking good!
    BTW You need a better promo video. For anyone not already familiar with the game, I don't think that any current videos really help to draw them in.
    <!--quoteo(post=1785689:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:07 AM:name=steppin'razor)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steppin'razor @ Jul 27 2010, 12:07 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785689"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It will be harder convince some of my friends that didn't want to preorder now that it is 35<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->batta bing bata boom
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    I still find it funny that people act as if NS2 feels like an indie game. It doesn't. It has the workings to shape up with any AAA title. It's just built on an indie foundation. If UWE wants to market themselves are more than indie but not AAA yet because they don't have the funds, that's their choice. However, I can nearly assure you that on release, you will definitely not feel gyped paying 35 dollars for this "indie game" as it will be content and feature wise just as large as any 50 dollar title and in a unique space.

NS2 kind of left the indie development scene awhile back with the amount of interest it has. They're more a start-up company than your traditional indie developer.
  • whoppaXXLwhoppaXXL Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58298Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    35 Dollar are quite correct in my opinion.
  • ScribblesScribbles Join Date: 2003-11-05 Member: 22323Members
    I don't think NS2 either looks, feels or pretends to be an Indie game.
  • CrapHandCrapHand Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58273Members
    edited July 2010
    I bought Special Edition about a year ago, no regrets. My computer exploded back in 2007 by a high voltage and i haven't build a new one since, due to excessive work and other life issues but STILL, i bought NS2 Special Edition right there when it was available to buy and i didn't think twice because of 2 reasons:

1) NS1 was THE SH!T
    2) NS2 will be THE FATHER OF ALL TURDS

So i was really happy to know i was able to both get Special Edition and have some future exclusivity regarding armor fashion and the fact that i had a justified reason to spend that extra cash to help the devs of this great game a little more.

No regrets, no regrets AT ALL and remember i don't even have my computer yet, NOW i'm building my pc because other than checking the usual emails, work and news i have a reason again to have a good gaming computer in my house to play NS2 :D

So soon, goodbye MW2, it will be all NS2 and Halo Reach! :D (same with Reach, $150 bucks for Legendary Edition FTW, epic games are priceless)

-=CrapHand=- or CrapHand, see you on the field ;)
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1785737:date=Jul 27 2010, 12:30 AM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 27 2010, 12:30 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1785737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I still find it funny that people act as if NS2 feels like an indie game. It doesn't. It has the workings to shape up with any AAA title. It's just built on an indie foundation. If UWE wants to market themselves are more than indie but not AAA yet because they don't have the funds, that's their choice. However, I can nearly assure you that on release, you will definitely not feel gyped paying 35 dollars for this "indie game" as it will be content and feature wise just as large as any 50 dollar title and in a unique space.

NS2 kind of left the indie development scene awhile back with the amount of interest it has. They're more a start-up company than your traditional indie developer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->NS2 can call it whatever it wants. What it wont be is an AAA game. Even if its quality surpasses a triple A title. Without a huge marketing budget and large publisher behind it I would not expect a HUGE following outside of the die hards and curios kids with mothers visa to burn a hole in.

Take paranormal activity for example. It was on the shelf collecting dust for years until a big label took it to market. Not a good movie IMO, but shows what an indie movie/game needs in order to make more than a splash.

You fan boys buy up the game and dig it all you want. The price tag and lack of marketing will not help with everyone else.

Sell NS2 at a premium and take in less customers. Or sell it for a steal and open up the flood gates.

NS rocks and NS2 looks good so far. I just need better convincing for my friends.
This discussion has been closed.