Alpha question

FroiboFroibo Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72375Members
I got the Natural Selection 2 / Overgrowth package with the idea that I would have access to the alpha.

I wanted to confirm that this was true as I see now that the basic package does not come with the alpha.

Comments

• OngreOngre Join Date: 2009-02-05 Member: 66309Members
    I remember a post of Flayra or Max saying even normal edition will have acces to alpha ... I'm kinda dissapointed too.
  • ZimbuTheMonkeyZimbuTheMonkey Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72359Members
    More people playing the alpha means more bugtesting and more reports, how is this a bad thing?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Overgrowth bundle included special edition, I dont think "regular" buyers are getting alpha
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778880:date=Jul 14 2010, 03:07 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 14 2010, 03:07 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->More people playing the alpha means more bugtesting and more reports, how is this a bad thing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because then the Special Edition would lose meaning and the reason why it's priced slightly higher.

And whiny "I want all my games free" people who aren't playing to help test and balance just make noise and don't help.
  • OngreOngre Join Date: 2009-02-05 Member: 66309Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778881:date=Jul 15 2010, 12:08 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Jul 15 2010, 12:08 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778881"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overgrowth bundle included special edition, I dont think "regular" buyers are getting alpha<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    In my case, I bought NS2 normal edition, I got Overgrowth as a gift after for free when that special package was released. Guess I'm not in the alpha ?
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778883:date=Jul 14 2010, 06:12 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 14 2010, 06:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because then the Special Edition would lose meaning and the reason why it's priced slightly higher.

And whiny "I want all my games free" people who aren't playing to help test and balance just make noise and don't help.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm glad you don't have a say in the development process.

Calm down, it's just a video game. People who have paid for the product and have legitimate access to a alpha/beta can use it however they want. Those "I want all my games free" people have paid for the access. Don't worry though, Special edition purchasers will probably have limited access for a while so you can feel superior at least for the short time being.

Tell me where it says you will get exclusive access to the alpha in this:

<i><b>Includes:
    Full version when done (via Steam)
    First access to alpha on July 26th
    Special all black marine armor whenever you play online
    Our eternal gratitude
    Unavailable after July 26th</b></i>

All these delusions of entitlement in you guys makes me want to puke.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778891:date=Jul 14 2010, 05:21 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 14 2010, 05:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All these delusions of entitlement in you guys makes me want to puke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

+1
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778883:date=Jul 14 2010, 05:12 PM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Jul 14 2010, 05:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Because then the Special Edition would lose meaning and the reason why it's priced slightly higher.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    +1 for the IDIFBA collection. Back in the day support for the sake of support used to mean so much that it meant nothing. Hats and black armour ruined all of that.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1778896:date=Jul 14 2010, 05:31 PM:name=Renegade.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Renegade. @ Jul 14 2010, 05:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778896"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->+1 for the IDIFBA collection. Back in the day support for the sake of support used to mean so much that it meant nothing. Hats and black armour ruined all of that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How does this even make sense. Are you honestly trying to say the idea of paying extra for uniqueness in a video game is a bad thing? That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever heard. UWE wants to offer incentive for people to buy the SE. In the age of achievements, individuality, and pre-and-post release specialty items, it was a perfect financial move on their part. Some people paid 20 dollars purely for support. Some people paid 20 dollars for black armor. Just because you "paid for support" does not make your money magically more valuable, or you a better person. It's 20 dollars to UWE to help them build their game REGARDLESS of the intentions and the black armor is ironically, a nice touch for someone so egotistical as yourself renegade. Who feels he needs to pound his chest and claim you're better because the days of supporting for support just aren't there anymore and you're some kind of last breed of this dying race. Get off the horse.
    edited July 2010
    I don't mind the exclusive content, as long as it is cosmetic only. I'm glad the SE will increase the company's revenue.

I just can't stand elitist jerks who think they have some god-given right to lord over the peasants who didn't spent the extra cash when all that is fabricated entirely in their own minds (nowhere does it state that the alpha access is exclusive).
  • FroiboFroibo Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72375Members
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the input guys and while I didn't mean to cause any commotion over this it makes me feel troll savvy.

I don't understand how me paying for a game and a feature that was promised to me is asking for too much.

I was more than willing to dish out the 40 dollars for the feature as I do want to support them for what I believe will be an amazing game but then the bundle came about which happened to be the same price.
    Like I said above, the SE guarantees you "First access" to the alpha, which means all users will probably get access sooner or later.
  • SlycasterSlycaster Limited Edition Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 24Members, NS1 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1778916:date=Jul 14 2010, 06:33 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 14 2010, 06:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778916"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Like I said above, the SE guarantees you "First access" to the alpha, which means all users will probably get access sooner or later.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    The Alpha will be playable to <!--coloro:#FF8C00--><span style="color:#FF8C00"><!--/coloro-->only<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> those who pre-order the Special Edition. The beta will be available to everyone else.
  • DrownDrown Underwater Join Date: 2002-12-02 Member: 10392Members
    I would totally pay another 20 bucks for some special pink armour.
    Did the devs confirm that?

Cause the way the order page is worded seems to indicate that the SE owners will get it first.

In any case, 40 bucks for two indie games is better than 40 bucks for one indie game and the alpha, I think. I'm getting the SE, but that's because I'm a sucker for the exclusive unlockables, it shames me to say.
    edited July 2010
    Its a shame I already attached the CD-KEY to my steam account or else I would of bought the SE and gifted the other to a friend.
    <!--quoteo(post=1778921:date=Jul 14 2010, 06:39 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 14 2010, 06:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778921"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Did the devs confirm that?

Cause the way the order page is worded seems to indicate that the SE owners will get it first.

In any case, 40 bucks for two indie games is better than 40 bucks for one indie game and the alpha, I think. I'm getting the SE, but that's because I'm a sucker for the exclusive unlockables, it shames me to say.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yes it's been confirmed. Also, if you look, the Standard edition does not state Alpha access whatsoever. They simply mean first as in, first to play the game. Not first in line to receive.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Overgrowth customers - Yes to alpha
    Alpha access - It goes out to the special edition orders first and at some point (let's call that point beta), the rest of the pre-orders get access.

I even double checked with Max to be sure :)
    <!--quoteo(post=1778934:date=Jul 15 2010, 12:01 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jul 15 2010, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overgrowth customers - Yes to alpha
    Alpha access - It goes out to the special edition orders first and at some point (let's call that point beta), the rest of the pre-orders get access.

I even double checked with Max to be sure :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank you :D
  • Silver_FoxSilver_Fox Spammer Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 34Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor
    oh snap.

Cyanide has some claws :O
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778891:date=Jul 14 2010, 03:21 PM:name=ZimbuTheMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ZimbuTheMonkey @ Jul 14 2010, 03:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778891"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->All these delusions of entitlement in you guys makes me want to puke.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry if I sounded pretentious.

Basically, I find that there are many times people are like "yay! early access to the game! Let's go play!" and they don't enter with the right mindset of a tester. Sure a large portion of being a tester is play the game, but you should also be willing to see that the game isn't complete, you should be looking for exploits and bugs and recreating and reporting them, and in some ways approach it almost like work. The earlier the build, the more you need to stay in this mindset and not "yay! let's go play!"

As the game builds get more complete and closer to release, I have no qualms with opening the doors to every random person. But until then, and this alpha sounds fairly incomplete (3 out of 5 Alien races), I'd rather not have random people running around going "OMG, this is stupid and lame and not polished." It's an alpha build. Deal and think of how it all fits together.
    Maybe you would sound less pretentious if you stopped making so many assumptions. No one here is complaining about how unpolished an alpha that isn't even open yet I just wanted to know if I was in it or not.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    Foibo, if you've been around here for a while you'll know exactly what Spellman means. For example, every time there's an update or an announcement people don't immediately like there is a crap load of flaming and abuse hurled around it.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778934:date=Jul 15 2010, 12:01 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jul 15 2010, 12:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778934"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Overgrowth customers - Yes to alpha

I even double checked with Max to be sure :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So Overgrowth customers paid the standard edition price for everything but black armour, or do they get that too?
  • SnougarSnougar Join Date: 2007-12-31 Member: 63301Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779033:date=Jul 15 2010, 03:41 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 15 2010, 03:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779033"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So Overgrowth customers paid the standard edition price for everything but black armour, or do they get that too?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

AFAIK, Overgrowth customers got the NS2 SE for free.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778907:date=Jul 14 2010, 06:10 PM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 14 2010, 06:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778907"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How does this even make sense. Are you honestly trying to say the idea of paying extra for uniqueness in a video game is a bad thing?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Obviously it wouldn't make sense to you because you are lost in a mindset of corporate swindle that is destroying this industry. Obviously you see nothing wrong with $14 map packs, or hats, or achievements, or wardrobes or DLC-as-patches; anything to make a quick buck at the cost of cheapening the game, who cares how the money is made right? If it were up to you, I'm sure there'd be a UWEnet with paid monthly subscriptions.

The motives behind support matter exactly when you find yourself held back because your so-called supports have conflicting motives. As another poster mentioned, if UWE were to decide alpha-access for all is beneficial, they'd be hard-pressed to implement it, because the so-called "supporters" would fight it tooth-and-nail. Not because they actually care about supporting NS2, but rather they're afraid of "losing meaning", that they won't be "special" anymore. Contrast that with supporters who support for no other reason than to align their interests with what they are supporting, and you find they harbour no attachment towards gimmicks and hats such as black armour or alpha access, and so there is nothing you could threaten them with losing, save the cause they are supporting itself.

As I've come to learn in the past, arguments from integrity are completely lost on you, your only language being money and profit. I do empathize with your condition though, as I once was there in naivety, and many still are in greed.
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1779035:date=Jul 14 2010, 10:49 PM:name=MaLaKa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaLaKa @ Jul 14 2010, 10:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779035"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AFAIK, Overgrowth customers got the NS2 SE for free.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Heck yeah.
    <!--quoteo(post=1779061:date=Jul 15 2010, 04:09 AM:name=Renegade.)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Renegade. @ Jul 15 2010, 04:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779061"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Obviously it wouldn't make sense to you because you are lost in a mindset of corporate swindle that is destroying this industry. Obviously you see nothing wrong with $14 map packs, or hats, or achievements, or wardrobes or DLC-as-patches; anything to make a quick buck at the cost of cheapening the game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You lost all credibility right there. Adding extra content to the game by man hours of work to create additional model and textures isn't cheapening the game. It's adding more to it. Nothing about the above "cheapens" a game. My how bitter the master pc gaming race is. I'm sorry you can't enjoy cheeves, it's sad you don't understand the accomplishment drive, and its doubly sad you don't understand unique identities in video games. Oh also, have fun playing your games without any content add ons in this day and age, while I go enjoy mine. You are the absolute definition of an elitist arrogant kid with no concept of the world outside of his.
    <!--quoteo(post=1779217:date=Jul 15 2010, 06:59 PM:name=Slycaster)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Slycaster @ Jul 15 2010, 06:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->My how bitter the master pc gaming race is.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What on Earth does that mean?
    <!--quoteo(post=1779218:date=Jul 15 2010, 03:00 PM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 15 2010, 03:00 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1779218"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What on Earth does that mean?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's a 4chan thing, they think they are relevant outside of 4chan so they bring over their memes too when they come and visit.