Development Blog Update - NS2 Alpha date set!

Comments

• PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778540:date=Jul 14 2010, 07:16 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Jul 14 2010, 07:16 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Standard Edition already awards Beta access. If you've pre-ordered at all, you can play from Beta onwards. The only advantage of the Special Edition is Alpha + Black Armor.

Further, anyone who hasn't already ordered the Special Edition for any reason, go and do so now! Last chance, and it will only help make NS2 a better game.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's true. Get of this page and press pre-order now! Before it is to late...

Edit:
    No Fade I see?
    Or the Onos to add to that.

Cool. It means will still have things to look forward to after the Alpha and through the Beta.
    I do hope that it is in construction though. (The fade)
  • HushHush Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72350Members
    This is great news!!!!

Ive been a long time player of NS1 for years now (playing on and off)

I really hope there will be a way to upgrade from standard edition to the special edition based off the product key. My buddy just recently bought me a preorder on the game but it was only a standard edition. DONT GET ME WRONG! I really appreciate it, I really do! But I'd love to upgrade it to the special edition for the black armor and have the ability to participate in the alpha testing. I really really hope I can do this just off the product key because I dont want to sound like a ass and go

"Hey, heres twenty more bucks can you upgrade the preorder to special edition?!?!"
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    Awesome, especially the black armor.
    But why are you discontinuing the SE now and not on beta release?
  • KarbaKarba Join Date: 2006-09-23 Member: 58040Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Gold
    edited July 2010
    omg ns2 alpha 26 july and sc2 the next day, I'm gonna go crazy that week O_o
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    Oh noes. No dynamic infestation! That's why I brought the SE version... I am joking.

I am looking forward to it!
    SC2 does look pretty good though but I already have NS2. ;)

I am guessing the screenshots are from the ~25 playtesters?

The graphics look great. The skulk looks scary. The guns look wicked. All in all this game looks Epic!
    Also, are you having lerk spikes in the game? I want to try it out. (I wasn't there when it was out in NS)
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1778542:date=Jul 13 2010, 11:25 PM:name=Hush)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Hush @ Jul 13 2010, 11:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778542"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This is great news!!!!

Ive been a long time player of NS1 for years now (playing on and off)

I really hope there will be a way to upgrade from standard edition to the special edition based off the product key. My buddy just recently bought me a preorder on the game but it was only a standard edition. DONT GET ME WRONG! I really appreciate it, I really do! But I'd love to upgrade it to the special edition for the black armor and have the ability to participate in the alpha testing. I really really hope I can do this just off the product key because I dont want to sound like a ass and go

"Hey, heres twenty more bucks can you upgrade the preorder to special edition?!?!"<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry to report that upgrades can not be done at this point :( The nanites can't even fix this one.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    aaaaaaaaaa

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

GET HYYYYYYPE
  • PampelmusePampelmuse Join Date: 2005-04-06 Member: 47641Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778422:date=Jul 13 2010, 09:49 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jul 13 2010, 09:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778422"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->DOUBLE RAINBOW<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahaha nice, made me laugh :P

srsly invent a time machine and send me to 26th july pls :<
  • rebirthrebirth Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62416Members, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Black Ninja Marine!
    IT'S A NINJA! OMG THAT'S AWESOME!

And quite an interesting choise to discontinue the SE sales after alpha release, keeping it would probably have gotten a few more sales from people that are still sitting on the fence until they hear feedback from alpha. But removing it means that buying the SE means so much more, in the end it's like a "thank you gift" to the people that bought based on their trust in UWE.

How about replacing the SE with another version... something for $30 with alpha access but no ninja marine skin?

Tbh i hate the timing... these past months i hardly had anything fun to play and now alpha is gonna release 1 day before starcraft 2.... i need a clone to keep up with all the playing.
  • heWantedMeToChangeMyNameheWantedMeToChangeMyName Join Date: 2009-10-22 Member: 69115Members
    Man oh man.

You guys really suprised me with this one, and I'm boiling over with excitement! Though it's not done yet, it is a spectacle how far it's come.

Congrats on your work so far, and I look forward to whats to come!
  • DeeDee Canada Join Date: 2002-12-15 Member: 10836Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    Have to echo the comment about hoping that performance has improved since the engine test. The engine test was a mite painful to play due to the performance. I don't suppose you've managed to build some sort of performance and/or usability profiling system into the alpha. Something like that would probably be invaluable to not only gather empirical data but to validate user feedback. "NS2Player says that room X in map Y is slow, and the feedback engine confirms that players in that room experience a significant FPS drop compared to the rest of the map." I know that a system like this, an engine in an engine, would've required significant time and resourcing but it would be the bee's knees.

Oh, btw, as bad-ass as the black armour is, I'm LOVING the refinery skybox behind the rine. Simply outstanding!

As always keep up the good work!
  • HushHush Join Date: 2010-07-14 Member: 72350Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778551:date=Jul 14 2010, 01:38 AM:name=Comprox)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Comprox @ Jul 14 2010, 01:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778551"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry to report that upgrades can not be done at this point :( The nanites can't even fix this one.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:'(

I guess Ill have to droll over videos of gameplay then.
  • PricePrice Join Date: 2003-09-27 Member: 21247Members
    edited July 2010
    Good to hear but its weird there not every race in it, just with placeholders.
    Anyway im excited to test it.
    Update:
    <!--sizeo:4--><span style="font-size:14pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><b>But one thing is very confusing, why there is NO Dynamic infestation?!?!</b><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    Glad I bought the special edition barely an hour after the pre-order first went live. I know the $ helped us get this far. I know what I'll be doing on the 26th...

BTW, black armor looks sweeeet. I'm sure I'll cherish it a couple years from now after it becomes legacy.
  • xposed-xposed- Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62412Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1778562:date=Jul 14 2010, 02:53 PM:name=Xerond)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Xerond @ Jul 14 2010, 02:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778562"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Glad I bought the special edition barely an hour after the pre-order first went live. I know the $ helped us get this far. I know what I'll be doing on the 26th...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did the same as soon as I woke up, I wanted to make sure I got the special edition before it went unavailable. Boy, good thing I rushed.. would of missed out.
  • botelhoruibotelhorui Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58192Members
    more time to alpha, disapointed. and no fade or onos? bah.... good i went to sleep and didnt wait for this update
  • xx3nvyxxxx3nvyxx Join Date: 2007-08-26 Member: 62000Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Is there going to be a server binary included?
  • XerondXerond Undefined Join Date: 2004-07-09 Member: 29817Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1778563:date=Jul 14 2010, 01:54 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Jul 14 2010, 01:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778563"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I did the same as soon as I woke up, I wanted to make sure I got the special edition before it went unavailable. Boy, good thing I rushed.. would of missed out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It wasn't about missing out, its about supporting UWE. =P
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778543:date=Jul 14 2010, 02:25 AM:name=Razagal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Razagal @ Jul 14 2010, 02:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778543"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Awesome, especially the black armor.
    But why are you discontinuing the SE now and not on beta release?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe they need the money?

Maybe they don't want the forum post of 1 person that didn't like the alpha, to make others not order the alpha?

Maybe they want to secretly give the alpha to all those that preordered (both standard and special), but they don't want to let that secret out until a day after the special edition is no longer available, so they can get the max number of special edition orders? (evil... i love this variation >:D)

Maybe they are afraid that when "90%" of your community has the "special" black armor, that maybe it isn't so special anymore and the inverse occurs where classic green IS elite.

Maybe none of this really matters in the long run when i'm running my elite clientside skins that make everyone look like a green power ranger or white clone trooper, while playing an incredibly stable + full featured beta?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    Pre-order now or you cant alpha pretty much, again giving very bad image as if theres something wrong and aim for last spike of pre-orders.

Lets hope they keep their promise about alpha this time.
  • TSSTSS Join Date: 2010-05-11 Member: 71716Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778569:date=Jul 14 2010, 08:04 AM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Jul 14 2010, 08:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778569"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Maybe they need the money?

Maybe they don't want the forum post of 1 person that didn't like the alpha, to make others not order the alpha?

Maybe they want to secretly give the alpha to all those that preordered (both standard and special), but they don't want to let that secret out until a day after the special edition is no longer available, so they can get the max number of special edition orders? (evil... i love this variation >:D)

Maybe they are afraid that when "90%" of your community has the "special" black armor, that maybe it isn't so special anymore and the inverse occurs where classic green IS elite.

Maybe none of this really matters in the long run when i'm running my elite clientside skins that make everyone look like a green power ranger or white clone trooper, while playing an incredibly stable + full featured beta?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe they just want to draw a line for the "early adopters".

alpha's going to be the public start of the game (the engine test isn't a game, it's an engine test). You can't say you where with it from the beginning when you start playing after the beginning :p

On a seperate note:

WOO! ALPHA! gives me 2 weeks to prepare my map into a playable state. guess late nights for me too ^^.

On a seperate note:

Screw starcraft 2. Even if it releases close to NS2, we all know play as we might we are never ever ever going to beat the koreans in that game. atleast in NS2 you still have a shot at beeing the best.
  • RideRide Join Date: 2003-11-11 Member: 22511Members
  • intruderyintrudery Join Date: 2010-04-11 Member: 71337Members
    -black armored marines making ambush for some lerks :D
    any other benefits of this armor if we not counting color?
  • ZenothZenoth Join Date: 2003-11-12 Member: 22662Members
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    simply .. thx! cn't w8!!!
  • ExplosifBeExplosifBe Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58284Forum Admins, Playtest Lead, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Pistachionauts, Retired Community Developer
    Meh, I wanted that office WebCam so badly... Guess this will do. :p
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778579:date=Jul 14 2010, 08:34 AM:name=ExplosifBe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ExplosifBe @ Jul 14 2010, 08:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778579"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Meh, I wanted that office WebCam so badly... Guess this will do. :p<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

hahaha, I'm pretty sure there are other websites that can provide the services I assume you desire :P

on a less uncomfortable note...OMG ALPHA EXCITED!!! I call being the first to get eated by a sk0lk.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    nice work UWE~!!!! :D

i'm guessing it will come out on steam automatically? and i'm guessing there will be some kind of DEDICATED server functionality?
  • alibialibi Join Date: 2009-11-20 Member: 69445Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1778575:date=Jul 14 2010, 04:51 PM:name=intrudery)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (intrudery @ Jul 14 2010, 04:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1778575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->-black armored marines making ambush for some lerks :D
    any other benefits of this armor if we not counting color?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

e-peen
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Black Armour is just awesome. It's going to become <b>legendary</b>.