World of Warcraft

Comments

• X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    Lolfighter feels *really* strongly about this particular issue.

Speaking as someone who's barely played WoW, and never even been on the forums except for when I've been linked to something lolworthy on there, is this really that big of an issue? Would it be particularly hard for people who don't like it to move to another forum? Is there anything that 100% needs the blizzard forums rather than just "anywhere I can post"?

As an example, recently the Richard Dawkins forums <a href="http://realityismyreligion.wordpress.com/2010/02/23/locked-entry-will-open-soon/" target="_blank">went through a pretty big issue</a> that systematically pissed off basically everyone except the mods (the dawkins forums were important to a very large amount of people, if only because it was a way for atheists in countries that frown on atheism to hang out), so people just abandoned it and set up their own.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    This shouldn't be in a WOW topic. It won't affect wow until Cataclysm. It will affect SC2 on July 27th. Also, if you care about Diablo III, this is coming your way too.

I won't be posting on the official SC2 forums. The sad thing is, neither will most of the people who generate anything resembling a decent discussion, particularly the people who seem to provoke blue responses. And my battle.net account already has my real name attached to it, from my wow payment details, so there's no way for me to create a fake persona for this.
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1777402:date=Jul 8 2010, 12:21 AM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Jul 8 2010, 12:21 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777402"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This shouldn't be in a WOW topic. It won't affect wow until Cataclysm. It will affect SC2 on July 27th. Also, if you care about Diablo III, this is coming your way too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I disagree, it has a lot more of an impact on the 5+ year old community for WoW than the so-far beta only community of SC2, regardless of which one goes forward with these changes first.

Starting a community from the ground up with lowered privacy is okay, telling people that they have to choose between their privacy and a community they've been a part of for over 5 years is not.

As for things that are needed, the blizzard forums are the only place where we can actually give feedback on the game, along with report game-breaking bugs/exploits and is one of the main places to get customer support outside of the game.

Futhermore, the realm specific forums are a major hub for socializing, finding guilds, selling extremely rare items, organizing groups for obscure tasks, setting up community run events. It would be very hard to get an entire realm to agree to move to one specific location, and even then, new people would need to be informed somehow.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. I chose sometime ago to start using my real identity online, whether it be my full name or simply my first, for the desire to reflect on myself a more "professional" vibe. This meant that:
    1. People will know who I am, whether that be John Doe, the guy who just flamed me for killing his hard earned starship over and over again, or whether that be future employer I Haz Internetz Incorporated.
    2. If I say something I had better own up to it.

People seem to think that being anonymous on the internet somehow makes them safer than not being anonymous offline. You can walk down the street and get gunned down just as easily as someone on the internet, who just so happens to not appreciate you killing his starship that costed him a lot of virtual money, can track you down and exact his revenge.

The internet is a way to escape for a lot of people though. Bad day at work? Take it out on everyone else (without retribution) on your online game. Feeling put down by societys unwritten rules? Swear your mouth off at younger kids in your online game! Deviant? No problem. Express yourself, and no one will know its you. So why is this acceptable? Why have we said, "You know Bob, you can talk about murdering children as long as its online. Talking about that in real life just won't do." (and would probably net him in jail/with a psychiatrist.) There are a lot of other ways to "escape" though. Music, writing, etc.

I think there are many valid reasons why you would want your identity kept secret. Trying to take down a fascist government, would be a great reason. Wanting to hide your identity in a video games forum because you like to troll hardcore on people, isn't one of them. Now I'm not saying that everyone who has a nickname online is always going to want to troll or say/do something stupid, but does owning up to your words and actions really not benefit everyone? The Internet is quickly becoming an extension of our reality and should no longer be suitable for the people who want to use anonymity to do mischief... especially if that mischief is only being done because they weren't loved enough as a child and feel they need to take it out on the rest of the world. Bottom line is, if you can't say/do something on the internet that you wouldn't do with your real name stamped on it, then why bother? And if you can honestly say that you can say/do anything that you've done on the internet with your real name backing it up, then what is the point of hiding behing the nickname?
  • ANeMANeM Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16267Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777417:date=Jul 8 2010, 01:47 AM:name=Dalin Seivewright)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dalin Seivewright @ Jul 8 2010, 01:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777417"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this. I chose sometime ago to start using my real identity online, whether it be my full name or simply my first, for the desire to reflect on myself a more "professional" vibe. This meant that:
    1. People will know who I am, whether that be John Doe, the guy who just flamed me for killing his hard earned starship over and over again, or whether that be future employer I Haz Internetz Incorporated.
    2. If I say something I had better own up to it.

People seem to think that being anonymous on the internet somehow makes them safer than not being anonymous offline. You can walk down the street and get gunned down just as easily as someone on the internet, who just so happens to not appreciate you killing his starship that costed him a lot of virtual money, can track you down and exact his revenge.

The internet is a way to escape for a lot of people though. Bad day at work? Take it out on everyone else (without retribution) on your online game. Feeling put down by societys unwritten rules? Swear your mouth off at younger kids in your online game! Deviant? No problem. Express yourself, and no one will know its you. So why is this acceptable? Why have we said, "You know Bob, you can talk about murdering children as long as its online. Talking about that in real life just won't do." (and would probably net him in jail/with a psychiatrist.) There are a lot of other ways to "escape" though. Music, writing, etc.

I think there are many valid reasons why you would want your identity kept secret. Trying to take down a fascist government, would be a great reason. Wanting to hide your identity in a video games forum because you like to troll hardcore on people, isn't one of them. Now I'm not saying that everyone who has a nickname online is always going to want to troll or say/do something stupid, but does owning up to your words and actions really not benefit everyone? The Internet is quickly becoming an extension of our reality and should no longer be suitable for the people who want to use anonymity to do mischief... especially if that mischief is only being done because they weren't loved enough as a child and feel they need to take it out on the rest of the world. Bottom line is, if you can't say/do something on the internet that you wouldn't do with your real name stamped on it, then why bother? And if you can honestly say that you can say/do anything that you've done on the internet with your real name backing it up, then what is the point of hiding behing the nickname?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See; here is the funny thing about this, its that I've yet to see anyone legitimately supporting the change. I've not seen anyone say "Yeah, this is a great thing, blizzard should be commended for doing it" only, "Why don't you want your name shown? What have you done wrong?" "I show my name, you should too. Its no big deal" "If you don't like it, don't post" or best of all "You're just as likely to die from something else so why does it matter even in the worst case scenario"

To me these arguments simply hold no water for me.

First of all: 'What have you done wrong?'
    I love these arguments because their entire focal point is implying that the opponent has in fact, done something wrong. Guilty until proven innocent, Its funny that you mention taking down a fascist government as a good reason for privacy, because I really have a hard time thinking of anything that screams police-state as much as "You don't need privacy as long as you've done nothing wrong"

You go even further by imply that someone who does want to keep their name to themselves must be a deranged pervert.

Surely, however, there must be other people who wish for privacy.
    Victims of sexual assault, sexual abuse or stalking for example, have a very very clear claim to privacy. Furthermore, they have just as much right, if not more, to a community, even if it is just the online forums for an MMO. A support net, no matter how detached, can mean everything to a person in need. You point out that terrible things can happen to people for no reason, just out of the blue, for no fault of their own, and these are people who know that fact better than you will ever know. They should not have to choose between a much needed escape or a much needed sense of security.

Other, more "real world" examples would be people who have more sensitive careers.
    Doctors, lawyers, government workers, teachers can all lose their jobs due simply to accusations.
    Furthermore, lawyers and politicians have to deal with things said or done by their families, something as uncontrollable as having a son who is bipolar can wreck a career or campaign.
    Likewise, the families have to watch what they say or do under the fear of either ruining the careers of someone close to them or being disowned.
    Teachers have it even worse, they literally can not at any point say anything in a public place that could be considered offensive to children, even in places where children are flat out not allowed. I'm not talking deranged perversion, I'm talking normal person stuff. Having consensual sex with their heterosexual partner stuff. Hell, if they are in a homosexual relationship they're pretty much screwed even if they don't say anything about it.

These are people who are core parts of our society, who put a lot of time and effort into getting where they are, and have to deal with being held to unreasonable standards at all times, and in the case of teachers, crushing debt from 6+ years of school, horrible pay and many many hours of unpaid overtime every week. I do not think it is unreasonable for them to want to be normal people occasionally and talk about stupid things like killing dragons in a videogame online occasionally.

Now for the second argument: 'I show my name, you should too. Its no big deal'
    Congratulations, you probably don't fit into one of the categories of people who would want to keep their names to themselves online. Thats great, there is nothing wrong with that. However, that doesn't really give you the right to try to argue against the people who feel they need that privacy, or make you any better/self-confident than them.
    You wouldn't go up to Stephen Hawking and try to make the argument that, because you have legs and use them to walk, and that he also has legs, that the solution to his problem is to simply use his legs to walk. It doesn't work like that.

Yes, lots of people use their real names online these days, a lot of them to help build a credible online persona. There is nothing wrong with that, but thats not something everyone wants to do. If I was interested in a field based around creating online content I'd use my real name online. I'm am not however interested and do not want to use my real name online. I shouldn't have to tell people my name to interact with them. Sure, in real life its polite, but no one forces me to do it there, and if people are insistent I can always lie...

Which brings me to the third argument: 'If you don't like it, don't post'
    You know, this actually is a valid argument some of the time. In the example of communities such as facebook, that have always used or encouraged real names this works. If don't like how the community is run, don't join. That is a sentiment I can get behind. However, in the case of the WoW forums this does not work at all. For one thing, our real names were given under the pretense of a security measure, as blizzard requires visual verification of your identity in order to restore access to a compromised account. Since my drivers license does not read Mr Fakey McButtstomp it seemed imperative to use my real name. These names, for the sake of security are subject much to the same requirements of account restoration, as one needs to require proof of their actual legal name being changed before blizzard while change it. So, we handed out our names with the assumption they would never be shown publicly, and out of fear that, should our accounts be hacked they would be lost to us forever.

Now however we are being told these names will now be used as public identifiers in the community and that if we do not like that we must leave the community that some of us have been a part of for over five and a half years. This is simply unreasonable. Furthermore, there has been no reason what-so-ever as to why account specific aliases are not being used instead of real names, as with such a system there would be no worries about privacy and much fewer issues of being overly anonymous as players would no longer be able to simply create a new identity at the push of the button, rather would need a whole other copy of the game and second active subscription to be able to "hide" from their main alias.

Last is 'You're just as likely to die from something else so why does it matter even in the worst case scenario'
    Really?
    <b>REALLY?</b>
    This is the most unbelievable argument against the opposition I've seen, and yet for some reason its just as prolific as the other 3.
    I'm just as likely to be shot on the street as I am to die from chewing on toys manufactured in China and suspected to contain lead. It doesn't make me feel any safer as I'm gnawing away madly at counterfeit Elmo. A company should never do something that could cause unreasonable harm to their customers. Sure, a company that specializes in skydiving will have a level of potential harm much higher than a company that sells videogames, but they still go through extensive training, certification and equipment checks before doing anything. Even then, they have a number of redundancy checks including extra parachutes and experienced skydivers strapped to their clients.

The system they have currently is subject to abuse, however the system they have proposed is more flawed than the original could ever be. They're replacing the experienced skydiver with a glass jar of mayonnaise and wondering why people don't feel comfortable strapping it on, theres no reason for it to be there and its just going to hurt someone.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777344:date=Jul 8 2010, 02:38 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Jul 8 2010, 02:38 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777344"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->maybe, but facebook and whatnot are a totally different thing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Are they really? I've read/heard about divorces, people being fired and kids being terrorized by other kids trough these networks... Simply because they post stuff on there about themselves that could be harmful to them or insulting to others... Heck they even post pictures of their family on there...

Yet when they hear about something like this, people always go with the flow of of the masses saying: "OMG I WANT MY PRIVACY!!!" And tend to forget they use these friends networks in a completely none-private way...

Not having the option to choose though, that is what's wrong with this one (but the is always the choice not to post, but yeah that is kinda a forced one in some cases)
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777439:date=Jul 8 2010, 03:30 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jul 8 2010, 03:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are they really? I've read/heard about divorces, people being fired and kids being terrorized by other kids trough these networks... Simply because they post stuff on there about themselves that could be harmful to them or insulting to others... Heck they even post pictures of their family on there...

Yet when they hear about something like this, people always go with the flow of of the masses saying: "OMG I WANT MY PRIVACY!!!" And tend to forget they use these friends networks in a completely none-private way...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Everything you've just written only serves as further proof why Real ID is a really bad idea, frankly.

There's another issue that I saw someone write about yesterday, and quite frankly I'm embarassed that I didn't think about it earlier, considering my background. No software designer would ever considering using the user's real name as a unique identifier. How will I be able to tell apart John Smith from Leeds and John Smith from Glastonbury, considering I don't know they're from Leeds and Glastonbury respectively? How will I be able to keep the fifty or five-hundred or however many John Smiths there are apart? Each of them is (with apologies) The Real John Smith, but which John Smith is the swell guy I raid with and which John Smith is the foul-mouthed ###### who keeps insulting my parentage?
  • esunaesuna Rock Bottom Join Date: 2003-04-03 Member: 15175Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1777349:date=Jul 8 2010, 02:09 AM:name=Scythe)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Scythe @ Jul 8 2010, 02:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777349"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am both shocked and surprised. Yesssirree.

--Scythe--<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It was because of naming and shaming, i posted a nice long list of level 80's in t8 (max at the time) and the names of their alts. I killed the alts, all the same level range as me while levelling an alt, some higher, some lower, and each one got on their 80 to come corpsecamp me.

Turns out Blizzard really don't like naming and shaming.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777439:date=Jul 8 2010, 02:30 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Jul 8 2010, 02:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777439"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yet when they hear about something like this, people always go with the flow of of the masses saying: "OMG I WANT MY PRIVACY!!!" And tend to forget they use these friends networks in a completely none-private way...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah... except not everyone actually uses facebook and the like. For example: me :p
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    People are making a way too big deal out of this. Sure, you could find the employees that work at blizzard, just LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN CREDITS. I'm in there too, by the way.
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1777506:date=Jul 9 2010, 09:57 AM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Jul 9 2010, 09:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People are making a way too big deal out of this. Sure, you could find the employees that work at blizzard, just LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN CREDITS. I'm in there too, by the way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, I stalkered your real name out of the Burning Crusade credits when you were giving out SC2 keys. I was going to send you flowers but the trail dried up.

I'm on the side of optional anonymity. There's a million very good reasons to not to have your real name displayed on a public forum, it definitely should not be mandatory.

It won't affect me, I don't post on the WoW forums anyway. I suspect a lot of people will be adopting this policy.

--Scythe--
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777506:date=Jul 8 2010, 04:57 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Jul 8 2010, 04:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People are making a way too big deal out of this. Sure, you could find the employees that work at blizzard, just LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN CREDITS. I'm in there too, by the way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Okay, I'm not looking to be rude about this, but what I want to do with my goddamn privacy is my business. And if Blizzard is going to continue to have ###### support that just refers you to the forums over and over on a 5 hour long wait just to talk to a ###### human being on a Wednesday morning, you can't then say "It's your choice to post on the forums or not." No, it isn't. You're forcing our hand. On top of that, this will effectively kill opinion and debate by anyone who <i>isn't</i> a troll.

This is a big ###### deal. This is among the 'biggest' ###### deals, as it deals with one of the founding principles of the internet and a company telling us we're being paranoid or scare-mongerers for perhaps wanting to choose ourselves when and where we tell others about ourselves, especially in a system and way that is just Blizzard showing a huge amount of immaturity themselves, considering that the change is not about 'trolls' whatsoever, as if Blizzard wanted to change that, they could try <i>actually enforcing their own ###### rules</i>.

I'm someone who spends a lot of time on those forums, and I endeavored for a long time to make them a better place. Blizzard understaffed the forums by at least 10 or 20 and didn't enforce the rules they did have correctly.

They asked for this uproar.

Edit: And yes, I'm quitting the game if the decision isn't reversed by 4.0. I know I'm not alone, as about half of my RP group is doing the same.
    <!--quoteo(post=1777509:date=Jul 9 2010, 01:45 AM:name=Quaunaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quaunaut @ Jul 9 2010, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777509"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Okay, I'm not looking to be rude about this, but what I want to do with my goddamn privacy is my business. And if Blizzard is going to continue to have ###### support that just refers you to the forums over and over on a 5 hour long wait just to talk to a ###### human being on a Wednesday morning, you can't then say "It's your choice to post on the forums or not." No, it isn't. You're forcing our hand. On top of that, this will effectively kill opinion and debate by anyone who <i>isn't</i> a troll.

This is a big ###### deal. This is among the 'biggest' ###### deals, as it deals with one of the founding principles of the internet and a company telling us we're being paranoid or scare-mongerers for perhaps wanting to choose ourselves when and where we tell others about ourselves, especially in a system and way that is just Blizzard showing a huge amount of immaturity themselves, considering that the change is not about 'trolls' whatsoever, as if Blizzard wanted to change that, they could try <i>actually enforcing their own ###### rules</i>.

I'm someone who spends a lot of time on those forums, and I endeavored for a long time to make them a better place. Blizzard understaffed the forums by at least 10 or 20 and didn't enforce the rules they did have correctly.

They asked for this uproar.

Edit: And yes, I'm quitting the game if the decision isn't reversed by 4.0. I know I'm not alone, as about half of my RP group is doing the same.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sorry for being unclear. What I meant is that employees posting their real names is not such a big deal. I don't mind people being upset about having their names out.

I couldn't care less for our players tho. Why not have an option in there?
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    It's kind of sad to see Blizzard clash with the community so much since the start of SC2's beta. It's like they're trying to reinvent the wheel but keep doing it wrong. Even though I'm probably one of the players who won't be affected by this (since I don't post there), it's hard for me to imagine who'd come up with such an idea.. and worse, who would allow it to be implanted. Part of me agrees with the "just don't post there", but I mean, seriously, real names? People freak out when their email or IP address are being exposed, and IMO that's nothing compared to someone's name.

Good point about the Support Forum too, Quaunaut, didn't think about that. The sad thing is, it'll probably end up in the EULA that you agree to use the forums to get technical support, and by agreeing to that you agree to reveling your real name.

Hopefully they'll go back on some of their recent ideas. Hell, if they just used a main nickname for the account, everybody would be happy. No?
  • QuaunautQuaunaut The longest seven days in history... Join Date: 2003-03-21 Member: 14759Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1777517:date=Jul 8 2010, 07:41 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Jul 8 2010, 07:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sorry for being unclear. What I meant is that employees posting their real names is not such a big deal. I don't mind people being upset about having their names out.

I couldn't care less for our players tho. Why not have an option in there?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think that if you want to have the option to put your real name out there, that's why your forum software has a signature section.
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    Keyword here is option. Why not add optional privacy settings? "Take no privacy options or leave the forums" seems pretty dastardly. Blizzard has a right to do this, obviously, I just don't see the upside to it. They're just going to worry everyone who's every been paranoid about their online privacy that this is some kind of slippery slope to corporate evil.

What's the gain? Where is this going? That's what everyone is wondering. Seems like a pretty obvious "shooting themselves in the foot" scenario, but I guess we'll see.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    The reason it's not optional is that it wouldn't serve the intended purpose then.

It's still a retarded idea though.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777517:date=Jul 9 2010, 04:41 AM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Jul 9 2010, 04:41 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777517"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I couldn't care less for our players tho.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think this came out the way you intended it.

Edit: Don't miss what Penny Arcade has to say on the topic today. Facebook. ######, ######-GARGLING FACEBOOK. We should've known.
    Edit 2: And don't miss <a href="http://www.metafilter.com/93492/But-my-name-really-is-Deathblood-Blackaxe#3171416" target="_blank">this</a> either. I got the link off Penny Arcade, but I want to make sure you see it.
    Edit 3: Hitler doesn't like it either.

<div align='center'><center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/qiauaGbxipA"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/qiauaGbxipA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center> <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiauaGbxipA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiauaGbxipA</a> </div>
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777506:date=Jul 8 2010, 07:57 PM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Jul 8 2010, 07:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777506"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People are making a way too big deal out of this. Sure, you could find the employees that work at blizzard, just LOOK AT THE GOD DAMN CREDITS. I'm in there too, by the way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love you forever for giving me SC2 but Blizzard is 100% in the wrong on this. If you think this is a good idea then you have not fully thought out all of the ramifications. With the exception of possibly fewer trolls there is nothing good that can come of this but a <i>whole lot</i> of bad. Is Blizzard confused and did they get their April Fool's joke timing wrong?

I was uncomfortable with the RealID system before this name-on-forum change and now I think it's completely outlandish. The reasons why this is bad are almost limitless and people who've said "lol this is no big deal. You're over reacting, here's my name. Try to find me!" have been called on forums and been called at work / home / etc within half an hour from complete strangers online.

I have a fairly common name and at this point all I can do is hope no one in my state with my name will post anything stupid. I'd hate for that to come back on me if any employer decides to get fancy with google (which isn't too hard too do).

At this point I'm not going to say I refuse to buy SC2 but the thought is crossing my mind. My most strict rule on the internet is to never reveal anything about my actual life and this violates that rule in an amazing way. The best part is that it even violates Blizzard's own forum TOS. Morons.

The most scary thing is that this RealID has been a progression. At first it was just your friends you chose in game, then facebook was brought in, and now your name is on forums. Blizzard will plan on implementing chatrooms in SC2... I wonder what name will be used there...
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    It should be noted that Panigg did clarify himself (sorta :P) and meant that the blizz employees having their names exposed isn't a big deal as they are already available. Customers having an issue with it he sees no problem with.

I'm kinda annoyed by the entire thing.

I don't like the system. I will not be posting on the forums, and I will not be using Real ID in game.

However, it isn't the end of the world, as much as everyone seems to want it to be.
    I really doubt blizz will be forcing us to link our in game presence to Real ID, much like I'm fairly sure they will never cross the line with RMT.

Blizz is a huge, smart company, they know when and where they can toe the line, but they also know what will break it.
    I don't think anyone's making this out to be the end of the world, and I find it a bit crass of you to call it that. The implication of "find something more important to whine about, nerds" is there even if you didn't intend it.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    This is a good thread by the way:

<a href="http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=134327" target="_blank">http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessag...topic_id=134327</a>

Be sure to unclick the spoiler to open up the links to various countries' govermental agencies.

Also, this is probably the only reason why Blizzard is forcing real names: <a href="http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/zeroday/2010/07/07/is-korean-law-driving-policy-at-blizzard/" target="_blank">http://blogs.law.harvard.edu/zeroday/2010/...cy-at-blizzard/</a>

If someone says "this isn't a big deal" past this post, and it they live in the united states, I'd love for you to post your full first and last name. With certain <a href="http://www.spokeo.com/" target="_blank">websites</a> it's beyond easy to quickly access personal and up to date phone numbers, addresses, family members, etc. I feel like calling some people out, literally, who insist this isn't anything to worry about.

Am I a crazy guy who wants to kill you? Maybe. Am I a ###### who wants to endlessly harass you at work? Maybe. Am I a stalker who wants to speak to your children or parents? Maybe. But if it's not a big deal then you have nothing to worry about.

By the way, I seriously will call you. It will take me less than a half hour. Keep this in mind before you drop lines like "you're overreacting" or "it's not big deal."
    *orders endless pizzas for SentrySteve*
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    You come to the UWE forum, you follow the UWE rules. You go to the Blizzard forum, you follow the Blizzard rules. In all honesty, if you don't like it, don't post there, it's that simple. The Internet is not a democracy, they're providing a service that you pay for, but nobody is making you pay for it or use it in that manner. But whilst you keep your subscription active, you condone the activity.

And it might just mean their forums will stop being the laughing stock of a cesspool they generally are.
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777564:date=Jul 9 2010, 09:56 AM:name=Shockwave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shockwave @ Jul 9 2010, 09:56 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You come to the UWE forum, you follow the UWE rules. You go to the Blizzard forum, you follow the Blizzard rules. In all honesty, if you don't like it, don't post there, it's that simple. The Internet is not a democracy, they're providing a service that you pay for, but nobody is making you pay for it or use it in that manner. But whilst you keep your subscription active, you condone the activity.

And it might just mean their forums will stop being the laughing stock of a cesspool they generally are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are problems even if you don't post on their forums. For example, people with common names could be confused with poorly mannered posters. Posts a child makes may be under their parents name due to the name on the credit card. More importantly, this may actually be illegal. They gathered this data before releasing how they were going to use it and countries do have privacy laws on the internet that companies cannot ignore.

/edit: There is also a pretty big liability for Blizzard here too. God forbid a crazy person takes an online dispute to the next level and kills someone. If it can get linked back to the fact that he got his victim's name from Blizzard's forums they'd be in some serious trouble. I won't pretend to know the law inside and out, and I hope none of you do either, but in a civil lawsuit I imagine a lawyer could easily convince a jury that Blizzard would own some of the blame, regardless of whatever 'policies' Blizzard has, because the victim made a thread in technical support titled "Why aren't my macro's working?"
    Yeah Shockwave, god forbid we should ever voice our disagreement with a policy we don't like. How DARE we give them the chance to rethink their stupid decisions?! How DARE we voice our displeasure?! We must be ###### MAD or something!
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    I was actually pointing out that I think it is a serious thing, and I do hope that blizz backs down (though I REALLY doubt it). However, the amount of chaff that is being tossed out by the community in general is getting discouraging, and a pain to find any actual info when wading though the massive amounts of garbage.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1777564:date=Jul 9 2010, 01:56 PM:name=Shockwave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shockwave @ Jul 9 2010, 01:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777564"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And it might just mean their forums will stop being the laughing stock of a cesspool they generally are.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

How do you propose we clean up the UWE forums? Follow Blizzard?
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited July 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1777575:date=Jul 4 1776, 10:45 AM:name=Thaldarin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thaldarin @ Jul 4 1776, 10:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777575"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How do you propose we clean up the UWE forums? Follow Blizzard?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->You could stop posting.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
    I've been unclear in my previous posts, I blame the heat wave. (35 and up... I'm melting.)

What I'm saying is that employees names are already public and it's not a big deal to find them in RL.

Why the decision was made to reveal the real name of everyone is beyond me, but that link with the article about south korea might be true.

I just know that my bosses are very smart people and they don't make decisions like that on a whim. And no, we didn't get an explanation as to why this is either, internally I mean.