World of Warcraft

1121314151618»

Comments

• ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody's near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1815633:date=Dec 13 2010, 08:15 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Dec 13 2010, 08:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shock you starting a new character or rolling with an old, levelled one?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    1. You'd end up on Jaedenar with Sublime & Co.
    2. You'd get bored at L25ish.

Let's not pretend here sherpa that any other result is possible. :)
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815637:date=Dec 13 2010, 10:34 PM:name=Kouji_San)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kouji_San @ Dec 13 2010, 10:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815637"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Use reverse psychology :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Use scathing sarcasm. "Hey guys, I have a great idea: How about we never ever use any CC and wipe for hours on end! That sounds fun! ###### yeah!"
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    edited December 2010
    I once touched WoW.

First thing after getting out of tutorial zone I get harassed by someone spamming "Duel me!" who was 10 levels above me.

He followed me for an HOUR, killing everything I was trying to kill to get XP while continuously spamming his challenge.

<center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvdf5n-zI14"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gvdf5n-zI14" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>
    That's rather amazingly bad luck.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    And yet, it would be a bald-faced lie to say that ######s are rare in WoW.

The worst thing about multiplayer games is the other players.
  • SvenpaSvenpa Wait, what? Join Date: 2004-01-03 Member: 25012Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1815806:date=Dec 14 2010, 08:25 AM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Dec 14 2010, 08:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815806"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And yet, it would be a bald-faced lie to say that ######s are rare in WoW.

The worst thing about multiplayer games is the other players.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, and actually killing someone just sends them a manageable distance away to get back to their ######heading. Probably the only reason I liked EVE. Death could actually hurt.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Not like there's a report feature or anything.
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1815864:date=Dec 14 2010, 10:54 AM:name=Monkfish)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkfish @ Dec 14 2010, 10:54 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815864"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Not like there's a report feature or anything.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yah, that behavior earns you a stay in banland.

The problem is that it doesn't fix the problem for the new player.
    I still call it bad luck though. Yes, there are ######heads aplenty in WoW, but I've never had one follow me around persistently being an ###### for an hour like that. Most ###### are easily sewn shut with /ignore.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited December 2010
    /ignore works though, to some extend. Killing of your quest mobs is still a harassment technique used by them tards..
    I've never had it happen to me. Was Svenpa very unlucky, or was I just really lucky?
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1815912:date=Dec 14 2010, 04:10 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 14 2010, 04:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815912"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've never had it happen to me. Was Svenpa very unlucky, or was I just really lucky?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Unlucky.

WoW is one of the largest games out there, the majority of the players are perfectly fine people. As is always the case,the minority of ######wads have a much more visible presence then all those normal people. So yah, crap like that happens, but it isn't that commons, especially because those people do get bans.
    edited December 2010
    I agree that it most likely was some very bad luck. I'm trying to not badmouth the game because of it, but these kind of things stick to you in certain ways.

In retrospect I should had reported, but I was fresh out the oven and didn't really know of this particular feature (first mmo aswell) nor did I suspect such...<i>passion</i> in annoying my socks off.
    I'll admit that the hours of JAW-WRENCHING boredom I spent in Eve over my four-day trial tainted my opinion of that game. First impressions: You don't get a second chance to make one.
  • TalesinTalesin Our own little well of hate Join Date: 2002-11-08 Member: 7710NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators
    So, rolled a new character for Cata, and decided to depart from my usual Priest/Druid decision, and finally build a tank. Bear that in mind; this is my first time with plate, so if my experiences are more normal than I'm realizing, let me know.

- Less than 38 hours of play time, and I just hit 50. This includes a lot of idling.
    - Tank means Prot to me. No Fury or Arms points thanks to the new talent system. Still hitting for 1700+ crits on regular occasion.
    - Un'Goro Crater is a joke; I'm guessing the difficulty was ramped WAY down. Taking on 2-3 level 55s as a 48 and not having to stop to heal afterward was just sad, compared to the old zone where if you accidentally drew aggro from anything you didn't mean to, you were DEAD.
    - Even worse was attacking a 54GE Devilsaur Tyrant (at 49), fighting for a solid minute, not getting any hits in due to the level disparity, and just walking around killing other stuff with the big guy trying to wail away, but having his damage output entirely nullified by occasional uses of Victory Rush on whatever happened to be nearby.

Has ALL the difficulty EVER been entirely moved to endgame content, in the interests of getting new players up to speed ASAP? Or is a prot/plate warrior simply that ridiculously durable? Oh, and...

- Heirlooms SUCK on a PvP server. Turn a level-wise even fight into a consistent one-sided slaughter. Especially so with Hunters. Getting one-shotted with 3100 health and almost 50% damage reduction by a lower-level Hunter is just annoying... the first three times. After that, it just makes you want to curbstomp someone.
    edited December 2010
    Regarding Svenpa's first introduction:

I, personally, wasn't saying that he did anything wrong. I don't expect new players to know how to deal with harassment. I don't expect a player who's first introduction to the game is some asshat ganking his quest mobs to NOT turn around and leave.

That all said, Svenpa's situation isn't as common as people would make it out to be, however, if it happens at all it's a bad thing, and it would be nice if the game helped new players know how to deal with said asshats.

As for Talesin and leveling?
    1-60 is ridiculous these days. The XP you get from killing/questing is amazingly high. The difficulty for the first 10 (iirc) levels has been knocked to the floor. And on top of that, tanks are OP. Tanks tend to have similar (if not better) damage output to other classes for 1-60 (60-70 it lowers some), and the survivability of tanks is also just insane. Both my paladin and warrior leveled as prot, and my DK leveled as frost then blood (post 4.0).

The problem with PvP isn't heirlooms though, it's just that PvP is horribly unbalanced at low levels. BoAs are not THAT better than the gear you would get from questing/dungeons (I have often run into gear that was better than my BoAs for a level or 2, but in the end the BoAs are just farm more convenient). During specific level zones hunters and rogues are both putting out far more burst damage in PvP then they should. I have been leveling a hunter and taking him into BGs kinda regularly and fights are fairly binary for me. Either I catch some one at range and they die, or I get teamed up on and die after taking out 2-3 of them.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Hehe, remember that gear combo which allowed a twink to be more then 100% evasive :D

Not even a lvl 70 could do anything to them!
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    I find experiences like Svenpa's kinda curious. I've never had trouble with people to that level, but then again I do know how to handle most players I come across :3
    It reminds me of when a friend and I were asked about our experiences in Neocron and his description was something like "it was antisocial; nobody talked to me and had to play solo the whole time." I gawped at him, unable to comprehend that he was talking about the same game where I'd had a conga line of people help me out by pushing my immobilized down the street to the nearast storage when I exceeded my carry limit :p

That said, the first time I tried horde, I walked out of my starter crypt and was immediately descended on by a group of 4 super high level guys who tried to chat me up (I make even undead look good :3 ) Well... two of them did, one just stood in front of me breathing heavily a lot. They kind of followed me around trying to help me until I made my excuses and left them to go meet up with an alliance friend who had also made a hordie (the reason I'd bothered to try in the first place :p )

If you ever get a duel harasser like that again just say "what? You're 10 times my level, do I look suicidal?" and that's usually enough for most of them :D
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I think we all know why your experiences are so different, Gem.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1815659:date=Dec 13 2010, 09:41 PM:name=Shockwave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shockwave @ Dec 13 2010, 09:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1815659"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. You'd end up on Jaedenar with Sublime & Co.
    2. You'd get bored at L25ish.

Let's not pretend here sherpa that any other result is possible. :)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:D

Still never made it past 25!