whats UWE going to create after NS2?

13»

Comments

• SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I would like UWE produce something completely different from NS1 using the existing Spark engine to show the engine's versatility. Preferably outdoor based.
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    They might do something like FEAR or Doom. They've spent some time putting good lighting tools in NS2. Nothing says horror genre like good lighting.

Would a high polish single player horror game be a first for independent games?
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777000:date=Jul 5 2010, 04:01 PM:name=yourbonesakin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (yourbonesakin @ Jul 5 2010, 04:01 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Would a high polish single player horror game be a first for independent games?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    well maybe not "high polish" but its pretty good for an indie game <a href="http://www.penumbragame.com/" target="_blank">http://www.penumbragame.com/</a>
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776996:date=Jul 5 2010, 03:34 AM:name=nNyxx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nNyxx @ Jul 5 2010, 03:34 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PROTIP: EA Publishes Valve games :3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    EA _distributes_ the retail Valve games. Valve publishes it's own games and handles the online distribution through Steam.

And yeah, EA is pretty terrible too.

In addition the the usual Blizzard and Valve duo, I think JoWooD/Dreamcatcher, Eidos and Interplay/Bioware have published most of my favourite games. Shame that JoWooD usually publishes interesting, somewhat innovative games that nobody hears of. Arx Fatalis and Silent Storm are prime examples of that.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I can imagine three indpendent games

* Aireal (counting space)
    * Naval (on and below water)
    * Racing (your average driving game)

which are feed back to NS2 as DLC.
  • Sephiroth2kSephiroth2k Join Date: 2002-04-21 Member: 481Members, Constellation
    I think a larger-scale FPS/RTS is an obvious next step, so whether UWE goes with
    the expected or not who knows.. I think it would be sweet though. Go with ever-
    yone's long-held request of big outside maps with no slowdown issues.

I also don't think UWE would ever rush to put out Premium DLC. With such a large
    fanbase and fandeveloperbase, it would take away from the user-generated
    aspect of modding and mapping NS2 IMO, one of the basic goals of the game..
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1777047:date=Jul 5 2010, 09:24 AM:name=Sephiroth2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sephiroth2k @ Jul 5 2010, 09:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1777047"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think a larger-scale FPS/RTS is an obvious next step, so whether UWE goes with
    the expected or not who knows.. I think it would be sweet though. Go with ever-
    yone's long-held request of big outside maps with no slowdown issues.

I also don't think UWE would ever rush to put out Premium DLC. With such a large
    fanbase and fandeveloperbase, it would take away from the user-generated
    aspect of modding and mapping NS2 IMO, one of the basic goals of the game..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I honestly expect a Halo Wars version of NS eventually.

Althought not as crap as that game.

NS already has the Lore and the perfect setting for it, makes sense.
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    I doubt "larger" is the plan. I think it is more realistic to say that they'll be looking to build up their revenue steam and make up for all the engine development time. That means "Quantity" and "Quality" which doesn't leave room for big projects. I expect average sized projects, created quickly one after the other to capitalise on having a working engine of their own.

However, that's not to say they'll turf out some awful games for the sake of cash. UWE have a great attitude and pride when it comes to their products, so I fully expect they already have a list of awesome ideas stored up for follow up products.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    They'll just make enough money with NS2 so they can instantly retire after an addon or two (and casually patching the game ofcourse).