whats UWE going to create after NS2?

Comments

• JibrailJibrail Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67200Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1775770:date=Jun 22 2010, 03:27 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 22 2010, 03:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some? Who's not staying? D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    u didnt know? Charlie fired everyone...

Charlie u should consider something doing a small but lotz of fun DLC game, sell it on steam and XBLA it would be a nice start before going into a full scale game
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775778:date=Jun 22 2010, 01:26 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Jun 22 2010, 01:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775778"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Charlie u should consider something doing a small but lotz of fun DLC game, sell it on steam and XBLA it would be a nice start before going into a full scale game<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    like zen of sudoku ? :P
  • InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1775770:date=Jun 22 2010, 02:27 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Jun 22 2010, 02:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775770"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Some? Who's not staying? D:<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There are people working on NS2 on a more or less contract basis, and several of us are outside North America. It's pretty likely that some of us would have moved on by the time the next project gets underway.

I think Charlie is also suggesting that some of the team would start looking into the next project whilst the majority get on with supporting NS2.
  • valkiuzvalkiuz Join Date: 2009-07-07 Member: 68066Members
    Battle Space : Natural Selection 3

am thinking of battlefield but in ns3 hahha

Epic battle between marines and aliens would be freaking awesome

Marines get tanks

Aliens get bigger? can go underground ?
  • TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775752:date=Jun 22 2010, 01:45 AM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 22 2010, 01:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I imagine some of us will start working on the next project but we plan on supporting NS2 for a long time (ala NS1).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Happy to hear this, game will never be good enough on release it will need patches to fix bugs and fit the balance to be long aged.
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776277:date=Jun 27 2010, 06:57 AM:name=schkorpio)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (schkorpio @ Jun 27 2010, 06:57 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776277"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->like zen of sudoku ? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I said something fun :D
    a side scroller something like contra would sell, hell if they do it right they could sell it on psn,xbla,DS,PSP,Iphone.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1775752:date=Jun 21 2010, 11:45 PM:name=Flayra)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flayra @ Jun 21 2010, 11:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775752"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I imagine some of us will start working on the next project but we plan on supporting NS2 for a long time (ala NS1).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hopefully you'll charge for some of the support, I'd rather pay for expansions and things if they add good content than just download loads of work for nothing.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1776309:date=Jun 27 2010, 06:09 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Jun 27 2010, 06:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776309"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hopefully you'll charge for some of the support, I'd rather pay for expansions and things if they add good content than just download loads of work for nothing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yeah, I'm ready to pay for some special expansion editon, if they treat the competitive part well.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    I don't really mind what they put in expansions, there's lots of things you could expand the game into, you could make a left4dead-ish coop mode, or a more conventional marine vs marine battlefield-type game, or even a pure RTS version. Basically anything you could mod into the game except you pay for the quality, you buy one of them and you get a good quality gamemode to play. As long as you don't saturate the game with dozens of them so nobody owns the same ones and therefore can't play online, that'd be a pretty reasonable way of getting some money for the post-release work, as well as prototyping any new ideas UWE might want to try in a later game.

As long as it's good quality and of interest to me I'm quite happy to pay for it.
    edited June 2010
    I wouldn't mind to pay for an expantion pack, but I can't help it but to think that in that case happens it will only split the community.
    allso I was wondering if we could get an estimation from devs on how many copies are sold up to this date ( engine test impact )?
  • DaggialDaggial Join Date: 2005-03-04 Member: 43187Members
    the worst thing i've ever seen in videogames i that ###### every-year-release-wasting-community-game like CoD, that's just stupid and useless, cause every release is just an updated game instead of a new one.

the only reason they do it is to get more money from the players who buy it everytime (without getting anything new in change)
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776314:date=Jun 27 2010, 11:40 AM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Jun 27 2010, 11:40 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776314"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wouldn't mind to pay for an expantion pack, but I can't help it but to think that in that case happens it will only split the community.
    allso I was wondering if we could get an estimation from devs on how many copies are sold up to this date ( engine test impact )?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Let's face it tho, an expansion pack will probably not split the community as much as the custom mods people will be creating will. Everyone will acquire a preferance to a certain mod and will stick with that in most cases. I will try and stick with vanilla NS2 as much as I can tho.

Don't get me wrong I support the easy modding of this game since it's awsome and I've seen what can be done by an average joe programmer in Gmod with lua programming. But I do believe it will serve to splinter the community quite a lot. I can only hope most servers will recognize this and stick to vanilla NS2

back on topic, I sure wouldn't mind NS3 or a true natural selection strategic game with a buttload of more units thrown in, big hunking tanks and what not for the marines and bigger still alien lifeforms than the onos to counter these tanks. But that might bring us too close into Starcraft territory but meh.

Then again I wouldn't mind some form of a tribute game to Titan Quest, like a spiritual successor, loved that game.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    Is an expansion really as bad of a community splitter as people seem to think? As long as it's avaible through same means as NS2, isn't published too early and has reasonable play value in comparsion to the price, I can't see it having that dramatic effect. Meanwhile the advantages of bigger update are enormous at best and I think NS2 could benefit quite a bit from it.

Take Starcraft for example. Brood War added medic, creating an opening for a whole new branch of Terran strategy. Ultralisks received upgrades, suddenly making them far more viable part of the zerg army. Lurkers and Dark Templars added a plenty of depth in the form of invisibility detection. All those were made because they could take their time watching how the game develops in bnet and then start figuring out the solutions and improvements instead of trying to predict the ins and outs right at the development phase of the original game.

NS2 is a little similar pioneer to FPS/RTS combination as SC was to RTS multiplayer. I'm definitely in favour of having an expansion if (and when) there's any need for reworking the game structure in a bigger scale.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1775550:date=Jun 20 2010, 05:03 AM:name=JAmazon)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JAmazon @ Jun 20 2010, 05:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775550"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I fear its too late, CnC has already reached the level shovelware in my mind :(<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

C&C Renegade was one of my favorite games for a long time, but that has nothing to do with C&C ....

and C&C Generals is the only Command and Conquer I liked and it was done by EA or at least published by them (or am I wrong ?)
    the only thing that pissed me off a little was the poor ranking system (anyone remember that everyone used to disconnect if he was matched against the "wrong" General in Zero Hour ...) and the failure of patching (C&C Generals released first patch: increase Tunnel Network build time by 200%, because it was IMBA FAST, next Patch decreased build time again, because +200% was waaay too slow; now here comes the obvious EA part: C&CGenerals: Zero Hour released and guess what the v 1.0 did reset all the balance patches of the prequel so they patched the tunnel network in the exact same way as before first +200% than decreased again ... retarded EA)

UWE should force Bluebyte to give up on their hollow promises to create a not so ###### sequel for Z and recreate Z, with some nice twists, I guess Dungeon Keeper style unit control would be cool to use to snipe out Robots out of their tanks.
  • Matt ReganMatt Regan Join Date: 2008-03-23 Member: 63946Members, Retired Developer, NS2 Developer
    I was going to continue my studies in underwater basket weaving after NS2. Might make a Facebook game based on my studies.
  • JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776518:date=Jun 30 2010, 01:47 PM:name=Matt Regan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Regan @ Jun 30 2010, 01:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was going to continue my studies in underwater basket weaving after NS2. Might make a Facebook game based on my studies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Will twitter be a minigame within the game?
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I wanted to suggest an <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eroge" target="_blank">eroge</a> once, just for ###### and giggles.
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1776518:date=Jun 30 2010, 04:47 PM:name=Matt Regan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Regan @ Jun 30 2010, 04:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was going to continue my studies in underwater basket weaving after NS2. Might make a Facebook game based on my studies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As long as you have integrated twitter support so you can tell all your friend's how much you have completed, and as long as you offer value-added services like upgraded underwater looms with automatic weft bending, it will surely be a hit!
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1776518:date=Jun 30 2010, 08:47 PM:name=Matt Regan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Regan @ Jun 30 2010, 08:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was going to continue my studies in underwater basket weaving after NS2. Might make a Facebook game based on my studies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm going to make a documentary about some crazy dude who does underwater basket weaving and his failed attempts to make a successful facebook game based on that. It will be both funny, poignant and kind of sad, and I'm hoping to get an oscar for it.

--Cory
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm going to make a documentary about some crazy dude who does underwater basket weaving and his failed attempts to make a successful facebook game based on that. It will be both funny, poignant and kind of sad, and I'm hoping to get an oscar for it.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Powerful, powerful stuff.
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776533:date=Jun 30 2010, 10:42 PM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Jun 30 2010, 10:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776533"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm going to make a documentary about some crazy dude who does underwater basket weaving and his failed attempts to make a successful facebook game based on that. It will be both funny, poignant and kind of sad, and I'm hoping to get an oscar for it.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

21 years later ( 1 year after NS2 release ), ohh man I am a big fan of yours really emotional movie, really glad when he figured out that in order to get rich he must go underwater to create a facebook game about basket weaving , and its sad when he losses all that money in the end on hook##s.
    I allso loved the special effects in the end when he commit suicide, how all the blood splatter on the wal.. ohh wait
  • yourbonesakinyourbonesakin Join Date: 2005-08-06 Member: 57682Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1776518:date=Jun 30 2010, 03:47 PM:name=Matt Regan)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matt Regan @ Jun 30 2010, 03:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776518"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was going to continue my studies in underwater basket weaving after NS2. Might make a Facebook game based on my studies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank god Craft (Underwater Basket Weaving) was nerfed in DnD 4e. Way too overpowered, imo. Only problem is, they left Craft (Basket Weaving) untouched. Wtf, Wizards of the Coast?
  • ForlornHopeForlornHope Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18675Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited July 2010
    Considering a lot of the time went into the development of the 3D engine and the dev tools, it is highly likely that the follow up project is going to use them or they'd have wasted money. If they decided to do something else and then come back to the engine later, the technology will likely have deprecated and again they'd lose out.

So I suspect a FPS with a lesser slice of RTS with a good idea behind it so they can develop it quickly and get it out the door to earn some money off Steam.

That's my prediction anyway! :P
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They should make a really good NS2 singleplayer a few years down the road for a solid retail release, bundled with the multiplayer of course.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776633:date=Jul 2 2010, 12:05 AM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Jul 2 2010, 12:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776633"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They should make a really good NS2 singleplayer a few years down the road for a solid retail release, bundled with the multiplayer of course.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

man if it is taking them this much to do the multiplayer, trust me doing singleplayer with their team/budget is not a good idea, at least not anytime soon.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Thus "down the road"
  • posenmanposenman Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65618Members
    edited July 2010
    An MMO! We need Flayra and co. to do to the mmo genre what they did to the fps.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776960:date=Jul 4 2010, 01:25 PM:name=posenman)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (posenman @ Jul 4 2010, 01:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776960"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->An MMO! We need Flayra and co. to do to the mmo genre what they did to the fps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I can see it now. A glorious FPS/RTS/RPG fusion made into an MMO. We'll call it World of Natural Selection.

How about every time Unknown Worlds makes another game, they just add on another genre?

Eventually we'll have something with 15 genres.
  • nNyxxnNyxx Join Date: 2004-02-04 Member: 26046Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1775527:date=Jun 19 2010, 09:27 PM:name=Wunschkind)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wunschkind @ Jun 19 2010, 09:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1775527"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So, you want "NS 2014" to have...
    - no servers (P2P!)
    - less features (streamlined!)
    - 2 maps upon release (but you can buy DLCs!)

oh, and the community is going to call it "natural lagfest"

Great! I love EA, best company in the world. ;)

Let's rather hope Valve buys them and releases NS3 in 2020 ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    You sir seem to be thinking of Activision.

PROTIP: EA Publishes Valve games :3
    <!--quoteo(post=1776996:date=Jul 4 2010, 11:34 PM:name=nNyxx)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nNyxx @ Jul 4 2010, 11:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776996"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You sir seem to be thinking of Activision.

PROTIP: EA Publishes Valve games :3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually, EA is pretty terrible. Activision may be as well, but EA is still pretty terrible.