Fade ability.

JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
edited June 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
<div class="IPBDescription">To be used with Blink.</div><a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfCvyMY_o-Q&feature=related#t=06m23s" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfCvyMY_o-Q...elated#t=06m23s</a>

Would allow a Fade to single out a Marine and seperate him from the group, and then either kill the Marine right there, or retreat and then re-Blink back onto the teleported dragged Marine.

A true Hit-and-Run class.

=D

Comments

• JimydJimyd Join Date: 2003-02-08 Member: 13289Members
    I only propose this though if the Fade has lost his Acid Rocket or Metabolize ability.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    hmm... that is actually a rather good Idea. the Fade is now the aliens assassin anyway, but tell me, how should we control it? how should the marines counter it?
    It would be just like the ability in the video, which this is what I mean by this:

If you were to literally to grab the Marine directly in front of him(with his crosshair centermass) on you, he would still be able to shoot you. Would expecially suck if he had a Shotgun if he did that.

Best use would be to grab the Marine from the side/back.

Once grabbed the Fade can then Blink away to where he wants, and then use Grab again to release the Marine. The Fade would auto-release the Marine if energy runs out or if the Fade hits Nerve Gas. HEXOs can't be grabbable because of the weight. JPs yes.

On release a short 1/4-1 second stun on the Marine could be useful, only if the Fade had grabbed from behind and had been squeezing the Marines arms hardest possible.

The Marine can't switch weapons while grabbed from any direction, due to his arms not being free.

Whether or not the Marine should be allowed to shoot is balance, and whether or not that the Fade should only be able to grab from the Back and Side of the Marine.

Think like the TF2 Spy on where you can stab enemies, anywhere from the back 180 degrees should only work I think.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Just as long as if a fade grabbed a jp'er from behind I can toast him.
  • darktimesdarktimes Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63247Members
    how do you designate the place where you want to teleport too? set a checkpoint? wouldn't that be too powerful? you could drop the marine among 5 skulks and repeat, repeat, repeat without much trouble.
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1774583:date=Jun 12 2010, 02:27 PM:name=darktimes)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darktimes @ Jun 12 2010, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->how do you designate the place where you want to teleport too? set a checkpoint? wouldn't that be too powerful? you could drop the marine among 5 skulks and repeat, repeat, repeat without much trouble.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your answer will come in the Fade reveal, since we do not know how Blink operates yet.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    edited June 2010
    hah that would be fun !

1. you could set up a teleport return location beforehand.

2. then go and grab a marine, teleport out. return to the location set above :)

3. and for added effect the corpse is automatically teleported back to the marine group where it the marine was stolen from - to freak them out :D

so generally you'd set up your return location in a pile of OC's or even over a pit of lava :P

BALANCE?
    1.you'd need to make it so that the marine has no armor, and maybe needs to be parasited first. This would also make the marines try to weld each other more, as well as freak out when they get para'd

2. or you can only attach to a marine that is facing away from you. and maybe any damage you take makes you leave the marine behind - but you still teleport

it would be kind of like devour but not stupid and annoying

actually even if grabbing the marine wasnt' part of it, it would still be cool being able to return to a location of your choosing when you needed to. it would really complement blink ability
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    The idea seems to have a lot in common with the old lerk lift. Except the OP's idea is definitely OP'd or missing a downside of the ability for the Fade (which would make it suck bad for marines). Teleport marines out of group? with stun? At least Skorpio has the right idea to add weaknesses.

Actually it would be interesting if the FADE got a brief stun or period where he can't attack after the teleport. Then he would have to rely on his teammates help to kill the marines or fight it out with a brief disadvantage.

I also like the idea of having to set a rally point before hand like UT's translocators. And like those if the beacon (Like some tiny egg stuck on the floor/roof/wall) is destroyed and fade tries to use the ability he would just die and marine would be unaffected.
    <!--quoteo(post=1776094:date=Jun 24 2010, 07:26 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Jun 24 2010, 07:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776094"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The idea seems to have a lot in common with the old lerk lift. Except the OP's idea is definitely OP'd or missing a downside of the ability for the Fade (which would make it suck bad for marines). Teleport marines out of group? with stun? At least Skorpio has the right idea to add weaknesses.

Actually it would be interesting if the FADE got a brief stun or period where he can't attack after the teleport. Then he would have to rely on his teammates help to kill the marines or fight it out with a brief disadvantage.

I also like the idea of having to set a rally point before hand like UT's translocators. And like those if the beacon (Like some tiny egg stuck on the floor/roof/wall) is destroyed and fade tries to use the ability he would just die and marine would be unaffected.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I said from behind only, like if you were to hug someone from behind and wrapped your arms around their arms.

From the front you would reach over their shoulders and pull them in.

I propose the Marine can still shoot, so grabbing from the front is risky. The stun after teleporting would include a mini-slash when releasing the Marine. As the Marines regains his focus(lore wise).

This would work with the new Blink.
  • sasuke2490sasuke2490 Join Date: 2010-06-12 Member: 72034Members
    good idea all they might have to do is let fade tele through a wall he is currently looking at to the other side and add a particle or sprite effect or sumtin. not to sure how much work this might be though.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2010
    I am worried about the Blink of the fade, it was the one alien ability that was clumsy and inaccurate and did not have that 'flow' that added to gameplay (imo).

Seeing Fades warping around the place, and having a ghost on the HUD could look really bad, but this is not the main issue (see post after dashes below).

Why not have it so that on right click, the fade drops some kind of 'goo' that shimmers (similar to the acid spit of the spitter in L4D2 but smaller) and when the fade needs to get out of the action, he/she can instantly teleport to that position. This 'goo' could be welded off by marines, so a fade would have to be sneaky about where he left his exit spot, probably further away from the action than usual.

It would also give some great opportunities, maybe the goo 'slowely' appears on the floor over a period of 10 seconds or so. So if you are being chased, you can drop, run round the corner, then time a spawn behind your attackers.

Or you could drop it behind enemy lines and wait until people are away from them before returning to attack. Or a marine could wait next to it in ambush, when a fade teles out of the action. In which case, a fade could also fake drop and kill someone waiting.

If the above became imbalanced, you could make it so the fade could only drop exits near alien structures/ on top of infestation/away from marine grid/structures.

I think this would add more to the game, than what some people might think take it away.

-----

I think this game is going to be similar to what TF2 did to TF. It is a more successful game, but it has given a greater understanding to roles. The problem I see on these forums is devout followers making suggestions that often favour them, rather than the market audience and at the end of the day, sales for Unknown worlds and the ability to make a profit. Games need to be as 'human centered' in understanding and playability as possible. Not simple, but give understanding.

The whole bunny hop issue, it is favoured by the top percentile who are 'very' good at it. What they do not understand is how the (guesstimate) 70% or so of casual players (and largest market) are the ones who will suffer, and therefore not purchase the game or enjoy it.

CS/TF2/L4D2 are all games that reward the player by being simple to learn and hard to master. This brings me on to the whole team play issue as well. The above games force you to work as a team, L4D2 more so by making it impossible to complete without your online friends, even on public serevrs. Things like bunny hop/(or blink for current version of ns) nerf this, because it gives 'solo' player elite skills to a 'team based' game. I think this is counter productive, because in stead of supporting team mates, people tend to run off and take on people by themselves and forget they have a commander/team/etc.

I am not suggesting NS2 should be like L4D2, as L4D2 requires players to be very close to one another, and constantly looking out for one another. But as a game with a lot of different roles and differences, getting people to understand that they 'NEED' to work as a team through the way they play is going to be 'VERY' difficult, unless you perhaps limit the roles of the original classes or enhance the reasons for working together. Something that the skill of blinking and bunny hopping takes away from public games, because a very good player can go it almost alone and win the match for a team, but leave regular players confused or at a loss on their role in the team.
    edited June 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1776200:date=Jun 26 2010, 03:09 AM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Jun 26 2010, 03:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776200"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am worried about the Blink of the fade, it was the one alien ability that was clumsy and inaccurate and did not have that 'flow' that added to gameplay (imo).

Seeing Fades warping around the place, and having a ghost on the HUD could look really bad, but this is not the main issue (see post after dashes below).

Why not have it so that on right click, the fade drops some kind of 'goo' that shimmers (similar to the acid spit of the spitter in L4D2 but smaller) and when the fade needs to get out of the action, he/she can instantly teleport to that position. This 'goo' could be welded off by marines, so a fade would have to be sneaky about where he left his exit spot, probably further away from the action than usual.

It would also give some great opportunities, maybe the goo 'slowely' appears on the floor over a period of 10 seconds or so. So if you are being chased, you can drop, run round the corner, then time a spawn behind your attackers.

Or you could drop it behind enemy lines and wait until people are away from them before returning to attack. Or a marine could wait next to it in ambush, when a fade teles out of the action. In which case, a fade could also fake drop and kill someone waiting.

If the above became imbalanced, you could make it so the fade could only drop exits near alien structures/ on top of infestation/away from marine grid/structures.

I think this would add more to the game, than what some people might think take it away.

-----

I think this game is going to be similar to what TF2 did to TF. It is a more successful game, but it has given a greater understanding to roles. The problem I see on these forums is devout followers making suggestions that often favour them, rather than the market audience and at the end of the day, sales for Unknown worlds and the ability to make a profit. Games need to be as 'human centered' in understanding and playability as possible. Not simple, but give understanding.

The whole bunny hop issue, it is favoured by the top percentile who are 'very' good at it. What they do not understand is how the (guesstimate) 70% or so of casual players (and largest market) are the ones who will suffer, and therefore not purchase the game or enjoy it.

CS/TF2/L4D2 are all games that reward the player by being simple to learn and hard to master. This brings me on to the whole team play issue as well. The above games force you to work as a team, L4D2 more so by making it impossible to complete without your online friends, even on public serevrs. Things like bunny hop/(or blink for current version of ns) nerf this, because it gives 'solo' player elite skills to a 'team based' game. I think this is counter productive, because in stead of supporting team mates, people tend to run off and take on people by themselves and forget they have a commander/team/etc.

I am not suggesting NS2 should be like L4D2, as L4D2 requires players to be very close to one another, and constantly looking out for one another. But as a game with a lot of different roles and differences, getting people to understand that they 'NEED' to work as a team through the way they play is going to be 'VERY' difficult, unless you perhaps limit the roles of the original classes or enhance the reasons for working together. Something that the skill of blinking and bunny hopping takes away from public games, because a very good player can go it almost alone and win the match for a team, but leave regular players confused or at a loss on their role in the team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Umm... this thread was not a Blink thread, TOTAL FAIL.

Way to not even be on topic at all.

Like wow.

And your suggestion makes Blink clumsy and useless to use in quick response. /endofthat

Classic example of someone reading the last sentence of the latest post by the OP.

<!--quoteo(post=1776154:date=Jun 25 2010, 12:47 PM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ Jun 25 2010, 12:47 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1776154"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This would work with the new Blink.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

:DOUBLE-DOUBLE FACEPALM:
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    It's within the same area...

But +Internet points to you for acting like a little brat on the internet rather than just pointing it out or recommending I post it as a new topic.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1774554:date=Jun 12 2010, 02:35 PM:name=IeptBarakat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (IeptBarakat @ Jun 12 2010, 02:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1774554"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just as long as if a fade grabbed a jp'er from behind I can toast him.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Your thinking NS1 when fades were fast, and now to quote the twitter on the front page:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Re Fade blink: the plan is to show a context-sensitive "ghost" Fade for where you will blink to, <u>instead of hyper-speed Fade from NS1</u>. #fb 2 days ago<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There you have it. The fade will <u><b>NOT</b></u> be the "hyper-speed Fade from NS1".

Have a nice day :D
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    It will teleport instead of flying about. As in, instead of flying behind the jetpacker, it will just appear behind. Think Nightcrawler.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    I'd love this ability just so I could blink Marines to weird places and leave them there.

The gameplay value is dubious but it's griefing potential is astronomical.
  • social3ngin33rinsocial3ngin33rin Join Date: 2010-10-18 Member: 74498Members
    That teleport ability seems way too over powered
    I can see people organizing ambushes.
    Each person locks onto a different marine.
    Teleport...whole squad dead, now jump away