Human Interface

2»

Comments

• Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1769655:date=May 4 2010, 08:11 AM:name=Jimyd)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jimyd @ May 4 2010, 08:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you can build a gaming rig for $300(PS3 is superior) that isnt used parts? (That can run recent graphic intensive games. Not another peggle remake. Counter-Strike 1.6 and Half-Life are pretty easy to run nowadays too. Heck even my crappy Vista Laptop can run CS:Source.) I call BS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes, or have you not been reading again?
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1769741:date=May 5 2010, 01:19 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ May 5 2010, 01:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769741"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes, or have you not been reading again?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You mean upgrading.
  • RhodriRhodri Join Date: 2003-06-21 Member: 17575Members
    I'm with Jimyd on this one, Renegade, care to post some links as to how you would build this $300 console killer?
    I seriously tire of doing this on every forum for people who ought to know by now how to build a computer or where to look:
    1. Average computer today is at least higher than <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx" target="_blank">Windows 7</a> minimum specs, which means the average user already has:
    a. Monitor
    b. 1+ Ghz processor
    c. 1+ GB mem
    d. DX9 capable card
    e. storage

Just to be generous, we'll pretend the average computer doesn't already ship with a decent C2D, and <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037" target="_blank">upgrade to a 3.0 Ghz C2D</a> (+170)
    Graphics card will require an upgrade and for the sake of sport, we'll pretend the average console doesn't have a card that's nowhere near the 200 series, particularly <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121359" target="_blank">the GTX 260</a> (+200)
    Again, we'll pretend the average computer doesn't ship with 4GB minimum or that most games don't surpass 2GB and to be safe get another stick of <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134784" target="_blank">DDR3 1GB</a> (+30)

Add that all together 30+200+170 = 400. The average cost of a console (Xbox 360) is $300. And that's neglecting subscription fees, higher-priced games, controllers, etc. So <b>in the worst case scenario</b> where the average user has a below-average PC, for merely $400 they can turn that into a gaming PC that <b>vastly out-performs</b> the nearest console at a price of $300. I used to, but I'm not, going to humour it further by building a PC from console-equivalent components for less than a console because they literally stopped making the parts years ago (try finding an 8700m for sale).
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1769753:date=May 5 2010, 01:39 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ May 5 2010, 01:39 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I seriously tire of doing this on every forum for people who ought to know by now how to build a computer or where to look:
    1. Average computer today is at least higher than <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/get/system-requirements.aspx" target="_blank">Windows 7</a> minimum specs, which means the average user already has:
    a. Monitor
    b. 1+ Ghz processor
    c. 1+ GB mem
    d. DX9 capable card
    e. storage

Just to be generous, we'll pretend the average computer doesn't already ship with a decent C2D, and <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115037" target="_blank">upgrade to a 3.0 Ghz C2D</a> (+170)
    Graphics card will require an upgrade and for the sake of sport, we'll pretend the average console doesn't have a card that's nowhere near the 200 series, particularly <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121359" target="_blank">the GTX 260</a> (+200)
    Again, we'll pretend the average computer doesn't ship with 4GB minimum or that most games don't surpass 2GB and to be safe get another stick of <a href="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134784" target="_blank">DDR3 1GB</a> (+30)

Add that all together 30+200+170 = 400. The average cost of a console (Xbox 360) is $300. And that's neglecting subscription fees, higher-priced games, controllers, etc. So <b>in the worst case scenario</b> where the average user has a below-average PC, for merely $400 they can turn that into a gaming PC that <b>vastly out-performs</b> the nearest console at a price of $300. I used to, but I'm not, going to humour it further by building a PC from console-equivalent components for less than a console because they literally stopped making the parts years ago (try finding an 8700m for sale).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That ignores the fact that PCs have a tendency to be a bit sporadic in their performance, a lot of my games run like crap even though my computer is quite a bit better than that, it also ignores the fact that PC games scale with PCs, so as PCs get better every year to play the newest PC games you will probbaly need the newest PC, not just 'better than the console' as consoles don't get better every year.

That will probably run most games reasonably well, but it won't get you the consistent performance of a console, for that you need a ludicrously good PC and probably quite a bit of tech knowledge to ensure it runs properly as well as the time to set it up optimally, whereas consoles you can just buy and play. PCs also incur plenty of subscirption charges as good ones tend to be power hungry and you still need to pay for the internet, and they usually require upkeep in the form of new parts to keep them cutting edge.

Both PCs and consoles have benefits.
    <!--quoteo(post=1769842:date=May 5 2010, 09:36 AM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ May 5 2010, 09:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769842"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That ignores the fact that PCs have a tendency to be a bit sporadic in their performance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Myth. Read my "Three facts", pay close attention to fact #3.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->PCs also incur plenty of subscirption charges as good ones tend to be power hungry and you still need to pay for the internet.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Myth. XboxLive requires not only a PC's internet connection, but added subscription fees on top of that.
    Everything else you listed is either an outright fabrication or a software concern not to be confused with the platform said software is running on.
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1768229:date=Apr 21 2010, 09:12 PM:name=Daimonin)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Daimonin @ Apr 21 2010, 09:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768229"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Controllers and FPS or RTS just DON'T MIX. Yes, there is fps and rts games on consoles, and I have yet to find one that was actually fun to play without using aim assist. Both of those genres REQUIRE the precision and speed you can get with a mouse, and the number of keys on a keyboard are a big plus too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree.

I don't mind native console controller support, but controller players typically need aim-assist and that's a definite no. If console controller players REALLY want to fight with a controller instead of a mouse and keyboard they should be able to. <i>However</i>, then they shouldn't have any assistance gameplay wise over PC players. As as happened in other games, the console players always start to complain that they can never aim as accurately as other players using a mouse and keyboard. For the sake of complication and shifting developer priorities off-track I'm voting this idea down. Sorry, but I must...

<b>vote <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->no<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></b>

You are welcome to try to convince me to change my mind.

<!--quoteo(post=1768369:date=Apr 23 2010, 01:39 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ Apr 23 2010, 01:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768369"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You know what's a nice thought? You posting on these forums with a controller.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    lol!

(for those that don't get it, he means that you have to select each character individually, one-by-one from a keyboard-like list which is slow and cumbersome)

It was kind of troll-ish for you to post that, but I have to admit that was humorous. Heh :-P

<!--quoteo(post=1769096:date=Apr 29 2010, 03:19 AM:name=Lemming Jesus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Lemming Jesus @ Apr 29 2010, 03:19 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769096"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->No. Sweet Lemming Jesus no.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Much must have changed in my absence, because now I find myself agreeing with much of what you post.

:-)

<!--quoteo(post=1769863:date=May 5 2010, 09:55 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ May 5 2010, 09:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769863"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Myth. XboxLive requires not only a PC's internet connection, but added subscription fees on top of that.
    Everything else you listed is either an outright fabrication or a software concern not to be confused with the platform said software is running on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    QFT.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    holy crap we summoned x5
    <!--quoteo(post=1769753:date=May 5 2010, 08:39 AM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ May 5 2010, 08:39 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769753"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I seriously tire of doing this on every forum for people who ought to know by now how to build a computer or where to look:
    a. Monitor
    b. 1+ Ghz processor
    c. 1+ GB mem
    d. DX9 capable card
    e. storage

Add that all together 30+200+170 = 400. The average cost of a console (Xbox 360) is $300. And that's neglecting subscription fees, higher-priced games, controllers, etc. So <b>in the worst case scenario</b> where the average user has a below-average PC, for merely $400 they can turn that into a gaming PC that <b>vastly out-performs</b> the nearest console at a price of $300. I used to, but I'm not, going to humour it further by building a PC from console-equivalent components for less than a console because they literally stopped making the parts years ago (try finding an 8700m for sale).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sorry but I fail to see how you've proven anything. You haven't built a PC that outperforms a console, you've upgraded one that already has a good enough motherboard to support ddr3 and c2c (yes most modern pcs will support c2c no problem, but I know a fair few people who keep hardware for years), as well as having a solid enough power supply to handle the 260GTX.

I don't get why you're so anti console? I have both and use them for different things, consoles I find better for just relaxing - and in all honestly I'm still generally more wowed by console games graphics due to watching them on a 37" TV.

Allowing the players that want to play with a controller to do so is hardly going to hurt your play experience so why not?
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    this is a horrible idea. truly awful.
    <!--quoteo(post=1769997:date=May 6 2010, 05:57 PM:name=Rhodri)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rhodri @ May 6 2010, 05:57 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1769997"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you've upgraded one that already has a good enough motherboard to support ddr3 and c2c<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Which is what I set out to prove, Q.E.D, had you bothered to read anything in this thread. Why I'm anti-console is a <a href="http://pcgamingcorner.com/wordpress/?p=1851" target="_blank">separate matter</a>, but again, failure to read has led you to believe this is about usage of controllers. It is not. I and most care not should someone prefer masochism by way of playing with controller. What we do care is that no special diligence be paid to them by the developers, especially in the disturbingly anti-FPS way OP is suggesting.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    I like this idea
    console players get their own 'special' server
    and the rest of us normal ppl can argue about why pc's are better than consoles

<u>TO RENEGADE</u>
    i built a computer for 45$ out of scrap yards for a school project
    its possible to build good computers cheap, u just have to accept that 5 dollars for a case is too much
    I estimate that with a 25$ used video card upgrade, my computer could have run HL2 at minimum
    I sincerely hope that UWE optimises ns2 to the point were it runs on as many machines as Source does
  • LoeyLoey Join Date: 2009-10-31 Member: 69187Members
    if you want to play with a controller play with a controller, but dont make special servers for it. if you get owned, then suck it up or ditch the controller and play the game how it was designed to be played
  • ryanericwryanericw Join Date: 2009-08-27 Member: 68624Members
    Go play suckbox or something. Controller only server flags will only split the community more than it needs to be and most people wont use it due to getting spanked by other players using a keyboard/mouse. Joysticks are highly inefficient compared to mouse movements.
    <!--quoteo(post=1770109:date=May 7 2010, 07:25 PM:name=R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (R_e_n_e_g_a_d_e @ May 7 2010, 07:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1770109"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Which is what I set out to prove, Q.E.D, had you bothered to read anything in this thread. Why I'm anti-console is a <a href="http://pcgamingcorner.com/wordpress/?p=1851" target="_blank">separate matter</a>, but again, failure to read has led you to believe this is about usage of controllers. It is not. I and most care not should someone prefer masochism by way of playing with controller. What we do care is that no special diligence be paid to them by the developers, especially in the disturbingly anti-FPS way OP is suggesting.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did read it. I read "Building a gaming rig is cheaper than a console unless you're a complete idiot", and also your reply here:

(Jimyd @ May 4 2010, 08:11 AM) *
    So you can build a gaming rig for $300(PS3 is superior) that isnt used parts? (That can run recent graphic intensive games. Not another peggle remake. Counter-Strike 1.6 and Half-Life are pretty easy to run nowadays too. Heck even my crappy Vista Laptop can run CS:Source.) I call BS.

Yes, or have you not been reading again?"

I'd rather they had the toggle so everyone who wants to play with a controller can go and do so together, simply from the selfish standpoint that I don't want to have a load of teammates using controllers.