I think the new AVP is awful

Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
edited February 2010 in Off-Topic
<div class="IPBDescription">(at the very least multiplayer)</div>Try the demo. Good news for NS2, less competition.

<!--coloro:orange--><span style="color:orange"><!--/coloro-->Thread name edit by Scythe<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Comments

• BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I remember random multiplayer games being bad in AvP 2 demo too, despite the game itself being pretty decent. I'll report back more if I can get the demo working on this laptop.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    been playing a few hours now, im loving it. took some time to get into the controls, but its all very gory and actiony.
    and dm is the part ill play least of in the full game when it arrives, im mostly getting it for the 4 player co-op..mostly
  • WhiteZeroWhiteZero That Guy Join Date: 2004-06-24 Member: 29511Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    I don't see how anyone can call it "awful" unless their totally deluded.
    Sure, it's not perfect and obviously a console port, but I think it's pretty fun and polished.

But NS2 will totally kick it's ass, on that I can agree.
  • DOOManiacDOOManiac Worst. Critic. Ever. Join Date: 2002-04-17 Member: 462Members, NS1 Playtester
    I liked it.

Alien takes some getting used to, but is very fun.

Marine is great, even if you get completely decimated.

Predator is hard to get ahold of though. I've only gotten like 3 predator kills. :(

I still can't wait for the SP though. :D
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    I sat and waited ten minutes for it to find me a game. It didn't. I quit.

GIVE ME A GOD DAMNED SERVER BROWSER YOU WORTHLESS PUSBAGS.

--Scythe--
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    edited February 2010
    I loved the previous installations, been keeping tabs on this for quite some time, but I know a part of me will die inside if what you're saying is true.

Shoddy console port?

Matchmaking instead of server browser?

Nuts.

Downloading... DONE!

So far unimpressed. Ages looking at "Searching for game" and a blinking underscore.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited February 2010
    Well this matchmaking does work with Left4Dead for 4-8 players... But I just can't see how this is going to work for those 20+ DM servers...

Aren't these matchmaking servers also more expensive for the developers to maintain, or are we talking about shady listen servers?

I'll probably only get it for the awesomeness that is Aliens vs Predator single player (now coop?) is where it's at (or should be :P)
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    I would say the lobby looks awesome if it actually let me play the damn game.
  • Sub_zer0Sub_zer0 Join Date: 2004-05-09 Member: 28569Members
    i played it, thought it had a bit of a steep learning curve and felt a little unbalanced and frustrating but maybe thats just death match.
    I don't think I would buy it it doesn't feel right to me how ever I bet the single player would be good and some of the game modes will make up it is still an early version so I will keep my mind open
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    The link to install the Steam demo doesn't even work for me
    I have to withdraw my previous statement and disclose being in complete agreement with the thread title after the matchmaking finally let me see what the game itself looks like.

What were they thinking?
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    What's wrong with it?
    <!--quoteo(post=1750717:date=Feb 4 2010, 06:16 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 4 2010, 06:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750717"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What's wrong with it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know where to start, and I don't see a reason to.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    After playing it for an hour here's my assessment:

1) Levels are too bright (if you compare the light levels to the original AvP it's like las vegas. Most places are well lit and the marine torches illuminate a heck of a lot).

2) Instant Kills = not very instant. Instead of a quick headbite you have to go through an elaborate kill animation if you 'grab' someone. These were usually long enough to get me killed, not to mention it's hard to tell who's killing who when you come across one which has led to some friendly fire :s

3) Random stickiness. Aliens don't seem to have a very consistent rule for sticking to stuff. With auto-transition off you still stick to walls if you walk off things which confuzzled me a good many times. If I wanted to stick I'd have held down the mouse button dammit :p Not to mention that on some portions of the ceiling you have to click the transition again to keep moving because the angle is too steep or something. Overall it's not very well done and your best bet is to run about holding down the middle mouse (not the best key for it either if you ask me ¬.¬)

4) Controls = what? Q to sprint? Really? and it's a modifier not actual sprint either so to sprint you have to hold Q and W. Weird.

5) Alien Vision could be better. For some reason they've changed it to left 4 Dead vision which is disorientating. To be more specific, you only see prey outlines if you don't have a direct line of sight. This basically means you'll be stalking someone, then they'll dissapear and you'll wonder what happened. What happened is you just got direct line of sight to them but the models don't stand out much against the level so having lost the obvious indicator you're left trying to spot a subtle silhouette. In the original AvP they just kept the outlines at all times which I feel was better.

5) It's behiiiiind you. That's right... marine scanners beep if there's stuff behind you. I could still sneak up on other marines as alien but when I was marine myself you had zero chance of getting to me unnoticed. I dominated the server pretty hard when I was stuck with marine (top score while simultaneously typing venom about how I hate marine and want to change race). Luckily I worked out how the confusing race selection worked after that round and I escaped from my human shackles to confusing xeno experience I belong to :p

There's lots more complaints I could come up with but my initial experience was very off putting. I've been seeing a lot of down opinions on it. Hopefully a bit more time might clear the alien up for me, or maybe the controls are just really poop. I'll have to mess about and work out how you use 'focus' exactly too :p
  • briktalbriktal Join Date: 2003-08-20 Member: 20021Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    <!--coloro:grey--><span style="color:grey"><!--/coloro-->I haven't had a chance to play the demo yet but I'm hoping the devs who made Shellshock 2 and Rogue Warrior won't let me down.<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

~~Sickle~~
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Because Rogue Warrior was just that awesome.... /sarcasm
  • SgtPrinnySgtPrinny Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68526Members
    If you're having trouble getting into a game there's a steam group that's dedicated completely to letting people join games directly. Though the chat can get pretty spammy ("INVITE MEEEEE" "INVITE DOESN'T WORK!" "INVITE MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" "INVITE ME!")

The key layout looks like it was made by someone who has never played a FPS in his life.

The 1-hit melee attacks are WAY too easy to do. you can grab someone from further away than your melee attack can reach. Once you grab someone there is no way for them to escape.

All melee attacks stun, And heavy attacks open your enemy up for an instant kill.

The combistick is exclusively a throwing weapon now... you have an infinite amount of them to throw too...

attacking decloaks you, no matter what weapon you use.

Aliens can chase their tails...No, really!

Pretty much the only change that I like(with the exception of chasing your tail) is the reworking of the predator's super jump: you hold shift, and it shows a panel that will emit light if you are close enough and are allowed to jump on that surface. you then can press space to do a feathery light jump to that location.

Aliens also have the ability to jump to any surface in a certain range(which is pretty long, you can jump from the floor to most ceilings easily). If the surface you're pointing to is in range, your crosshair will change a little. I'm pretty iffy about this function. It seems to make aliens a little TOO mobile.

Aliens have gotten a buff when it comes to healing: they now regenerate health all the time instead of needing to eat corpses(which you can still do, btw) this basically means that aliens with low health can crawl onto a dark ceiling and regenerate instead of having to kill more people.

Yeah, I think I'm just going to save my money for now and see if I can get AvP2 to work on Vista...
  • RellixRellix Join Date: 2003-02-15 Member: 13572Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Ill start with things I dislike with the demo (some of which will be fixed just by the full release being not a demo):

1 - DM only and 8 player limit
    2 - No dedicated servers makes game quality very very variable
    3 - NO HOST MIGRATION FOR WHEN A HOST LEAVES!
    4 - DX 9 only until release, I wanted to test out my hardware and see how it handles
    5 - Bad default controls (although I can easily fix this its just not mapped in any sensible way)
    6 - The menus move very cumbersomely as if they had a controller in mind and this bugs me as more and more ports make there way to the PC. If I want to change something mid game it shouldn't take me 4 or 5 seconds to get back to the game after Iv changed it.
    7 - A little too bright but again with some messing I think I can fix this.

Things I like:

1 - Its AvP
    2 - The demo level has some nice hiding places, above, below, side to side, despite its relatively small size although.
    3 - Only played the marine so far and seemed
    4 - The little messages on loading screens are nice but a few too many for a massive plus.
    5 - More to follow when I get around to playing more.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    edited February 2010
    I find it funny in another thread I was talking about a lack of demo's for the PC. AvP releases a mp demo, which I didn't see coming, and people complain.

I've been following this game loosely. In the actual game there will be dedicated servers, the max player cap is 18, dx11 will be supported. I feel like the control scheme was definitely made for consoles then ported to PC. It will take some getting use to but I enjoy the pace of the game far more than most other FPSs. I agree with most criticisms made, especially the poor default key mapping and 1-hit melee being too easy to pull off.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Aren't people complaining about the quality of the demo, instead of the provision of one? Two different things bro.
  • TykjenTykjen Join Date: 2003-01-21 Member: 12552Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <center><object width="450" height="356"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/scDdcJo47-g"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/scDdcJo47-g" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="450" height="356"></embed></object></center>

That vid should be inspirational or turn some heads on those that might not get into the controls of this game.
    In melee its alot more about timing than i thought, learnd alot from this vid.
    <!--quoteo(post=1750852:date=Feb 5 2010, 05:26 AM:name=BadMouth)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BadMouth @ Feb 5 2010, 05:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750852"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Aren't people complaining about the quality of the demo, instead of the provision of one? Two different things bro.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    True, but it may explain why there aren't a lot of demos around: If your game is ######, releasing a demo will cost you sales. Better to just release the game and hope that as many eagerly waiting fans of the previous games as possible gobble it up before everyone realizes that it's a ######pile in game costume.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1750861:date=Feb 5 2010, 07:10 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Feb 5 2010, 07:10 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->True, but it may explain why there aren't a lot of demos around: If your game is ######, releasing a demo will cost you sales. Better to just release the game and hope that as many eagerly waiting fans of the previous games as possible gobble it up before everyone realizes that it's a ######pile in game costume.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.

A many a games demo had lead me away from the full game.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I waited 10 minutes in that game finder ######e and quit in disgust.

I'll try again later.
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    edited February 2010
    Tried it, didn't like it, here's why:

* voicecom is enabled by default, in the lobby, lots of static, hissing
    * quickmatch doesn't work, but you can join a public AVP group and join on people their names, what's wrong with old style hosting/joining?
    * press E to jump on a crate, pick up a weapon, jump up that ledge, feed the dog, pay 50 bucks for AvP3 oh wait, well you get the point, what is this, a console game?
    * slowest walking speed ever, marine can't run for too long either, default button Q, wtf?
    * melee, how does this even work? homing instant kill?
    * animated death scenes, looks great the first few times, really annoys afterwards
    * weird wide FOV
    * cluttered HUD
    * haven't found out how to choose species

At least the graphics look okay, I guess.
    Boy did they make a mistake calling this their demo, they should have named it beta, as it is pre-release code.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    Ah, yeah, I should have mentioned how to change species for those who were confuzzled by it like me :3

If you look at the species portrait you'll notice there's 3 tiny badges on it. Rather than clicking on the portrait like most people do what you want to do is try to click on the teeny tiny badges. They change your race =D

Go go gadget user experience!!! It's more like an easter egg than a User Interface :s
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    So, I really like the demo. All of the issues I've had with it so far as basically grounded in the 'PC parts' being very blatantly grafted on to a console title. If they fix those, I'll love the game in general.

<!--QuoteBegin-"Rellix"+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE ("Rellix")</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteEBegin-->5 - Bad default controls (although I can easily fix this its just not mapped in any sensible way)
    6 - The menus move very cumbersomely as if they had a controller in mind and this bugs me as more and more ports make there way to the PC. If I want to change something mid game it shouldn't take me 4 or 5 seconds to get back to the game after Iv changed it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This basically summarises all my issues. And they could be resolved before release, as long as Rebellion take them onboard.
  • KhazeKhaze Join Date: 2006-12-12 Member: 59031Members
    The potential is there, but overall I'm of the opinion it is not a worthy successor to the two previous installations, not in it's current state. It has too many things in there that are great in concept but the execution is terrible.

They had no reason to go change the core mechanics from earlier games for wallwalking and... something as simple as dying? Killmoves? Are you joking? In a singleplayer, sure, but oh god oh why in multiplayer? I don't want to be frozen in place when I'm eating someone's head off, nor do I want to be frozen in place when I'm getting my head eaten off. Just die and get on with it.

The jump system is terrible for Aliens. It's like I'm back in kindergarden and I'm getting slapped on the fingers for doing something wrong. WHY WON'T YOU LET ME JUMP IF I PRESS THE JUMP BUTTON? BECAUSE I'M NOT CLOSE ENOUGH TO THE WALL I'M LOOKING AT? F YOU. JUST LET ME JUMP! So much for quick getaways. You try to leap the hell out of harm's way but end up doing a miserable hop (even I could do better) and die because you were an inch too far from the wall and the long leap wouldn't initiate.

And what about locking my camera in place? So I engaged that marine and he's lying on his ass there, fine, but I just saw a predator running at me and he's going to killmove my ass if I don't jump away. ######. The camera is locked! I'm gonna die! Oh there we go, now to just leap away... ######. I'm too far from the wall! Oh I'm dead already. Hello there mister Predator, shiny blades you got there.

Wallwalk... urgh. I don't get motion sick or anything like that, but sometimes you just need to stick to the floor so you don't get torn to shreds by the Pred your dueling because you backpedaled in to a box and lost sight of him for a second. So why can't I? Force wallwalk on all the time? Did you guys fall on your head? This wasn't in the earlier games and it was great. Why change that? Oh and don't get me started about turning auto-transition off. It started out that way and it was even more terrible. The transition button worked when it wanted to and you ended up getting killed while walking at a wall trying to walk upwards.

The wallwalk system was FINE in AvP2. Why did you mess that up?

I could go on and on but most of it has already been said. Ultimately, my first statement still stands. There's potential; it's just not being used.
    <!--quoteo(post=1750908:date=Feb 5 2010, 01:13 PM:name=Khaze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Khaze @ Feb 5 2010, 01:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1750908"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The wallwalk system was FINE in AvP2. Why did you mess that up?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Really? Having the POV spin like a gyroscope inside a tumbledryer inside a cement mixer truck was fine? I never get motionsick, but that game nearly did me in.
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    I've found that a <i>huge</i> issue is the default control scheme. It makes the game seem so much more difficult and clunky than it really is.