Custom Map Build Question

FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">layout, prop count</div>I have two quick questions...

1. The rooms shown in the preview images look fantastic! But do you really want entire walls covered in props?! Doesn't this really defeat the purpose of texturing the wall at all? I mean, yes I entend to put alot of props in, but I wouldn't be surprised if in those pictures the entire room was just a square and then every 'surface' within it was a prop! Of course I'm still prototyping my level design, but when it comes time to make it nice and shiny should I be aiming for an all-prop walls look or for a props-attract-the-eye look?

2. With regards to Marine tech trees becoming more available as they capture key rooms and place command chairs within, can I assume that these tech rooms are limited to 3 per map, with the first being marine start? Will marine start be randomized between these three locations? (If so I will have to re-work my intended map layout as I started off with a standard ns1 layout and then added 2 tech points halfway between hives 1 & 2, and between hives 2 & 3 - if marine start is randomized then I'll have to change tech points to more outer locations so that they don't start out in a position that has already cut off any hive.)

Comments

• Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited January 2010
    1. Probably depends on what you're going for in any particular case. Most generally, developers wanted prop-heavy environments because... Well. Flat walls look bland. We'll get a better idea of how prop-heavy original maps are once the team themselves finalize on that.
    2. Hive/rine starts will be fixed this time around. However, this is not the final decision.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    1. As for me, I usually go for half geometry and half props. It makes the map lighter for the computer and as well for the gameplay.

2. Both team starts are fixed like Draco mentioned but you have to know that extra tech points are not specific to a team, they can be taken by either team. So you should have between 4 and 6 tech points (including the team starts) in your map.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1749813:date=Jan 30 2010, 09:11 AM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Jan 30 2010, 09:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->1. As for me, I usually go for half geometry and half props. It makes the map lighter for the computer and as well for the gameplay.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what the team is shooting for. Using a mixture of brush work and props to to acheive the balance of looks and performance. Obviously one room may have more props or brush work depending, but don't go too far in either direction really.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    But Comprox... The shadows they cast are soooo cooooool :P
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749813:date=Jan 30 2010, 08:11 AM:name=Pipi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pipi @ Jan 30 2010, 08:11 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749813"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So you should have between 4 and 6 tech points (including the team starts) in your map.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You should have between 2 and 4 tech points. Team starts are not tech points. Think of the tech points like hives 2 and 3, except for marines also. If you have 2 points, only one team can get to level 3, or both can get to level 2. If you have 4, both teams can get to level 3.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The diagram UWE gave in one of their updates for the power grid system had 6 tech points, and 8 resource towers.
  • noncomposmentisnoncomposmentis Join Date: 2004-11-13 Member: 32773Members
    I'm following the mapping guidelines, which are sticked in this forum. I'd assume, since the guidelines are newer than <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/2009/4/marine_power_grid_design" target="_blank">this post</a>, which I assume you're referencing, that the terms have undergone revision.
  • FarrenFarren Join Date: 2005-03-13 Member: 45065Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    As far as the room design I can definitely find myself a good balance of props vs. textures. Of course they're all textures to begin with, adding detail later on. I'm leaning a bit more towards textures as I create each room because I'm finding myself having trouble adding props in all over the place. Sometimes a wall is just a wall. As I look up, I see one right now. Well, there's a picture on it.... I guess that would be a prop. OK you win.

Anyway I was working on getting the marine start looking semi-nice just to get used to the whole prop thing, and I found that my biggest problem with wall props was that they just sort of come out of nowhere. Which is ok for a console or some pipes hanging in a hallway, but when it comes time to cover all (or nearly all) of a wall with props, they seem to always come out looking either too stretched or repeated too often. Well I'll keep working on finding the right balance <i>after</i> I get the level design re-sketched.

As far as tech points are concerned, I never realized that it is now point-based for the aliens. I always assumed they would follow the same upgrade path as NS1, so thx to everyone for clearing that up for me.

<!--quoteo(post=1749843:date=Jan 30 2010, 02:49 PM:name=noncomposmentis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noncomposmentis @ Jan 30 2010, 02:49 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749843"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Think of the tech points like hives 2 and 3, except for marines also. If you have 2 points, only one team can get to level 3, or both can get to level 2. If you have 4, both teams can get to level 3.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That's a good way to think about things, thanks. My map is going to be small-medium sized, so I actually do think I will limit it to 3 tech points. More competition that way over the key areas, less focus on the back room with a resource node.